VoidRuler's Role Idea Workshop

Old Role Ideas

VoidRuler's Role Idea Workshop

Postby VoidRuler » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:35 pm

This is basically where all of my role ideas will be. This will also include some entirely new roles, buffs/nerfs, and any other edits to existing or fan-made roles. Enjoy and please give criticism on this post for them, or on the original post for them if there is one.

Recent Changes:
Spoiler: 11/16/2015 -- Added lore for both the Blinder and Reaper. Credit goes to Rossendale for them.
11/21/2015 -- Added a variation of the Reaper's role card. In this version, they appear as a Medium and can speak to all of the dead.
11/23/2015 -- Added another idea for the Blinder's Investigation results. These conform to Orange's Investigation Results: Your target is a loner. They must be a Retributionist, Vampire Hunter, Blinder, or Witch. (PLEASE tell me if this should be changed!). I also PM'd Bloodringe the Blinder as a role idea submission for the Testing Grounds. It also has it's own topic now.
11/25/2015 -- Changed Blinder so that it can use it's ability three times instead of twice now.
12/5/2015 -- Changed Blinder's Investigator results to: "Your target is a loner. They must be a Retributionist, Vampire Hunter, Blinder, or Witch."
12/9/2015 -- Added Retri Nerf, forgot to add it earlier. Might be doing some minor changes to the Blinder soon, like giving their ability unlimited uses, or bumping the number of uses.
12/9/2015 -- Added a new role idea, Vampire Elder to Neutral Role Ideas. Removed some scrapped ideas to keep the original post from getting too clogged.
3/17/2017 -- Added more things to Scrapped Role Ideas section.

TL;DR
Idealist - A reverse-Executioner. Instead of having to lynch your target, you have to protect your target and prevent them from being lynched/killed for a certain time period. You also get a shield to use once per game to shield your target from attacks or executions.

Reaper - An evil Medium, win conditions similar to the Witch (can win with NK or Mafia). Can see what dead neutral or mafia members say. When dead, can seance a living evil or mafia role, and wins with whichever one is victorious.
Variation of Reaper (work in progress) -- a version where it shows up as "Medium" to the dead and can see all of the dead's comments, while keeping all of the other ideas the same.

Blinder - Blinds players, disallowing them to see any messages or whispers during one day. Can only do this twice three times per game.

(Scrapped) Alien - Abducts players, disallowing them from being visited or targetted (excluding from Jailor). Can only do this twice per game.
------------------
Current Role Ideas:

Town Roles
Retributionist Nerf - In a similar fashion to Amnesiac, Retributionists cannot revive if they die the same night they try to.
Spoiler: Original Topic: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=33655
Retributionist can only revive the selected target if they survive the night, similar to how Amnesiac won't remember if they die the same night they try to.
If they die the same night when trying to revive someone, the player remains dead.

Mafia Roles
Blinder {Mafia Deception}
Now Has it's Own Topic: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/vi ... 27&t=33230
Spoiler: Role Name: Blinder

Alignment: Mafia Deception

Abilities:
Choose one person each night to blind.
You may do this up to three times per game.

Attributes:
After being blinded, blinded targets cannot see whispers or chat the next day.
If there are no kill capable Mafia roles left, you will become a Mafioso.
You can talk with the other Mafia at night.

Goal: Kill anyone that will not submit to the mafia.

Win Conditions:
Must kill the Town
Must kill Serial Killers
Must kill Arsonists
Must kill Werewolves
Must kill Vampires
Wins with the Mafia
Wins with Witches
Wins with Survivors

Investigation Results:
Investigator - Your target is a loner. They must be a Retributionist, Vampire Hunter, Blinder, or Witch.
Consigliere - Your target blinds people. They must be a Blinder.
Sheriff - Your target is a member of the mafia.

Additional Comments:
You can still see who the Town is voting if you are blinded.
Blind targets are not permanently blinded, the blind only lasts one day.

