The Gunslinger (Neutral Killing)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

How do you like this roll?

I like it and would like to see it added into ToS
61%
It could use some work/fixing to it to make it more suitable for the game (Explain in comments)
17%
I'm not sure (Explain uncertainty)
6%
I don't think it fits ToS's game-play (Explain why not?)
17%

Total votes : 18

The Gunslinger (Neutral Killing)

Postby scarfves » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:00 pm

The Gunslinger

Summary: Yer' a force to be reckoned with pardner, as you get more powerful the more you know your enemy - YEEHAW!

Lore:
The Godfather was anxious. He sat crosslegged, arms adjusted and welded to his fine leather chair, the window was bolted shut, and the door was perfectly locked, the Basic but rudimentary defense one such crime boss could employ themselves single-handedly while not drunk. He was the last one, there weren't many town citizens left either, but he was the last of the mafia, the criminal empire that silenced people in the night's shadow. He was scared, but swallowed his spit and gulped his spirits down, as he awaited: The Gunslinger. He had heard stories about him, about how he killed the Mayor in one clean shot by shooting him through the walls of his own home where he sat, or how he ricocheted a bullet into a jail cell of one so-optimistic townie who was cleared of their name, all by guessing he'd be the type of guy who wash their hands often. However, it was not the time to reminisce on camp-fire stories, or to fear the dark, now was the time for Life or Death. Now, many hours had passed, the rhythm of the grandfather clock was almost ingrained into his heart like something evil grabbed his pacemaker, and it was soon running up onto his spine and into his head. Out of boredom and relentless tiredness, he stretched just for a brief moment and was about to grab his book from the desk.

*Click* "Hands where I can see them" outed the Gunsman, putting the chamber of his gun to the back of his head.

The Godfather's sleepiness immediately transmogrified itself into fear, fatigue, and failure. How he got in was a mystery, what wasn't was that he was in danger. He had stashed his fabled "Enforcer"- a stainless steel colt detective special revolver with an engraved love line from his consort - in his right pocket, something the Gunslinger was aware of very well. The Gunslinger extracted the treasure from there; "With love, Sally Norris, your one and only" the mercenary repeated. "Y'know, before I blew her brains out, she said that she'd be my one and only." The Godfather's mind went into a rush, it was as though he was extracted and hung upside down near a laughing oh-so-fabled Jester, not as though he was growing insane, but that he won't be sane accepting death. However, our intrepid captive spoke quickly:

"Please, please- spare me... Spare me, and I promise it's all yours."

"What is?" responded the Gunslinger.

"Everything, my regime, my grasp, my influence, my essence as the Mafia can all be yours" granted the words of the Godfather. "Money, fame, infinite riches, your whole galaxy, please; I can promise you that and more. You can make your own laws, own whoever you want, and I'll be by your side without any hesitation, I promise." It was a feeble action, words drifting through the air like smoke through fog but it was the last line of defense the Godfather had. It was his own words that shielded his cowardice, like a Lion's mane that held the scrawny bones of a peckish sheep, but what else could someone up for death in their own pajamas say in this instance that was not a result of guilty karma.

The Godfather had peed his pants a little, you could smell it. The Gunslinger laughed "You think that's what I want? Bwa-ha-ha-ha...ye-he-he-he-HAW!" He was hysterical, this was going to be his biggest game with no meat. "No. There's something else more important to me that I want." he said.

"What is it? I promise you I can give you it." the Godfather shakily said.

"Oh... you're not going to like it, I assure y-"

"Anything, name it, and I promise you it'll be yours to treasure."

"Oh, alright, if you can grant me this"

*Clack-clack-clack* *Cling* The Gunslinger then whispered "I want you to scream at the top of your lungs, crying for mommy."

Stats:
Attack: Varies (Basic on Tier 0 & 1, Powerful on Tier 2, Unstoppable on Tier 3)
Defense: Varies (None on Tier 0, Basic on all other Tiers, Invincible on Tier 3 against your target's)
Priority: 5
Control Immune (Tier 2 & 3 only)
Roleblock Immune (Tier 2 & 3 only)
Detection Immune (Tier 2, 3, & -1 only)
Astral Visitor (Tier 3 only)

Alignment: Neutral Killing

Goal: Rid this one-horse-town of all the scum-sucking vermin - YEEHAW! (Kill everyone who would oppose you).

