Town of Salem: Where It's Halloween Everyday

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Town of Salem: Where It's Halloween Everyday

Postby shapesifter13 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:39 pm

Hey Townies,

Trick or Treat?

Treat you say?

Then we have a treat for all of you! Today we are officially releasing the Unity update to Steam! We hope you will enjoy the fresh new look and the tons of new features we have in store for you. We can't wait to see what you think! Town of Salem has been completely rebuilt in the Unity game engine, allowing the game to move forward as Flash is sent to the gallows. This is the next step in our strategy to port all of our platforms (mobile, Steam, and web) onto a common code base built on Unity. With this release, both Steam and mobile are now on the Unity code base. All that is left is to port to web! We appreciate all the help with testing, and all the feedback you all have given us. We will continue to look for ways to improve the client, and we look forward to the bright future ahead of us.

Be sure to check out the featured items and the shop to get just the right costume to wear, and pets to follow you during all of your Halloween games! Be it a wicked witch, a ghastly ghost, or a vile vampire!

Here's a list of new features, improvements and bug fixes for the new Town of Salem (not exhaustive because SO MUCH has been done):

NEW FEATURES

• General - A redesigned user interface features icons, tooltips, and new, bright graphics throughout.
• General - The new game engine provides smoother animations, faster frame rates, and snappier response.
• General - You can now log out of the game without closing.
• Home - New incoming friend messages and notifications can be shown in a Toaster that opens in the bottom right corner of the Home screen. Clicking a toaster notification takes you to the appropriate message or notification. Toaster notifications can be turned on or off via a checkbox setting in the Burger Menu under the Settings > General Tab
• Home - Added a Friends Online bubble at top left of the screen so you'll know how many of your friends are online at a glance.
• Home - The Burger Menu contains a Profile page for both your Classic and Coven play, including your stats and ranked trophy.
• Account Profile - A new Account Profile screen shows you items that you own, including scrolls and taunts.
• Game - Minimizing various windows now slides them off screen to a tab. Clicking the tab brings the windows back on screen.
• Game - When certain items are minimized, other windows will expand to fill the space. For instance, minimizing the Graveyard and Role List windows will allow the chat box to expand upwards.
• Game - Targeting menu now has tabs to give you filtered view of the players, including all live players, your faction members (if applicable), and valid targets available.
• Game - Targeting buttons now have both icons and text to provide clarity on what clicking them will do. No more plain grey buttons!
• Game - Visual icons have been added to the targeting menus to show various effects (Guardian Angel protection, VIP, Lover, etc.)
• Game - A new self-targeting icon for actions such as Mayor Reveal, Jailor Execute, etc.
• Game - When playing as Hex Master, hexed players (those that you as the player would think are hexed) now have an indicator showing they are hexed. Note that if a hex fails but you are not notified, the hexed symbol will still appear.
• Game - When playing as Arsonist, doused players (those that you as the player would think are doused) now have an indicator showing them as doused. Note that if a douse fails but you are not notified, the doused symbol will still appear.
• Game - When playing as Poisoner, poisoned players (those that you as the player would think are poisoned) now have an indicator showing them as poisoned. Note that if a poison attempt fails but you are not notified, the poisoned symbol will still appear.
• Game - Trapper role - Visual icons indicate trap status (i.e. Building, Ready, or Set).
• Game - Whisper, Ignore, Unignore and Report buttons are easily accessible with the targeting menus.
• Game - The Graveyard shows the dead player's position inside a circular icon (standardized to match other menus) and a tombstone icon indicates the day/night the player died.
• Game - Added Cause of Death to the expanded Graveyard player buttons.
• Game - There is now a built-in notepad within the game to track your notes.
• Game - Chat - Added optional player numbers to chat messages. These can be toggled on/off in the Burger Menu.
• Game - Added keyboard hotkeys for opening and closing last will, death notes, notepad, and chat log. Tooltips on the icons show the hotkeys.
• Game - A button on the Last Will posts your will to the chat. Same with your Notes!
• Game - Environmental effects (snow, blowing petals, cinders, etc.) have been added to some maps. These can be turned on and off in the Burger Menu settings.
• Game - New animations to show game outcome when transitioning to the End Game screen.

