TG Role/Concept Poll | Voting 2.0

Test roles that have been suggested in simulated gameplay.

TG Role/Concept Poll | Voting 2.0

Postby Cabohhh » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:07 pm

I am now going to accept role submissions for the TG. This will work similarly to the previous system, which is described on this thread. Here's a summary of that thread along with differences between the previous procedure and the new one.

To submit a role or concept, please either reply in this thread or PM Brilliand. Information to include:

• Name of role/concept
  • Link to post on Role Ideas Forum
  • Hex color (Town is #45BF00 and Mafia is #DD0000)

You may submit roles or concepts created by other users, but you must have the original poster's permission. You may submit as many roles/concepts as you want. Concepts may include but are not limited to buffs, nerfs, and larger overhauls. You may also submit changes to the game itself such as changes to the phase lengths or voting structure.

Approved roles and concepts will be displayed on this post as soon as they are approved. Roles/concepts must not be blatant joke ideas and must fulfill the guidelines outlined in this post. If your role violates one of those guidelines but you feel like there is a good reason to do so, please explain your reasoning in your submission message.

Once the submission phase ends, voting will begin.An approval voting system will be used, meaning that you may vote for as many or as few of the proposed roles/concepts as you would like. To vote, please reply to this thread. If you would like to vote anonymously, please PM Brilliand. To make it clear which concepts you are voting for, please use the following format when voting:

/vote [role/concept name] [author if ambiguous]

You may want to take back a vote that you previously sent. To do so, please use the following format:

/unvote [role/concept name] [author if ambiguous]

You may change your votes as many times as you would like within the voting phase. Votes that are not in this form will not be counted.

The following five concepts will be tested for the duration of November.

Judge by Cavespider17 (Widget)
Hierophant by Cabohhh
Huntsman by Cavespider17 (Widget)
Naiad by Cabohhh

Amnesia Gamemode by N/A

The November Submission phase has begun! It will last until

In total, the top four roles and concepts from the current poll will be tested until the subsequent month. If voting is extended beyond the last day of the month, the roles that are currently on the queue from the previous TG will be tested until voting ends. Roles that are not selected this month will automatically be included in the next poll if they have garnered enough votes. Roles that do not meet this requirement will have to be resubmitted and seconded.

In the previous version of the TG, BS4125 introduced the SOVAT acronym to describe the testing process. Think of the new process as SVT:

Submission: Forumers are allowed to submit their concepts into the role poll. The old overviewing phase will be included here. (10 days now, 15-30 days in future months)
Voting: Forumers vote for their favorite concepts. (9 days now, 15-30 days in future months)
Testing: Tests are hosted featuring roles to decide whether they work. (30 days)

Changes to Submission and Voting:

Starting in April 2021, several changes to the submission and voting processes will be implemented. The purpose of these changes is to limit the number of roles in the poll. Here is a description of the changes:

alex1234321 wrote:From now on, all roles must be seconded by at least one other person to be entered into the role poll. To nominate a role, just submit it normally and I will add it to the OP. If you wish to nominate a role anonymously, you may pm me with the information listed in the OP. You can second a role either in the thread or anonymously through a pm, in which case you only need to specify the name of the concept and the author if necessary. Either way please make it clear whether you are nominating or seconding a concept.

We will be moving back to the approval voting system unless there are an unexpectedly large number of submissions (I'd say around 15+ total roles). This means that you will be able to vote for as many roles as you would like. This could be anything from just your very favorite role to any concept that you think is interesting.

As you can see at the beginning of this post, many of the roles in the last poll were pruned due to a lack of votes. From now on, the least popular roles each month will be pruned and must be resubmitted. I'm still not sure what the cutoff will be in future months, but a good starting point is half the number of votes required to make it into the TG, rounded up. This will prevent old roles that nobody really cares about anymore from clogging up the poll.

Nominated roles refers to roles and concepts that were nominated for this month's poll but have not yet been seconded. Please look through these roles and second any that you would like to see in the poll. Seconded roles refers to those that will appear in this month's poll. Roles that were carried over from the last poll are also listed here.

