Herbalist v2 — Town Protective

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Herbalist v2 — Town Protective

Postby Cookazoo2 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:11 am

Herbalist (Town Protective)
— Give healing herbs to two players at night.
— Players are not informed they were given healing herbs.
— If someone is attacked by a Basic attack while they have herbs, they will see the following message:
Code: Select all
You were attacked but barely survived! You will die tomorrow unless tended to!

— If someone is about to die from an herb-prevented attack, they will see the following message:
You were about to die but healing herbs saved you! You will die tomorrow unless tended to!

— If someone is targeted by a Potion Master or Doctor heal when they are about to die from an herb-prevented attack, they will see the following message:
Your wounds were tended to! You are cured!

— Every one of these messages can be faked by a Hypnotist.

----

In summary, the Herbalist is a protective role that can preserve other players from death but requires constant attention to keep them alive, or a fortunate Doctor or Potion Master's heal.

----

changelog
- removed ability to cure or halt poison
Last edited by Cookazoo2 on Fri May 07, 2021 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hiya. I'm a Tactical Mafia Kills supporter.

Help balance the Aliens!
Cookazoo2
Doctor
Doctor

Re: Herbalist v2 — Town Protective

Postby alex1234321 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:27 am

This might be UP, but I'm not sure. It can heal twice as many players but the utility is far lower. No matter what, a Doctor prevents one death with a successful heal. If the Herbalist saves someone to prevent scum majority, Town can lynch scum for a day but unless it's a 2v1 scum will gain majority the next day.

If you allow Herbalist to chain heal someone to keep them alive, it's more likely to save at least one person than Doctor, but it will never be able to save more than two. So the skill floor is higher but the ceiling is lower. I would argue that this is slightly OP, but giving the Poisoner heal power just to Doctor could even things out somewhat.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Cookazoo2 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:16 am

changed to remove poison cure

Help balance the Aliens!
Cookazoo2
Doctor
Doctor

Postby noveiia » Thu May 06, 2021 1:32 pm

I like this idea but I think it needs a little more specifics so it’s just more fleshed out.
What counts as an attack that’s healable by herbs? I can tell poison isn’t, which I think is a good idea because poisoner is the slowest Coven killing role as it is. What about Plaguebearer/Pestilence? If someone gets infected should they be able to heal that without knowing (same messages pop up so they have no clue that it’s about being infected)? Or should they protect against attacks once PB because Pest? Same applies to Hex Master bombs, Werewolf rampages, Jugg, Arso, and similar attacks that are more unique. What is an attack that’s healable by herbs?
You definitely have a good start and a good idea I feel like your main issue isn’t power balancing like a lot of roles, but instead the issue is figuring out more detailed information about the role.
noveiia
Civilian
Civilian

Postby Cookazoo2 » Fri May 07, 2021 8:58 am

noveiia wrote:I like this idea but I think it needs a little more specifics so it’s just more fleshed out.
What counts as an attack that’s healable by herbs? I can tell poison isn’t, which I think is a good idea because poisoner is the slowest Coven killing role as it is. What about Plaguebearer/Pestilence? If someone gets infected should they be able to heal that without knowing (same messages pop up so they have no clue that it’s about being infected)? Or should they protect against attacks once PB because Pest? Same applies to Hex Master bombs, Werewolf rampages, Jugg, Arso, and similar attacks that are more unique. What is an attack that’s healable by herbs?
You definitely have a good start and a good idea I feel like your main issue isn’t power balancing like a lot of roles, but instead the issue is figuring out more detailed information about the role.

All Basic attacks except poison can be stopped by herbs.

If that's too weak I'll make it Powerful attacks too.

Help balance the Aliens!
Cookazoo2
Doctor
Doctor

Postby alex1234321 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:14 am

Cookazoo2 wrote:
noveiia wrote:I like this idea but I think it needs a little more specifics so it’s just more fleshed out.

I think it should be powerful since the other TPs give powerful defense.

The bigger question is whether or not the Herbalist should be able to keep delaying its target's death. If it can, it would be like Doctor but with a lower ceiling and a much higher floor. Otherwise, it's probably weaker than Doctor but I'm not certain.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Cookazoo2 » Fri May 07, 2021 9:27 am

alex1234321 wrote:
Cookazoo2 wrote:

I think it should be powerful since the other TPs give powerful defense.

The bigger question is whether or not the Herbalist should be able to keep delaying its target's death. If it can, it would be like Doctor but with a lower ceiling and a much higher floor. Otherwise, it's probably weaker than Doctor but I'm not certain.

it is able to keep delaying its targets death as of now.

giving it only basic defense allows some roles to punch through someone in this state, hence why i'm suggesting basic only.

Help balance the Aliens!
Cookazoo2
Doctor
Doctor

Return to Role Ideas