IMPROVEMENTS

• General - Town of Salem now works with 4K monitors.
• Friends - The Friends chat has been improved to keep the focus in the chat box when typing and submitting.
• Friends - More intuitive flow for adding new friends.
• Home - Friends and Notifications buttons have been moved to the top left of the home page with new animations to indicate items awaiting your review.
• Home and Lobby - A new, improved AFK system provides feedback to let you know when you are nearing AFK status, and provides a countdown to automatic logout.
• Lobby - Better immediate feedback on assembling valid role lists for a custom game. Adding an invalid role will show the problems with the roles selected.
• Lobby - When joining a lobby, the current game mode will now print out in the Chat box to remove any doubt of which game mode you are playing.
• Name Selection - Typing focus is automatically set to Name input or Chat box as appropriate.
• Game - The Last Will/Death Note/Notes popups recognize the Esc key to close the popup.
• Game - The Chat Log is now more accessible, blocks less of the main play screen, and can show player numbers for the players chatting and for game messages displayed in the chat. These can be turned on or off in the Burger Menu.
• Game - If a dead player does not leave a Last Will, the targeting menu button for showing their Last Will says "No Last Will" and the button icon changes to indicate the same.
• Game - Attack/Defense changes for obtaining Necronomicon are now properly updated to the role card.
• Game - Witch role card now updates Defense stat from Basic to None following the first attack.
• Game - The in-game chat box now gets focus automatically even when chat log is open.

BUG FIXES

• Game - The Sheriff and Godfather role cards have been slightly changed to better reflect the role rules.
• Game - Amnesiac will now properly show in Investigator Results.
• Many other long-standing bugs from Flash have been addressed in this Unity port.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Re: Town of Salem: Where It's Halloween Everyday

Postby MysticMismagius » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:12 pm

MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby williewest » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:24 pm

This means the unitytest beta is obsolete for me to have, yeah?
Everything in my signature is a clickable link
Spoiler: Discord: William#2527

williewest
Transporter
Transporter

Postby PyromonkeyGG » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:41 pm

Correct, we would like everyone to switch to the live client and off of the test branch. We will be removing that branch in a week or so after we are sure most people will have switched.
PyromonkeyGG
Developer
Developer

Postby JacksonVirgo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:42 am

Holy damn, didn't think I'd ever see this day
Pronouns - They/Them

On-site FM Record: 11-0-11
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: VFM75 - Citizen - Win
Latest Scum Game: SFM79 - Coroner - Win
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 02.12.20 AEST
JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Transcender » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:52 am

PyromonkeyGG wrote:Correct, we would like everyone to switch to the live client and off of the test branch. We will be removing that branch in a week or so after we are sure most people will have switched.

H E H A S R E T U R N E D

This shit h e l l a lit
Transcender
Recruiter
Recruiter

Postby Chemist1422 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:10 am

MysticMismagius wrote:Image
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?
(still here for danganronpa i guess)

stop sending reports to me i'm not a tos game moderator
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby GoogleFeud » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:53 am

cool
GoogleFeud
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby dr1nkycr0w » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:10 pm

Do you have an estimated release date for the web port?
dr1nkycr0w
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Transcender » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:25 pm

dr1nkycr0w wrote:Do you have an estimated release date for the web port?

there has never been a strong estimation for these things like ever
Transcender
Recruiter
Recruiter

Postby dr1nkycr0w » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:33 pm

Google wrote:
dr1nkycr0w wrote:Do you have an estimated release date for the web port?

there has never been a strong estimation for these things like ever

Ok thanks. I'll just keep checking. Looking forward to it.
dr1nkycr0w
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Jerme » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:05 pm

Its planned that it happens before Flash dies, more is not available.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DragonClaw66 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:59 pm

Jerme wrote:Its planned that it happens before Flash dies, more is not available.

Honestly, I'm more than happy to wait two months. We're almost at the point where we can start making serious balance changes.
DragonClaw66
Summer 2019 Winner
Summer 2019 Winner

Postby orangeandblack5 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:59 pm

God I hope so
Spoiler:
SwampRabbit wrote:your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

that is the dumbest idea I think I have heard.

ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

Sarah Thorpe wrote:Role Ideas is great for masochists.
orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Postby Soulshade55r » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:46 pm

DragonClaw66 wrote:
Jerme wrote:Its planned that it happens before Flash dies, more is not available.

