Gender inclusivity

Put any feedback about the game here.

Of the following, what ways would you be okay seeing pronoun choices implemented?

No change whatsoever.
44%
Everyone uses they/them. No gendered (he/him or she/her) pronouns in the game.
12%
No change (changes with the skin you have on), but update some skins so you can access they/them as an option
3%
No change (changes with the skin you have on), but add some skins so you can access they/them as an option
3%
You can choose your skin to randomize between any skin that uses a specific pronoun - No They/them option (IE "random skin: female only")
6%
You can choose your skin to randomize between any skin that uses a specific pronoun - Update some skins so they/them is an option (IE "random skin: gender-neutral only")
3%
You can choose your skin to randomize between any skin that uses a specific pronoun - Add skins so they/them is an option (IE "random skin: male only")
3%
You can choose your skin independently of your pronouns- include she/her, he/him
3%
You can choose your skin independently of your pronouns- include she/her, he/him, random pronouns
No votes
You can choose your skin independently of your pronouns- include she/her, he/him, they/them
12%
You can choose your skin independently of your pronouns- include she/her, he/him, they/them, random pronouns
9%
Other: Described in the thread
3%

Total votes : 34

Gender inclusivity

Postby Scootalootaloo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:52 pm

I think town of salem needs an update to be more inclusive. Not everyone who wants to use the crimson reaper skin is comfortable seeing he/him pronouns, nor do all those using the Uriel the Angel skin want to use she/her pronouns.

Town of Salem needs to allow players to select pronouns.

I'd even argue, since all other aspects of character customization can be randomized, that the options should be "she/her", "they/them", "he/him", and random.
Scootalootaloo
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Gender inclusivity

Postby Scootalootaloo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:24 am

Noticed after posting that this is a very well documented thing that many players want. There is a thread in the suggestions section relatively recently.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=105938&p=3408710#p3408710
Scootalootaloo
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Brilliand » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:59 am

Scootalootaloo wrote:Noticed after posting that this is a very well documented thing that many players want. There is a thread in the suggestions section relatively recently.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=105938&p=3408710#p3408710

It's misleading to say "this is a very well documented thing that many players want". It's a controversial thing that some players want and some players don't - and you should have known that this has already been proposed and discussed, since you posted in that very thread in early February.

/nosupport, for the reasons I posted in that thread, plus the added reason that you're being too aggressive about this (considering you announced that you "blocked everyone who doesn't support it").
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Flavorable » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:02 am

Unnecessary. You play the role of your chosen character. If you don't want to be called a certain gender, don't use that skin. If you play a protagonist of a game, you don't ask them to change the pronouns, either. Why would you do it here?
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby James2 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:16 pm

Scootalootaloo wrote:I think town of salem needs an update to be more inclusive. Not everyone who wants to use the crimson reaper skin is comfortable seeing he/him pronouns, nor do all those using the Uriel the Angel skin want to use she/her pronouns.

Town of Salem needs to allow players to select pronouns.

I'd even argue, since all other aspects of character customization can be randomized, that the options should be "she/her", "they/them", "he/him", and random.

In my opinion, anyone who is upset about being "misgendered" in an online game should take up a job or a hobby or some other useful activity to occupy their time. That usually cures such ails.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby kyuss420 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:58 am

Im gonna call everyone a him anyway. typing ''he'' is one less character I have to look for on my keyboard than if i type ''she'', so i may be able to post a second earlier than typing ''she''. Also its a role playing game, so what does it matter what gender you are role playing as? Its make believe....

Also, according to Islam and the Hebrew Bible, the Reapers name is Azrael which means ''Angel of God'' which is used as a boys name. The 7 arch angels are named Michael, Raphael, Gabriel, Uriel, Saraqael, Raguel, and Remiel (with Gabriel being the only one depicted as both genders), with the book of Enoch adding Ariel, Azrael, Haniel, Jeremiel, Raziel and the prophet Elijahs twin sons Metatron and Sandalphon.

So I implore the devs, so as not to offend my religious beliefs, that Uriels gender and pronouns be changed to male and made to stay that way.
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Descender » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:22 am

just fucking add an option for they/them bmg
Possibly known as TodaysStory
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Chemist1422 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:35 am

Skin defaults should probably be they/them just so issues like this don't exist

If you're getting referred to by the wrong pronouns in chat and that's an issue for you just correct people, that shouldn't be something the game has to work around
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?
(still here for danganronpa i guess)

stop sending reports to me i'm not a tos game moderator
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby Flavorable » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:05 pm

Chemist1422 wrote:Skin defaults should probably be they/them just so issues like this don't exist

If you're getting referred to by the wrong pronouns in chat and that's an issue for you just correct people, that shouldn't be something the game has to work around

I disagree about the defaults being they/them. I don't see why it has to be gender neutral when the skins literally physically have a gender. I like the full immersion of being the skin, my entire game experience shouldn't have to be specifically altered just to pacify someone else.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MysticMismagius » Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:30 pm

Flavorable wrote:
Chemist1422 wrote:Skin defaults should probably be they/them just so issues like this don't exist

I disagree about the defaults being they/them. I don't see why it has to be gender neutral when the skins literally physically have a gender. I like the full immersion of being the skin, my entire game experience shouldn't have to be specifically altered just to pacify someone else.
Because some things are gendered, but others aren't. It should at least be consistent...
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Brilliand » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:02 pm

MysticMismagius wrote:Because some things are gendered, but others aren't. It should at least be consistent...