Nominated:

N/A

Seconded:

Scout by WaveAqualei

Familiar by WaveAqualei

Ice Spirit by PMH (Pixel Moonlight Heart)
Parasite by alex1234321
Copycat by Ezradekezra
Emperor by Cabohhh

Arcade Gamemodes by Cavespider17 (Widget)
Last edited by Cabohhh on Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:19 am, edited 39 times in total.
The Coroner
The Mystic
The Hitman
The Hierophant

Grey's Anatomy, Season 5, Episode 6, 3:17
Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Re: TG Role/Concept Poll | Voting 2.0

Postby Cabohhh » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:08 pm

The following roles received enough votes and will automatically be tested in the TG:

Gossip by Brilliand
Hitman by Cabohhh
Mystic by Cabohhh
Chaos Gamemode: Modifiers by cob709
The Coroner
The Mystic
The Hitman
The Hierophant

Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby EtherealEnder » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:07 pm

/nominate Clockmaster viewtopic.php?f=27&t=117737
/nominate Puppeteer viewtopic.php?f=27&t=117425&view=viewpoll (idk how this would work in TG though lol)
My name is Axeras :>

Join the Testing Grounds!
EtherealEnder
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Cabohhh » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:06 pm

/nominate Coroner
The Coroner
The Mystic
The Hitman
The Hierophant

Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Brilliand » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:19 pm

/second Coroner

I'm pretty sure I proposed something like this as a "Medium rework" at some point in the past. Not sure exactly where, though.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Ezradekezra » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:48 pm

Ego
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Brilliand » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:43 pm

With the permission of Kikigiri...

/nominate Investigator Rework by Kikigiri (scroll down a bit - the post gets to Investigator after Disguiser and Framer.)

It should probably be reposted as a thread of its own, but that link into the middle of a thread will do for now.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby SomeCatchyName9 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:48 am

/nominate Dictator - hex code #BF4040

The Dictator is a neutral with a pretty unique win condition - it only wins with evils by surviving to the end of the game, but if it wins, all other evils will lose (except NEs as they usually have different win conditions). So it has to covertly help the evils while hiding from town but also not being too obvious to those evils, as they would be hunting down the Dictator.

/nominate Cult - hex code #BF0080

The Cult is a conversion faction but I would urge people to read the summary before automatically disregarding it for that reason, I think I've made it quite a unique faction that is a lot more controlled and less swingy than the Vampires and other commonly suggested conversion roles.
If you liked my post, be sure to check out my role ideas!

Dictator
Cultist
Wannabe
Tyrant
Sorcerer
SomeCatchyName9

Postby runningwiththepower » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:10 am

/second Clockmaster

/second Dictator

/second Cultist Faction

/second Puppeteer
runningwiththepower

Postby EtherealEnder » Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:57 pm

/second Invest Rework

EtherealEnder
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby jckgwk » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:45 pm

/seconded Coroner
jckgwk

Postby WaveAqualei » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:26 pm

/second Clockmaster by EtherealEnder

/nominate Seer viewtopic.php?f=27&t=116745
/nominate Seamstress viewtopic.php?f=27&t=117611
WaveAqualei
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby EtherealEnder » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:10 pm

/second Seer
/second Seamstress

EtherealEnder
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby WaveAqualei » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:26 am

WaveAqualei wrote:/second Clockmaster by EtherealEnder

/nominate Seer viewtopic.php?f=27&t=116745
/nominate Seamstress viewtopic.php?f=27&t=117611

/nominate Familiar viewtopic.php?f=27&t=117980
WaveAqualei
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby EtherealEnder » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:12 pm

/second Familiar

EtherealEnder
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby EtherealEnder » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:27 pm

fuck it, /nominate Sacrifice viewtopic.php?f=27&t=117782

EtherealEnder
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby EtherealEnder » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:35 pm

EtherealEnder wrote:fuck it, /nominate Sacrifice viewtopic.php?f=27&t=117782

/nominate Glazier viewtopic.php?f=27&t=117965

EtherealEnder
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Cabohhh » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:38 pm

The September Submission phase is over! The following roles were seconded, and will enter the voting phase!

Matchmaker by Salocin481
Coroner by Cabohhh
Clockmaster by EtherealEnder
Seer by WaveAqualei
Seamstress by WaveAqualei

Agent by Salocin481
Puppeteer by EtherealEnder

Hierophant by Cabohhh
Ritualist by alex1234321
Familiar by WaveAqualei

Dictator by SomeCatchyName9
Ice Spirit by PMH
Copycat by Ezradekezra
Echo by WaveAqualei
Parasite by alex1234321
Cult Faction by SomeCatchyName9

Framer Rework by EtherealEnder
Investigator Rework by Kikigiri

The following roles were not seconded, and will have to be submitted again for October.

