Time Master, Neutral (Evil)

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

Time Master, Neutral (Evil)

Postby Malphas » Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:41 am

Role Name:
Time Master
Role Alignment:
Neutral (Evil)
Abilities:
You may choose, during the day, which of your abilities will you use during the night.
Attributes:
1. The Past: Select a target during the day and during the night if they use their ability you "save" their target, you don't prevent the ability's effect, but save the information of who was the target. When you use the Past again, you make your target use their ability on the "saved" target in addition to their new target
2. The Present: Select a target make them use their ability on a second target in addition to their original target
3. The Future: Select a target and store the effect of their ability for a later date, once used again, you select a target which will be affected by the stored ability
Once the Past is used the ability may only be released on the previous target.
Once the Present is used on a player it cannot be used for the duration of three days.
When using the Future the Time Master is informed of the stored effect and which role the origin of the effect is, in the case of the stored effect being an investigation by a Sheriff/Investigator/Consigliere the Time Master will be informed of the results, but in the case of the stored ability being an attack the Time Master will be informed of its strength. Also the target on who the Future was used will be informed that they've been roleblocked since their attack/ability will not go through.
The Time Master has no attack and basic defense.
The Time Master's abilities are classified as control abilities.
The targets of the abilities are not informed that they've been influenced/ been the target of the abilities. For example if the Past is used on a Sheriff and you release the ability's effect they'll get the result of their current target in addition to the result of their past target, but won't be informed which result is for which target and won't be informed that they've been controlled (I realize that this is a bad example, but this quirk is useful in correlation with the Present)
Notifications:
The Time Master will be informed if the use of his abilities has failed.
Goal:
Survive to see the town lose
Win Conditions:
You must kill the Town
You may win with anyone if the goal is achieved and you're alive at the end
Special attributes:
Roleblock Immunity
Control Immunity
Investigator Results:
Sheriff - You cannot find evidence of wrongdoing. Your target seems innocent.
Investigator – Your target can find information about people. They must be an Investigator, a Consigliere, a Time Master or a Sheriff.
Consigliere - As the times change so does your target. They must be a Time Master.
Achievements:
Retaliation - Win 1 game as Time Master
Revenge – Win 5 game as Time Master
Master of Vengeance – Win 10 games as Time Master
God of Retribution – Win 25 games as Time Master
Incognito – Win 1 game as Time Master without using any ability
Additional Information:
As stated below in Lore the player has to use the chaos and confusion that they cause to their advantage.
Lore:
You're a manipulative sorcerer who has mastered Time in order to get revenge for your daughter on the Town which drove her to suicide.

Edit one: Changed the Goal, the abilities the Past and the Present. Thanks goes to NefariousDjinn for his/hers/its contribution.
Edit two: For those interested in the role I recommend reading the last few replies because I changed the abilities drastically.
Edit three: I updated the abilities and everything I could think of. Special thanks goes to Brilliand for his/hers/its help in brainstorming the abilities. And if anyone can think of anything that I forgot to update or something that should be changed, leave a reply.
Last edited by Malphas on Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:21 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Malphas

Re: Time Master, Neutral (Evil)

Postby Malphas » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:41 pm

I came up this idea yesterday while watching a Town of Salam video by JeromeACE and I just had to write it down. So I was hoping for an opinion about the role, what can be changed, what's badly done and what would you suggest to do.
Malphas

Postby NefariousDjinn » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:37 pm

A few issues immediately spring to mind

There is no way for this role to actively harm town meaning that there isn't really a way for it to ensure that town would lose or even effectively kill town. So its win condition should be the same as the current Witch "Survive to see the town lose"

As for the actual abilities

1. is mostly useless if you can't use the dead townies. It's basically a necromancer with half the actions. Rather then this perhaps an ability that would allow you to copy the previous action of a selected player would be better. Or an action that would make a player relive their previous night action.

I.E. An investigator chooses to investigate someone but the results of their investigation would be the same as the night before.

Example 1. John Smith investigates Deodat Lawson n2.. who is a Bodyguard. John Smith investigates Giles Corey n3 who is the Mayor but gets the Bodyguard result from the night before.

Not sure how it would work with a vigilante shot or jailor execution off the top but it would be an interesting mechanic to use.

