FM Citizen Guide

Talk about Forum Mafia feedback, suggestions, etc here.

Moderators: Varanus, FM Game Moderators

FM Citizen Guide

Postby ObiWan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:25 pm

Citizen Guide

So... you got chosen to be a Citizen, eh?
What?! Why are you crying? You don't like this role?
Well, sit down and let me tell you why this role is so important to FM.

----------------------------------

You think this role's useless because you don't have a night action?
WRONG.

You think you can just post once a day without contributing and your side will win?
WRONG.

You think you're just cannon fodder for the scum?
WRONG.

You think enderitem isn't beautiful?
WRONG.

----------------------------------

Contribution:

So what if you don't have a night action? Not everyone who has a night action gets to use theirs every night. So using that as an excuse not to post is wrong.

There are lots of ways in which you can contribute to the town and post.

1. Summarize what is going on, such as what happened to everyone last night.

Note: Not everyone enjoys doing this/hearing this, but it helps.

It helps people who weren't being active to catch up. A good description of what they missed might spark interest in them and hopefully make them analyze things.

You can prepare a list with the live players names and write down what happened to them, if anything. Keep it updated and at hand, and you're ready to go for discussion.

2. Ask people questions, such as: Who do you think is scummy? Why?

This can help bring out possible scum - maybe even bring out a scum-slip. It also helps in the future days to come. Whether in whispers or in the thread, this is a good idea.

Also, go around reaction-fishing. See how people react when they're called scummy. See how they react when they think they've slipped under the radar. If they let their guard down, scum might get greedy and slip up.

3. Make reads on people. Get out a pen and paper (Or Word) and write down everyone's name.
    FM Note Taker is also a great tool to use. I highly recommend it.
    You can either rate them and write down thoughts on them, or just write down why their posts are or aren't scummy.

4. Post your reads once they are finished. EVERY DAY. The more you read people, the better you become at the game. That is my honest opinion. Even if you get a wrong read, you'll know for next time what to look for and what not to look for. It essentially makes you a better player.

5. After you post your reads, look out for how people react to them. If you said you got a scum read on someone because they make short and unhelpful posts, and suddenly they start doing long, analytical posts, you might be onto something.

6. Help come up with a Night plan. Even if you don't know everyone's role, you can still throw off the Mafia by making up possible roles. Such as "A Lookout - if we have one - should be on Metrion."

7. As a last resort to distract scum, you could try to softclaim a power role to make Mafia target you. They know you're likely Town, so even a slight hint could make them flip and attack you if they think you're a threat to them.

8. Take Risks: Having this role allows you to take more risks and try new strategies. But make sure those strategies won't hurt town in the end! While risks are...risky, if you honestly believe it'll be the best way to help the town - take it. If it doesn't work out, you'll know for next time.

Final Note: Just because someone is doing this in a future game does NOT make them a Citizen. These are just ways you can contribute and help your side win.

-----------------------------------------------

Why you aren't just cannon fodder:

Yes, you help the town by sacrificing yourself - but that is not just what you're good for. If you make reads and contribute and you get killed by mafia, the town can use those reads to help them later in the game.

Your reads could even save a life!

Particularly if something you said is what got you killed. Putting your suspicions in your will can also help.

A suggestion:
Citizens shouldn't hardclaim publicly unless they're at risk of getting lynched. Known Citizens only give Mafia a guided tour on who to attack.

----------------------------------------------

Example of Excellent Citizen play in previous games:(Feel free to suggest other games)

Episode II -
This one is an excellent example of good Citizen play. Rick and I were both Citizens in this game. This was my first time being a Citizen and I actually loved it a lot.

I could post freely without really worrying about Mafia targeting me. If they targeted me - great - I helped the town. If they didn't - also great - I could keep contributing to the town. While Rick and I bounced information off each other - we came up with leads and reads to help the town.

Citizen leaders? For the win!

-----------------------------------------------

Overall:

You're playing a game.

If you were playing Mario - you wouldn't sit in front of the screen and expect him to automatically win the game for you, right?
So buck up and make some reads! I believe in you!

----------------------------------------------

Note: This guide has nothing to do with any current games. I've been thinking about writing this for a long time
If you want to add something to this guide - post below and I may add it in.
Thank you for reading!
This was not the scumslip you were looking for.

Alzar wrote:there is no such thing as a meta, forum mafia is a lie, we are products of a confused society

ObiWan
Vampire
Vampire

Re: FM Citizen Guide

Postby chitownmvp01 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:28 pm

Thank you Obi! This is a great guide that all Citizens should read when playing. Many Citizens in past games have been either scummy and got mislynched or very inactive. The first time I was a Citizen, I was quite scummy myself, so this is actually very helpful for me for when I become a Citizen next.
Spoiler: Image

Thanks Achro!: Spoiler:
Chitsticks INC.

Favorite Roles: Mayor, Jailor, Investigator, Lookout, Sheriff, Godfather, Consigliere
Least Favorite Roles: Transporter, Jester, Survivor, Disguiser, Mafioso (original, not promoted)
chitownmvp01
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner

Postby Neasans » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:35 pm

Yay, Citizen guide.

Really, the Citizen role is actually important, even though people seem to think it means they'll never be useful. Knowing how to use it properly can really help Town.