Abilities: Choose a person and guess what their team, alignment, or role might be on a role-card selection chart, then perform an attack based on your results.

Attributes:
- Depending on your selection, your powers grow on a tier scale for the night.
(Example: If you choose a person and guess they are a member of the Mafia and they are that team, you do a Tier 1 attack. If instead you guess they are Mafia Killing and they are that alignment, you do a Tier 2 attack. If instead you guess they are the Godfather and they are that exact role, you do a Tier 3 attack. However, if you guess they are the Godfather but they are just a regular Mafioso, you do a Tier 0 action. If you don't perform your action for the night, you perform a Tier -1 action. In essence, you have to either be exact in your guess and be rewarded, overshoot your guess and fail as you put yourself in risk, or play it safe and do nothing.)
- The guessing-your-target's-role has a priority of Low-1 (which is not better than a Transporter).
- If your target is transported, the attack is now based off the swapped partner's role instead of the original target, which can change the Tier of the action.
- If you are controlled while not Control Immune, you do a Tier 0 action against the controller's second target.
- If you are jailed, you cannot perform your nightly action.
- If you are pirate-dueled, alongside the duel you may still perform your nightly action. If you are Tier 2 or 3, you may attack your original target due to your Roleblock immunity. However, you can still lose to the duel and die at the same time.

Tiered Actions:

- Tier 0 (Wrong anything): Mark a target. If you mark an already marked target, you will deal a Basic attack to them. If you are interrogated by a Sheriff that night, you will be suspicious.

- Tier 1 (Correct Team): You will deal a Basic attack to your target and gain a Basic defense for the night. If you are interrogated by a Sheriff that night, you will be suspicious.

- Tier 2 (Correct Alignment): You will deal a Powerful attack to your target and gain a Basic defense for the night. You won't appear suspicious to a Sheriff. You cannot be Roleblocked or Controlled for the night.

- Tier 3 (Correct Role): You will deal a Unstoppable Astral attack to your target and gain a Basic defense for the night, but you specifically gain an Invincible defense against any of your target's attacks (except poison). You won't appear suspicious to a Sheriff. You cannot be Roleblocked or Controlled for the night.

- Tier -1 (No action): You will gain a Basic defense for the night. You won't appear suspicious to a Sheriff.

Win Conditions:
- Wins with: Gunslinger
- Wins with: Witch
- Wins with: Survivor
- Wins with: Guardian Angel
- Wins with: Pirate
- Must Kill: Town
- Must Kill: Mafia
- Must Kill: Serial Killer
- Must Kill: Werewolf
- Must Kill: Arsonist
- Must Kill: Coven
- Must Kill: Juggernaut
- Must Kill: Vampire
- Must Kill: Plaguebearer
- Must Kill: Pestilence

Investigative Results:
- Sheriff:
- Tier 0 & 1 (Wrong Anything or Correct Team only): Your target is suspicious or framed!
- Tier 2, 3, & -1 (Correct Alignment & above, or no selection): You cannot find evidence of wrongdoing. Your target is innocent or great at hiding secrets!
- Investigator: Your target is waiting for the perfect moment to strike, Your target could be a Sheriff, Executioner, Werewolf, Poisoner, or Gunslinger.
- Consigilere: Your target is an outlaw who studies their opponents to kill, they must be a Gunslinger.

