Actor (Mafia Deception) Role Idea

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Actor (Mafia Deception) Role Idea

Postby NightTwoMedium » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:42 pm

Name: Actor   Alignment:  Mafia Deception

Small Lore: The Actor worked as an entertainer for the masses,however was shunned by most people,"He's foolish and idiotic" they said whispering to each other, but what lies underneath the Actor's mask is something far worse than what they could've imagined,The Actor was involved in tons of dirty work, from gambling to murder, with his quick-wittted mind and sharp thinking he was able to convince his suspectors and his opponents leaving them confused and insane. 

The Consigliere after knowing his real form, was disgusted at the sight of the Actor and decided to shun him aswell,but what the Consigliere found as revolting, is what the Godfather saw as opportunity.

The Godfather decided to confront the Actor and he recruited him for his own dirty work

Introduction: You are someone who has dramatic flair and is able to adapt to convince your prey

Attack: None

Defense: None

Unique Role: No

Priority: 3

Abilities: 

During the Night you may hide your target and gain their attributes
During the Day you will appear as their player name 

Attributes:

You may only perform your ability 2 times per game
Standard mafia stuff, you may talk with the mafia at night etc
You may target your own mafia
You will know what actions the hidden player did during the day
Mechanics:

(How The Hiding Works)

Hiding conceals the target, they will appear to be fine but in reality their chat messages,whispers,and votes are hidden 

They can still see the message board 

You won't see the Actor's messages if you are the one hidden

If the hidden target's name gets lynched you will instead be the one who dies

(To put it in more simplier terms you are basically switched , Lets say you hid Player X,You act as Player X the next day speaking as them to everyone,if the Player X name gets pushed that is you being pushed and on trial and is speaking as Player X){If it's still confusing then..here is an example}

Huggy-(Hidden Sheriff) You-(Actor) Everyone else-(Extra)

Huggy:(You) Hey I found this guy as sus

Everyone else: They might be an Actor

Huggy has been pushed up

Huggy:(You) I ain't an Actor 

Huggy:(You) Im really real

14 guilties 0 innocents

The Actor(You) died while the real one is alive

If your original name gets pushed you still die

Players will be unhidden the next night

(If it gets too similar to old disguiser let me know) 

(How the stealing of attributes work)

You don't steal their defense and attack power but rather some of their immunity and gain it for that night and the next night

Examples of stolen attributes: Can only be seen as suspicious on Werewolf nights, Unroleblockable,Temporary shield that gets destroyed on the first attack,etc which mostly comes from Non-Town Aligned roles(Town's natural detection immunity does not count)

You can only steal the attributes once per player(If you didn't get it then, it means that you can't keep getting the same attributes from the same player over and over again"
(Other)

You will know what actions the hidden player did during the day-(This means that you will know who they have voted and what they would've had spoken)

During acting, you cannot vote however you may fake the vote as the hidden player, it will not count as a vote which could lead to a potential push.(If you need more explanation then ask away)

During acting, you may only speak as yourself when your own name gets pushed up on trial,your target is still hidden though and will appear to vote 
Discussion:

How does this not replace other similar deceptionists such as Hypnotist and Disguiser

While it's more consistent and the time that it takes to full decieve the Town is lesser, It's much more riskier and limited, Both the Hypnotist and Disguiser have unlimited uses and is less riskier, since while they may be easily found, they will still likely won't die early and will count as an extra vote for the Mafia which is monumental..Sometimes you will still need the information about your target's role just incase

What are the strategies you can do with this

If you know about a trustworthy town or a TI, you could act as them to try and lynch another town members giving evils 1 less person to deal with or prevent a mafia member from dying by saying that they're probably innocent

If the mafia member somehow survives or doesn't get lynched/pushed , you could act as the accuser and say that you were hidden by an Actor and that the accusation was false, then you post something fake instead that might start a lynch on an another player which is likely Town

If you feel that you are going to be investigated by a Sheriff, you could borrow the Godfather's detection immunity while also fooling spies with a mindset of Visited by mafia=Likely Town

How is this counterplayed
You could counterplay this by scumreading, such as finding things that are supposed to impossible such as the target being jailed(Jailor),visited the wrong targetLookout and Tracker), visited by a mafia member(Spy), or just general scumreading by checking if he feels different on the way he acts and talks.

If the Actor's target was transed(Transporter) then you could possibly call out the Actor by making him think that he successfully hid his target and then he post his original target's name which then he dies because of a tiny mistake

You could also put in your Last Will that says that you were hidden by an Actor and the accusation was false which could clear up some misconceptions(though the Actor may have asked the Forger to forge the will adding that for maximum deception)

What is the original concept and why?