Honestly, I'm more than happy to wait two months. We're almost at the point where we can start making serious balance changes.

What like making spy a functioning role?
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Transcender » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:32 am

Soulshade55r wrote:
DragonClaw66 wrote:

Rolelists are a bigger problem imo
Transcender
Recruiter
Recruiter

Postby ScarfVendetta » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:31 am

Google wrote:
Soulshade55r wrote:
DragonClaw66 wrote:

But what about the people that enjoy playing against 4 Town Support roles?
Just some Sheriff who didn't claim until Day 5, and has no leads whatsoever

No need to be alarmed...
ScarfVendetta
Summer 2020 Winner
Summer 2020 Winner

Postby BlastingOff » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:23 pm

ScarfVendetta wrote:
Google wrote:
Soulshade55r wrote:
DragonClaw66 wrote:

They don't bring balance. If you would like to play with 4 TS roles, join a custom game where there are such 4 TS roles or an All/Any game. 4 TS is too much for evils to handle, seeing as how 3/5 of them are insta confirmable, the other 2 not being so hard under some circumstances. This doesn't make it fun to play as evil, so a new rolelist is likely gonna solve this problem.
BlastingOff
Medium
Medium

Postby ScarfVendetta » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:18 pm

BlastingOff wrote:
ScarfVendetta wrote:
Google wrote:Rolelists are a bigger problem imo

They don't bring balance. If you would like to play with 4 TS roles, join a custom game where there are such 4 TS roles or an All/Any game. 4 TS is too much for evils to handle, seeing as how 3/5 of them are insta confirmable, the other 2 not being so hard under some circumstances. This doesn't make it fun to play as evil, so a new rolelist is likely gonna solve this problem.

You should go get a refund on your sarcasm detector, I think it's faulty :ThinkEyes:
Just some Sheriff who didn't claim until Day 5, and has no leads whatsoever

No need to be alarmed...
ScarfVendetta
Summer 2020 Winner
Summer 2020 Winner

Postby BlastingOff » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:31 pm

ScarfVendetta wrote:
BlastingOff wrote:
ScarfVendetta wrote:
Google wrote:Rolelists are a bigger problem imo

You should go get a refund on your sarcasm detector, I think it's faulty :ThinkEyes:

Or people could just not use sarcasm on the internet, knowing that we aren't speaking with our mouths here
BlastingOff
Medium
Medium

Postby kosmo16 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:15 am

Bring back any to ranked. :)
Legacy Season Rank: Master
Season One Rank: Master
Season Two Rank: Diamond
Season Three Rank: Master
Season Four Rank: Master
kosmo16
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Jerme » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:02 pm

kosmo16 wrote:Bring back any to ranked. :)

I do not believe that this will happen, too much of a wildcard.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby JacksonVirgo » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:05 pm

I'd rather tactical kills be implemented and mafia slots similar to GF, MS, RM, RM over adding any back
Pronouns - They/Them

On-site FM Record: 11-0-11
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: VFM75 - Citizen - Win
Latest Scum Game: SFM79 - Coroner - Win
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 02.12.20 AEST
JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby kosmo16 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:27 pm

JacksonVirgo wrote:

I'd rather tactical kills be implemented and mafia slots similar to GF, MS, RM, RM over adding any back

I agree Mafia Support should be on the list, but Mafioso, Godfather should be there as well to secure 1 kill per night.
Legacy Season Rank: Master
Season One Rank: Master
Season Two Rank: Diamond
Season Three Rank: Master
Season Four Rank: Master
kosmo16
Jailor
Jailor

Postby orangeandblack5 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:09 pm

kosmo16 wrote:
JacksonVirgo wrote:

I agree Mafia Support should be on the list, but Mafioso, Godfather should be there as well to secure 1 kill per night.

Clearly you don't know what tactical kills are, as Mafioso would be entirely unnecessary to secure kills.
Spoiler:
SwampRabbit wrote:your idea is that no town should ever be able to confirm themselves as town.

that is the dumbest idea I think I have heard.

ElderSivart wrote:I'm confused as to why BMG made a UI for Pirate and not Hypnotist.

Sarah Thorpe wrote:Role Ideas is great for masochists.
orangeandblack5
Halloween 2017 Winner
Halloween 2017 Winner

Next

Return to Announcements