Game Text:
- Death Reveal from Tier 0 Attack: They succumbed to wounds from a Gunslinger.
- Death Reveal from Tier 1 Attack: They were shot by a Gunslinger.
- Death Reveal from Tier 2 Attack: They were shot numerous times all over by a Gunslinger.
- Death Reveal from Tier 3 Attack: They were shot point-blank in the head by a Gunslinger.
- Target selected at night (Faction only): You have decided to kill XXXXX tonight, predicting they are a member of the XXXXX.
- Target selected at night (Alignment only): You have decided to kill XXXXX tonight, predicting they are a XXXXX affiliated role.
- Target selected at night (Role only): You have decided to kill XXXXX tonight, predicting they are specifically a XXXXX.
- No selection: You have decided to bunker down for tonight.
- Kill confirmation (Tier 0 or 1): You successfully shot your target!
- Kill confirmation (Tier 2): You mercilessly gunned down your target!
- Kill confirmation (Tier 3): With one clean shot to the head, you have ruthlessly killed your target!
- Mark confirmation (Tier 0): You mispredicted your target's habits as an XXXXX and failed to secure a kill, but your next attempt will get them.
- When someone attempted to roleblock or control you and failed (Tier 2 & 3): Someone attempted to dissuade you from your killing, but this one-trick-pony won't fall for it!

The Gunslinger, if added, will present an interesting challenge to all other players in game, as revealing a role could mean certain death to an unstoppable astral attack, even as a Mayor, so think twice before you call out "TP LO". While powerful if they can guess the right roles per target, the Gunslinger can easily be caught with their pants down if careless with their aim. The intention with this role is to strike fear and uncertainty into all players and make them feel like they're up against a big scary monster of a person, like an actual NK should be, but it also requires careful consideration just as much as the Gunslinger themselves. It plays similarly to an Arsonist where you have less KPN than a role like the Serial Killer, but have more protection and distance between being spotted or not. The Invest results were chosen as such because you can use your ability as a pseudo-Sheriff where if you attack someone and get it wrong, you can infer on that information and deduce their actual role, alignment, or team. Sometimes as an NK, you need that leniency to survive the gallows, and other times, claiming a role early for your protection will earn you a grave in this one horse town.

Achievements:
  • Equilibrium: Win 1 game as a Gunslinger.
  • Gun Nut: Win 5 games as a Gunslinger.
  • One-Handed Talent: Win 10 games as a Gunslinger.
  • Desperado: Win 25 games as a Gunslinger.
  • Trigger Happy: Kill four players in a single game with Tier 3 attacks.
  • Wicked Wild: Kill a Town member that had a Town Protective protecting them and survive.
  • Rough Rider: Kill someone while someone attempted to Roleblock you and failed.
  • Six Gunnin: Kill someone that has a Unstoppable Attack with a Tier 3 Attack.
  • In distress: Win the game without missing a shot.
  • Where my hand at?: Kill a Sheriff with a Tier 3 Attack.
  • Remember the Chains: Kill a Town Killing and Town Protective back-to-back within 2 nights.
  • Reload: Get 25 Tier 3 kills (not in a single game).
  • Now you wanna talk: Kill someone that tried to attack you but was blocked by your basic defense.
  • Enemy at the parch: Get a Tier 3 kill at Night 1.
  • Break out ol' Betsy: Kill 10 killing roles with Tier 2 or above attacks (not in a single game).
  • When we rollin': Kill the Plaguebearer before they become Pestilence

