Guide to Hosting

Looking for some forum fun? This is the place

Guide to Hosting

Postby InsaneSmile » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:36 am

So you want to create forum game? Well that is great! The Town of Salem Forums has a great forum game community and it is because of creative hosts and passionate players. But there are plenty of pitfalls for a new host. It can be orginally overwelming or the game could loses its mojo and die off. I'll go over some basic to help you through your game.

1) First of all you have to know what the game will entail. Will it be a last man standing in a jungle or a working together in a wasteland settlement?
2) After you know the goal you need to know what will be the setting and theme. This will go with the goal as it is unlikely you'll have a horror theme in a game about dog gromming.
3) Now you need to decide on the mechanics of the game. If it is a game where every one is working together, likely the entirety can be done in just the main thread. But if player will be at odds with others you may need to use PMs. It is up to you to decide which will be best for your game.
4) Make a flow chart, either in your mind or physically, about how your game will play out. Think about how one step to transitions into the next.
5) Flush out what will be in your game. Just decide what will be the events, actions, and story in the game. It is again recommend to write this down.
6) Finally, one last review. Think about how your game can derail and how you can correct it. Make sure everything will go smoothly. And once you've done that, you are ready to up sign ups!

-Forum games will almost always have a "honeymoon period". At the start of the game it will take off quite fast, but as it progresses people will lose interest. It is very important to keep people's interest. You can change things up and make it exciting. Another way is set a time limit for people. Such as if they do not post for X amount of hours they will be replaced. In my experience, you will never have a lack of willing volunteers for that new spot.
-You will at times be swamped. Running a forum game takes a lot of time to run. I wouldn't suggest starting one if you aren't willing to put the time in.
-You have to start small. Starting as a co-host or hosting a small game to get your feet wet. Once you've done one you'll be more confidence and know what works and was doesn't. Do not bite off more than you can chew.

-Don't make too many games at once. (YoukCat)
-Wonder, is this going to be too complex for me to run? (YoukCat)
-Listen to users on ideas, unless you hate those ideas. (YoukCat)
-If it's complex, that's more things you have to do for ONE players turn, and then there's the rest of the players. (Youkcat)
-Punish those who break in-game laws. (YoukCat)
-Be ready to improvise. Players may act differently than you would have thought so you have to be ready to create new content. (InsaneSmile)
-Make sure you look for ways the players could break the game and try to fix them before starting the game. (VucubCaquix)
-Don't expect your game to fill quickly (JazzMusicStops)
-The best number of players is between 10 and 20 (JazzMusicStops)
-For a game involving PMs, Folders are your best friends (JazzMusicStops)
-Folders seriously are amazing (InsaneSmile)
-When it comes to moderating player behavior and posts, a Host must have an iron fist that is lined with velvet; you need to be firm and serious when it comes to enforcing rules, but you need to give some breathing room and understanding (Schultz128)
-ALWAYS before clicking out of your game's thread update the OP and the database (mihail66)
-To attract more players, add some mystery to the game, like and unexplained role or mechanic, or if the game is story based try to put some mysterious person/object. (mihail66)
- [Update 2023] This section is pretty much dead, don't expect to fill a game that asks for more than five or six players.

Here will be a list of people who have been around the track a few times and want to help to newer hosts. Send a consultant a PM about your game and if you like to be added as a consultant, PM me with some examples of games you've hosted.
(H)= Host and (CO)= Co-Host
-InsaneSmile: The Mansion (H), The Mansion 2 (CO), Full Circle (H), The Ship (H), The Zeppelin (H), The Zeppelin 2 (H), Full Circle 2- Both Predator and Prey (H), The Vanity of Snow (H), The Zeppelin 3 (H), Oxygen is a Luxury (H), Full Circle 3 (H), The Mansion 3 (H).
-Ibney000: Poker Night (H), The Text Adventure (H), War Story 2 (H), The Mansion 2 (H), Gladiatorial Arena (H), Phoenix Wright Roleplay (H), The Murderer: A House of Horror (H), Danganronpa X (H)
-JazzMusicStops: Behind The Masks 7.1 (H), The Tower (H), The Election (H), A Royal Visit (H), Behind The Masks 8.1 (H) The Tower 2 (H), Guess Who (H)