2. is pretty pointless as a role as it simply locks the game for a night with no body able to do anything. Now perhaps you meant it would only roleblock town roles but I think that's a bit too excessive of an ability.. Perhaps rather then roleblocking everyone have it role block a singular player and allow you to perform their night action on another player of your choice and get the results. Again similar to a witch here I know. This is just a spit ball of an idea. Alternatively you could just receive their night actions as they perform them. Perhaps even if they have a night chat get the ability to see the night chat of a Jailor or Medium or Mafia or Vampire or Coven. You see everything that player sees at night including results of their abilities and night chat. that would be a fun idea as well.

3. Probably the best of the three abilities and I don't really have an objection to this

I'd also not make the abilities single use. Maybe a cool down but yeah. It would be a choice between messing up towns results and abilities, or choosing to learn information for yourself or protect yourself. Maybe have astral visits as well. I can definitely see potential here for an interesting concept though.
NefariousDjinn
Civilian
Civilian

Postby Malphas » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:38 pm

I actualy like that the abilities are one use only because it forces the played not to be reckless, but I can see your point. And I was considering adding a 4. ability, one which could only be used if you havn't used the first three and if the 4. ability is used you could not use the first tree. It would probably be something that allows the player to kill, like you gain Powerful attack for three nights or you deal an Unstoppable attack to one player. It would be called the Arc of Time or Entropy or something in that manner and the notification would be “The River of Time has been disturbed and [name of the ability] has been invoked!”
Thanks you NefariousDjinn for the help and the suggestions.
Malphas

Postby Brilliand » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:26 pm

I don't like giving it so many disparate abilities; it feels like you're trying to cram too much into one role. The fact that all of the abilities are single-use supports that, from my perspective.

He also doesn't have a particularly clear path to using his abilities to support his goal, in contrast with i.e. the Potion Master.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Malphas » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:31 am

I can see what you mean, but I like the theame of the past, present and future. You got me thinking how could I make the abiliteis more unified and the only thing I could think of is: I leave the Past as it is, make it that when the Present is used you can control one player, but they're not notefied that they've been controled and leave the Future as it is, I quite like it. And I know it may seem that that the target not being notefied is unfair, but when the ability is used the town will know and I thing the doubt and the confusion will be delicious.
And I know it may not seem more unified, but the role is a manipulative sorcerer so he causes confusion and takes advantige of it.
Thank you brilliand for taking the time to help and if you're in the mood could give me your opinion on what I've wrote here and in my earlier post about a fourth ability (and I was thinking about adding that after the ability was used the player would die in 3 days, like a restricion beacause he sped up time to get the power to kill and has to pay a price).
P.S. I like your Conqueror idea
Malphas

Postby Brilliand » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:07 pm

Having the role's abilities be a countdown to an ultimate seems like the wrong route to me - at least, for a game like this. I'd rather see the role's abilities all be unlimited-use, but interact with each other in a way that makes you want to rotate between them. Example:

The Past: Everything that happened the last time you used "The Present" is repeated (in addition to whatever is happening normally).
The Present: Discharges the "Future" effect, and marks the night for future uses of "The Past".
The Future: Everything that would happen the current night is delayed until you use "The Present". Can't use this again until you have discharged the effect.

This is only an example, though, mostly because wide-angle "affects everyone" abilities are probably a bad idea. If it's single-target, though, it becomes too much like a witch, so... I dunno.

I did notice one niche for this that your ability list didn't cover, which is that causing a player to do two or more things in the same night (by delaying previous actions so they pile up) could be pretty confusing for investigatives, and potentially useful for evil killers.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Malphas » Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:44 am

I think I wasn't clear enough when writing my reply last time, sorry. The use of the fourth ability would only be possible if the first three abilities were not used and once the fourth ability was used the first three could not be used. I hope it's clear what I'm trying to convey, but if it's not I'm sorry... I just got up.