CHANGELOG:
Changes to yer fellas suggestions. 2020-03-20
  • Attribute Change: Control Immune + Roleblock Immune Control Immune (Tier 2 & 3 only) + Roleblock Immune (Tier 2 & 3 only)
  • Tier 0 Stat Change: Your attack is a dead miss. If an Investigator or Sheriff investigate you that night, they will know that you're a Gunslinger You will deal a Basic attack to your target. If a Sheriff investigates you that night, they will know that you're a Gunslinger.
  • Tier 2 Stat Change: You will Rampage at a player's house with a Powerful attack. You gain a basic defense for the night. You will deal a Powerful attack to your target and gain a basic defense for the night. + You are Control & Roleblock Immune.
  • Tier 3 Stat Change: You will Rampage at a player's house with a Unstoppable Astral attack. You gain a basic defense for the night. You will deal a Powerful Astral attack and gain a basic defense for the night. + You are Control & Roleblock Immune.
  • Attribute Change: At the start of the game, all players will be alerted that a Gunslinger has entered the town No notification of the Gunslinger's arrival. We're stealthy in this pardner, YEEHAW!
Yeah the whole "Basic attack on tier 0" change was a flunk on my part, Gunslinger shouldn't get lucky shots all the time. 2020-03-20 (Second try)
  • Tier 0 Stat Change: You will deal a Basic attack to your target. Your attack is a dead miss.
  • New Achievements
New update to the Gunslinger. Possibly the last since post doesn't have much traction and TOS hasnt done anything with new roles in a while. 2020-04-07
  • Tier 0 Stat Change: Your attack is a dead miss. Mark a target. If you mark an already marked target, you will deal a Basic attack to them.
  • Tier 3 Stat Change: You will deal a Powerful Astral attack and gain a basic defense for the night. You will deal a Unstoppable attack and gain a basic defense for the night, your attack will roleblock the victim aswell.
Possibly last change to my best role idea: The Gunslinger. I want to edit this post for possibly the last time before I never can edit again and its going to be found years later and implemented I supposed. 2020-07-01
  • Tier 3 Stat Change: You will deal a Unstoppable attack and gain a basic defense for the night, your attack will roleblock the victim aswell. You will deal a Unstoppable Astral attack and gain a basic defense for the night, your attack will roleblock the victim aswell.
No one is ever gonna see this, but I decided to revise one of my old ideas and add more clarity for all the functions. 2022-10-23
  • Tier 3 Stat Change: You will deal a Unstoppable Astral attack and gain a basic defense for the night, your attack will roleblock the victim aswell. You will deal a Unstoppable Astral attack to your target and gain a Basic defense for the night, but you specifically gain an Invincible defense against any of your target's attacks (except poison).
  • Added interactions and clarity when Jailed, Controlled, and Pirated.

In the comments, thoughts?
Last edited by scarfves on Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:31 pm, edited 13 times in total.
yeah, i go by qry on discord; shut up!
18 yr old hottie who got a computer from uni and will abuse it to hearts content hehehehe!

treasured ideas:
Gunslinger
Mafioso Removal + Godfather Rework
Move Plaguebearer from Neutral Chaos to Neutral Killing
Survivor Change
Saboteur
scarfves
Executioner
Executioner

Re: The Gunslinger (Neutral Killing)

Postby Brilliand » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:37 pm

Oh hey, sort of like my Assassin.

Some objections I have to this version:
  • The town really shouldn't get a D1 notification that a particular role exists. They can find out when it first kills, like every other NK.
  • Changing the Sheriff and Investigator results based on whether you guessed right... doesn't seem right to me.
  • The penalties for guessing wrong seems unnecessary to me. Missing a chance to kill is bad enough.
  • Rampage is generally a bad mechanic. I'm guessing this role's Rampage is meant to heavily punish D1 Jailor claims... but that's unnecessary; getting a free kill on the Jailor is enough, you don't need to turn him into a bomb too.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby scarfves » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:13 pm

Brilliand wrote:Oh hey, sort of like my Assassin.

bruh my original name for the gunslinger was originally going to be assassin then i started playing pvz2's wild west world and just grew to love cowboys. YEEERHHHAWWW!!!
Brilliand wrote:The town really shouldn't get a D1 notification that a particular role exists. They can find out when it first kills, like every other NK.

The idea for this is that without a proper confirmation of the NK, a jailor could blindly ask for a TP LO, then immediately get nae nae'd by our Gunslinger, plus a Gunslinger could hold off on shooting anyone until a major key role is revealed, then he could strike, catching everyone off by surprise. Its similar to how Pestilence is announced to arrived, putting the town into a new mindset of finding the Pestilence.
Brilliand wrote:Changing the Sheriff and Investigator results based on whether you guessed right... doesn't seem right to me.

Well the Gunslinger is always detection immune from the sheriff, but I thought there should be even more punishment to the Gunslinger if they either missed a shot, or went for a easy team guess
Brilliand wrote:The penalties for guessing wrong seems unnecessary to me. Missing a chance to kill is bad enough.