Here is where hosts can come and find people who want to co-host, and vice versa. If you want to be added to this list PM me with a brief description of the game you want to host or a description of the type of game you wish to co-host.
Green= Wants to be a co-host and Orange= Needs a co-host
-Ibney000: He is willing to co-host/mod any game. He is quite expirenced in many different types of games.
-NDM: A very active user and who's willing to help on big games.
-Residays: Needs a co-host for Epidemic.
-DJVoxel: Is currently looking to be a co-host for a smaller game.
-WindBlqde: Willing to co-host for anything SFW.
-Tardispaten: Has an interest in a dungeon and dragon games.
-Khakha1036: Willing to be a co-host for experience.
-Destawaits: Co-host and support any smaller games or strategy games.
-GoogleFeud: Needs a co-host for Survivor
-MoustachioMario: Willing to co-host anything.
- [Update 2023] Most of these users have left the forums for good, their names have been struck through but remain on this list for archival purposes.

This is for games that, for one reason or another, the host could no longer continue. This is so others that have an interest in it might be able to resurrect the game. PM the creator and post in here if you have an interest in it so I know to take it off the list as well others know an old game is coming back.
-Project Desolate: A post apocalyptic survival game, filled with fighting and a struggle to survive. Creator: THCraftMaster UPDATE: Has been taken over by Derp! Well done Derp!
-Elemental Games: A fun forum games somewhat like the Hunger Games with magic. Creator: WindBlqde
-Hidden: You among millions have been the sixteen chosen to compete. 64 rooms. 16 players. A huge competition. Creator: WindBlqde
-9 DAYS: A game that combines elements of puzzle/escape games with social experementation to create an experience that leaves the tip of players tongues tingling. Creator: NeptuneJump

Free Ideas
Here will be a place where people can put ideas for forum games they do not wish to host on their own, and allow the community to take them as their own. You may use any of the ideas below, but just as a courtesy, give credit to the original user who created the idea.

DJVoxel wrote:Rules:
- Game creators submit game ideas to the host, once there are enough players the game begins.
- A random player is chosen as the judge and the host puts a random submitted game concept into the thread.
- Everyone who isn't the judge PMs the host with whether or not they would join this game, and why.
- Once all PMs have been submitted, the host puts the players' choices and reasoning into the thread, keeping the author of each anonymous.
- The judge then selects the reasoning which they think is the best and the player that created that reasoning gets a point.
- The next player on the list then becomes the judge and a new round begins.
- Play continues until a player reaches x number of points.

Damafaud wrote:Free Idea

Useless Heirs and Cursed Servants

The king decides to pick a heir from his twin and send the other out as a commoner. The Prince and Princess didn't want to be a commoner. They want to live lavishly while their kingdom is controlled by corrupt lords as a ruler.
The royal children have both a cursed servant that will do their every bidding. The curse will break if the master is no longer a noble.

The game is separated into four phase: Morning, Afternoon, Evening, and Night.
Spoiler: Morning Phase (06.00-12.00)
Breakfast will be served.
The king will send a letter filled with a task to complete.

Afternoon Phase (12.00-18.00)
Lunch willl be served.
Audience may be granted by king to lords or commoners.

Evening Phase (18.00-21.00)
Dinner will be served.
The King will relax in his room and observe the progress of tasks.

Night Phase (21.00-06.00)
Servants will go to bed. More guards will roam the castle

Role Cards: Spoiler:
You are a
Lazy Good-for-nothing Prince
You lay in your bed all day, being good for nothing.

You can't leave your room.
You are highly unfit and uneducated.
You can't speak more than seven words at a time.

During the Morning Phase, you may try to improve yourself and win the king's heart.
During the Evening Phase, you may order five servants around.
At any time, you may order the Cursed Butler to do your bidding.

Your goal is to ensure the throne for yourself.

You are a
Lazy Good-for-nothing Princess
You lay in your bed all day, being good for nothing.

