Option To Report Multiple Users For The Same Reason At Once

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Option To Report Multiple Users For The Same Reason At Once

Postby ShylokVakarian » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:21 pm

delet
Last edited by ShylokVakarian on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShylokVakarian
Benefactor
Benefactor
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Option To Report Multiple Users For The Same Reason At O

Postby Google » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:37 pm

id say no, because report info needs to be filled out and copying it over may create confusion

times change, wounds heal
but hurt remains, scabs peal
when I'm finally gone, finally free
I'll be the girl I've wanted to be
User avatar
Google
Forger
Forger
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:44 pm
Location: dance time (+-0)

Re: Option To Report Multiple Users For The Same Reason At O

Postby Flavorable » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:53 pm

Google wrote:id say no, because report info needs to be filled out and copying it over may create confusion

This, indeed.

And as a side-note. Leaving is not reportable, unless it is done so intentionally (i.e. "screw this, I'm out bye" x has left the game.).
Steam ToS Moderator and Bug Report buttinsky.
Image
User avatar
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3686
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:24 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Option To Report Multiple Users For The Same Reason At O

Postby ShylokVakarian » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:39 pm

delet
Last edited by ShylokVakarian on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShylokVakarian
Benefactor
Benefactor
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Option To Report Multiple Users For The Same Reason At O

Postby kyuss420 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:52 am

write out the report details in your will, copy n paste, problem solved
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
User avatar
kyuss420
Mayor
Mayor
 
Posts: 835
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:33 am
Location: Im here

Re: Option To Report Multiple Users For The Same Reason At O

Postby Flavorable » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:22 am

ShylokVakarian wrote:
Google wrote:id say no, because report info needs to be filled out and copying it over may create confusion


Flavorable wrote:
Google wrote:id say no, because report info needs to be filled out and copying it over may create confusion

This, indeed.

And as a side-note. Leaving is not reportable, unless it is done so intentionally (i.e. "screw this, I'm out bye" x has left the game.).


Okay, what the fuck, people? I suggest maybe splitting up themers and non-themers because they don't play nice with each other, and people go "Better to just report them under harassment, but people aren't usually willing to do that because it's so fucking tedious to report them all". Okay, fair enough, so I suggest making it easier to report multiple people to combat this, and you people are like "No, because confusion with the written part". How about some USEFUL constructive criticism? Like "Maybe we could try this instead", and not just "No, and that's final".

Work with me here, be a solution to the problem, and not an obstacle.

"Oh, but it's not a problem because I've never seen themers brigade against non-themers." Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Look, I'm sorry if I'm being an asshole right now, but this is a legitimate problem. I have been harassed MULTIPLE times by entire crowds of people for being a furry, and the same for being gay. Don't say that that isn't a problem.


Okay, let's handle this step by step:

1) I don't support the suggestion, because it has more drawbacks than it does benefits (easier report abuse, people reporting other rulebreaks all under one category, clogging up the trial system and creating unnecessary extra work, etc etc).

2) There's no reason to get snippy for people not supporting your suggestions and there is no need for anyone to have to give you an explanation. Regardless, both myself and Google gave a reason, you don't have to like it or find it "useful criticism", but it's our opinion. And just as we respect you for yours, it'd be expected that you respect other people's as well.

3) "Work with me here, be a solution to the problem, not an obstacle." What problem is it though? The problem of having to wait in a lobby after the game a bit longer, because you have to send multiple reports? To me, personally, that isn't really a big problem that everyone runs into, so personally, I don't feel it needs a solution.

4) Not sure where the harassment because you're a furry or gay comment came from, but that has absolutely nothing to do with your suggestion. Of course being harassed for who you are is against the rules, this is why it's reportable. But you also have to keep in mind that using it as an excuse to act like (and these are your own words here) "an asshole", or to throw at people when they disagree with you, is also distasteful.

So in short: Suggestions are just that, suggestions. People can agree, people can disagree. No one is outright turning you down, we're all just giving our opinion. No one is doing it to attack you, harass you, or to be an obstacle. Sometimes suggestions just don't work or aren't considered all that good to other people, this is a possibility you have to keep in mind when you post a suggestion.
Last edited by Flavorable on Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling.
Steam ToS Moderator and Bug Report buttinsky.
Image
User avatar
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3686
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:24 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Option To Report Multiple Users For The Same Reason At O

Postby ShylokVakarian » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:46 am

delet
Last edited by ShylokVakarian on Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShylokVakarian
Benefactor
Benefactor
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Option To Report Multiple Users For The Same Reason At O

Postby KatiyaKramer » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:15 pm

ShylokVakarian wrote:
Flavorable wrote:
ShylokVakarian wrote:
Google wrote:id say no, because report info needs to be filled out and copying it over may create confusion


Flavorable wrote:
Google wrote:id say no, because report info needs to be filled out and copying it over may create confusion

This, indeed.