Sacrifice by EnderEthereal

Please read through all the roles, and to vote fairly. You may revote, withdraw roles, or unvote as many times as you like before . Please try to vote fairly.
Last edited by Cabohhh on Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Ezradekezra » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:32 pm

/vote Copycat
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Benn3 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:34 pm

Here are my thoughts:

Matchmaker: Mise will be a buffed Doctor. Powerful defense barely changes anything compared to Basic, and Medusa is the only Coven role with Powerful attack anyways. Not really that interesting, nor unique.
Coroner: Pretty much just Medium, but instead of talking to players, you simply press a button to get their information.
Clockmaster: Seems too complicated. Also, unable to use your ability till N3?? That mise will be over the half the game if we're talking Ranked. Like, I can't really see rewinding being that useful either. Delaying would just be a nuisance for TIs unless your target is attacked, where you delay their death. This role would also be instantly confirmable unless Hypnotist could fake the messages, although then again you can't even do anything till N3. I feel like if you got rid of the whole 'time travel' concept and just explained it bluntly, it'd be easier to understand.
Seer: Just an Investigator combined with a Lookout.
Seamstress: Already gave my thoughts on Discord a while ago. Pretty much just an objectively better Trapper.

Agent: Just a nerfed Disguiser. Disguiser changes the results of their target, while this just... obscures it. I can't imagine this being any fun to play either.
Puppeteer: Given thoughts on it before, but it's interesting. I just think having to talk for yourself AND the puppet is too complicated. It's very similar to old Disguiser, but with that, you simply took the place of who you controlled, and faked your own death. That means you only had to control one person, yourself. I'd rather make Disguiser something similar to what they were originally than add an entirely new role, though.

Hierophant: Too overpowered. You reflect all attacks, investigations, etc, even executions. With the Necronomicon, just simply gaining an attack is lame. It also doesn't really seem that fun to play.
Ritualist: Voted for this last time. The concept is interesting, although I can see some issues with it, but it's worth a test.
Familiar: Can completely screw over WW, but not only that, the upgrades are just not worth it. You're only gonna get RBD if you're acting suspicious, and if it's N2 it's unlikely. Rampage attack? Sure, that's actually a valid upgrade. But gaining powerful attack? That changes almost nothing. This is also very similar to Juggernaut, which I think is better in execution as you're rewarded for using your ability instead of not. They're also a NK, and this is a Coven, so you'd really need to balance a role like this.

Dictator: Boring NE Janitor. No reason for this to exist when Janitor exists.
Ice Spirit: A kind of odd, NK poisoner/arso combo? It can only 'ignite' 3 people at max, and when you don't, killing people takes an extra day. Not a big fan.
Copycat: Kleptomaniac. (which is also a role that's too similar to witch and that i dont rly like tbh)
Echo: Copycat. Kleptomaniac. But. You. Roleblock.
Cult Faction: I only really skimmed through this, but... I REALLY hate conversion as a mechanic, it's why I want Vampire reworked so badly. The faction as a whole is very confusing too. It punishes the Town for lynching them, and in all it seems super overpowered.

Framer Rework: First issue I see is that they can't choose the investigator result of their target. Second issue is that it doesn't affect Psychic. You shouldn't be able to frame Mafia members either to make them appear inno, that's the Disguiser's job. Overall, better than the current Framer ofc, but there's been very similar reworks that fix the issues I have with this one.
Investigator Rework: Ehhh. It can't check people who haven't claimed for shit, but it can easily confirm players who HAVE claimed along with deconfirming them. I don't really like this TBH as it kind of takes away a big chunk of the scum-reading part of their role and at best would work as a completely separate TI.

/vote Ritualist
(spent WAY TOO MUCH TIME CRITQUING THESE ROLES AAAAAAAA)
My main role concepts:

Caporegime
Spirit
Sniper
Assassin
Benn3
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Brilliand » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:44 pm

I see Matchmaker and Seer are Town roles that are Coven-only because they would be OP in classic. I don't like that idea, as it implies the old "classic" roles will become UP in Coven.

I've reposted Investigator Rework by Kikigiri as a thread of its own, for easier reference.