Perhaps. The original idea was that the target was marked on Tier 0, and if you mark an already marked target, you deal a basic attack to them, but I then had second thoughts about it since I wanted to mimic the feeling of a Gunslinger duel, and how the Gunslinger would miss a shot during the duel and run away
Brilliand wrote:Rampage is generally a bad mechanic. I'm guessing this role's Rampage is meant to heavily punish D1 Jailor claims... but that's unnecessary; getting a free kill on the Jailor is enough, you don't need to turn him into a bomb too.

I do agree now that rampage might not fit the character of the Gunslinger and overall Town of Salem's gameplay since it can gain too many kills at once. I had in mind that a Tier 2 attack should definitely kill someone, if not the target, meaning it could kill someone protecting them. One idea I currently have is to change Tier 2's attack from Rampaging Powerful to just Unstoppable, however that would mean that it would negate the Doctor/Potion Master, Bodyguard, Crusader, Jailor, Trapper, and Guardian Angel, which I believe should still save someone at Tier 2 and below, but perhaps not for Tier 3, however that depends how likely it is to correctly guess someone's team and alignment. For Tier 3, I was thinking instead of Rampaging Unstoppable Astral Attack, it would be a Unstoppable Astral Attack with a priority of 1, not exactly killing anyone who visits, but possibly negating their purpose in the first place.

I will change and edit the Gunslinger later to make it more balanced and suitable for town of salem, but I'm holding back on any changes so far to get more opinions/comments later about what exactly defines the Gunslinger and what are some agreed upon requests/patches.
18 yr old hottie who got a computer from uni and will abuse it to hearts content hehehehe!

treasured ideas:
Gunslinger
Survivor Change
Saboteur
scarfves
Executioner
Executioner

Postby DragonClaw66 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:22 am

I actually really like this role. Weak in the hands of a clueless player, strong in the hands of one who knows what they are doing. It's still a cool concept, but they are still some things you should probably change.

It has permanent roleblock and control immunity.

In my opinion, these powerful attributes should be something you should earn. They'd be good rewards for the players at higher tiers.

It can be killed with a basic attack (tier 0 is pretty bad in general).

Sure, the player actually has to incorrectly guess information about the target, but the lack of a kill is still a huge setback. Also remove the counterattack part and the ability for the Investigator to immediately find them at tier 0.

It alerts the Town of the presence of the role.

This is completely unnecessary. I get that you want this part so that the role cannot completely obliterate a single person when they reveal their role (particularly Jailor), but it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Remove the notification... and maybe nerf its unstoppable attack at tier 3 to powerful? It ensures a strong attack, but this way Town Protective roles can still defend revealed players.

It can benefit off of doing nothing.

I don't like tier -1. Its benefits should be earned from guessing information correctly.

It can rampage.

I hate the rampage mechanic. I would try to avoid using this; replace it with something else (for example, take the roleblock and control immunity and make them tier effects).
DragonClaw66
Summer 2019 Winner
Summer 2019 Winner

Postby Brilliand » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:53 am

scarfves wrote:
Brilliand wrote:The town really shouldn't get a D1 notification that a particular role exists. They can find out when it first kills, like every other NK.

The idea for this is that without a proper confirmation of the NK, a jailor could blindly ask for a TP LO, then immediately get nae nae'd by our Gunslinger, plus a Gunslinger could hold off on shooting anyone until a major key role is revealed, then he could strike, catching everyone off by surprise. Its similar to how Pestilence is announced to arrived, putting the town into a new mindset of finding the Pestilence.

One of the great things about this role is that it makes early Jailor reveals a bad idea. If the Town is unsure at first whether there's a Gunslinger, then the Jailor is deterred from claiming early even in non-Gunslinger games - that's a good thing!

DragonClaw66 wrote:I actually really like this role. Weak in the hands of a clueless player, strong in the hands of one who knows what they are doing. It's still a cool concept, but they are still some things you should probably change.

I wonder what you think of my Assassin role? I don't think you ever commented on that.

DragonClaw66 wrote:It can benefit off of doing nothing.

I don't like tier -1. Its benefits should be earned from guessing information correctly.

I would think of tier -1 as its "default" stats; so rather than tier -1 getting benefits, tier 0 is getting penalties beyond merely "action fails".
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby DragonClaw66 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:27 pm

Brilliand wrote:
DragonClaw66 wrote:I actually really like this role. Weak in the hands of a clueless player, strong in the hands of one who knows what they are doing. It's still a cool concept, but they are still some things you should probably change.