And as a side-note. Leaving is not reportable, unless it is done so intentionally (i.e. "screw this, I'm out bye" x has left the game.).


Okay, what the fuck, people? I suggest maybe splitting up themers and non-themers because they don't play nice with each other, and people go "Better to just report them under harassment, but people aren't usually willing to do that because it's so fucking tedious to report them all". Okay, fair enough, so I suggest making it easier to report multiple people to combat this, and you people are like "No, because confusion with the written part". How about some USEFUL constructive criticism? Like "Maybe we could try this instead", and not just "No, and that's final".

Work with me here, be a solution to the problem, and not an obstacle.

"Oh, but it's not a problem because I've never seen themers brigade against non-themers." Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Look, I'm sorry if I'm being an asshole right now, but this is a legitimate problem. I have been harassed MULTIPLE times by entire crowds of people for being a furry, and the same for being gay. Don't say that that isn't a problem.


Okay, let's handle this step by step:

1) I don't support the suggestion, because it has more drawbacks than it does benefits (easier report abuse, people reporting other rulebreaks all under one category, clogging up the trial system and creating unnecessary extra work, etc etc).

2) There's no reason to get snippy for people not supporting your suggestions and there is no need for anyone to have to give you an explanation. Regardless, both myself and Google gave a reason, you don't have to like it or find it "useful criticism", but it's our opinion. And just as we respect you for yours, it'd be expected that you respect other people's as well.

3) "Work with me here, be a solution to the problem, not an obstacle." What problem is it though? The problem of having to wait in a lobby after the game a bit longer, because you have to send multiple reports? To me, personally, that isn't really a big problem that everyone runs into, so personally, I don't feel it needs a solution.

4) Not sure where the harassment because you're a furry or gay comment came from, but that has absolutely nothing to do with your suggestion. Of course being harassed for who you are is against the rules, this is why it's reportable. But you also have to keep in mind that using it as an excuse to act like (and these are your own words here) "an asshole", or to throw at people when they disagree with you, is also distasteful.

So in short: Suggestions are just that, suggestions. People can agree, people can disagree. No one is outright turning you down, we're all just giving our opinion. No one is doing it to attack you, harass you, or to be an obstacle. Sometimes suggestions just don't work or aren't considered all that good to other people, this is a possibility you have to keep in mind when you post a suggestion.


Okay, here's a suggestion that I KNOW people can get behind: Make so you don't have to scroll through the drop-down list for the reason. Just have it all show up unless it would run off the screen (Highly unlikely). That would make it at LEAST a little bit easier to fill out multiple reports. And/or an option in the menu for the drop-down to default to the last reason selected when opening up the report window. That also helps, so I don't have to select the same reason every time.

Judging from the last time I filed a report, having the drop down list be scrollable is nice because it doesn't obscure too much of my screen. And this is such a minor thing to get nitpicky about in all honesty. There are much many more things about the game that need attention not the idea that idea that one can't be bothered to make 2 extra clicks to file reports. :Shrug:
Favorite roles: Jester, Witch, Consig, Veteran, Vampire Hunter, Jailor, Lookout, aannnndddd sometimes vampire.
Least favorite roles: Medium and Survivor

Image
All hail Shelbow
User avatar
KatiyaKramer
St. Patrick's 2019 Winner
St. Patrick's 2019 Winner
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:51 am

Re: Option To Report Multiple Users For The Same Reason At O

Postby ShylokVakarian » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:48 am

KatiyaKramer wrote:
ShylokVakarian wrote:
Flavorable wrote:
ShylokVakarian wrote:
Google wrote:id say no, because report info needs to be filled out and copying it over may create confusion


Flavorable wrote:
Google wrote:id say no, because report info needs to be filled out and copying it over may create confusion

This, indeed.

And as a side-note. Leaving is not reportable, unless it is done so intentionally (i.e. "screw this, I'm out bye" x has left the game.).


Okay, what the fuck, people? I suggest maybe splitting up themers and non-themers because they don't play nice with each other, and people go "Better to just report them under harassment, but people aren't usually willing to do that because it's so fucking tedious to report them all". Okay, fair enough, so I suggest making it easier to report multiple people to combat this, and you people are like "No, because confusion with the written part". How about some USEFUL constructive criticism? Like "Maybe we could try this instead", and not just "No, and that's final".

Work with me here, be a solution to the problem, and not an obstacle.

"Oh, but it's not a problem because I've never seen themers brigade against non-themers." Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Look, I'm sorry if I'm being an asshole right now, but this is a legitimate problem. I have been harassed MULTIPLE times by entire crowds of people for being a furry, and the same for being gay. Don't say that that isn't a problem.


