Gender Button

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Gender Button

Postby tfiosforevah » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:54 am

Ok, as of one of the female minority players on the Town of Salem game, I think there should be a gender button. Now I know that the costume you have automatically decides which gender you are, but for me, I have the yeti costume, which makes it have male pronouns. I think there should be a way to set it so it generates female names and female pronouns. This has been bugging me for a while...
Just a college-aged girl who likes playing mafia :D

FM History: 8-7
Spoiler: FM6E- stalker- loss
TFM8- checker- loss
GFM- investigator- win
Episode XII- double citizen- win
SFM28- Jugin/Vet. Lancer (citizen)- loss
VFM42- citizen- loss
SFM53- despacito 2.5 (tracker)- win
VFM43- citizen- win
SFM55- vanilla townie (citizen)- win
FM17C- caporegime- loss
VFM44- citizen- loss
FM17D- pirate- win
VFM46- irn-bru (goon)- win
SFM56- goon- win
FM17E- citizen- loss
tfiosforevah
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner

Re: Gender Button

Postby Drafo » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:02 pm

Good idea, but I think it should also show the other townies which gender you chose. I'm a dude but for some reason I get people calling me "she" and "her" even when I have a male skin and gender-neutral name. :/
Drafo
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:50 pm

Yeti is a male character, therefor, it's a male gender setting. Kinda wouldn't be right to force a Yeti male to be a female.
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NightmareMoon » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:34 pm

Naru2008 wrote:Yeti is a male character, therefor, it's a male gender setting. Kinda wouldn't be right to force a Yeti male to be a female.

is it (the model itself) though? how can we tell the difference between male and female yetis?
in-game: megitsune, bird attorney, pigeon, nighttime moom, greem beam, ...

it/its pronouns, please
NightmareMoon
Donor
Donor

Postby Gobln » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:40 pm

NightmareMoon wrote:
Naru2008 wrote:Yeti is a male character, therefor, it's a male gender setting. Kinda wouldn't be right to force a Yeti male to be a female.

is it (the model itself) though? how can we tell the difference between male and female yetis?

I dont think thats really necessary to go into. :roll:
Gobln
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:42 pm

NightmareMoon wrote:

Pretty sure it's been stated by the devs that the Yeti is a male...don't hold me to that though.

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby NightmareMoon » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:25 am

Gobln wrote:
NightmareMoon wrote:

I dont think thats really necessary to go into. :roll:

oh i don't mean that. but some animals (e.g. chickens, peacocks, birds in general) have very different looking males and females while some animals (e.g. bears, dogs, cats) don't. i'd expect yetis to fall into the second category.
in-game: megitsune, bird attorney, pigeon, nighttime moom, greem beam, ...

it/its pronouns, please
NightmareMoon
Donor
Donor

Postby dota2reporter » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:36 am

In game i had Jonathan Corwin or something like that with female skin xD
26-18 ToSFM
34-26 MU
0-3 MS

60-47
dota2reporter
[Forum Mafia XIX] Winner
[Forum Mafia XIX] Winner

Location: Somewhere in Kazakhstan, switching between UTC +5 and +6

Postby Mroz4k » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:01 am

dota2reporter wrote:In game i had Jonathan Corwin or something like that with female skin xD

Thats a bug with certain characters being set as ´´male´´ when they are in fact females. I think its actually an issue with most Custom characters. Only YouTubers and the most oldest skins are set right, I believe.

Some Skins are supposed to be unisex - you can generate default names both male and female.

To answer the question about what gender is Yetti supposed to be:

Its called Warrior Yetti. Warrior indicates Male unless stated othervise (female warrior).
Spoiler:

As for the actual suggestion of having a female/male button choice - I am technically pro, but it would mean all has to be re-drawn as a female as well. So its not really possible anymore. It would be just simply too expensive.
Away in the real world most of the time, but I return from time to time, at my own whim.

FM history:
Spoiler: NFM4 - Lookout - W
NFM7 - Consort - L (so close tho)
FM8D - Cit+ to Sheriff - W
FM9C - Cit - L (epicly failed)
CFM hydra 2 - Medium with Varanus - W
SFM17 - Caporegime - W
FM9D - Serial Killer - W (epicly :D)
SFM14 - Bodyguard-ish role - modkilled, caused MyLo FTW - W?
Mroz4k
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby Sadchuu » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:08 pm

I was also thinking about having more genders, gender isn't just male or female.

And for the forum too, I want to be able to not identify as male/female...smh
☆ Mayumi ☆ 20 ☆ ♀ ☆ I'm awful at TOS ☆ Loves Vivi and MSA ☆
Sadchuu
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Gobln » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:10 pm

Sadchuu wrote:I was also thinking about having more genders, gender isn't just male or female.

Im pretty sure you can have no specified. I think its for game-purposes too. the Male/female button thing.
Gobln
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby Sadchuu » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:11 pm

Gobln wrote:
Sadchuu wrote:I was also thinking about having more genders, gender isn't just male or female.

Im pretty sure you can have no specified. I think its for game-purposes too. the Male/female button thing.

It only lets me have a choice to choose either male or female, and I don't like that.

