Retributionist nerf

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Retributionist nerf

Postby OkNoPlayOkNoPlay » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:46 pm

As we all know the Retributionist (as with basically all of Town Supports) needs a very hard nerf. He's a very powerful role and also very easy to use: you just click a button and et-voila! You are now confirmed to town 100% while bringing back a dead townie for free. I know that a Consort or a Witch can just roleblock them, but it's very hard to find him early in the game and most of the times townies will find him first. After the resurrection he just becomes a loose confirmed town with no real purpose other than aiding town with his vote. So what can we do to improve him? Well...

LET HIM ONLY RESURRECT IF HE'S DEAD. (just like the Jester ability to haunt after he's dead)

Yeah. Basically now the Retributionist can only resurrect if he's dead. This honestly makes the role already more interesting, as it becomes a kinda "reverse-jester" for town. Mafia will have to be careful on who to kill, because if they kill the Retributionist, it's their loss: now town has the possibility of resurrecting one person. It also makes the Retributionist more fake-able for evil roles. A Jester can trick town and make them think that he's the Ret so he will get killed and get an easy win... but the real Ret will have to do something in order to die! Because he's useful only if he dies! So he kinda becomes like the Veteran in this sense.

I think this change is very minor (code-wise) but very impactful on the way Retributionist is played. What do you guys think?
OkNoPlayOkNoPlay

Re: Retributionist nerf

Postby Brilliand » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:24 pm

Retri re-work options

That thread doesn't have this particular idea in it, but... I don't think this idea would actually help. With your idea, the Retri becomes literally unstoppable, guaranteed to get a revive off once per game. Granted it confirms one fewer person, but I'm not certain that makes up for the unstoppability, let alone nerfing the overpowered role to a manageable level.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Re: Retributionist nerf

Postby OkNoPlayOkNoPlay » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:25 am

Brilliand wrote:Retri re-work options

That thread doesn't have this particular idea in it, but... I don't think this idea would actually help. With your idea, the Retri becomes literally unstoppable, guaranteed to get a revive off once per game. Granted it confirms one fewer person, but I'm not certain that makes up for the unstoppability, let alone nerfing the overpowered role to a manageable level.

Thanks for the thread. All the ideas there are interesting, but I wonder if even one of these ideas have been actually tried in game... a small balance update wouldn't hurt in this sense...
OkNoPlayOkNoPlay

Return to Role Ideas