Okay, let's handle this step by step:

1) I don't support the suggestion, because it has more drawbacks than it does benefits (easier report abuse, people reporting other rulebreaks all under one category, clogging up the trial system and creating unnecessary extra work, etc etc).

2) There's no reason to get snippy for people not supporting your suggestions and there is no need for anyone to have to give you an explanation. Regardless, both myself and Google gave a reason, you don't have to like it or find it "useful criticism", but it's our opinion. And just as we respect you for yours, it'd be expected that you respect other people's as well.

3) "Work with me here, be a solution to the problem, not an obstacle." What problem is it though? The problem of having to wait in a lobby after the game a bit longer, because you have to send multiple reports? To me, personally, that isn't really a big problem that everyone runs into, so personally, I don't feel it needs a solution.

4) Not sure where the harassment because you're a furry or gay comment came from, but that has absolutely nothing to do with your suggestion. Of course being harassed for who you are is against the rules, this is why it's reportable. But you also have to keep in mind that using it as an excuse to act like (and these are your own words here) "an asshole", or to throw at people when they disagree with you, is also distasteful.

So in short: Suggestions are just that, suggestions. People can agree, people can disagree. No one is outright turning you down, we're all just giving our opinion. No one is doing it to attack you, harass you, or to be an obstacle. Sometimes suggestions just don't work or aren't considered all that good to other people, this is a possibility you have to keep in mind when you post a suggestion.


Okay, here's a suggestion that I KNOW people can get behind: Make so you don't have to scroll through the drop-down list for the reason. Just have it all show up unless it would run off the screen (Highly unlikely). That would make it at LEAST a little bit easier to fill out multiple reports. And/or an option in the menu for the drop-down to default to the last reason selected when opening up the report window. That also helps, so I don't have to select the same reason every time.

Judging from the last time I filed a report, having the drop down list be scrollable is nice because it doesn't obscure too much of my screen. And this is such a minor thing to get nitpicky about in all honesty. There are much many more things about the game that need attention not the idea that idea that one can't be bothered to make 2 extra clicks to file reports. :Shrug:


Yup, this is my life: My ideas are 99% of the time shit.

...Now wait just a minute, how small IS your screen? 1080p is standard these days, and it's not that huge on one. I would know, I have one. And nitpicking is what I do, I'm not going to apologize for it. All my ideas thus far have been shot down for one reason or another (some more reasonable reasons than others), that's all I got left. Wouldn't YOU nitpick a piece of art you were commissioning if you were paying $75 for it? Wouldn't you nitpick a $300 tattoo you're getting? Y'know, to make sure you're getting what you want, and not just something that vaguely resembles what you want? Exactly.
ShylokVakarian
Benefactor
Benefactor
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Option To Report Multiple Users For The Same Reason At O

Postby KatiyaKramer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:50 am

ShylokVakarian wrote:
KatiyaKramer wrote:
ShylokVakarian wrote:
Flavorable wrote:
ShylokVakarian wrote:
Google wrote:id say no, because report info needs to be filled out and copying it over may create confusion


Flavorable wrote:
Google wrote:id say no, because report info needs to be filled out and copying it over may create confusion

This, indeed.

And as a side-note. Leaving is not reportable, unless it is done so intentionally (i.e. "screw this, I'm out bye" x has left the game.).


Okay, what the fuck, people? I suggest maybe splitting up themers and non-themers because they don't play nice with each other, and people go "Better to just report them under harassment, but people aren't usually willing to do that because it's so fucking tedious to report them all". Okay, fair enough, so I suggest making it easier to report multiple people to combat this, and you people are like "No, because confusion with the written part". How about some USEFUL constructive criticism? Like "Maybe we could try this instead", and not just "No, and that's final".

Work with me here, be a solution to the problem, and not an obstacle.

"Oh, but it's not a problem because I've never seen themers brigade against non-themers." Doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Look, I'm sorry if I'm being an asshole right now, but this is a legitimate problem. I have been harassed MULTIPLE times by entire crowds of people for being a furry, and the same for being gay. Don't say that that isn't a problem.


Okay, let's handle this step by step:

1) I don't support the suggestion, because it has more drawbacks than it does benefits (easier report abuse, people reporting other rulebreaks all under one category, clogging up the trial system and creating unnecessary extra work, etc etc).

2) There's no reason to get snippy for people not supporting your suggestions and there is no need for anyone to have to give you an explanation. Regardless, both myself and Google gave a reason, you don't have to like it or find it "useful criticism", but it's our opinion. And just as we respect you for yours, it'd be expected that you respect other people's as well.