You can't leave your room.
You are highly unfit and uneducated.
You can't speak more than seven words at a time.
During the Morning Phase, you may try to improve yourself and win the king's heart.
During the Evening Phase, you may order five servants around.
At any time, you may order the Cursed Maid to do your bidding if they are within earshot.

Your goal is to ensure the throne for yourself.

You are a
Cursed Butler
You serve the kingdom all the time and hate it.

You must visit the Prince Room every Noon to bring him lunch.
You must follow all of the Prince commands as a part of your curse.
You will be notified of any change of the Prince

Your goal is to free yourself of the curse and to be free from servitude.

You are a
Cursed Maid
You serve the kingdom all the time and hate it.

You must visit the Princess Room every Noon to bring him lunch.
You must follow all of the Princess commands as a part of your curse.
Yoy will be notified of any change of the princess

Your goal is to free yourself of the curse and to be free from servitude.

------

Four players game. Each player has their own goal to fulfill. There can only be one heir to the throne. The royals may improve themselves with actions such as /Learn to read to learn a new skill, though how successful it goes vary. Learning things can change the rolecard description, and will notify the servant (But not what the change is)

The servants main goal is to escape survitude. They must follow every order given, but they have the freedom to enterpret it. To escape the curse, their master must lose their title or life. Similarly, the servant's mischiefs the castle will draw the king disapproval to the master.

So, yeah. Feel free to host this if you want. Just an idea.

Thank you to Arckas for the new big words.

Note: I would like to thank the mod Arckas for unlocking this thread. I want everyone to make sure they remain civil in all discussions here, so this does not turn into the Forum Game Hub.
Last edited by JazzMusicStops on Sun May 21, 2023 12:56 pm, edited 56 times in total.
Reason: 2023 Update
Special thanks to Burgy and Parker for their amazing artwork!
Check out my Guide to Hosting
DizzyWaddleDoo wrote:Starting to think your smile isn't the only thing that's insane.
My custom role...
Anarchist

Rest in Peace Spirit.
InsaneSmile
Retributionist
Retributionist

Re: Guide to Hosting

Postby ibney000 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:40 am

Videos you should watch:

Creating your First Game (Extra Credits) - How to start off with your idea.

Minimum Value Product (Extra Credits) - This video is about the "Minimum value product." It is where I start all my projects. Its also a good idea for beginners to use.

Making your First Game (Extra Credits) - This one goes into how to actually MAKE the game.

Many of the things that I tell inspiring game makers, at least on this forum, is the things I was taught in Extra Credit videos. That are a great resource and I will definitely recommend more as I find them. These 3 above however, are the ones a highly recommend EVERYONE watches. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me about anything.

Ok. Now that is done, I can go into some tips that I have for hosting and host with a co-host.

Tips and Tricks:

-Write EVERYTHING down:

You would not be able to fathom the amount of times I had to go searching through my entire inbox just to find one pm that explained one minor detail. It was really horrible. But I did it for you guys. And that is what counts. I suggest you copy all PM's on to a document and post the time they were posted in. Yes. It is a lot of work. but you have to commit if you want your game to be good. (OK you don't have to be THAT committed, but it still helps when you are hosting if you have everything down.)

-Have a sense of humor:

While you need to be serious at times, notice when people are simply fooling around. Not every action they say they will take is serious and you need to know when you should accept it, and when to just let it slide or ask them about it. Also, know when to just not accept actions. If actions do the same thing choose which one does the job best.

-When you make a mistake, fix it:

You are going to make mistakes that's just human nature. When you do make them be sure to let others know you are fixing it. Don't just sit there and shrug it off.

-Prod People:

If someone isn't being responsive in your game, then send them a pm to ask them to be more active. If that doesn't work, then warn them again. If they still do not come back, then replace them for being inactive. If someone is taking up a spot someone else could have, let the person who is actually going to play your game have it.

As a final note, I will remind you that making a game requires a semblance of game design and game theory. If you do not know what these terms are, learn them. Once again watch extra credits. Their work with the teaching of game design has done wonders for me in the past. They are my game design bible and I suggest you use them as such. Other than that, I hope you enjoy game making and I hope others enjoy your games.

