Nightmarer (Mafia Support)

Old Role Ideas

How do you like this role?

I really, really like it and I would like to see it added into ToS
69%
It could use some work/I have some ideas (Please tell me why or what your ideas are)
12%
Maybe/ I don't know (explain why)
2%
I don't like it (Why?)
4%
I wouldn't see it in ToS.
13%

Total votes : 138

Nightmarer (Mafia Support)

Postby Arpitr20 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:22 pm

[b]THX TO YOU GUYS, THE NIGHTMARER IS IN THE TESTING GROUNDS![/b

EDITS IN BOLD
Role Name: Nightmarer

Role Alignment: Mafia Support
Attributes:
-You may make your target have a "nightmare" about someone, making them too scared to visit that person at night.
-If a person has a nightmare, they will be notified that they had a Nightmare and who it is about.
-If you make a player have a nightmare about another player, they will not be able to visit that player until the nightmarer makes you have a nightmare about someone else.
-All nightmares will go away if the nightmarer dies, but they remain if nightmarer is promoted (to mafioso).
-You may not make someone have a Nightmare about themselves, however it can happen via trans.

Abilities: Make someone have a "Nightmare" about someone, making them too scared to visit that person at night.
Goal: Kill anyone that will not submit to the mafia.
Wins with: Mafia, survivors, witches.

Special Attributes: Unique Role, witch immune

Investigative Results: Investigator - Your target practices magic. He must be an retributionist, witch, or a nightmarer.
Sheriff - Your target is a member of the mafia! Consigliere - your target messes with peoples dreams. They must be a nightmarer
Additional Information (comments): NONE

Technicalities:
Spoiler: -Nightmares do not carry over to the dead. For example, if an amnesiac is nightmared about a mafia member, and the mafia member dies, the amnesiac can remember the mafia member.
-The Nightmarer DOES visit the person who has Nightmares-LET ME KNOW IF YOU THINK THIS SHOULD BE REMOVED.
-Non visiting roles, like a spy, are unaffected by Nightmares but will be notified who it was about.
-This does not work on someone like a jailor, who visits them during the day.
-you can not make people with dead abilities, like medium or jester, have nightmares about someone. (all nightmares wear off after you die)
-The nightmarer will have two columns, the first one being who you are going to give the nightmare to and the second one being who the nightmare is about.
-You are allowed to make the nightmare about yourself.
-If a transporter has a nightmare, they will be unable to transport the person who they had a nightmare about.
-You may not make a person have a nightmare about themselves.
-If a witch controls you to the person you have nightmares about, you will visit them, as your fears don't control your decisions, the witch does.
-If you nightmare someone who tries to visit the target you are nightmaring them about that very night, they will be able to visit that person that night.
-If a witch controls the nightmarer, it will affect who receives the nightmares, not who the nightmares are about.

Spoiler: -If you are nightmared you will receive the message "You have had a nightmare about _____. You are too scared to visit them at night.
-If a transporter transports who you were planning to visit with the person you were nightmared about you will receive the message "You had just reached your target's house and looked inside, and that's when you realized that this wasn't your target at all. This was the person you had nightmares about, and you ran away as fast as you could" effectively roleblocking them for the night. *please note that this is the only way the nightmarer roleblocks someone.*
-If the nightmare is killed/promoted you will recieve the message "You realized that you aren't scared about ___ anymore".
-If the nightmare is killed the night they nightmared someone, the person will receive the message "You had a nightmare about ___, but you shook it off".
-When you select who you want to have nightmares, you'll receive the message "You have decided to make ____ have nightmares tonight."
-If you change it, you'll recieve the message "You have instead decided to make ____ have nightmares tonight."
-When you select who to have nightmares about, you'll receive "You have decided to make your target have nightmares about ____ tonight."
-When you change this, you'll recieve "You have instead decided to make your target have Nightmares about ____ tonight"
-If your Nightmares are changed to someone else, you will recieve You have had a new nightmare! You are now scared of _____ instead of _____ !

thanks to kirby and jerme for the message ideas.