3) "Work with me here, be a solution to the problem, not an obstacle." What problem is it though? The problem of having to wait in a lobby after the game a bit longer, because you have to send multiple reports? To me, personally, that isn't really a big problem that everyone runs into, so personally, I don't feel it needs a solution.

4) Not sure where the harassment because you're a furry or gay comment came from, but that has absolutely nothing to do with your suggestion. Of course being harassed for who you are is against the rules, this is why it's reportable. But you also have to keep in mind that using it as an excuse to act like (and these are your own words here) "an asshole", or to throw at people when they disagree with you, is also distasteful.

So in short: Suggestions are just that, suggestions. People can agree, people can disagree. No one is outright turning you down, we're all just giving our opinion. No one is doing it to attack you, harass you, or to be an obstacle. Sometimes suggestions just don't work or aren't considered all that good to other people, this is a possibility you have to keep in mind when you post a suggestion.


Okay, here's a suggestion that I KNOW people can get behind: Make so you don't have to scroll through the drop-down list for the reason. Just have it all show up unless it would run off the screen (Highly unlikely). That would make it at LEAST a little bit easier to fill out multiple reports. And/or an option in the menu for the drop-down to default to the last reason selected when opening up the report window. That also helps, so I don't have to select the same reason every time.

Judging from the last time I filed a report, having the drop down list be scrollable is nice because it doesn't obscure too much of my screen. And this is such a minor thing to get nitpicky about in all honesty. There are much many more things about the game that need attention not the idea that idea that one can't be bothered to make 2 extra clicks to file reports. :Shrug:


Yup, this is my life: My ideas are 99% of the time shit.

...Now wait just a minute, how small IS your screen? 1080p is standard these days, and it's not that huge on one. I would know, I have one. And nitpicking is what I do, I'm not going to apologize for it. All my ideas thus far have been shot down for one reason or another (some more reasonable reasons than others), that's all I got left. Wouldn't YOU nitpick a piece of art you were commissioning if you were paying $75 for it? Wouldn't you nitpick a $300 tattoo you're getting? Y'know, to make sure you're getting what you want, and not just something that vaguely resembles what you want? Exactly.

It's not about screen size, it's just personal preference. I do not like my screen to look too messy, which is one of my main complaints about the new Unity design, but that's neither here or there.

That is also a really bad comparison to be nitpicky with the game. Town of Salem is not a $300 game. Town of Salem is not a $75 game. Town of Salem, for most players, is either a $5 game, or it was a free game. Now I know people have put in hundreds of dollars into this game, but that has been for cosmetics or scrolls, not for core game content. The main content of the game was either 5 bucks or free, and it just seems petty to me to get that picky over a game that is that cheap. It is also petty to be saying "You'll be nitpicky over a piece of art or a tattoo" when that is something that is very personal to you. You are not sharing a piece of art or a tattoo with thousands of other people at the same time.

There are just other things in the world to be nitpicky about than a relatively cheap online game over something so trivial as how to report people. I know I have had games where I had to report multiple people at once, but I never once thought "God this is so tedious", no I just shrugged it off and filed every report individually. You can't let the small details annoy you. Nothing is perfect and this game is far from perfection.
Favorite roles: Jester, Witch, Consig, Veteran, Vampire Hunter, Jailor, Lookout, aannnndddd sometimes vampire.
Least favorite roles: Medium and Survivor

Image
All hail Shelbow
User avatar
KatiyaKramer
St. Patrick's 2019 Winner
St. Patrick's 2019 Winner
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:51 am

Re: Option To Report Multiple Users For The Same Reason At O

Postby ShylokVakarian » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:56 pm

KatiyaKramer wrote:It's not about screen size, it's just personal preference. I do not like my screen to look too messy, which is one of my main complaints about the new Unity design, but that's neither here or there.

That is also a really bad comparison to be nitpicky with the game. Town of Salem is not a $300 game. Town of Salem is not a $75 game. Town of Salem, for most players, is either a $5 game, or it was a free game. Now I know people have put in hundreds of dollars into this game, but that has been for cosmetics or scrolls, not for core game content. The main content of the game was either 5 bucks or free, and it just seems petty to me to get that picky over a game that is that cheap. It is also petty to be saying "You'll be nitpicky over a piece of art or a tattoo" when that is something that is very personal to you. You are not sharing a piece of art or a tattoo with thousands of other people at the same time.

There are just other things in the world to be nitpicky about than a relatively cheap online game over something so trivial as how to report people. I know I have had games where I had to report multiple people at once, but I never once thought "God this is so tedious", no I just shrugged it off and filed every report individually. You can't let the small details annoy you. Nothing is perfect and this game is far from perfection.