Blinder Lore/Backstory:
Spoiler: "Smile!" The man wasn't even given a chance to react as a bright light flashed straight in his face, accompanied by the sound of a photograph picture being developed. Ruefully rubbing his eyes, the man looked around to see who had done this to him. However, there was noone. Meanwhile, the man with the camera grinned widely to himself, looking at the picture of the surprised and shocked man. Another score for his Wall of Fame. This man, otherwise known as the Blinder, was a photographer who cared less for capturing the perfect shot and more for eliciting the perfect, priceless reactions from his poor victims. He started off as a simple, modest man, taking pictures of people as he strolled the city square of Salem. However, one day the man that he photographed complained about the flash from his camera being too bright. As he walked off, muttering curses at the Blinder, the young man stood the laughing to himself. Somehow, the found the reaction incredibly funny. He decided to try again, but with an ever brighter flash. He got the same reaction as before, but with even more shouting and cursing! How fun was that? The Blinder soon became the bane of Salem, taking pictures of people and torturing their eyes with the intolerably bright flashes from his camera. He soon became a master at this, appearing out of nowhere, taking the shot, and disappearing before the victim could do anything. Unluckily for the Blinder, one day he decided to try his tricks on someone that noone wants to mess with. The Godfather. The first part worked brilliantly, the Blinder having taken the flashy (hah) shot of the Godfather and disappearing before he could react. However, what was not planned was running into his two mafiosos on the way out. Finding himself cornered, the Blinder begged for mercy. Through the searing pain in his eyeballs, the Godfather still realized that a man like that could be useful. Having become a compulsory member of the mafia, the Blinder takes photos under the command of the Godfather now, and although he is given free reign in his work, he knows that in the end he'll live and die serving the Family.

Neutral Roles
Idealist {Neutral Evil}
Original Topic: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/vi ... 27&t=30583
Spoiler: This role is basically like a reverse-Executioner, but it's target can be any role except for other Neutral Evils and Benigns. I suppose the only major flaw with this role would be that if your target is a Mayor/Spy, similar to Executioner except positive for you, you basically get a free win.

Role Name: Idealist
Formerly known as "Supporter", but I chose a more specific and unique name instead, the "Idealist"

Alignment: Neutral Evil

Abilities:
Make sure your target is not lynched or killed at night until Day 5.
You may provide your target with a shield once per game.
Your target cannot be a Mayor, Spy, or Jester.

Attributes:
Your target is <Target Name>.

Goal: Protect your target from dying.

Win Conditions:
Wins with your target's factions and whoever they win with.

Results:
Investigator - Your target is a protector. They must be a Bodyguard, Jailor, Idealist, or a Lookout.
Sheriff - Your target is an Idealist!
Consigliere - Your target is generous and helps their cause. They must be an Idealist.

Additional Comments:
You don't know your target's role.
The shield protects against jailor execution and gives night-immunity. I might take out the jailor execution protection, as it might be a bit overpowered.
I might also change it so that you can shield your target twice, but I believe for that to happen without being overpowered, I would have to drop protection from jailor execution.
I'm thinking about having a message pop up for Jailor if the Supporter used their shield, "You failed to execute the jailed target!". The message when attacked will be immune, same as when a Survivor vests, or when someone actually is immune.
As to why I chose the Sheriff results, it's because the Supporter's target can be mafia, so I think the Sheriff should have the right to know about the "mafia helper".
I might also add a backstory later.

Tweaks:
I edited the abilities so that Idealist needs to protect their target until Day 5, after listening to Jerme's suggestion. The original idea was the Supporter had to protect their target all game, but, I realized that was a little bit difficult.
I'm considering changing the name of this role. My main picks for the name are: Idealist, Supporter, and Protector. I think Idealist sounds more specific and "professional" than Supporter. EDIT: The role name has now been changed from Supporter to Idealist.
Debating on whether or not the Idealist should have to protect their target until Day 4 or Day 5.

Reaper {Neutral Evil}
Original Topic: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/vi ... 27&t=30635
Spoiler: It's basically an evil version of a Medium.

Role Name: Reaper

Abilities:
When dead, seance to a living neutral or mafia role at night.

Attributes:
You will speak to the dead neutral and mafia roles anonymously each night you are alive.
You may only speak to a living person once.

Goal: Work with the neutral and mafia roles to foil Town's plans. Survive to see the Town lose, or seance the victorious side.

Wins Conditions:
Must kill the Town
Wins with Vampires
Wins with the Mafia
Wins with Serial Killers
Wins with Arsonists
Wins with Witches
Wins with Werewolves
Wins with Survivors

Investigation Results:
Investigator - Your target works with dead bodies. They must be a Reaper, Janitor, or Medium.
Consigliere - Your target summons the evil spirits of the dead. They must be a Reaper.
Sheriff - Your target is not suspicious.