/vote Coroner by Cabohhh
/vote Agent by Salocin481
/vote Hierophant by Cabohhh
/vote Parasite by alex1234321
/vote Investigator Rework by Kikigiri
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Link9058 » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:33 pm

/vote Agent by Salocin 481
Link9058

Postby Cabohhh » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:24 am

Matchmaker by Salocin481 3 Not that bad, and I love another Coven-exclusive role.
Clockmaster by EtherealEnder 1 Complicated, and I don't see a situation where this is useful.
Seer by WaveAqualei 2 Investigator x Lookout basically.
Seamstress by WaveAqualei 1 It's okay.

Agent by Salocin481 7 Meh.
Puppeteer by EtherealEnder4 No.

Ritualist by alex1234321 4 Sounds cool, I love playing like Exe.
Familiar by WaveAqualei 5 Bane of WW's existence, which is unfair. You would be able to tie against a WW, but not against an SK?

Dictator by SomeCatchyName9 2 Just citizen that screws over town for playing well. NO.
Ice Spirit by PMH 5 I don't know why the will is shown while the role is obscured, most people claim their role unless they're evil. You either have a KPN of 0.5 or delayed 1.
Copycat by Ezradekezra 3 Eh, it's been in the poll a few times now.
Echo by WaveAqualei 2 Meh.
Parasite by alex1234321 3 Volatile NK, either makes or breaks the game, where you have to defend your host.
Cult Faction by SomeCatchyName9 2 I just hate factions.

Framer Rework by EtherealEnder 2 Yes.
Investigator Rework by Kikigiri 1 I feel like this would nerf it to hell. It does the same thing, but now your job is just a lot harder.

Now for the votes:
/vote Coroner
/vote Hierophant
/vote Seamstress
/vote Matchmaker
/vote Ritualist
/vote Framer Rework
The Coroner
The Mystic
The Hitman
The Hierophant

Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Cabohhh » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:52 pm

Kirize12 wrote:
Cabohhh wrote:
Voting:

Matchmaker by Salocin481 4

I’m not gonna cast a vote for this, because I don’t care about Coven exclusive roles. It’s not the worst, but something feels wrong about it. It’s like it protects people unless they’re both attacked.

Coroner by Cabohhh 7

I will cast a TENTATIVE vote. I’m ok with this role in a Clue Variant, where roles do not show upon death, killers are nor revealed, there are no last wills, and there is no night feedback and kick out DD.

/vote* EXCLUSIVE TO CLUE VARIANT

Clockmaster by EtherealEnder 1

Not entirely sure how this works, so I won’t be voting.

Seer by WaveAqualei 2

Crusader, meet Investigator?
Seamstress by WaveAqualei 2

Feels like Trapper but worse.

Agent by Salocin481 7

I’ll bite.

/vote

Puppeteer by EtherealEnder4

The developers have stated they don’t like speech manipulators, such as the alpha Disguiser. This alone warrants disqualification. I personally don’t like speech manipulators either.

Hierophant by Cabohhh 4

I’ll bite, only cuz the name reminds me of Deleter.

/vote

Ritualist by alex1234321 5

I’ll bite. It’s more balanced than Dusa and Hex Master.

/vote

Familiar by WaveAqualei 5

Dictator by SomeCatchyName9 2

I read it a while back, doesn’t seem good.

Ice Spirit by PMH 5

If the “douse and chill” is removed I’ll bite. Feels like more of an Arso rework than a standalone role though.

/vote* provided “douse and chill” cancel-out is removed. Balance > Lore!

Copycat by Ezradekezra 3

NE shouldn’t directly kill.

Echo by WaveAqualei 2

NE (even in other alignments) shouldn’t directly kill.

Parasite by alex1234321 3

Actually, seems pretty solid. Worth a test at least.

/vote

Cult Faction by SomeCatchyName9 2

I’m ok with this. I think we should remove the conversion factor and just make it “reverse unique” for chaos games, but...

/vote (why am I voting a conversion role...also isn’t this against the rules of TG?)

Framer Rework by EtherealEnder 3

Haven’t read it, but I’ll vote on principle because Framer sucks.

/vote

Investigator Rework by Kikigiri 1

Wait, so you’re telling me that Investigator remains a “partial role cop” but without a list to memorize?

/VOTE!

As an aside, the developers have openly stated they’d like to rework Invest to not have a list. So it’s worth testing just because TG has to aim to impact the game.

kirize you cant have a conditional vote
The Coroner
The Mystic
The Hitman
The Hierophant

Cabohhh
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby DoctorPyro2001 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:39 am

/vote Ice Spirit by PMH