It's kinda impossible to ignore thousands of small details all simultaneously yelling "KILL THE FURRY!"

Alright, this suggestion should at least stand a chance: Sometimes, people will anonymously throw the game, or anonymously cheat. While it never remains anonymous forever, it certainly can get grating to have to wait around half of or even for the rest of the game just to report someone because you don't know who the [Insert Role Here] is. I've got about three solutions: One that's annoying to use, one that's harder to implement cleanly, and one that's exploitable. Sadly, there's no perfect solution, because all choices (including ignoring the suggestion entirely) have a downside.

-----------------------------------------------------

Option 0. Ignore: Force people to either wait until the person behind the role is revealed, submit a report on anyone and take their chances with the Trial System's dodgy report duplication feature, or leave and let the offender go free.

Option 0.5. Fix The Report Duplication Feature And Add An "I'm Not Sure" Option To The Report Targets List: Self-explanatory. Reporters can just select I'm Not Sure to send a report with no target, and then the trial judges can use the newly-fixed Report Duplication feature to create a report with the real target.

Option 1. Click On Role In Chat: One must open the chat log, find the action or message that highlights the rule violation, click on the name of the role (or other indication), and you can report the person without having to find out who they are. The server, through its own chat log, will cross-reference the message or action, and determine the actual target of the report.

Option 2. Role Drop-Down: In the report window, add roles the game can expect the player to know exist in that game into the target drop-down menu. For example, any set role on the role list can be added, as are any roles that have either been "confirmed" (eg Veteran managed to land a kill, Mayor revealed, Retributionist resurrected someone, any roles in the graveyard, etc.) or have directly interacted with the player in a confirmable way (eg Blackmailer BM'd the player, Transporter trans'd the player, Witch controlled the player, the player investigated them as a Consig, etc. [Escort/Consort CANNOT be confirmed by RB'ing the player, as it is impossible to tell which is which from the player's perspective]). The big problem here is the issue of duplicate roles. We can't let the reporting person know HOW MANY of any given role there are in the game, as it can be exploited, but if there IS multiple of the same role, it can get confusing trying to find the right player. Option 1 has the advantage of taking directly from the chat log, allowing the server to pinpoint the exact player. Option 2 must rely on the trial judges to judge each member of that role individually. Thus, there will be multiple reports filed by this method in these cases. We could always combine Option 0.5 with this method to reduce that, but implementation will always be at least a little bit messy with this option.

Option 3. Give The Player More Information: The player could select an option in the report window (with a warning message to help prevent accidental misclicks from screwing things over) to, in exchange for their ability to use the chat AT ALL, see the true roles of all players, everyone's intended and true actions, etc. This could additionally be an option made available after the game has ended, allowing for a sort of Review Mode where one can review the game and make more reports if they see something suspicious. This option, before the end of the game, is obviously a bit dangerous to allow the players to use, as it opens up opportunity for exploitation via external chat. While I see no possible exploitation opportunities with allowing players to use this mode after the game, I highly doubt it would be allowed to be used while the game is still going.

-----------------------------------------------------

And finally, I take offense to your claims of pettiness. Due to frequent harassment from furry haters and homophobes, and frequent N1, D1, or even N0 leavers (really, though, why else would they be disconnecting that early into the game? I get giving them the benefit of the doubt, but there's only so far that doubt should go), I find myself having to report people in 1 in 3 games (Yes, I'm aware that leaving is not a reportable offense, but it makes me feel better, and it sometimes actually falls under gamethrowing), usually at least 2 people in each instance. Said time spent waiting around for roles to be revealed and/or time spent trying to find/select the right option in the drop-down boxes severely impact my ability to have fun with the game, because it's not time I'm spending enjoying the game or time I'm spending abandoning a game I find terrible and looking for a new one. I WANT to play the game, but people like these make it seem more like a chore, and if there was just some ways to make that chore just a little easier, then maybe I could once again find joy in the game.
ShylokVakarian
Benefactor
Benefactor
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Option To Report Multiple Users For The Same Reason At O

Postby Flavorable » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:26 am

ShylokVakarian wrote:
KatiyaKramer wrote:It's not about screen size, it's just personal preference. I do not like my screen to look too messy, which is one of my main complaints about the new Unity design, but that's neither here or there.

That is also a really bad comparison to be nitpicky with the game. Town of Salem is not a $300 game. Town of Salem is not a $75 game. Town of Salem, for most players, is either a $5 game, or it was a free game. Now I know people have put in hundreds of dollars into this game, but that has been for cosmetics or scrolls, not for core game content. The main content of the game was either 5 bucks or free, and it just seems petty to me to get that picky over a game that is that cheap. It is also petty to be saying "You'll be nitpicky over a piece of art or a tattoo" when that is something that is very personal to you. You are not sharing a piece of art or a tattoo with thousands of other people at the same time.