Achievements (Credits to KirbyRider1337 for helping):
Spoiler: Successfully nightmare someone: Are you afraid of the dark?
1 win: Insomnia
5 wins: Go to sleep (This references Jeff the Killer)
10 wins: Nighttime Horrors
25 wins: Scared Awake
Give nightmares to yourself (via Trans or Witch): Truly Timid
Give nightmares to another member of the Mafia (via Trans or Witch): Syngenesophobia
Give nightmares to three people on the same person: Misunderstanding
Monophobia- give someone Nightmares about themselves (via trans)-10 coins

Backstory (Credit to Rossendale):
Spoiler: 'The most powerful part of a person's mind is their subconsciousness. It is the part of a human's thoughts and feelings that works from behind the curtains, but at the same time can completely shape their attitudes, behaviour and opinion. It is said that dreams are manifestations of the subconsciousness, hidden dreams and fears from deep within your heart. The Nightmarer is a psychic manipulator of the subconsciousness, able to bring forth harrowing visions to haunt his victims in their sleep. He had first learned of this power when he was a small child. His parents were religious, and they had often visited the church to pray and congregate with other believers. However, the priest that held the sermons was corrupt and perverted, and he had abused the Nightmarer to satisfy his sick lust. The boy was too afraid to tell anyone and suffered in silence. However, one day the priest did not take him away for private councelling. In fact, he seemed to avoid him. When the boy sneaked away from his parents to follow the priest, he heard him talk to himself about a nightmare that he had the night before. In the dream, his acts have been uncovered and he had been lynched for his crimes. The Nightmarer gulped heavily, not quite believing that it was him. However, when his family was coming back from the shop they chanced upon the baker hitting his wife again. The Nightmarer gritted his teeth, and decided to test out his power again. He went to sleep that night wishing visions of the baker's wife deserting him, and taking the children. The next day, that same baker had been found hanging from a piece of rope in the city square. He committed suicide, and in his hands was a document about how he was sorry he had mistreated his wife, outlining the nightmares he had about deserting her. The Nightmarer gulped heavily, unbelieving. His parents asked him what's wrong. He tried to avoid an answer, but in the end ended up telling everyone about his powers. They waved him off as a silly child with an imagination too big. However, he insisted in trying to convince them, but they all shunned him. In the end, even his parents decided to cast him out for his tall tales. Bitter and angry, the Nightmarer turned to the Mafia for shelter. The Godfather swayed him over with tales of how noone believed the Nightmarer but him. The Nightmarer accepted the Godfather's proposal, determined to prove to everyone that he was the master of the subconscious mind."
Last edited by Arpitr20 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 52 times in total.
This is where roles are tested:
ToS QR: Spoiler: Image FM wins: Spoiler: NFM 2 Mafioso WIN
NFM 4-Veteran WIN
FM 8C-Aragog (Arsonist) LOSE
My roles
Nightmarer(Maf Supp.)& Switcher(Maf. Supp.)- MY FAVS
Arpitr20
Vigilante
Vigilante

Location: Hanging out with Oliy and Kirize, playing ToS and talking about roles.

Re: Nightmarer (Mafia Support)

Postby Arpitr20 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:22 pm

also, anyone hve a better name other than nightmarer. Nightmarer sounds odd...
NFM 4-Veteran WIN
My roles
Arpitr20
Vigilante
Vigilante

Location: Hanging out with Oliy and Kirize, playing ToS and talking about roles.

Postby Arpitr20 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:23 pm

Anyone have a backstory to add?
NFM 4-Veteran WIN
My roles
Arpitr20
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby murat1996 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:47 pm

Arpitr20 wrote:Anyone have a backstory to add?

No, but that is one LONG attribute though. XD
33-40-3 : My FM Record

Hosted: VFM13

My discord is fluffymurat#2318 if you really want it I guess...it's now a legacy name.

My discord is just fluffymurat
murat1996
[Forum Mafia X] Winner
[Forum Mafia X] Winner

Postby Arpitr20 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:52 pm

ik
NFM 4-Veteran WIN
My roles
Arpitr20
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby murat1996 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:54 pm

Arpitr20 wrote:ik

I don't wanna read that, and separate notifications and attributes, and make it like TOS.
33-40-3 : My FM Record

Hosted: VFM13

My discord is fluffymurat#2318 if you really want it I guess...it's now a legacy name.