Brilliand I like where you're going with this, let me see if I got it (and I agree it should be only one target and not everybody). When the Past is used and you saved the previous night, for example, of an Investigator they would not see the result of their current investigation, but the result of a past investigation. In the case of the target not doing anything the night the Present was used they would be roleblocked. But this is where I'm undecided, if the target is a killing role they probably killed their target already and this could go two ways. If the killer's previous target wasn't killed, they would attack it again (which is as good as roleblocking, but they would not be informed that their target was changed) and in the case that they're not alive, the killing role should be roleblocked, is that okay? Also while using the Present you should have the choice of using the stored Past and releasing the effect of the Future. I think the Future has the most potential for causing confusion among the Town, if the player that you targeted tried to kill somebody their target would not die and the attack would be again directed to them when the effect is discharged, but in the case of the killer's target's death the killer should be roleblocked. In the case of an Investigator their investigation should give them the results that are correct, but when the effect is released their investigation result should be the one they received should be to one they got when the Future was first activated. And if your target died by the time you released the effect of the Future than it does nothing or it could give you a Basic defense for one night, not sure which is better.

With the abilities that you suggested the notifications are a bit redundant and only ruin the confusion that Time Master should be using to win. Also, I don't think that these abilities make the role look like a Witch, I get where you might be coming from, but I just don't see it that way. A difference would also be that once an ability was used on someone they would not know that while you would know if you were controlled by a Witch. Also, the Time Master should be informed what did they store, for example, if player A is a Vigilante and he shoots player B, player B would not die and the Time Master would be informed that Player A attacked player B with a Basic/Powerful/Unstoppable attack and which role is player A.

I was thinking about what you said in the last paragraph and it could be a fourth ability which could be called the Parallel and enables you to take control of a player and make them select a second target. For example if the target was a Mafioso, he would attack the target he selected and the target you selected, but he would not be told that he attacked two players, let him figure it out himself.
Thanks Brilliand for the suggestions, they're great and to be honest when I first read them I was like what the hell just happened... yeah I hadn't had my morning coffee yet at the time. :D
Malphas

Postby Brilliand » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:09 pm

Malphas wrote:I think I wasn't clear enough when writing my reply last time, sorry. The use of the fourth ability would only be possible if the first three abilities were not used and once the fourth ability was used the first three could not be used.

Oh, well that seems like a bad idea to me too - it just gives the role more disparate abilities, and causes each individual ability to be used even less.

Malphas wrote:Brilliand I like where you're going with this, let me see if I got it (and I agree it should be only one target and not everybody). When the Past is used and you saved the previous night, for example, of an Investigator they would not see the result of their current investigation, but the result of a past investigation. In the case of the target not doing anything the night the Present was used they would be roleblocked. But this is where I'm undecided, if the target is a killing role they probably killed their target already and this could go two ways. If the killer's previous target wasn't killed, they would attack it again (which is as good as roleblocking, but they would not be informed that their target was changed) and in the case that they're not alive, the killing role should be roleblocked, is that okay? Also while using the Present you should have the choice of using the stored Past and releasing the effect of the Future. I think the Future has the most potential for causing confusion among the Town, if the player that you targeted tried to kill somebody their target would not die and the attack would be again directed to them when the effect is discharged, but in the case of the killer's target's death the killer should be roleblocked. In the case of an Investigator their investigation should give them the results that are correct, but when the effect is released their investigation result should be the one they received should be to one they got when the Future was first activated. And if your target died by the time you released the effect of the Future than it does nothing or it could give you a Basic defense for one night, not sure which is better.

Well, my idea was the "Past" wouldn't replace the current actions - it would be "in addition to". So Investigatives would see two resultsets, and have to figure out which is which. Killers would attack their previous target (if still alive), and also attack whoever they decided to attack the current night. For some reason the idea of this role frequently having a "just roleblock" outcome doesn't sit right with me.

Malphas wrote:With the abilities that you suggested the notifications are a bit redundant and only ruin the confusion that Time Master should be using to win. Also, I don't think that these abilities make the role look like a Witch, I get where you might be coming from, but I just don't see it that way. A difference would also be that once an ability was used on someone they would not know that while you would know if you were controlled by a Witch. Also, the Time Master should be informed what did they store, for example, if player A is a Vigilante and he shoots player B, player B would not die and the Time Master would be informed that Player A attacked player B with a Basic/Powerful/Unstoppable attack and which role is player A.

Yes, the Time Master should know what they stored for sure.

Depending on which set of abilities are used, it might be pretty easy for the Town to deduce that there's a Time Master active, even with no notifications. There are a lot of ideas floating around, though, so you might be able to find a set that isn't obvious. (I doubt it, though.)