There are just other things in the world to be nitpicky about than a relatively cheap online game over something so trivial as how to report people. I know I have had games where I had to report multiple people at once, but I never once thought "God this is so tedious", no I just shrugged it off and filed every report individually. You can't let the small details annoy you. Nothing is perfect and this game is far from perfection.


It's kinda impossible to ignore thousands of small details all simultaneously yelling "KILL THE FURRY!"

Alright, this suggestion should at least stand a chance: Sometimes, people will anonymously throw the game, or anonymously cheat. While it never remains anonymous forever, it certainly can get grating to have to wait around half of or even for the rest of the game just to report someone because you don't know who the [Insert Role Here] is. I've got about three solutions: One that's annoying to use, one that's harder to implement cleanly, and one that's exploitable. Sadly, there's no perfect solution, because all choices (including ignoring the suggestion entirely) have a downside.

-----------------------------------------------------

Option 0. Ignore: Force people to either wait until the person behind the role is revealed, submit a report on anyone and take their chances with the Trial System's dodgy report duplication feature, or leave and let the offender go free.

Option 0.5. Fix The Report Duplication Feature And Add An "I'm Not Sure" Option To The Report Targets List: Self-explanatory. Reporters can just select I'm Not Sure to send a report with no target, and then the trial judges can use the newly-fixed Report Duplication feature to create a report with the real target. What's wrong with the current duplication system? Heck, you could even duplicate it on the proper rulebreaker yourself.

Option 1. Click On Role In Chat: One must open the chat log, find the action or message that highlights the rule violation, click on the name of the role (or other indication), and you can report the person without having to find out who they are. The server, through its own chat log, will cross-reference the message or action, and determine the actual target of the report. Won't work when there's multiple people with the same role.

Option 2. Role Drop-Down: In the report window, add roles the game can expect the player to know exist in that game into the target drop-down menu. For example, any set role on the role list can be added, as are any roles that have either been "confirmed" (eg Veteran managed to land a kill, Mayor revealed, Retributionist resurrected someone, any roles in the graveyard, etc.) or have directly interacted with the player in a confirmable way (eg Blackmailer BM'd the player, Transporter trans'd the player, Witch controlled the player, the player investigated them as a Consig, etc. [Escort/Consort CANNOT be confirmed by RB'ing the player, as it is impossible to tell which is which from the player's perspective]). The big problem here is the issue of duplicate roles. We can't let the reporting person know HOW MANY of any given role there are in the game, as it can be exploited, but if there IS multiple of the same role, it can get confusing trying to find the right player. Option 1 has the advantage of taking directly from the chat log, allowing the server to pinpoint the exact player. Option 2 must rely on the trial judges to judge each member of that role individually.(That'll only result in less reports getting handled, because Jurors and Judges have to take even more time with every single report, I'm fairly sure that's not a thing any juror or Judge would want.) Thus, there will be multiple reports filed by this method in these cases. We could always combine Option 0.5 with this method to reduce that, but implementation will always be at least a little bit messy with this option.

Option 3. Give The Player More Information: The player could select an option in the report window (with a warning message to help prevent accidental misclicks from screwing things over) to, in exchange for their ability to use the chat AT ALL, see the true roles of all players, everyone's intended and true actions, etc. This could additionally be an option made available after the game has ended, allowing for a sort of Review Mode where one can review the game and make more reports if they see something suspicious. This option, before the end of the game, is obviously a bit dangerous to allow the players to use, as it opens up opportunity for exploitation via external chat. While I see no possible exploitation opportunities with allowing players to use this mode after the game, I highly doubt it would be allowed to be used while the game is still going.

-----------------------------------------------------

And finally, I take offense to your claims of pettiness. (No one called you petty or anything like that.) Due to frequent harassment from furry haters and homophobes, and frequent N1, D1, or even N0 leavers (really, though, why else would they be disconnecting that early into the game? I get giving them the benefit of the doubt, but there's only so far that doubt should go), I find myself having to report people in 1 in 3 games (Yes, I'm aware that leaving is not a reportable offense, but it makes me feel better, and it sometimes actually falls under gamethrowing (it doesn't fall under gamethrowing ever, unless it's intentional)), usually at least 2 people in each instance. Said time spent waiting around for roles to be revealed and/or time spent trying to find/select the right option in the drop-down boxes severely impact my ability to have fun with the game, because it's not time I'm spending enjoying the game or time I'm spending abandoning a game I find terrible and looking for a new one. I WANT to play the game, but people like these make it seem more like a chore, and if there was just some ways to make that chore just a little easier, then maybe I could once again find joy in the game.