(Also don't forget your games)
Last edited by ibney000 on Mon May 09, 2016 11:25 am, edited 6 times in total.
ibney000
Forger
Forger

Postby JHCraftMaster » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:06 pm

I'd be willing to co host as well
ImageImage
Spoiler: Image
JHCraftMaster
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby InsaneSmile » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:55 pm

JHCraftMaster wrote:I'd be willing to co host as well

Awesome! So you want to co host someone elses game? Just wanted to make sure I got it right. And is there any genre of forum game you would like to follow or open to anything?
DizzyWaddleDoo wrote:Starting to think your smile isn't the only thing that's insane.
My custom role...
Anarchist

Rest in Peace Spirit.
InsaneSmile
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby InsaneSmile » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:34 pm

Project Desolate has been added to Game Resurrection.
My custom role...
Anarchist

Rest in Peace Spirit.
InsaneSmile
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby andysc86 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:36 pm

May I suggest you Add my Ninja Duels Forum Game to the list... Currently the project is managed by Chitownmvp01.

Also I could provide cohost services and also maybe request a cohost sometime within the near future.

You may want look back at some of the games I have done (Espically the ones that failed), because some of them could become a reality with the right people hosting them.
I am the Meme Master! Bow Before me!

Congratz to NheroArconix on winning my Bada$$ Screeny Competition!
Give Damns to the Memes

Launchpad Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3g3p0qNc6qnJ41mH3vwlvw
andysc86
Patron
Patron

Location: Just wondering when I'm not going to be a Town Protective in FM

Postby InsaneSmile » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:51 pm

Well if you want to be a co host can you send me PM with the format the others are in? And I'm only putting forum games up there that the owner comes to me and says the want it to have a new host. I don't want to steal someones game.
My custom role...
Anarchist

Rest in Peace Spirit.
InsaneSmile
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby chitownmvp01 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:02 pm

Nice work on creating this! :D

Thanks Achro!: Spoiler:
Chitsticks INC.

Favorite Roles: Mayor, Jailor, Investigator, Lookout, Sheriff, Godfather, Consigliere
Least Favorite Roles: Transporter, Jester, Survivor, Disguiser, Mafioso (original, not promoted)
chitownmvp01
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner

Postby InsaneSmile » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:20 pm

chitownmvp01 wrote:Nice work on creating this! :D

Thanks! I'm currently working on trying to get it sticky.

What do you Chit, wanna try your hand in a forum game?
My custom role...
Anarchist

Rest in Peace Spirit.
InsaneSmile
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby YoukCat » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:48 pm

"You have to start small. Starting as a co-host or hosting a small game to get your feet wet. Once you've done one you'll be more confidence and know what works and was doesn't."

Peh! My first one was a story, and... Uhm... That failed.
Then more stories!
Erum.....
Well what about the Dashnet For-
Town of Salem?
Town Life?
FINALLY!
*Zelda music*
And that's the progression of someone who fails to use this list and:
"Do not bite off more than you can chew."
YoukCat
Investigator
Investigator

Location: http://dragcave.net/user/Youkyou Breeding 'sum dragons.

Postby ReconMaster » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:02 pm

YoukCat wrote:"You have to start small. Starting as a co-host or hosting a small game to get your feet wet. Once you've done one you'll be more confidence and know what works and was doesn't."

Then more stories!
Erum.....
Town of Salem?
Town Life?
FINALLY!
*Zelda music*

I also sent Insane your advice you gave to me about avoiding game cancelling.

I am currently looking for a co-host, to see how I can improve my forum game so I can get enough players to start, and then the co-host could host when I am offline.
Last edited by ReconMaster on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forum Mafia Record
6D: Witch, Loss
6F: Doctor, Win
TFM5: Banker, Loss
TFM8: Middle Sibling, Win
GFM: Citizen, Win
Deaths by Veteran N1: 2
ReconMaster
Witch
Witch

Postby YoukCat » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:08 pm

Well, I would apply....
Except I do not trust myself enough.
YoukCat
Investigator
Investigator

Location: http://dragcave.net/user/Youkyou Breeding 'sum dragons.