Additional Comments:
Only the dead neutral and mafia members can hear you. Dead Town members cannot hear you.
You cannot hear what dead Town members say.
Town members can still hear what the dead neutral and mafia members say to the Reaper. So can Mediums.
I'm thinking about making Reaper detectable to the Sheriff, but I'm not sure if I should let it be NS, similar to how Witch is NS.
The dead cannot hear what you are saying when you seance to the alive neutral/mafia role.
The Reaper's seance is during the daytime, as opposed to Medium's night seance, considering mafia have a maf chat at night. But, I might consider making it a night seance like Medium's.
The message shown when a Reaper is seancing a player will be shown as: "A Reaper has dragged your soul away. Now you can speak openly to them!"

Tweaks:
Changed day time seance to night seance like Medium's.
Can only win while alive, or if the seanced target is victorious.
Seance message changed to "A Reaper has dragged your soul away. Now you can speak openly to them!"

Variation 2 Role Card of Reaper (Appears as Medium to dead):
Spoiler: This is an alternative role card idea for the role. In this version, it can talk to all of the dead, and appears as a Medium to the dead. But, it also can be detected by the Sheriff as a Reaper, to balance it out.

Role Name: Reaper

Abilities:
When dead, séance to a living neutral or mafia role at night.

Attributes:
You will speak to the dead at night anonymously each night you are alive. You will appear to be a “Medium”.
You may only speak to a living person once through your séance.

Goal: Survive to see Town lose or séance the victorious side.

Win Conditions:
Must kill the Town
Wins with Vampires
Wins with the Mafia
Wins with Serial Killers
Wins with Arsonists
Wins with Witches
Wins with Werewolves
Wins with Survivors

Investigation Results:
Investigator – Your target works with dead bodies. They must be a Reaper, Janitor, or Medium.
Consigliere – Your target summons the evil spirits of the dead. They must be a Reaper.
Sheriff – Your target is a Reaper.

Reaper Lore/Backstory:
Spoiler: In Salem, they say that God guides the innocent, leaving the sinners lost and confused. But that is not true, for the evildoers of Salem also have a patron. He is the Reaper, a maleficent demon who is the "guardian angel" of all of the criminals, murderers and psychopaths in the town. He was born on a special night, when the moon was full and bad omens hung in the air. A lonely soul scurried across the graveyard, clutching secret tomes beneath the folds ofhis robe. The man were headed for the graveyard, his cold sweat sticking to his skin. It was obvious the person was incredibly frightened, but also full of a weird kind of conviction. The man's steps were sure-footed, and his brow was knotted in a determined frown. He was headed for a particular grave. It had simple engravings of a deceased woman. The man traced his hand slowly across the name on the gravestone, tears pooling at the edge of his eyes. Shaking his head rapidly, the man set out his books in front of him. He knew the ritual would be more perilous than ever, but he also knew that magic, especially of the dark kind, would be augmented today. He had to try. Reading off of the acient text, the man began reciting the ritual. The grass around him swirled, his robe fluttered, some of the gravestones even became cracked, but he still carried on. A dark circle appeared on the ground in front of him, and though he was scared the man persevered. Finally, something emerged from the dark ring. But it wasn't the man's beloved, no. It was a vile, cowled creature with a giant scythe and terrible, boned hands. It turned its' faceless hood to the man. "Are you truly that desparate to see her again?" It asked in a raspy, chilling voice. The man gulped, nodding his head. "Very well. You shall see her now." With one fell swing, the Reaper cut the man down where he stood. After that, the creature turned its' thoughts to Salem. He knew that there were many sinners there, people with malicious intentions. He would be their shephard. Under his guidance, they would bring doom to the town.

-----------------------
Scrapped Ideas (either unnecessary as a result of new patches or I don't really plan on doing anything with them right now):

Alien
Spoiler: Role Name: Alien

Abilities:
Target up to one person at night to be abducted.

Attributes:
When abducted, the target cannot be visited or targetted by anyone (except for Jailor).
You have two abductions.

Goal: Survive to see the Town lose the game.

Win Conditions:
Must kill the Town
Wins with Serial Killers
Wins with Arsonists
Wins with Werewolves
Wins with Vampires
Wins with the Mafia
Wins with Survivors

Investigation Results:
Investigator - Your target is a loner. They must be a Survivor, Witch, Werewolf, or Alien. // Or // Your target is a [undecided, not sure how to relate these two]. They must be an Amnesiac or an Alien.
Sheriff - Your target is not suspicious.
Consigliere - Your target is an Alien. They abduct humans in the midst of the night.

