New Unity Client is a big nerf to evil roles (copy paste)

Post anything related to the game here!

New Unity Client is a big nerf to evil roles (copy paste)

Postby chucumber » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:12 pm

A little known change is that you can now copy and paste anything in the chat by a single mouse click. This also includes status messages like investigative results. For example I can click my investigative results and instantly post "Your target could be a Investigator, Consigliere, or Mayor."

Before people would often shorthand investigative results such as n1 - bubs (GF, ARSO, BG). This copy and paste feature is starting to catch on and I've noticed players starting to become suspicious whenever someone posts shorthand results since its far easier and faster to just copy paste from the chat log. Evil roles basically have to pull up the wiki or have a document open to copy and paste status messages from. It's still easy to work around, it's just annoying how town is starting to catch on that you have to post full complete sentences exactly like what is found in the chat log.
chucumber
Executioner
Executioner

Re: New Unity Client is a big nerf to evil roles (copy paste

Postby PolyesterHomes » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:23 pm

How is it a big nerf if it's easy to workaround?
"Whisper in the dark. The battle may yet be won."
PolyesterHomes
Veteran
Veteran

Postby wozearly » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:47 am

Because it's an extra faff for evils to have to worry about that Town doesn't.

A real invest posts their full generated results. A fake invest has to type out their fake results longhand, then copy paste just that line from their will. Unlike a real invest, they have to memorise the order of each set of invest results or keep a reference source open. Any delay may be taken to be suspicious. And evils often have a lot of things to think about at once.

It makes it easier for Town members. Therefore its a Town buff / Evils nerf, even if not necessarily a gamechanging one.
wozearly
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby MysticMismagius » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:00 am

The thing is, you could always copy/paste from the chat. The only thing that’s changed is the method used to do it. Before, you could click and drag, while now you can press a button. But now, just like then, writing your results in shorthand isn’t considered sus. Nothing changes with this update.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby kyuss420 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:42 pm

So its metagaming..... if someone types something shorthand, ''copy it from chat or we lynch''
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby MysticMismagius » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:41 pm

Who the hell is saying that, though? I've never seen anyone bitch about me writing results in shorthand (which I do regardless of role).
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby BlastingOff » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:42 pm

Not an Unity player (I still use Flash cause I don't have the Steam version) but if you ask me, this strategy won't hold for long, especially if those practicing it read the forums (which I highly doubt) and the amount of mislynches makes them rethink about those strategies.

Stuff like Jailor meta are living cause they have actual benefits and have less risks, wheres this doesn't.
BlastingOff
Medium
Medium

Postby kyuss420 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:48 am

yea.. Im starting to notice little squares next to names on everyones will posting. I play on web, so I assume theyre numbers, copied straight from the chat log... Ill sure be suspicious of psychics and roles that dont post with squares from now on....
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby RedWhaley14 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:55 pm

I've actually been using this strategy a long time as an EVIL. The night actions of each role aren't really difficult to remember. I've gotten many an Exe win just by typing the exact text a Lookout, Trapper, or Crusader gets. It's really nothing difficult to work around, and even if it was, it's not going to be that useful because it eats up a lot of space in your will.
Favorite Games: Pokemon Shuffle, Town of Salem, Geometry Dash, Chess

I always type long messages, so beware
RedWhaley14
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby EgyptFalcon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:38 pm

Everyone here is treating this like it isn't a big deal. It is.

Copying pasting multiple lines insta-confirms you because even if you have the information as evil you can't even ctrl+C -- ctrl+V that fast. All you have to do is change your mind a couple times at night and then you can do something that no evil could ever do.
Check out my best role ideas:
Doomsayer (TK)
Kleptomaniac (NE)
Riddler (MK)
EgyptFalcon
Spy
Spy

Postby Brilliand » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:49 pm

EgyptFalcon wrote:Everyone here is treating this like it isn't a big deal. It is.

Copying pasting multiple lines insta-confirms you because even if you have the information as evil you can't even ctrl+C -- ctrl+V that fast. All you have to do is change your mind a couple times at night and then you can do something that no evil could ever do.

Last time there was a problem similar to this, it was fixed by providing all roles' role-cards through an in-game interface. This could be solved in a similar fashion (providing an in-game interface to construct any message that other roles might see as part of their role)?
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby kosmo16 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:57 pm

Brilliand wrote:
EgyptFalcon wrote:Everyone here is treating this like it isn't a big deal. It is.

Last time there was a problem similar to this, it was fixed by providing all roles' role-cards through an in-game interface. This could be solved in a similar fashion (providing an in-game interface to construct any message that other roles might see as part of their role)?

Or just not allow to copy results.
Legacy Season Rank: Master
Season One Rank: Master
Season Two Rank: Diamond
Season Three Rank: Master
Season Four Rank: Master
kosmo16
Jailor
Jailor

Postby fwogcarf » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:15 pm

It actually isn't a big deal. Evils can just write down their wills at night and copypaste them in the morning. If they don't have their claim set in place then I'm sorry but that's dumb.
Spoiler: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M79vYZu-WIKrW0WQ0pCISBq66DeBfSir5T7RCuy0OWY/edit?usp=sharing
We are creators of our own future

We are supporters of forces against despair

We defend against the evils of the world

We are guardians, we are strong
fwogcarf
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby EgyptFalcon » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:20 am

fwogcarf wrote:

It actually isn't a big deal. Evils can just write down their wills at night and copypaste them in the morning. If they don't have their claim set in place then I'm sorry but that's dumb.

Did you read what I said? Multiple lines. If you change your mind give times each night then on the stand copy click every line in less than a second. It is literally impossible to do this with normal Ctrl v.
Doomsayer (TK)
Kleptomaniac (NE)
Riddler (MK)
EgyptFalcon
Spy
Spy

Postby PolyesterHomes » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:56 am

Have you tried a Macro?
"Whisper in the dark. The battle may yet be won."
PolyesterHomes
Veteran
Veteran

Postby EgyptFalcon » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:39 am

PolyesterHomes wrote:Have you tried a Macro?

>more shit for evils to deal with
Doomsayer (TK)
Kleptomaniac (NE)
Riddler (MK)
EgyptFalcon
Spy
Spy

Postby chucumber » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:47 pm

^ With this new client I have been able to 100% confirm myself as a medium every single time by simply clicking and pasting the entire dead chat that night. I can do it in a matter of seconds too which no evil role claiming medium could do. It is a pretty big deal and IMO should be changed back to the way it was where you couldn't copy and paste with clicking.
chucumber
Executioner
Executioner

Postby kyuss420 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:53 am

Yea i had 3 games yesterday with someone demanding a player copy and paste their night result from the chat log... after they had posted it twice in shorthand
Last edited by kyuss420 on Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby kosmo16 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:29 am

Whoever says it is not a big deal is hard trolling. Copying anything in this game shouldn't be allowed. You can see that devs are not playing this game at all.
Legacy Season Rank: Master
Season One Rank: Master
Season Two Rank: Diamond
Season Three Rank: Master
Season Four Rank: Master
kosmo16
Jailor
Jailor

Return to Town of Salem Discussion