Why are the developers so greedy?

Ask questions you may have about the game here.

Why are the developers so greedy?

Postby GeneralCatBombs » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:43 pm

Why have the devs gotten so greedy? This went from a pretty cool simplistic game to *give me more money raaaa*. It's just so sad that you can't play this game for free anymore I remember kids at school would play so this so much due to it being free to play, now only ogs can play this game without spending money or having to stomach mobile with it's numerous ads just to play. #oggonegreed
GeneralCatBombs
Executioner
Executioner

Re: Why are the developers so greedy?

Postby cob709 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:05 pm

A few years back, perhaps around 2018, Town of Salem was botted.
Even though there were attempts to prevent these bots from getting into games, it was not successful.

The only solution was to make the game p2p in order to make the game playable.
It's unfortunate, yes. However, necessary.

Though.. There was probably a better solution..
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby GeneralCatBombs » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:51 pm

Really? That's the excuse of making new players pay for a flash game... wow that's awful. Many games have been able to remain free. there's always a work around that doesn't involve being lazy and greedy. Also I personally never experienced any bots or anything of the sort and neither did anyone else I knew.
GeneralCatBombs
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Brilliand » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:56 pm

ToS was free for a LONG time, but then it was specifically and aggressively attacked.

Maybe it will be able to go back to being free eventually, but current signs point to the people who attacked ToS still being out there and wishing they could do it again.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:07 pm

GeneralCatBombs wrote:Really? That's the excuse of making new players pay for a flash game... wow that's awful. Many games have been able to remain free. there's always a work around that doesn't involve being lazy and greedy. Also I personally never experienced any bots or anything of the sort and neither did anyone else I knew.

As someone who stayed up night and day banning bots, even on work-nights and going to work restless the next morning, rest assured there was no other way of handling the bots at the time. There was nothing they could program and throw together in a short amount of time to permanently fix the issue. They could only throw band-aids on it, which they did several times before conceding and turning P2P. The Devs aren't greedy. If they wanted to be greedy about it, they could have made everyone who already had an account be forced to pay for their new account under the P2P system.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=92848

This thread shows most of their decisions they made prior to making the switch. I can personally confirm all of that, plus more, was done in an attempt to deter the bots.

P.S: Town of Salem is no longer a Flash Game.... :|
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GeneralCatBombs » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:21 pm

New system eh still a flash game in my opinion. Until it goes to xbox or playstation or becomes 3D and will no longer run under flash. I'll consider it a non-flash/mobile game. Also I'm pretty sure you could do something about bots if the game ran on an actual engine... or if it is? (Idek anymore you still play on chrome) then put it on actual engine make it 3D even. Hell I'd wanna pay for it at that point but like how can you guys look at the game say with a 100% certainty that "tos mobile.... That's a good idea we'll make everyone watch one ad to play one match!" Not even one ad for 30 minutes or anything better one ad per match like wtf the game doesn't even belong on mobile in the first place...
GeneralCatBombs
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Ezradekezra » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:43 pm

GeneralCatBombs wrote:New system eh still a flash game in my opinion. Until it goes to xbox or playstation or becomes 3D and will no longer run under flash. I'll consider it a non-flash/mobile game. Also I'm pretty sure you could do something about bots if the game ran on an actual engine... or if it is? (Idek anymore you still play on chrome) then put it on actual engine make it 3D even. Hell I'd wanna pay for it at that point but like how can you guys look at the game say with a 100% certainty that "tos mobile.... That's a good idea we'll make everyone watch one ad to play one match!" Not even one ad for 30 minutes or anything better one ad per match like wtf the game doesn't even belong on mobile in the first place...

Do you know anything about game development?
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby mdntranger » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:45 pm

Question -

Why do you work? Do you create things? Do you put time and effort into your work and expect to be compensated? Why wouldn't anyone who enjoys this game not be willing to contribute a bit to its success? Running servers costs money. Continued development costs money. Keeping an internet connection costs money. Five dollars for unlimited access is a small price to pay for a game you enjoy.
mdntranger
Witch
Witch

Postby GeneralCatBombs » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:37 pm

Don't think my other response when through so here's a new one. No I probably don't have the right to have an opinion especially on something like this but here I am. In all honesty I'm not only concerned about the game costing money even though that's basically all I bitched about lol... I'm actually more saddened about the fact they this game is barley alive as it is and making this game cost 5$ hurts this game a lot. It may not seem like much he t there are a lot of people that can't afford to pay 5$s play a game that looks like a flash game or a game that they probably wouldn't even play. Most this community is just filled with ogs that's good and all that this many people still care but even when coven came out for money I couldn't find a game to save my life at times, it was that bad and now they have a pay wall to the game? It's like the devs want this game to be completely forgotten at this point. Making a mobile port doesn't help this games case it only looks like a sad last attempt at getting new players to play. Truth is I loved this game and I still think this game is amazing but if I could barley find a game on coven a paid dlc I don't see this game surviving for too much longer.
GeneralCatBombs
Executioner
Executioner

Postby RiceHatMan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:42 am

What exactly do you suggest the devs do then?

Also why is this a question (literally).
RiceHatMan
Investigator
Investigator

Postby superdog551 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:47 pm

GeneralCatBombs wrote:Don't think my other response when through so here's a new one. No I probably don't have the right to have an opinion especially on something like this but here I am. In all honesty I'm not only concerned about the game costing money even though that's basically all I bitched about lol... I'm actually more saddened about the fact they this game is barley alive as it is and making this game cost 5$ hurts this game a lot. It may not seem like much he t there are a lot of people that can't afford to pay 5$s play a game that looks like a flash game or a game that they probably wouldn't even play. Most this community is just filled with ogs that's good and all that this many people still care but even when coven came out for money I couldn't find a game to save my life at times, it was that bad and now they have a pay wall to the game? It's like the devs want this game to be completely forgotten at this point. Making a mobile port doesn't help this games case it only looks like a sad last attempt at getting new players to play. Truth is I loved this game and I still think this game is amazing but if I could barley find a game on coven a paid dlc I don't see this game surviving for too much longer.

I'm going to have a hot take here but if someone can't afford to pay $5 for Town of Salem then they probably can't afford a computer to play it on anyway. I don't think the paywall is significant enough to deter new players. Coven has been low on players since the day it came out but I have no trouble finding games in classic ToS. So no, I don't think the game is dead or dying, nor do I think the devs want the game forgotten. And I certainly don't think they are greedy since they gave people with pre-existing accounts free access, made the mobile port free to play, gave players referral tickets to let friends try the game for free, give coven tickets to try coven for free, etc. There is just so much they could monetize if they were truly greedy but haven't
joaodasalmas wrote:Abilities: You can reveal yourself as the King Potato, and now you can't be voted.

My Roles:
Charmer
Oracle
Associate

Get in here and count to 200300 before 2030!
In-game my name is Jay
superdog551
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Ezradekezra » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:50 pm

GeneralCatBombs wrote:Truth is I loved this game and I still think this game is amazing but if I could barley find a game on coven a paid dlc I don't see this game surviving for too much longer.

What game modes are you playing? Coven lobbies fill reasonably quickly for me.
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Return to Ask Questions