Additional Comments:
I was originally going to make it so they could abduct every Full Moon, but I didn't want it to be unbalanced. Same with the exclusion of Jailor visits, I didn't want to make it unbalanced and allow the Alien to prevent jailing.
Might change it to 3, but making someone not be able to be visited is a powerful thing in some cases.
When trying to visit an abducted target, a message will appear (not entirely sure what yet; if you have suggestions, please reply with them).
I have absolutely no clue what the flavor text should be if the Invest results are Amne/Alien.

Tweaks:
None so far.

Vampire Elder {Neutral Chaos}
Spoiler: This is intended to buff Vampires, as they're currently pretty weak and underpowered. Basically, the oldest Vampire will be shown as Vampire Elder in the Vampire Box. They will act as a somewhat "Godfather" for the Vampires. If the Vampire Elder dies, only once can the next oldest Vampire become another Vampire Elder.

Role Name: Vampire Elder

Alignment: Neutral Chaos

Abilities:
If there is a tie as to who to bite, your vote is the final decision.
You can't be killed at night, unless staked by a Vampire Hunter.
You can talk to the other Vampires at night.

Attributes:
You will be shown as a regular Vampire to non-Vampires.

Goal: Convert everyone that would oppose you.

Win Conditions:
Win with other Vampires
Win with Witches
Win with Survivors
Must kill the Town
Must kill the Mafia
Must kill Serial Killers
Must kill Arsonists
Must kill the Werewolf

Special Attributes: Unique Role, Night Immunity
Last edited by VoidRuler on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 63 times in total.
VoidRuler
Mafioso
Mafioso

Re: VoidRuler's Role Idea Workshop

Postby Jerme » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:06 pm

The Blinder is interesting as idea, and is able to cause chaos to the town. I am not sure if this would work though..
There is an open question for me: Is the blinded person able to tell the town that they are not able to notice what happens?
I suggest here to raise the uses to three to adapt to the other Mafia.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ShortcutButton » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:12 pm

The Reaper is a one-shot séance? That's it?
That's quite underpowered
ShortcutButton
Forger
Forger

Postby VoidRuler » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:27 pm

Jerme wrote:The Blinder is interesting as idea, and is able to cause chaos to the town. I am not sure if this would work though..
There is an open question for me: Is the blinded person able to tell the town that they are not able to notice what happens?
I suggest here to raise the uses to three to adapt to the other Mafia.

I thought about that, and was going to make the blinded target not able to speak, but then that makes the Blinder already a replacement for Blackmailer.
And even then, blackmailed targets usually spam votes to signal blackmailing. Even if they're blackmailed and town knows it, it still can cause noticeable damage. Same with the blinded target, even if Town knows they are blinded.

But yes, the blinded person is able to tell the town they are blinded.

ShortcutButton wrote:The Reaper is a one-shot séance? That's it?
That's quite underpowered

Well, when it's alive, it can still tell evil roles in the form of a will or whisper (if there's no Spy) what the dead evil/mafia say, and as a result, what dead Towns are saying due to the evil/mafia pointing it out to them.
But, I see your point. I'm thinking of adding another ability to the Reaper. Possibly being able to speak with mafia/evil role without knowing their name while living (probably limited to twice per game or something, but then I'd have to take out another ability like the seance), or something like that. Do you have any suggestions?
VoidRuler
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby ShortcutButton » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:53 pm

I'm sorry, does the Reaper talk to the dead while alive like a Medium? I never saw it on the rolecard.
If so its fine. If not then that's your fix, the living séance probably wont be necessary.
It is called the reaper, so perhaps you could give it a jester haunt...
ShortcutButton
Forger
Forger

Postby VoidRuler » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:37 pm

ShortcutButton wrote:I'm sorry, does the Reaper talk to the dead while alive like a Medium? I never saw it on the rolecard.
If so its fine. If not then that's your fix, the living séance probably wont be necessary.
It is called the reaper, so perhaps you could give it a jester haunt...

They do speak to the dead while alive like a Medium, which is why I called it "basically an evil version of a Medium".
I figured the first attribute:
VoidRuler wrote:You will speak to the dead neutral and mafia roles anonymously each night you are alive.

made that clear. I'm guessing you got mixed up with the ability, which says when dead to talk to a neutral/mafia, that is the "seance" counterpart. I can reword the ability/seance to make that more clear.
VoidRuler
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby VoidRuler » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:31 am

Bump and Update:

I'm planning on adding a role that can roleblock a player at night, while also giving them night immunity (only on full moons), but it is limited to up to 2 times for the Town Variant. I really want this role to be a neutral, leaning more towards neutral benign, but I might also decide to make it a neutral evil. I'm not sure what to call it as of late. But that's a new role I plan on making sometime this week when I finish all the details.