Very helpful. Thanks, Obi.
Lmao my old sig was so angry I can't even

Time really is...something
Neasans
Philanthropist
Philanthropist

Location: Wondering what the heck my teenage self was thinking in here

Postby iggyvolz » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:38 pm

You might want to suggest FMNT in Contribution - 3.
Greatest failures/shitshows:
iggyvolz
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby ObiWan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:39 pm

iggyvolz wrote:You might want to suggest FMNT in Contribution - 3.

Excellent point - I'll add that in. Thanks!

Alzar wrote:there is no such thing as a meta, forum mafia is a lie, we are products of a confused society

ObiWan
Vampire
Vampire

Postby datdownie » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:07 am

Thanks! I'll remember this for being a citizen again! *cough* 2C *cough*

"Determination, the ability to move forward despite any possible hardship, the promise to return for a second chance no matter how much you're beaten and bloody. The power of Determination has sculpted legends for all of humanity, impossible feats, one in a million shots made like they're nothing, while those that pull them off stand alone."

If you want to find me, hop onto Board Game Online <3

Discord: Downie#0904
datdownie
[Forum Mafia X] Winner
[Forum Mafia X] Winner

Postby enderitem » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:04 am

ObiWan wrote:
You think enderitem isn't beautiful?
WRONG.

Pretty much the moment I realized that Obi made the greatest FM post ever. Good job. :lol:

And of course you would put Episode 2 since it is the best game ever.
enderitem
FM Awards: Creator
FM Awards: Creator

Postby Santa07 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:15 am

You could also add that it allows you to take more risks, trying new strategies, as your death is not as important as the PRs.
Santa07
Christmas 2016 Winner
Christmas 2016 Winner

Postby ObiWan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:57 am

Santa07 wrote:You could also add that it allows you to take more risks, trying new strategies, as your death is not as important as the PRs.

I shall add that in - thanks!

ObiWan
Vampire
Vampire

Postby LordofFail » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:31 pm

My Citizen play (should I ever get the Citizen role) would involve softclaiming an important Town role in the hopes of being targeted by the Mafia or NK. Citizen is a popular scum claim, and an actual Citizen dying would serve to benefit the Town more than hurt it.
"The Hardest Game to Win is a Won Game"

~~ Emanuel Lasker ~~

Mystery Link
LordofFail
[Forum Mafia I] Winner
[Forum Mafia I] Winner

Postby watchme1 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:20 pm

I guess my poor play as a Citizen in 5F costed a waste. This guide will certainly help for all those who get chosen as the citizen! Althought Godfathers will start to use this guide...
FM Record - 26 Wins - 33 Losses - 7 Broke/Draw

Rip tosfm
watchme1
[Forum Mafia XIX] Winner
[Forum Mafia XIX] Winner

Postby iggyvolz » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:38 pm

watchme1 wrote:I guess my poor play as a Citizen in 5F costed a waste. This guide will certainly help for all those who get chosen as the citizen! Althought Godfathers will start to use this guide...

See Watchme1's signature.
Greatest failures/shitshows:
iggyvolz
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby spretznaz » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:38 am

Citizen is actually better than most other roles imo. Abilities come second to the actual player, and if someone can play mafia well WITHOUT any fancy abilities then they can sometimes be better than a not-so-good player with one.
Spoiler: Image

Click pic, join Cabal.

spretznaz
[Forum Mafia VIII] Winner
[Forum Mafia VIII] Winner

Postby TheThief » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:20 pm

LordofFail wrote:My Citizen play (should I ever get the Citizen role) would involve softclaiming an important Town role in the hopes of being targeted by the Mafia or NK. Citizen is a popular scum claim, and an actual Citizen dying would serve to benefit the Town more than hurt it.

I would do the opposite.
Try to claim an evil role because not even a jester would do that.
A gay man who appreciates the artistic value in innuendos and bad jokes.
TheThief
[Forum Mafia II] Winner
[Forum Mafia II] Winner

Postby Rickdaily12 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:00 pm

Citizen OP please nerf :P

Nah, maybe the worst thing about being Citizen is that a lot of evil roles scum claim it, and if the Investigatior is dead or doesn't have time to check you, you will always have SOME Mayors trying to scream for you to die.

But since Citizen really is just cannon fodder for thr power roles- it definitely does the best when people shrug off the (OMFG I HATE CITIZEN BLEH) attitude, only to step it up and take charge. It makes people want to believe you're Town more than if you just sat there telling a joke every 36 hours.

Do not sit there telling a joke every 36 hours. It's proven to get people to lynch you.

Your job is to blend in to the behavior of other Power Roles. The more important you make yourself look, the better the result. Just try not to derail the Town with lies, or else you might get lynched in the process.
"Don't lie this is all so you could post Ace Attorney gifs and have it be relevant isn't it." ~Sarah Thorpe

Looking for guides? :D

Check out the LGBTAI+ Thread!

Rickdaily12
FM Awards: Town
FM Awards: Town

Postby SarahThrope » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:53 pm

ObiWan wrote:8. Take Risks: Having this role allows you to take more risks and try new strategies. But make sure those strategies won't hurt town in the end! While risks are...risky, if you honestly believe it'll be the best way to help the town - take it. If it doesn't work out, you'll know for next time.

This is the only thing here I agree with.
Even then its only due to the tip "name" not the reasoning.

I think the stupid memetic growth of my time as the role gives me enough credibility on this.
SarahThrope
Lookout
Lookout

Postby RhazhBash » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:20 pm

When I roll a Town PR I barely notice my action and just play a Cit game with some messages sent to the mods every so often. Night play can be helpful, but good day play is almost always what wins games.
RhazhBash
Benefactor
Benefactor

Return to FM Discussion