UPDATE: Spoiler: Image It only lets me pick Male/Female!
Last edited by Sadchuu on Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sadchuu
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Gobln » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:15 pm

Sadchuu wrote:
Gobln wrote:

It only lets me have a choice to choose either male or female, and I don't like that.

Sorry it doesnt pander to you but i think its that way so it auto-picks which default skin you'll get
basically if you choose male you get the default male skin and female you get the default female skin.
Gobln
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby Sadchuu » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:16 pm

Gobln wrote:Sorry it doesnt pander to you but i think its that way so it auto-picks which default skin you'll get
basically if you choose male you get the default male skin and female you get the default female skin.

I was talking about the forum....
Sadchuu
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Gobln » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:16 pm

Sadchuu wrote:
Gobln wrote:Sorry it doesnt pander to you but i think its that way so it auto-picks which default skin you'll get

Forum and Game are linked. when you signed up for the game it sent you to the forum.
Gobln
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby Sadchuu » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:19 pm

Gobln wrote:
Sadchuu wrote:

Forum and Game are linked. when you signed up for the game it sent you to the forum.

Are you saying that I'm forced to be a binary gender?? Because I don't identify as a binary gender lol
Sadchuu
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Gobln » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:23 pm

Sadchuu wrote:Are you saying that I'm forced to be a binary gender?? Because I don't identify as a binary gender lol

I wouldnt call it forced. I dont even know if on phpbb can allow more genders ; regardless.
In a way, yes, you have to become Male or Female when signing up right now because when you start playing the actual game it will auto-assign you the default male or default female option.
Gobln
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby Nellyfox » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:27 pm

Gobln, stop right there.
First off: forums and in-game may be linked, yes, but only for passwords and usernames.
The gender you choose for the forums is not the one you get in-game. The one in-game is dependent on your skin.
Also, I'm pretty sure that it's possible to add more gender options seeing as TurdPile added the gender field per my request.
Nellyfox
[Forum Mafia V] Winner
[Forum Mafia V] Winner

Postby Sadchuu » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:28 pm

Gobln wrote:
Sadchuu wrote:Are you saying that I'm forced to be a binary gender?? Because I don't identify as a binary gender lol

I wouldnt call it forced. I dont even know if on phpbb can allow more genders ; regardless.
In a way, yes, you have to become Male or Female when signing up right now because when you start playing the actual game it will auto-assign you the default male or default female option.

Well that sucks.
Sadchuu
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Gobln » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:32 pm

Nellyfox wrote:Gobln, stop right there.
First off: forums and in-game may be linked, yes, but only for passwords and usernames.
The gender you choose for the forums is not the one you get in-game. The one in-game is dependent on your skin.
Also, I'm pretty sure that it's possible to add more gender options seeing as TurdPile added the gender field per my request.

So you are saying when you sign up the game the gender you choose does not affect the skin you get in the game when you first play? For instance when signing up and you choose the male gender you get the John Hathorne skin on default.
So if someone goes with the female gender when signing up it still has them using the John hathoren skin? I know that the skin you use affects the gender you are referred to in-game, i was not saying otherwise.
Last edited by Gobln on Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gobln
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:33 pm

Gobln wrote:

So you are saying when you sign up the game the gender you choose does not affect the skin you get in the game when you first play? For instance when signing up and you choose the male gender you get the John Hathorne skin on default.
So if someone goes with the female gender when signing up it still has them using the John hathoren skin?

Correct.

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gobln » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:34 pm

Naru2008 wrote:
Gobln wrote:

So if someone goes with the female gender when signing up it still has them using the John hathoren skin?

Correct.

Thanks for clarifying. You too nelly.
Gobln
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby Nellyfox » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:35 pm

Gobln wrote:

So if someone goes with the female gender when signing up it still has them using the John hathoren skin? I know that the skin you use affects the gender you are referred to in-game, i was not saying otherwise.

Female on the forums, I have the default John Hathorne skin in-game and it uses he/him. When signing up, male is the default gender for the forums.
Nellyfox
[Forum Mafia V] Winner
[Forum Mafia V] Winner

Postby tfiosforevah » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:39 pm

Ok guys, I'm not saying that the yet I should be classified as a female. What I meant by this was for people to know what gender people are to use the correct pronouns (and for the game to generate the correct ones)
Just a college-aged girl who likes playing mafia :D

FM History: 8-7
Spoiler: FM6E- stalker- loss
TFM8- checker- loss
GFM- investigator- win
Episode XII- double citizen- win
SFM28- Jugin/Vet. Lancer (citizen)- loss
VFM42- citizen- loss
SFM53- despacito 2.5 (tracker)- win
VFM43- citizen- win
SFM55- vanilla townie (citizen)- win
FM17C- caporegime- loss
VFM44- citizen- loss
FM17D- pirate- win
VFM46- irn-bru (goon)- win
SFM56- goon- win
FM17E- citizen- loss
tfiosforevah
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner

Postby Sadchuu » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:45 pm

tfiosforevah wrote:Ok guys, I'm not saying that the yet I should be classified as a female. What I meant by this was for people to know what gender people are to use the correct pronouns (and for the game to generate the correct ones)

Yeah this too.
Sadchuu
Executioner
Executioner

Next

Return to Suggestions