So far, I have some variations on what I think it'll turn out to be -- a Neutral Benign variant, and a Town variant that's Support/Protective (undecided right now) variant:

Neutral Variant:
Role Name: ???

Alignment: Neutral Benign

Abilities:
You may target a player to freeze every full moon.

Attributes:
While frozen, the target is roleblocked, but has night immunity.

Goal: Survive until the end of the game.

Wins With:
Win with the Town
Win with the Mafia
Win with Serial Killers
Win with Arsonists
Win with Witches
Win with Werewolves
Win with Survivors

Investigative results:
Sheriff - Your target is Not Suspicious.
Investigator - Your target works with weapons. They must be a Vigilante, Veteran, Mafioso, or ???. -- (since they use a "freeze ray")
Consigliere - Your target has a freeze ray. They must be a ???.

Town Variant:
Role Name: ???

Alignment: Town Support or Town Protective

Abilities:
You may freeze a player every full moon up to 2 times.

Attributes:
When frozen, the target is roleblocked and is given night immunity.

Goal: Lynch every criminal and evildoer.

Wins With:
Town and Survivors

Investigative Results:
Sheriff - Your target is Not Suspicious.
Investigator - Your target works with weapons. They must be a Vigilante, Veteran, Mafioso, or ???. -- (since they use a "freeze ray")
Consigliere - Your target has a freeze ray. They must be a ???.
VoidRuler
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby Jerme » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:07 am

I do like the concept which you have chosen. As always I have a couple of questions listed below:
- Can the ??? freeze themselves?
- Has it Roleblockimmunity?
- Goes mauling through the freeze ray?
- What happens, when a Werewolf is frozen?
- Is this role unique?

If you take name suggestions, mine would be "Jack Frost". (It is the name of a spell which summons a snowman with hte same name in the game "Guildwars")
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby VoidRuler » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:20 am

Jerme wrote:I do like the concept which you have chosen. As always I have a couple of questions listed below:
- Can the ??? freeze themselves?
- Has it Roleblockimmunity?
- Goes mauling through the freeze ray?
- What happens, when a Werewolf is frozen?
- Is this role unique?

If you take name suggestions, mine would be "Jack Frost". (It is the name of a spell which summons a snowman with hte same name in the game "Guildwars")

They can only freeze others.
It doesn't have roleblock immunity, I feel like if it did that it would be a bit too overpowered.
I'm not completely decided on it as it's just a concept right now, but I plan on it being immune to mauling.
When a Werewolf is frozen, the ??? will die.
This role is unique, I was planning on it being so but I forgot to add it.

And yes, I am taking name suggestions. Jack Frost does seem like a good name, I'll consider it.

I'll most likely finish up the role and finalize it sometime this week.
VoidRuler
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby Jerme » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:12 am

I looked now into your Reaper. The concept of a neutral Medium, with slight regulations, is a good idea.
Now to my usual statements/questions
- The Sheriff should NOT find the Reaper, since that role is not capable of finding N:Es
- Can the Reaper seance everyone and thus win with the town?
- Is the Reaper able to talk to every dead player, or do they have still their regulations?
- Can a Medium talk to a dead Reaper?
- What is your opinion towards limiting the time the Reaper could seance after their death (otherwise they could seance when the winning party is confirmed --> victory easily archieved)?
- Random Idea: Should a living Reaper decide at day if they want to have a private dead chat with a non towny at night, which noone else can hear (1-3 uses)?
- The message for the deceased would be: "A Reaper has dragged your soul away. Now you can speak openly to them!"

- Is the seance message like the Mediums ("A Reaper is talking to you?"), or will you write a special one?

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby VoidRuler » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:36 am

Jerme wrote:I looked now into your Reaper. The concept of a neutral Medium, with slight regulations, is a good idea.
Now to my usual statements/questions
- The Sheriff should NOT find the Reaper, since that role is not capable of finding N:Es
- Can the Reaper seance everyone and thus win with the town?
- Is the Reaper able to talk to every dead player, or do they have still their regulations?
- Can a Medium talk to a dead Reaper?
- What is your opinion towards limiting the time the Reaper could seance after their death (otherwise they could seance when the winning party is confirmed --> victory easily archieved)?
- Random Idea: Should a living Reaper decide at day if they want to have a private dead chat with a non towny at night, which noone else can hear (1-3 uses)?
- The message for the deceased would be: "A Reaper has dragged your soul away. Now you can speak openly to them!"