Postby InsaneSmile » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:09 pm

ReconMaster wrote:
YoukCat wrote:"You have to start small. Starting as a co-host or hosting a small game to get your feet wet. Once you've done one you'll be more confidence and know what works and was doesn't."

Then more stories!
Erum.....
Town of Salem?
Town Life?
FINALLY!
*Zelda music*

I am currently looking for a co-host, to see how I can improve my forum game so I can get enough players to start, and then the co-host could host when I am offline.

Currently Ibney is on the list but also contact Ozy. He wanted to co host before so he might now.
My custom role...
Anarchist

Rest in Peace Spirit.
InsaneSmile
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby ReconMaster » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:10 pm

InsaneSmile wrote:
ReconMaster wrote:

Then more stories!
Erum.....
Town of Salem?
Town Life?
FINALLY!
*Zelda music*

Currently Ibney is on the list but also contact Ozy. He wanted to co host before so he might now.

Since I need advice on how to improve my game, I would like to have an experienced co-host, so I will see if Ibney will help.
Forum Mafia Record
6D: Witch, Loss
6F: Doctor, Win
TFM5: Banker, Loss
TFM8: Middle Sibling, Win
GFM: Citizen, Win
Deaths by Veteran N1: 2
ReconMaster
Witch
Witch

Postby SarahThrope » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:11 pm

After doing on/off hosting things once in a while I can state the best strategy is to wing it.
That and the list function is super sweet and stops your lists looking dumb and cluttered.
SarahThrope
Lookout
Lookout

Postby chitownmvp01 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:12 pm

This guide is very helpful to people interesting in hosting and definitely should be referred to. Perhaps sticky worthy? But that's not up to me.

Thanks Achro!: Spoiler:
Chitsticks INC.

Favorite Roles: Mayor, Jailor, Investigator, Lookout, Sheriff, Godfather, Consigliere
Least Favorite Roles: Transporter, Jester, Survivor, Disguiser, Mafioso (original, not promoted)
chitownmvp01
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner

Postby InsaneSmile » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:43 am

chitownmvp01 wrote:This guide is very helpful to people interesting in hosting and definitely should be referred to. Perhaps sticky worthy? But that's not up to me.

Thanks.

A Tips section has now with tips from YoukCat
My custom role...
Anarchist

Rest in Peace Spirit.
InsaneSmile
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby ibney000 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:35 pm

/bump
ibney000
Forger
Forger

Postby Ozyrox » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:06 am

Good job on creating this!!

I would want to be a Co host in some games.

Or at least co host games 1 at a time. I don't wanna take that big step.
Refresh for a new GIF!!

Spoiler: MY ROLE IDEAS

Ozyrox
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby testaccount1234 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:18 am

We really need this to be stickied.
testaccount1234
Godfather
Godfather

Postby InsaneSmile » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:25 am

Ozyrox wrote:Good job on creating this!!

I would want to be a Co host in some games.

Or at least co host games 1 at a time. I don't wanna take that big step.

Great! And would you like to put a brief description of the kind of games you wish to co host or would anything be good.
My custom role...
Anarchist

Rest in Peace Spirit.
InsaneSmile
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Ozyrox » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:12 pm

I am interested in any types of forum games but if I had to be really narrow I love action. I love a good detective scene and I love challenges.
Death is also a key thing (Unless I die) and the roles in that game that can find any clues of roles or the killer.
Refresh for a new GIF!!

Ozyrox
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby InsaneSmile » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:50 pm

ReconMaster and Ozyrox have been added to Find a Co-Host
My custom role...
Anarchist

Rest in Peace Spirit.
InsaneSmile
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby InsaneSmile » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:14 am

testaccount1234 wrote:We really need this to be stickied.

Thanks that means a lot. And I asked it to and last I heard the mods had to talk about it.
My custom role...
Anarchist

Rest in Peace Spirit.
InsaneSmile
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Ozyrox » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:58 pm

We gotta hope for the best then!
Refresh for a new GIF!!

Ozyrox