Malphas wrote:I was thinking about what you said in the last paragraph and it could be a fourth ability which could be called the Parallel and enables you to take control of a player and make them select a second target. For example if the target was a Mafioso, he would attack the target he selected and the target you selected, but he would not be told that he attacked two players, let him figure it out himself.

A fourth ability? It seems to me there's enough room to replace one of the three abilities, or merge it into one of the three abilities. (Some of my example abilities have this side effect already.)
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Malphas » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:34 am

Well, my idea was the "Past" wouldn't replace the current actions - it would be "in addition to". So Investigatives would see two resultsets, and have to figure out which is which. Killers would attack their previous target (if still alive), and also attack whoever they decided to attack the current night. For some reason the idea of this role frequently having a "just roleblock" outcome doesn't sit right with me.

I get what you mean, but in the case of an Investigator seeing a result of a past investigation they easily deduce which result was "fake", they just have to look into their will and see when have their results come up before. The roleblock outcome doesn't sit with me as well, but I don't know what could happen otherwise. Maybe if their previous target is dead the Time Master gets to pick a second target to attack?

Or I change the Past into having the effect of making the target use their ability on their past target and if their past target is dead the Time Master selects another target for them to attack.

The abilities would then look something like this:
-The Past - Select a target to make them use their ability on their previous target in addition to their current one (in the case of their previous target not being alive or them not having a previous target the Time Master selects a second one)
-The Present - Discharges the "Future" effect or enables the Time Master to select a second target for one player
-The Future - Select a target and store the effect of their ability for a later date (the Time Master is informed of the stored effect and which role the origin of the effect is, in the case of the stored effect being an investigation by a Sheriff/Ivest/Consig the Time Master will be informed of the results, but in the case of the stored ability being an attack the Time Master will be informed of its strengh)
The abilities are reusable, there will be no notifications and the targets of the abilities will not be informed that they, for example, attacked two people, also the Time Master is immune to the abilities of another Time Master, they are informed that of the presence of one anotherin the case of one of them targeting the other.

P.S. Thank you Brilliand for taking the time reply here, I love waking in the morning and working on this.
Malphas

Postby Brilliand » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:24 pm

Malphas wrote:I get what you mean, but in the case of an Investigator seeing a result of a past investigation they easily deduce which result was "fake", they just have to look into their will and see when have their results come up before.

I'm not sure. It COULD work that way, but I think the Time Master player has a lot of ways to potentially throw off whatever Investigative they're messing with.

Malphas wrote:The roleblock outcome doesn't sit with me as well, but I don't know what could happen otherwise. Maybe if their previous target is dead the Time Master gets to pick a second target to attack?

I mean that having "roleblock" as the explicit effect of a Time Master ability doesn't sit right with me. Losing stored abilities because they no longer have a valid target is fine. (Though being able to pick a "backup target" when using the "Present" ability doesn't seem that bad either.)

Malphas wrote:-The Present - Discharges the "Future" effect or enables the Time Master to select a second target for one player

I'm uncomfortable with the conditional nature of this (because it effectively makes a fourth ability). Letting the past/future effects double things up is probably sufficient, no need to let the Time Master add secondary targets in real time. (Adding a secondary target each night would let this role perform as an extra evil killer, which is no good.)

Incidentally, I think it would be fine to let the Time Master store one Future action for each living player, and discharge them all with one use of Present.

Malphas wrote:the Time Master is immune to the abilities of another Time Master, they are informed that of the presence of one anotherin the case of one of them targeting the other.

I would say:
  • Classify the Time Master's ability as a "control" ability and make the Time Master "control immune" (this makes him unable to affect Transporters or Veterans, but that's fine).
  • Don't notify the Time Master that there are two Time Masters. Time Masters can find each other using the consig side effect of their Future ability; that's good enough.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby BasicFourLife » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:03 am

this is how u strikethrough
RNG is never good for any strategy based game. Please learn the definition of what that means, especially if you're one of the people constantly defending it.

FM / TG: 5 - 10 - 8
BasicFourLife
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby Malphas » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:58 am

First I would like to thank BasicFourLife for his enlightening explanation.