Which things aren't?
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby MysticMismagius » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:30 pm

Brilliand wrote:
MysticMismagius wrote:Because some things are gendered, but others aren't. It should at least be consistent...
Which things aren't?
From the death sequence, there's this: Spoiler: Image Even if you're indifferent to the topic of gender inclusivity, it's quite jarring to see the same person referred to as "he/she" and as "they" in consecutive sentences. Additionally, there are about a hundred Spy, Consig, and other in-game messages that aren't gendered either, referring to specific people as "they". There's merit to the argument that all messages like this should either use variable pronouns, or stick to "they" regardless of who the target is.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Flavorable » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:38 pm

MysticMismagius wrote:
Brilliand wrote:
Which things aren't?
From the death sequence, there's this: Spoiler: Image Even if you're indifferent to the topic of gender inclusivity, it's quite jarring to see the same person referred to as "he/she" and as "they" in consecutive sentences. Additionally, there are about a hundred Spy, Consig, and other in-game messages that aren't gendered either, referring to specific people as "they". There's merit to the argument that all messages like this should either use variable pronouns, or stick to "they" regardless of who the target is.

But that's a whole different point. The main suggestion/feedback here wasn't a lack of consistency (also, I assume those messages are as such, because the game doesn't "read" the target's skin, it being a more basic message, but I will bring this up with the Devs), the main suggestion/feedback was to call everyone "they". And like Kat said, I'm not a they. I'm a she, I only use female skins for that reason, I like being a she, I wouldn't appreciate being put into a genderless, neutral pronoun, solely because a couple people want to have a male skin and be called a she or vice versa.

Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby MysticMismagius » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:45 pm

You asked "Why use they?" so that's what I answered. I didn't vote for it on the OP, and I can't devalue your being bothered by it. But there are reasons one might consider it to be a good idea.

Personally I would prefer the option to pick pronouns separately, because some people like myself randomize our skins, and as such the name we choose is far more important than the skin we get.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Descender » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:08 am

the two sides here

I want to be able to pick my gender even though everyone gets called he anyway
I don't want people to be called they all the time because genders give me immersion

both sides are bad
just add an option for non gender specific pronouns and badaba badaboom no problem for you
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Brilliand » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:47 pm

Helicooler wrote:just add an option for non gender specific pronouns and badaba badaboom no problem for you

You mean add an option to show non-gender-specific pronouns to the person who set the option, sort of like how the chat filter works?

That definitely sounds like a compromise, in that everyone would be a little bit unhappy.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Descender » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:06 am

I would also like to add theres no immersion in tos
what
you ever just be in a town with nate dogg and someone called "wet tissues" and threaten to hang everyone in the town in order to find out what their occupation is
very immersive
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby KnightHoly » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:22 am

I think people are dramatizing situations so much and taking such serious at all instead of have fun and get over with it
If there is a person who insults/spams somethings to you in order to annoy/threat you at a browser game,just ignore/block them if they continue,report them
That is all you can,I don't think some people are that obsessed with something like that targeting people through a game and abuse them or etc,lmao.
KnightHoly
Jester
Jester

Postby BasicFourLife » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:07 am

i am an inclusion, pls use

dummie/dumb-dumb pronouns when talking to me
RNG is never good for any strategy based game. Please learn the definition of what that means, especially if you're one of the people constantly defending it.

FM / TG: 5 - 10 - 8
BasicFourLife
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby cmitc1 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:01 am

not aware if this is just me, but am I the only one that never calls someone he or she based on their skin, but rather by the name that was chosen?
cmitc1
Arsonist
Arsonist

Postby woahah » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:34 am

cmitc1 wrote:not aware if this is just me, but am I the only one that never calls someone he or she based on their skin, but rather by the name that was chosen?

a few people do that
but most people just use he
its still better than forcing a gender because alot of people would rather the game called them they
woahah
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby OddlesOfNoodles » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:09 pm

Literally just let people pick their own pronouns lmao. If you want to use she/her pronouns, then use she/her pronouns. It's not hurting you if someone else wants to use they/them pronouns, it's not your business what someone else identifies as. If you don't like the they/them pronouns then don't use them and pick the pronouns that you identify with. Ez.
What is the answer to life? That I cannot tell you. (Tis 42).

Favorite Roles:

Vigilante
Blackmailer
Potion Master
Tracker
Lookout
Vampire Hunter

Consigliere
Pirate
Arsonist
Medium
Crusader
Retributionist

Most Common IGN's:

outlook
outlook lookout
Gmail
Yahoo!
nice meme

Favorite Modes:

Classic (on occasion)
All Any/Coven All Any
VIP Mode
OddlesOfNoodles

Postby Brilliand » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:32 pm

OddlesOfNoodles wrote:it's not your business what someone else identifies as.

Sure it is. I want to refer to the truth about someone. Identifying as something you're not is called "lying".
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Flavorable » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:50 am

As I've mentioned in another post: I've talked to the Devs about this subject and they don't feel it's necessary to make any changes at this point in time.

And since this thread is getting out of hand now and people are saying things that have no place here, I will be locking the thread.

Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Feedback