- Is the seance message like the Mediums ("A Reaper is talking to you?"), or will you write a special one?

will do the actual role card tweaking later today/tomorrow (4:30AM here), but for now here's my answers**
I will take into account changing the Sheriff results for Reaper.
The Reaper can only seance those that are non-Town. This includes Neutral Benigns, except after Amnesiac has chosen a role.
The Reaper is allowed to only talk to every dead non-Town role. They cannot see Town roles' messages nor the Medium's (if there is one). I did this in case a town died and was spilling a lot of information, it wouldn't be too overpowered. But it's still not underpowered, as if there's a dead "evil" role, then they can just spill the beans to the Reaper.
No, they cannot talk to a Medium, nor can the Medium talk to them.
I'm not sure if it's necessary, but you do bring up a flaw. Maybe it will be 1 or 2 nights after dying. I don't want to make it one night after dying, and make it too underpowered where you usually won't find that much info after dying, but I don't want it to be too extensive.
That sounds like a very good suggestion. I think it might work better with the theme of the role though to talk with a non-Town at night, and maybe make it only one use.
The seance message will be: "A Reaper has whisked you away to the underworld!". But I'm not sure if that's "too much".
VoidRuler
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby Jerme » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:59 am

So according to you the Reaper cannot talk to a Medium, even when the Reaper has already died?
My question regarding the ability to speak with dead townies was badly phrased. I meant, when the Reaper died, are the still limited to talk only to non townies?
The Reaper seance message is interesting, but this seems more like as if the Reaper has killed the person they wanted to seance with. Maybe: "A gate to the underworld opened, the exiting Reaper wishes to talk to you."
To the Seance targets: Does the seance fail if the Reaper selects a towny, or is the role unable to select townies for seancing? (The Reaper could note who they are not able to talk to and pass this to the non towny they are talking to.
To the goal: What happens if the Reaper seanced a lynched Jester, or a successful/succeeding Executioner?

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby VoidRuler » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:19 am

Jerme wrote:So according to you the Reaper cannot talk to a Medium, even when the Reaper has already died?
My question regarding the ability to speak with dead townies was badly phrased. I meant, when the Reaper died, are the still limited to talk only to non townies?
The Reaper seance message is interesting, but this seems more like as if the Reaper has killed the person they wanted to seance with. Maybe: "A gate to the underworld opened, the exiting Reaper wishes to talk to you."
To the Seance targets: Does the seance fail if the Reaper selects a towny, or is the role unable to select townies for seancing? (The Reaper could note who they are not able to talk to and pass this to the non towny they are talking to.
To the goal: What happens if the Reaper seanced a lynched Jester, or a successful/succeeding Executioner?

No, I meant the Reaper can't talk to the Medium while alive. They can talk to all dead people while dead.
No. It's okay, I misunderstood.
That's a good suggestion, that will be the message instead.
I'm somewhat undecided, I don't want to make the other evil roles obvious like if a maf wanted to know the SK in a game or something. But at the same time I want the seance to have some sort of effect, so I don't really know as of right now.
They can't seance a lynched Jester as they'd be dead if they were lynched. And if they seance a successful/succeeding Executioner, they just have to hope for the Exe to side with them. But, normally if you're in mid or late game while dead, you can probably have a good gauge on who's NK/Witch/Mafia, especially if a dead mafia member helps you out.
VoidRuler
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby Jerme » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:35 am

I meant seancing a Jester who will be lynched. I asked because those roles have won the game already, so would seacing them grant an automatic victory, or does the town have to fall before the Reaper could be victorious?
Additional question: If the Reaper seances an Amnesiac who decides to join the town, will the Reaper be victorious when town wins?

Edit: Your mistake is forgiven, being (still?) awake at this time might cloud ones perception~

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby VoidRuler » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:08 am

Jerme wrote:I meant seancing a Jester who will be lynched. I asked because those roles have won the game already, so would seacing them grant an automatic victory, or does the town have to fall before the Reaper could be victorious?
Additional question: If the Reaper seances an Amnesiac who decides to join the town, will the Reaper be victorious when town wins?