Now, Brilliand I've read what you wrote about the Past and came to the conclusion that the ability can be ether of the following:
- Select a target to make them use their ability on their previous target in addition to their current one (in the case of their previous target not being alive or them not having a previous target the Time Master selects a second one)
- You select a target during the day and during the night if they use their ability you "save" their target, you don't prevent the ability's effect, but save the information of who was the target. When you use the Past again, you make your target (it has to be the same person) use their ability on the "saved" target in addition to their new target

The Present could look like this:
- Select a target make them use their ability on a second target
I think the Present is okay like this, it doesn't have to be complicated.

Incidentally, I think it would be fine to let the Time Master store one Future action for each living player, and discharge them all with one use of Present.

I don't like that that the Future can be used without releasing it's effect and allowing the Time Master to store abilities from multiple players seems a bit too much.

And the Future could be:
- Select a target and store the effect of their ability for a later date (the Time Master is informed of the stored effect and which role the origin of the effect is, in the case of the stored effect being an investigation by a Sheriff/Ivest/Consig the Time Master will be informed of the results, but in the case of the stored ability being an attack the Time Master will be informed of its strengh). Once used again, you select a target which will be affected by the stored ability

It could also be that you just select when will the effect be released on the original target.

Don't notify the Time Master that there are two Time Masters. Time Masters can find each other using the consig side effect of their Future ability; that's good enough.

Now, this is a problem. If the Time Master's abilities are classified as control abilities (which logically speaking they are) then the consig side effect will not work on them because you first have to store an ability to get the info. But, I think it would be okay if the two Time Master are not being informed of the presence of each other if one uses their ability on the other. They just have to assume that they've been roleblocked or select another target, if they're smart.
Malphas

Postby Brilliand » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:32 pm

Broadly, I probably shouldn't argue with you about the particular abilities any further; there are enough ideas here, and it remains only to collect your thoughts and update the OP.

Malphas wrote:Now, this is a problem. If the Time Master's abilities are classified as control abilities (which logically speaking they are) then the consig side effect will not work on them because you first have to store an ability to get the info. But, I think it would be okay if the two Time Master are not being informed of the presence of each other if one uses their ability on the other. They just have to assume that they've been roleblocked or select another target, if they're smart.

The Time Master would have to be roleblock-immune too. Anything that makes control immunity necessary also makes roleblock immunity necessary, because the Escort can be controlled.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Malphas » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:15 am

Bump. I updated the abilities a while ago and I wasn't sure if anyone saw them, so...
P.S. Please tell me someone noticed the the Doctor Who reference.
Malphas

Postby Brilliand » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:07 pm

I remain concerned that the "The Present" ability is too powerful, specifically if he uses it to control an evil killing role (esp. Serial Killer or Mafioso) every night. It effectively allows the Time Master to become another evil killer, which is too much for a Neutral Evil.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Malphas » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:57 am

What do you say if I made it that once an ability is used on someone it cannot be used on them for 1 day, for example if on day 2 the Time Master choose to use the Present (it doesn't matter which one, if one is used the others also cannot be used on the same player for one day) on player x, the Time Master would have to wait until day 4 to choose player x as a target.
Malphas

Postby Brilliand » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:18 pm

Malphas wrote:What do you say if I made it that once an ability is used on someone it cannot be used on them for 1 day, for example if on day 2 the Time Master choose to use the Present (it doesn't matter which one, if one is used the others also cannot be used on the same player for one day) on player x, the Time Master would have to wait until day 4 to choose player x as a target.

I think it's still too powerful that way. I'd only feel comfortable limiting The Present to once per game per target, seeing as how it's potentially a killing ability on a Neutral Evil.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Malphas » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:33 am

I think that would be too limiting and luck based, so I was thinking that the cooldown can insead of one day be three days. That means that even if you chanse upon a killing role you'll have to stay alive for tree day to use them again.
Malphas

Postby Brilliand » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:29 pm

Malphas wrote:I think that would be too limiting and luck based, so I was thinking that the cooldown can insead of one day be three days. That means that even if you chanse upon a killing role you'll have to stay alive for tree day to use them again.

Eh, that works. It's still almost like adding Potion Master to Classic as a Neutral Evil, but it's at least a weaker version of Potion Master.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Return to Role Ideas