I wonder what you think of my Assassin role? I don't think you ever commented on that.

Your role I like just as much, if not more than this one. Yours requires a lot more deduction on the player’s part and yields a very strong reward for guessing correctly (an unstoppable, astral attack), while scarfves’ lets the player be a little safer. I’d say combining both would create the perfect version (create weak rewards for correctly guessing things like faction and role type, but grant extreme power when the role is correctly guessed).
DragonClaw66
Summer 2019 Winner
Summer 2019 Winner

Postby scarfves » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:28 am

CHANGELOG:
Changes to yer fellas suggestions. 2020-03-20
  • Attribute Change: Control Immune + Roleblock Immune Control Immune (Tier 2 & 3 only) + Roleblock Immune (Tier 2 & 3 only)
  • Tier 0 Stat Change: Your attack is a dead miss. If an Investigator or Sheriff investigate you that night, they will know that you're a Gunslinger You will deal a Basic attack to your target. If a Sheriff investigates you that night, they will know that you're a Gunslinger.
  • Tier 2 Stat Change: You will Rampage at a player's house with a Powerful attack. You gain a basic defense for the night. You will deal a Powerful attack to your target and gain a basic defense for the night. + You are Control & Roleblock Immune.
  • Tier 3 Stat Change: You will Rampage at a player's house with a Unstoppable Astral attack. You gain a basic defense for the night. You will deal a Powerful Astral attack and gain a basic defense for the night. + You are Control & Roleblock Immune.
  • Attribute Change: At the start of the game, all players will be alerted that a Gunslinger has entered the town No notification of the Gunslinger's arrival. We're stealthy in this pardner, YEEHAW!

DragonClaw66 wrote:
Brilliand wrote:

Your role I like just as much, if not more than this one. Yours requires a lot more deduction on the player’s part and yields a very strong reward for guessing correctly (an unstoppable, astral attack), while scarfves’ lets the player be a little safer. I’d say combining both would create the perfect version (create weak rewards for correctly guessing things like faction and role type, but grant extreme power when the role is correctly guessed).

In truth I hope Town of Salem will add some role that allows you to gain benefits based on guessing the correction faction/team/role, and possibly another role that allows for much more intelligent plays on the NK side, so I combined the two. I still think Tier -1 is ok since its meant to be a safe spot as if the Gunslinger doesn't want to make a wrong guess and risk their defense, and I gave Tier 0 a basic attack, but not their defense, to make them similar to a Mafioso and differentiate the two tiers. I was thinking that possibly the Gunslinger should attack role blockers on higher tiers, but then we'd run into another SK argument, so he's just RB and control immune on Tier 2 and 3 only, and technically Tier -1 since the Cowboy wasn't doing anything that night. Overall, I feel that the changes suggested work well with our Rootin Tootin Wild West Shootin Cowboy

treasured ideas:
Gunslinger
Survivor Change
Saboteur
scarfves
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Brilliand » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:58 pm

I don't think it's a good idea to let the Gunslinger perform an attack at tier 0 (when he guesses wrong). If he's easily able to get an attack off every night in the base case where no one visits him and no one protects his target, then he plays petty much like a Serial Killer, just with some minor perks if he guesses someone's role.

By complaining that tier 0 penalizes the Gunslinger too much, I meant that every penalty except the missed attack should be removed. Make tier 0 turn out exactly the same as tier -1, imo (except that you can be seen visiting by a Lookout or Tracker).
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby DragonClaw66 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:30 pm

Brilliand wrote:I don't think it's a good idea to let the Gunslinger perform an attack at tier 0 (when he guesses wrong). If he's easily able to get an attack off every night in the base case where no one visits him and no one protects his target, then he plays petty much like a Serial Killer, just with some minor perks if he guesses someone's role.

By complaining that tier 0 penalizes the Gunslinger too much, I meant that every penalty except the missed attack should be removed. Make tier 0 turn out exactly the same as tier -1, imo (except that you can be seen visiting by a Lookout or Tracker).