Edit: Your mistake is forgiven, being (still?) awake at this time might cloud ones perception~

Town has to be defeated for the Reaper to win, but the Reaper also has to seance the winning faction.
No, they won't. But considering they chose a NB role, that means whatever evil faction that wins (Jester/Any NK/Maf), the Reaper will win as well. I can already see that being seen as a flaw considering Survs usually claim D1, but if I made it any more specific, it wouldn't be that much of a useful "evil" role.
VoidRuler
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby oliy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:10 am

Reaper should essentially just be an evil medium that appears as medium to the dead chat, and has those results. Otherwise I like it.
Also, Blinder has some huge potential, but I don't like Idealist.

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:
Hi! I'm Eve the Eevee! Please give me a hug :3
You can also hurt/heal me here!

My Stuff
oliy
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby VoidRuler » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Update:
Finally got around to making some small edits to the Reaper's role card, added "Vampires" to win conditions of all the role cards, added a link/summary to my newest role idea; which is a fix or edit to the existing Mayor role, which can be viewed here or in the original post : viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31452 .

I'll also get around to making a variant role card of the Reaper (while keeping the original role card) in my spare time, which pertains to oliy's suggestion:
oliy wrote:Reaper should essentially just be an evil medium that appears as medium to the dead chat, and has those results.

I'm also thinking of finishing the freezing role and it's role card, and may name it "Snowman" or "Jack Frost" (as suggested by Jerme). As for new role ideas, I am thinking of creating a town role, maybe a Neutral Killing role, and possibly a Mafia Support role. I already have some loose ideas of what to do for them but I won't spoil them yet.

I'll either edit this or make a new update once I finish all of that.
VoidRuler
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby oliy » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:40 pm

The second brainstorm doesn't work well.
As a protective, it's way too underpowered, and as NB, it doesn't really help itself survive while being swingy.

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:
Hi! I'm Eve the Eevee! Please give me a hug :3
You can also hurt/heal me here!

My Stuff
oliy
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby GREENRIPPER » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:19 pm

survivor is useless
GREENRIPPER
Jester
Jester

Postby VoidRuler » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:41 pm

GREENRIPPER wrote:survivor is useless

Survivor is pretty much only in the game because it gives roles like Neutral Killings or Evils something to claim, or in Jester's case, something that could help them get lynched by claiming it.

And, what does that have to do with anything here? Are you trying to say NBs as a whole are pointless and that I shouldn't make a NB role?? Please be more specific.

oliy wrote:The second brainstorm doesn't work well.
As a protective, it's way too underpowered, and as NB, it doesn't really help itself survive while being swingy.

Thank you for the input. I wasn't completely sure if I should finish it or not or just scrap it.
VoidRuler
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby VoidRuler » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:37 pm

AssassinOfDoom wrote:I personally find these suggested role interesting. However, reverse roles has been shot down due to the lack of quality (Reverse Jesters and the reverse Executioners,That being your Engineer) aren't quite popular, so sorry about that.

The Blinder seems like an interesting role, but how will it respond if the blinded can tell the town that it is blinded? I saw the post about that if it can silence, then it would replace the Blackmailer, so I want to hear what you will say about it.

How would the evil dead provide information if the living can also hear them talking to the Reaper and can tell the Medium?

I am not sure about the Mayor change, but ok.

Will there be a use for the new ??? role? I don't find it useful, but please enlighten me.

I'll admit the reverse-Executioner isn't the best of the bunch, but it's definitely not the worst.

If you're talking about how it will signal to the Town that they're blinded, they can still talk. I didn't want to make it replace the Blackmailer, as you saw, but still restricting the blinded player from not being able to see messages that day is a very powerful ability. So, I figure by still letting them speak that's fine. They can simply say something along the lines of: "I'm blinded", but then again, so can anyone, especially if they're put up on the stand. Same with how anyone can signal a fake blackmail.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. The Medium and the dead non-evils cannot hear the Reaper. If you mean that dead non-evils and Mediums can still hear what the dead evils are saying, well, I tried hard to make it not overpowered or overly complex, so they just can tell the Medium. But I'm also working on a variation role card of the Reaper (both ideas for the role will both be in the original post for viewing, but I have to finish the 2nd role card) that appears as the Medium, and can hear/talk to everyone, which I believe might make it better for claiming Medium.

I scrapped the Mayor change completely as everyone agreed it was pretty much horrible.

I plan on scrapping that role as well or at least just stopping updates on it, even though I didn't even get to finish the role card yet, as it has gotten an overall bad response to it.

Thank you for reviewing these.
VoidRuler
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby VoidRuler » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:57 am

Added a new role to the Neutral Role Ideas.