Some answers in red in the quoted bit up there^

And now to move on: I think what people are trying to tell you is that an entire overhaul to the reporting system is by far not worth it for such relatively small, subjective, nuisances. This is not saying that anyone disagrees with why you report people, etc etc, but moreso with the issue being way too minor to warrant an entire overhaul of the entire system. Especially if the only issue in the end, is just one person not really feeling like having to scroll once to be able to click the proper reporting category.
Steam ToS Moderator and Bug Report buttinsky.
Image
User avatar
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3686
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:24 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Option To Report Multiple Users For The Same Reason At O

Postby ShylokVakarian » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:04 pm

Flavorable wrote:
ShylokVakarian wrote:
KatiyaKramer wrote:It's not about screen size, it's just personal preference. I do not like my screen to look too messy, which is one of my main complaints about the new Unity design, but that's neither here or there.

That is also a really bad comparison to be nitpicky with the game. Town of Salem is not a $300 game. Town of Salem is not a $75 game. Town of Salem, for most players, is either a $5 game, or it was a free game. Now I know people have put in hundreds of dollars into this game, but that has been for cosmetics or scrolls, not for core game content. The main content of the game was either 5 bucks or free, and it just seems petty to me to get that picky over a game that is that cheap. It is also petty to be saying "You'll be nitpicky over a piece of art or a tattoo" when that is something that is very personal to you. You are not sharing a piece of art or a tattoo with thousands of other people at the same time.

There are just other things in the world to be nitpicky about than a relatively cheap online game over something so trivial as how to report people. I know I have had games where I had to report multiple people at once, but I never once thought "God this is so tedious", no I just shrugged it off and filed every report individually. You can't let the small details annoy you. Nothing is perfect and this game is far from perfection.


It's kinda impossible to ignore thousands of small details all simultaneously yelling "KILL THE FURRY!"

Alright, this suggestion should at least stand a chance: Sometimes, people will anonymously throw the game, or anonymously cheat. While it never remains anonymous forever, it certainly can get grating to have to wait around half of or even for the rest of the game just to report someone because you don't know who the [Insert Role Here] is. I've got about three solutions: One that's annoying to use, one that's harder to implement cleanly, and one that's exploitable. Sadly, there's no perfect solution, because all choices (including ignoring the suggestion entirely) have a downside.

-----------------------------------------------------

Option 0. Ignore: Force people to either wait until the person behind the role is revealed, submit a report on anyone and take their chances with the Trial System's dodgy report duplication feature, or leave and let the offender go free.

Option 0.5. Fix The Report Duplication Feature And Add An "I'm Not Sure" Option To The Report Targets List: Self-explanatory. Reporters can just select I'm Not Sure to send a report with no target, and then the trial judges can use the newly-fixed Report Duplication feature to create a report with the real target. (What's wrong with the current duplication system? Heck, you could even duplicate it on the proper rulebreaker yourself.) (I distinctly remember the report duplication system being broken and unable to actually duplicate reports. Unless they fixed that while I wasn't looking, it's still broken. I apologize if they DID fix it, but forcing the judges to duplicate the right report for you is a bit of a dick move if you ask me.)

Option 1. Click On Role In Chat: One must open the chat log, find the action or message that highlights the rule violation, click on the name of the role (or other indication), and you can report the person without having to find out who they are. The server, through its own chat log, will cross-reference the message or action, and determine the actual target of the report. (Won't work when there's multiple people with the same role.) (That's not how the system would work. It doesn't run off the role, but similarities in the player's chat log and the server's logs. The role just helps guide the server to the person the player wanted to report.)

Option 2. Role Drop-Down: In the report window, add roles the game can expect the player to know exist in that game into the target drop-down menu. For example, any set role on the role list can be added, as are any roles that have either been "confirmed" (eg Veteran managed to land a kill, Mayor revealed, Retributionist resurrected someone, any roles in the graveyard, etc.) or have directly interacted with the player in a confirmable way (eg Blackmailer BM'd the player, Transporter trans'd the player, Witch controlled the player, the player investigated them as a Consig, etc. [Escort/Consort CANNOT be confirmed by RB'ing the player, as it is impossible to tell which is which from the player's perspective]). The big problem here is the issue of duplicate roles. We can't let the reporting person know HOW MANY of any given role there are in the game, as it can be exploited, but if there IS multiple of the same role, it can get confusing trying to find the right player. Option 1 has the advantage of taking directly from the chat log, allowing the server to pinpoint the exact player. Option 2 must rely on the trial judges to judge each member of that role individually.(That'll only result in less reports getting handled, because Jurors and Judges have to take even more time with every single report, I'm fairly sure that's not a thing any juror or Judge would want.) (I never said it was perfect, just an option.) Thus, there will be multiple reports filed by this method in these cases. We could always combine Option 0.5 with this method to reduce that, but implementation will always be at least a little bit messy with this option.