I agree with this. Allowing the role to attack even when a guess is incorrect almost makes it a better Serial Killer (the only difference being that it doesn't have basic defense). I like all the other changes, though. Good job.
DragonClaw66
Summer 2019 Winner
Summer 2019 Winner

Postby scarfves » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:05 pm

Yeah the whole "Basic attack on tier 0" change was a flunk on my part, Gunslinger shouldn't get lucky shots all the time. 2020-03-20 (Second try)
  • Tier 0 Stat Change: You will deal a Basic attack to your target. Your attack is a dead miss.
  • New Achievements

But I was thinking, on a Tier 3 attack, should the Gunslinger have the capability to roleblock someone before shooting them? This would affect much more serious roles that wait before they pull off a major play, such as Jailor, Retributionist, or the Arsonist, or would roleblocking a target on a Tier 3 attack be too much?

treasured ideas:
Gunslinger
Survivor Change
Saboteur
scarfves
Executioner
Executioner

Postby CrimsonKatana » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:23 pm

Idk sounds too much like a vigilante too me
There really was no light in my room and I really couldn't see my keyboard
CrimsonKatana
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Brilliand » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:53 pm

scarfves wrote:But I was thinking, on a Tier 3 attack, should the Gunslinger have the capability to roleblock someone before shooting them? This would affect much more serious roles that wait before they pull off a major play, such as Jailor, Retributionist, or the Arsonist, or would roleblocking a target on a Tier 3 attack be too much?

Too much power? Definitely not. Roleblocking is well within the level of power that Tier 3 should have.

But my concern is... roleblocking someone isn't always a plus. If the Gunslinger is going for a Jailor or a Vigilante, it's more likely that he wants to not roleblock that person, because by doing so he might save someone else's life. The only role that the Gunslinger would definitely want to roleblock is the Retributionist.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby scarfves » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:16 pm

CrimsonKatana wrote:Idk sounds too much like a vigilante too me

Well the idea of the Vigilante and Gunslinger are similar, a ruthless sharpshooter who has to ensure that they have their right target in sights and have to be careful and aware of their surroundings before they go all trigger happy. Both of them use a similar amount of precaution and exercise before they can start hitting shots that matter. The NK alignment need a role that's more than just "haha click on target and kill bad men who have power" that isn't a slow and uneventful arsonist, and the only independent role that really follows a new tradition and strategy to their archetype is the plaguebearer but that isnt even a NK.

treasured ideas:
Gunslinger
Survivor Change
Saboteur
scarfves
Executioner
Executioner

Postby OreCreeper » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:15 pm

Really, what's the difference between a powerful and basic attack? Well, for a powerful attack, you can kill the Godfather and Executioner/Witch (in Ranked). That doesn't really seem that useful, does it? There's really no reason why a Neutral Killing should be attacking NE, and although being able to kill GF is kind of useful, the main goal of NKs are to kill Town. Powerful attack is really not that rewarding in that respect. Every TP role provides Powerful defense, rendering a Powerful attack meaningless against confirmed roles. The Jailor meta is still going to happen, this is basically just a weaker SK.
OreCreeper
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby scarfves » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:09 pm

OreCreeper wrote:Really, what's the difference between a powerful and basic attack? Well, for a powerful attack, you can kill the Godfather and Executioner/Witch (in Ranked). That doesn't really seem that useful, does it? There's really no reason why a Neutral Killing should be attacking NE, and although being able to kill GF is kind of useful, the main goal of NKs are to kill Town. Powerful attack is really not that rewarding in that respect. Every TP role provides Powerful defense, rendering a Powerful attack meaningless against confirmed roles. The Jailor meta is still going to happen, this is basically just a weaker SK.