My discord is just fluffymurat
murat1996
[Forum Mafia X] Winner
[Forum Mafia X] Winner

Postby mikucake » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:13 pm

A good name instead of "Nightmarer" could be "Hypnophobiac". "Hypnophobia, also termed clinophobia or somniphobia, is the often irrational and excessive fear of sleep. It may result from a feeling of control loss, or from repeating nightmares or anxiety over the loss of time that could be spent accomplishing tasks or maximizing leisure time instead of sleeping." - From Wikipedia.
mikucake
Doctor
Doctor

Postby Arpitr20 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:20 pm

thx i will consider that.
NFM 4-Veteran WIN
My roles
Arpitr20
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Arpitr20 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:21 pm

And please participate in the poll. I made the attributes smaller
NFM 4-Veteran WIN
My roles
Arpitr20
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby KirbyRider1337 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:59 pm

I have achievement ideas

1 win: Insomnia
5 wins: Go to sleep (This references Jeff the Killer)
10 wins: Nighttime Horrors
25 wins: Scared Awake
Give nightmares to yourself (via Trans or Witch): Truly Timid
Give nightmares to another member of the Mafia (via Trans or Witch): Summoning Bill (Referencing Gravity Falls)
Give nightmares to three people on the same person: Misunderstanding

What are your thoughts? I think the other Mafia member nightmaring could be an improved or completely replaced name.
I like these roles:
Town: BodyGuard, Investigator, Jailor, Mayor, Spy
Mafia: Consigliere, Janitor, Mafioso
Neutral: Arsonist, Jester, Serial Killer
KirbyRider1337
Civilian
Civilian

Postby JazzMusicStops » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:31 am

I like this idea
As for names, maybe, "Hypnotist"

Spoiler: I'm probably just going to lurk forever, posting occasionally
But if there ever comes a point where my account speaks its last
Know that it was a pleasure to be here, especially in Forum Games
During my teenage years, this place was my first real community
Thank you all so much for playing silly games with me
I'll never forget you
JazzMusicStops
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby houyin » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:14 am

Loved, simply awesome role, making it possible to have a Bodyguard afraid of visiting a confirmed Mayor, THIS IS JUST AMAZING.

10/10
houyin
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby Arpitr20 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:40 am

Thank you guys a lot. People who voted "could use some work" "I dont like it" or "I hate it" Please, PLEASE explain why, it will help me make this role better.
NFM 4-Veteran WIN
My roles
Arpitr20
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby yonks012 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:26 am

i like this, but can it target other members of the mafia? (e.g. prevent a TI from visiting them)
also some suggestions-
    -remove the ability to give people nightmares about themselves
    -only notify the target that they had a nightmare when they try to visit whoever they had a nightmare about (otherwise this is just a nerfed consort in most situations)
    -remove nightmares when "nightmarer" dies or is promoted to mafioso
RELEASE THE
QUACKEN

IGNs: Dis Pater/Vengeance/Sol
Favorite Roles: Spy, Investigator, Executioner
yonks012
Investigator
Investigator

Postby Arpitr20 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:45 am

yonks012 wrote:i like this, but can it target other members of the mafia? (e.g. prevent a TI from visiting them)
also some suggestions-
    -only notify the target that they had a nightmare when they try to visit whoever they had a nightmare about (otherwise this is just a nerfed consort in most situations)

for your question, yes it can, but because the person knows who they had nightmares about, it will raise suspicions against that person. For your first suggestion, i thought about this earlier, i will think about it. For your second, it nerfs it more if they know, they lose the ability to visit that single person, doesnt rb them. The person can visit everyone but the person who they had nightmares about. For your third suggestion, I asked you to notify if this should happen, and thank you for that, but i want to wait for a couple more people to say they should go away before i change it. Thank you for suggesting. Please participate in the poll!
NFM 4-Veteran WIN
My roles
Arpitr20
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Arpitr20 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:05 pm

Again, please tell me why if you voted I don't like it, I hate it, or it could use some work
NFM 4-Veteran WIN
My roles
Arpitr20
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby KirbyRider1337 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:37 pm

lucas8411 wrote:The role seems intresting, I really thought it was a Consort clone, but I see it's different. Anyway I have some questions:
1: Is the Nightmarer immune against his/her own nightmare?
2: If you give the Werewolf a nightmare and the werewolf visit itself so you die by the Werewolf. Does the Werewolf get a nightmare or not?
3: Will the Nightmare happen after you did you ability or before? (so can the Investigator, investigate after they get a nightmare or before?)