Role Name's Alien and I also posted another topic for it: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32055
VoidRuler
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby VoidRuler » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:04 pm

Changelog:

- Added two lore/stories for Reaper and Blinder: (Credit for them go to Rossendale and their role idea story post is here: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/vi ... 4&start=75)
Reaper -
Spoiler: In Salem, they say that God guides the innocent, leaving the sinners lost and confused. But that is not true, for the evildoers of Salem also have a patron. He is the Reaper, a maleficent demon who is the "guardian angel" of all of the criminals, murderers and psychopaths in the town. He was born on a special night, when the moon was full and bad omens hung in the air. A lonely soul scurried across the graveyard, clutching secret tomes beneath the folds ofhis robe. The man were headed for the graveyard, his cold sweat sticking to his skin. It was obvious the person was incredibly frightened, but also full of a weird kind of conviction. The man's steps were sure-footed, and his brow was knotted in a determined frown. He was headed for a particular grave. It had simple engravings of a deceased woman. The man traced his hand slowly across the name on the gravestone, tears pooling at the edge of his eyes. Shaking his head rapidly, the man set out his books in front of him. He knew the ritual would be more perilous than ever, but he also knew that magic, especially of the dark kind, would be augmented today. He had to try. Reading off of the acient text, the man began reciting the ritual. The grass around him swirled, his robe fluttered, some of the gravestones even became cracked, but he still carried on. A dark circle appeared on the ground in front of him, and though he was scared the man persevered. Finally, something emerged from the dark ring. But it wasn't the man's beloved, no. It was a vile, cowled creature with a giant scythe and terrible, boned hands. It turned its' faceless hood to the man. "Are you truly that desparate to see her again?" It asked in a raspy, chilling voice. The man gulped, nodding his head. "Very well. You shall see her now." With one fell swing, the Reaper cut the man down where he stood. After that, the creature turned its' thoughts to Salem. He knew that there were many sinners there, people with malicious intentions. He would be their shephard. Under his guidance, they would bring doom to the town.

Blinder -
Spoiler: "Smile!" The man wasn't even given a chance to react as a bright light flashed straight in his face, accompanied by the sound of a photograph picture being developed. Ruefully rubbing his eyes, the man looked around to see who had done this to him. However, there was noone. Meanwhile, the man with the camera grinned widely to himself, looking at the picture of the surprised and shocked man. Another score for his Wall of Fame. This man, otherwise known as the Blinder, was a photographer who cared less for capturing the perfect shot and more for eliciting the perfect, priceless reactions from his poor victims. He started off as a simple, modest man, taking pictures of people as he strolled the city square of Salem. However, one day the man that he photographed complained about the flash from his camera being too bright. As he walked off, muttering curses at the Blinder, the young man stood the laughing to himself. Somehow, the found the reaction incredibly funny. He decided to try again, but with an ever brighter flash. He got the same reaction as before, but with even more shouting and cursing! How fun was that? The Blinder soon became the bane of Salem, taking pictures of people and torturing their eyes with the intolerably bright flashes from his camera. He soon became a master at this, appearing out of nowhere, taking the shot, and disappearing before the victim could do anything. Unluckily for the Blinder, one day he decided to try his tricks on someone that noone wants to mess with. The Godfather. The first part worked brilliantly, the Blinder having taken the flashy (hah) shot of the Godfather and disappearing before he could react. However, what was not planned was running into his two mafiosos on the way out. Finding himself cornered, the Blinder begged for mercy. Through the searing pain in his eyeballs, the Godfather still realized that a man like that could be useful. Having become a compulsory member of the mafia, the Blinder takes photos under the command of the Godfather now, and although he is given free reign in his work, he knows that in the end he'll live and die serving the Family.
VoidRuler
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby PolyesterHomes » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:09 pm

Why is the idealist Neutral Evil when it doesn't have to kill anyone and can have a town person their protecting?
"Whisper in the dark. The battle may yet be won."
PolyesterHomes
Veteran
Veteran

Postby VoidRuler » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:54 pm

PolyesterHomes wrote:Why is the idealist Neutral Evil when it doesn't have to kill anyone and can have a town person their protecting?

Because just like it can have a town protected, it can also have a mafia be protected.
I wasn't going to make it Benign, because it isn't really neutral most of the time. It's sided with the faction from the beginning, or at least until they protect that target for the time required.
VoidRuler
Mafioso
Mafioso

Next

Return to Role Idea Archives