That is true, the only real target would be a Godfather or a vesting Bodyguard in a ranked game, but those plays can still matter. Comparing a SK to a Godfather: The Godfather has detection immunity, 3 mafia members protecting him, and not killing anyone who roleblocks him (which I consider to be a bad thing since it immediately makes you a prime suspect when you kill the role blocker), and most of the time, the Godfather makes it out alive faster than the SK due to these bonuses, making him more potent. Plus, if you aim for what you believe to be Mafioso and select Mafia Killing, you could potentially hit the godfather and bag him early. Otherwise, it makes more of a situational upside to get the right alignment, which only comes well into play in custom modes. I am thinking of making a change, one idea is to roleblock the target on a Tier 2 and Tier 3 attack as to stall the major role. What do you think?

treasured ideas:
Gunslinger
Survivor Change
Saboteur
scarfves
Executioner
Executioner

Postby scarfves » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:49 pm

New update to the Gunslinger. Possibly the last since post doesn't have much traction and TOS hasnt done anything with new roles in a while. 2020-04-07
  • Tier 0 Stat Change: Your attack is a dead miss. Mark a target. If you mark an already marked target, you will deal a Basic attack to them.
  • Tier 3 Stat Change: You will deal a Powerful Astral attack and gain a basic defense for the night. You will deal a Unstoppable attack and gain a basic defense for the night, your attack will roleblock the victim aswell.

treasured ideas:
Gunslinger
Survivor Change
Saboteur
scarfves
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Brilliand » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:06 pm

scarfves wrote:

No longer astral? The Astral part seemed pretty important to me (to avoid the Lookout).
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby scarfves » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:30 pm

Possibly last change to my best role idea: The Gunslinger. I want to edit this post for possibly the last time before I never can edit again and its going to be found years later and implemented I supposed. 2020-07-01
  • Tier 3 Stat Change: You will deal a Unstoppable attack and gain a basic defense for the night, your attack will roleblock the victim aswell. You will deal a Unstoppable Astral attack and gain a basic defense for the night, your attack will roleblock the victim aswell.

treasured ideas:
Gunslinger
Survivor Change
Saboteur
scarfves
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Brilliand » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:10 am

Okay it took me a while to come around, but it's actually kind of awesome that this role can roleblock Pestilence with no repercussions.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby JacksonVirgo » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:59 am

Holy shit I love this idea, I think Brilliand made a role a bit ago where you need to guess a player's role and you kill them which I loved but if you're wrong you get their role for a solid 0.5KPN but this is better imo. Sorry Brilliand lol

For simplicity I would rather Brilliands but for fun I'd love this role over theirs.
/support
Pronouns - They/Them

On-site FM Record: 11-0-11
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: VFM75 - Citizen - Win
Latest Scum Game: SFM79 - Coroner - Win
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 02.12.20 AEST
JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby JacksonVirgo » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:01 am

But in combination with a witch this would be powerful as hooooly shit
Pronouns - They/Them

On-site FM Record: 11-0-11
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: VFM75 - Citizen - Win
Latest Scum Game: SFM79 - Coroner - Win
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 02.12.20 AEST
JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby scarfves » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:08 am

Brilliand wrote:Okay it took me a while to come around, but it's actually kind of awesome that this role can roleblock Pestilence with no repercussions.

Pestilence can't be roleblocked, Pestilence has invincible defense (ie cannot die at night whatsoever, even if new attacks were to be added), and Pestilence attacks all who visit him.

treasured ideas:
Gunslinger
Survivor Change
Saboteur
scarfves
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Brilliand » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:59 am

scarfves wrote:Pestilence can't be roleblocked

Oh... I wonder why I never noticed that.

scarfves wrote:Pestilence attacks all who visit him.

Not astral visits!
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby scarfves » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:10 am

Brilliand wrote:
scarfves wrote:Pestilence attacks all who visit him.

Not astral visits!

Huh... also sorry for such a late reply. Busy with school n' all.

treasured ideas:
Gunslinger
Survivor Change
Saboteur
scarfves
Executioner
Executioner

Postby TheFluffyWaffleV2 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:15 pm

WOOOO COWBOY ROLE
LOVE IT JUST BECAUSE

but fix the win with and stuff. It doesn’t win with GAs and Pirates, it may spare them
Last edited by TheFluffyWaffleV2 on Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Goop God
Spoiler:

jumpscare
TheFluffyWaffleV2
Retributionist
Retributionist

Next

Return to Role Ideas