This is a look into the Pre-Disguiser Rework,I absolutely loved the idea but it was too chaotic and is  easily bypassed by just placing your name in your Last Will, So I tried to create something similar to it,I turned into a day ability with a mix of a little of Blackmailer mechanics and some tweaks.I've never played the Pre-Disguiser Rework but i've seen some videos about it

What is the goal of creating this when we have other roles that might fill this

The Goal is to prevent/delay the death of more Mafia because of some of the NE's things such as being found early or being unsuccessful to achieve the role's goal (Which is to harm the town enough) since without NE roles such as Exe and Jester there isn't much that is stopping a Town Investigative from trying to lynch you, while bringing suspicion to others 

Wait doesn't that mean if you were lynched acting, you would switch names?

Well no, but here is what I petition to happen,when you were pushed while acting and was voted guilty enough for a lynch, there will be a message saying "The Actor has been found!" which will make the current body on the stand to come down and force your real name and body to the stand which will then perform the lynch animation and then you die

Investigative Results-

Sheriff: Your target is suspicious (Having no detection immunity attribute)

Investigator:Doctor/Disguiser/Serial Killer/Potion Master/Actor

Consigliere/Witch: Your target's job is to impersonate someone and does it skillfully. They must be an Actor!

Goals: Same as Mafia

Wins With: Same as Mafia

Must Kill: Same as Mafia
NightTwoMedium

Re: Actor (Mafia Deception) Role Idea

Postby JacksonVirgo » Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:18 am

Same issues as the old disguiser regarding reports
Pronouns - They/Them

On-site FM Record: 11-0-11
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: VFM75 - Citizen - Win
Latest Scum Game: SFM79 - Coroner - Win
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 02.12.20 AEST
JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby NightTwoMedium » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:17 am

JacksonVirgo wrote:Same issues as the old disguiser regarding reports

What if it announced at the end/start of the day that there was someone that got "possessed" by an Actor it would clear it up but could take away some of it's effectiveness.The current disguiser report interaction works as this imo,You can report him for being "afk" but it won't count since it's a way of helping the mafia(If Disguised),I don't know about coding but the idea is that to get the system to recognize that there was an action the Actor made on the reported player which then the system recognizes the person as the Actor and not the real player.I guess that's the only way this role to be potentially added since it might not currently work with the current mechanics,other than that

Do you think that the idea is balanced enough and/or doesn't entirely replace the whole Mafia Deception?
NightTwoMedium

Postby NightTwoMedium » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:24 am

AtomicWheeze wrote:Well, this is a bit confusing. From what I’m seeing this seems to overshadow the Disguiser

Im sorry if it is a bit confusing as that is to be expected since English wasn't my first language and my grammar isn't as good as others so pardon me

What is that you are confused about? The role's ability? The stealing mechanic? or both? etc?

I wanted it to be more of a sidegrade,
The way I see how this two roles compare was that
The Actor has more of a High Risk High Reward playstyle that also has a higher chance of dying due to how it's ability works than Disguiser while Disguiser has a passive-aggressive type of playstyle that has a lesser chance of dying early than the Actor.

Both are the same in terms of structure and goal only difference is that Disguiser gives doubt to the accuser by being the accused while Actor gives doubt to the accused by being the accuser
NightTwoMedium

Postby Brilliand » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:53 pm

NightTwoMedium wrote:The Actor has more of a High Risk High Reward playstyle that also has a higher chance of dying due to how it's ability works than Disguiser while Disguiser has a passive-aggressive type of playstyle that has a lesser chance of dying early than the Actor.

But the Disguiser needs to die to get the main benefit of its ability, so a "high risk high reward" Disguiser is a straight improvement.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby NightTwoMedium » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:55 am

Brilliand wrote:
NightTwoMedium wrote:The Actor has more of a High Risk High Reward playstyle that also has a higher chance of dying due to how it's ability works than Disguiser while Disguiser has a passive-aggressive type of playstyle that has a lesser chance of dying early than the Actor.

But the Disguiser needs to die to get the main benefit of its ability, so a "high risk high reward" Disguiser is a straight improvement.

I usually think of the Disguiser as a sort of Hypnotist, you confuse the Investigator by disguising as a Town/Neutral role close to the invest result that you want to claim , visit a TP/LO target then disguise as the TP ,and actively participate in the Town, making you survive longer than most Mafia by making yourself less susp, the disguise part is a bonus in case the situation calls for it, having 1 more Mafia alive could mean a win or a loss , while the Actor doesn't need to die for his "goal", he has limited uses, and if played incorrectly you could easily lose 1 Mafia early in the game which could've been avoided, he is also required to perform his ability otherwise he's just a sitting duck for the Mafia with not much ways to have a believable claim not to mention he is also vulnerable while performing his ability as he cannot defend himself in the middle of a push for his real name, which tends to be a guilty lynch.
NightTwoMedium

Return to Role Ideas