I think a Witch or a Trans can make the Nightmarer give himself nightmares. You can't nightmare who your secondary target was after this. You can make a BMer blackmail themself or a Consig invest themself, so...
If the WW stays home, and you try to give them a nightmare, whether the WW gets nightmared or not depends on whether nightmares wear off after the Nightmarer's death.
I believe the Nightmare will come into effect after the Nightmarer's visit. An Invest will be able to invest someone, but if the Nightmarer makes them have nightmares of that person the same night, they can't invest them again.
I like these roles:
KirbyRider1337
Civilian
Civilian

Postby houyin » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:52 pm

Arpitr20 wrote:
yonks012 wrote:i like this, but can it target other members of the mafia? (e.g. prevent a TI from visiting them)
also some suggestions-

for your question, yes it can, but because the person knows who they had nightmares about, it will raise suspicions against that person. For your first suggestion, i thought about this earlier, i will think about it. For your second, it nerfs it more if they know, they lose the ability to visit that single person, doesnt rb them. The person can visit everyone but the person who they had nightmares about. For your third suggestion, I asked you to notify if this should happen, and thank you for that, but i want to wait for a couple more people to say they should go away before i change it. Thank you for suggesting. Please participate in the poll!

I also think the nightmares should end if the Nightmarer dies or if he becomes a Mafioso
houyin
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby Arpitr20 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:25 pm

Changed it

Jammy? Whats BtM
NFM 4-Veteran WIN
My roles
Arpitr20
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby JazzMusicStops » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:32 pm

Arpitr20 wrote:Jammy? Whats BtM

This belongs more in pms than this topic, but
Behind The Masks(or BtM for short) is a series of Forum Games, created by VucubCaquix and (mostly) hosted by Blackajack, it's really fun, you should try it

Spoiler: I'm probably just going to lurk forever, posting occasionally
But if there ever comes a point where my account speaks its last
Know that it was a pleasure to be here, especially in Forum Games
During my teenage years, this place was my first real community
Thank you all so much for playing silly games with me
I'll never forget you
JazzMusicStops
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Arpitr20 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:07 pm

Please guys I want to know why you hate this role so I can fix it
NFM 4-Veteran WIN
My roles
Arpitr20
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby KirbyRider1337 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:35 pm

Also this:

When you select who you want to have nightmares, you'll receive the message "You have decided to torment ____ tonight."
When you select who to have nightmares about, you'll receive "You have decided to torment your target about ____ tonight."

What are your thoughts on this? And if you want a story, I found this, maybe you can ask for a story on the Nightmarer here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29644&start=75
I like these roles:
KirbyRider1337
Civilian
Civilian

Postby Arpitr20 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:35 pm

KirbyRider1337 wrote:Also this:

When you select who you want to have nightmares, you'll receive the message "You have decided to torment ____ tonight."
When you select who to have nightmares about, you'll receive "You have decided to torment your target about ____ tonight."

What are your thoughts on this? And if you want a story, I found this, maybe you can ask for a story on the Nightmarer here: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/vi ... 4&start=75

yes that sounds good, but ill change it to something about nightmares
NFM 4-Veteran WIN
My roles
Arpitr20
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby oliy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:35 pm

This role is creative, but is game-changing. If there's a killing role, and you make them have a nightmare about another Mafia member, in the endgame, you probably just led yourself to win. Also, you could be able to kill the Mayor more easily. Finally, rolebock prevention.However, it's very underwhelming to investigatives. Finally, it takes a high skill amount that I like it.
Questions - Why is it unique? It isn't the most powerful role and the mechanics aren't interfering. Also, will you visit just the first target, or both?

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:
Hi! I'm Eve the Eevee! Please give me a hug :3
You can also hurt/heal me here!

My Stuff
oliy
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby Arpitr20 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:50 pm

oliy wrote:This role is creative, but is game-changing. If there's a killing role, and you make them have a nightmare about another Mafia member, in the endgame, you probably just led yourself to win. Also, you could be able to kill the Mayor more easily. Finally, rolebock prevention.However, it's very underwhelming to investigatives. Finally, it takes a high skill amount that I like it.
Questions - Why is it unique? It isn't the most powerful role and the mechanics aren't interfering. Also, will you visit just the first target, or both?

simply because it covers too much ground, oliy, what work could it use? I see you voted could use some work.
NFM 4-Veteran WIN
My roles
Arpitr20
Vigilante
Vigilante

Next

Return to Role Idea Archives