Option 3. Give The Player More Information: The player could select an option in the report window (with a warning message to help prevent accidental misclicks from screwing things over) to, in exchange for their ability to use the chat AT ALL, see the true roles of all players, everyone's intended and true actions, etc. This could additionally be an option made available after the game has ended, allowing for a sort of Review Mode where one can review the game and make more reports if they see something suspicious. This option, before the end of the game, is obviously a bit dangerous to allow the players to use, as it opens up opportunity for exploitation via external chat. While I see no possible exploitation opportunities with allowing players to use this mode after the game, I highly doubt it would be allowed to be used while the game is still going.

-----------------------------------------------------

And finally, I take offense to your claims of pettiness. (No one called you petty or anything like that.) (Highlighted where you called me petty in green) Due to frequent harassment from furry haters and homophobes, and frequent N1, D1, or even N0 leavers (really, though, why else would they be disconnecting that early into the game? I get giving them the benefit of the doubt, but there's only so far that doubt should go), I find myself having to report people in 1 in 3 games (Yes, I'm aware that leaving is not a reportable offense, but it makes me feel better, and it sometimes actually falls under gamethrowing (it doesn't fall under gamethrowing ever, unless it's intentional) (Leaving before the game even started sound pretty fuckin' intentional to me)), usually at least 2 people in each instance. Said time spent waiting around for roles to be revealed and/or time spent trying to find/select the right option in the drop-down boxes severely impact my ability to have fun with the game, because it's not time I'm spending enjoying the game or time I'm spending abandoning a game I find terrible and looking for a new one. I WANT to play the game, but people like these make it seem more like a chore, and if there was just some ways to make that chore just a little easier, then maybe I could once again find joy in the game.


Some answers in red in the quoted bit up there^

And now to move on: I think what people are trying to tell you is that an entire overhaul to the reporting system is by far not worth it for such relatively small, subjective, nuisances. This is not saying that anyone disagrees with why you report people, etc etc, but moreso with the issue being way too minor to warrant an entire overhaul of the entire system. Especially if the only issue in the end, is just one person not really feeling like having to scroll once to be able to click the proper reporting category. (ONLY issue? I've pointed out at least a few issues I've been having with the report system; yeah, most of them are pretty minor, but you know what else is pretty minor? The amount of work needed to implement some of them. Option to force drop-down boxes to expand completely? 20 new lines of code at most. Option to remember the previous reporting reason? 30 new lines at most. And keep in mind, these are liberal estimates, to account for retards like me who typed up Baby's First Python Script yesterday. BMG will probably be able to fit shit like that into 10 or 15 lines. And your argument completely glosses over the other issues, focusing on one particular issue to use as a punching bag; not to mention blowing the whole issue out of proportion by claiming they'd ALL require entire overhauls of the report system. Option 3? Oh, yeah, that's gonna be a lot of work, but even the version where you can't use it while the game is still going on could be useful for way more than just reporting people, and could even lead to the ability to save replays of games played. Wanna review a game where you did poorly, and try to learn something from your mistakes? That'll make it much easier.)
ShylokVakarian
Benefactor
Benefactor
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:40 pm

Re: Option To Report Multiple Users For The Same Reason At O

Postby Flavorable » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:34 pm

- I've never seen an issue with duplicating reports. Not sure when this happened, but unless the Trial Server was down for a couple days at that time, I have no other clue what you're talking about. Duplicating works absolutely fine.

- The petty thing: Overlooked that, but knowing Kat, she meant it more in a way of the issue being minor, not you behaving like a petty person. Would like to point out that it wasn't me who called you petty.

- Leaving before the game starts isn't intentional, a lot of the time, these users have their game freeze or crash due to Flash being unstable at best.

- Jurors duplicate reports all the time, in fact, that's part of their "job description". Having them do it isn't a "dick move", it's simply what they do already.

- You mentioned multiple issues, but I still only see one core issue: You feel it to be too much effort to use the drop down menu when reporting someone. Granted, it's difficult to pull that back now, since you deleted you OG posts.

- The amount of "lines of code" isn't what makes it a hard or easy thing, the work put in doesn't equal the nuisance of the current system, especially if this is not a massive player issue, but so far just a single person's issue.

Last but not least: I assume since you deleted the OG posts that you no longer wish to discuss your suggestions, so on that note, I will be locking this post. Feel free to post a new suggestion whenever you have one.
Steam ToS Moderator and Bug Report buttinsky.
Image
User avatar
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3686
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:24 am
Location: Netherlands


Return to Suggestions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests