People make mistakes!

Post anything related to the game here!

People make mistakes!

Postby Mathelete » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:09 am

I was jailor. After executing 3 evils, I jailed someone who I don't recall claiming...then as soon as the night began I realized they were the rezzed BG. I'm like "sorry". Next day, the retri decided to lynch me for being a "dumb jailor". And it almost worked! There were 7 players and instead of lynching the last mafia, they voted me, and I got 3 votes!

Please, just because a townie makes a mistake does not mean you should gamethrow! The only time it's justified to kill a townie is if them being alive endangers town's chances of victory (such as a gamethrowing mayor, where vig has to shoot them to ensure town victory or town loses). Making a mistake is not gamethrowing, but lynching someone based on that mistake is!
Mathelete
Janitor
Janitor

Re: People make mistakes!

Postby JacksonVirgo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:11 am

I mean, having the Jailor execute a confirmed Town is frustrating as heck, especially in ranked so I understand their feeling. Though lynching you would be gamethrowing, so I agree with you.
Pronouns - They/Them

On-site FM Record: 11-0-11
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: VFM75 - Citizen - Win
Latest Scum Game: SFM79 - Coroner - Win
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 02.12.20 AEST
JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby destawaits » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:18 pm

You may have somehow gamethrew (you could have acted to protect the BG), but rarely should you fight fire with fire. Lynching a mayor gamethrowing through voting for confirmed townies, for example, would be justifiable. In this case, however, you didn't even have executions left, yet they still voted for you based on you "gamethrowing" instead of voting for the remaining scum, acting against their goal.

It's hard to determine what another player is thinking, especially when players pull off successful scumreads, which may seem to be random luck. I do try to put myself in their shoes and try to justify their actions instead of assuming the worst-case scenario, though. The same goes for mistakes in real life, because we're all human.

Spoiler:
destawaits
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Transcender » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:40 am

KatiyaKramer wrote:Under the rules for Trial when judging Gamethrowing reports, lynching you in that instance would NOT have been gamethrowing, because you were not "confirmed" Jailor. For roles to be confirmed, they need to be confirmed by the game itself (IE: revealed mayor, resurrected townie, and VIP). Unless the mode was VIP and you were the VIP, you were not confirmed at all in that instance, so that scenario of the town nearly lynching you would not have been gamethrowing. If you had executions left and had executed the rezzed BG, you would have been technically gamethrowing and could have been punished for such.

that was not the discussion point of this
you dont need to wave around trial system whenever gamethrowing is mentioned
Transcender
Recruiter
Recruiter

Postby williewest » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:49 pm

Google wrote:that was not the discussion point of this

Can't define gamethrowing without the rules or report system. Understanding what is or isn't GT is pretty much on point with the topic when discussing if it would be justifiable to lynch a jailor claim for "stupidity," so shut up exe.

Original topic: "This doesn't mean you should gamethrow."
Katiya: "It's not gamethrowing."
Just because you focus on a separate piece of the topic doesn't make it any less a part of the topic.
Everything in my signature is a clickable link
Spoiler: Discord: William#2527

williewest
Transporter
Transporter

Postby MysticMismagius » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:30 am

I think their point is that Katiya saying “it’s not technically GT” is a nitpick under the context. TECHNICALLY he wasn’t confirmed, TECHNICALLY it’s not GT by the Trial rulebook, but come on. Everyone there knew full well he was Jailor. They didn’t try to hang him because they thought he was evil, they tried to hang him because he did something really stupid and it pissed them off. One can argue that it was de facto throwing even though it was not de jure throwing.

Or you could cite the “killing a thrower is not throwing” rule to make the argument that it wouldn’t be throwing even if he was confirmed, if you want...
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby Transcender » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:15 am

williewest wrote:
Google wrote:that was not the discussion point of this

Can't define gamethrowing without the rules or report system. Understanding what is or isn't GT is pretty much on point with the topic when discussing if it would be justifiable to lynch a jailor claim for "stupidity," so shut up exe.

Original topic: "This doesn't mean you should gamethrow."
Katiya: "It's not gamethrowing."
Just because you focus on a separate piece of the topic doesn't make it any less a part of the topic.

Damn you and your rather good quote cutting abilities
Transcender
Recruiter
Recruiter

Postby Mathelete » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:04 pm

KatiyaKramer wrote:Under the rules for Trial when judging Gamethrowing reports, lynching you in that instance would NOT have been gamethrowing, because you were not "confirmed" Jailor. For roles to be confirmed, they need to be confirmed by the game itself (IE: revealed mayor, resurrected townie, and VIP). Unless the mode was VIP and you were the VIP, you were not confirmed at all in that instance, so that scenario of the town nearly lynching you would not have been gamethrowing. If you had executions left and had executed the rezzed BG, you would have been technically gamethrowing and could have been punished for such.

Everyone accepted that I was jailor, and tried to lynch me for that very reason. It was out of spite.
Mathelete
Janitor
Janitor

Postby James2 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:44 am

williewest wrote:Can't define gamethrowing without the rules or report system.

Gamethrowing refers to playing a game (generally some variant of mafia) to lose. It's meaning is independent of what behaviors a given video game company chooses to suspend or not suspend people for.
James2
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Transcender » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:55 am

James2 wrote:
williewest wrote:Can't define gamethrowing without the rules or report system.

Gamethrowing refers to playing a game (generally some variant of mafia) to lose. It's meaning is independent of what behaviors a given video game company chooses to suspend or not suspend people for.

You can throw any vs game.
Transcender
Recruiter
Recruiter

Postby lalasex » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:59 am

>you werent confirmed jailor

excuse me what
RIP Town of Salem 2017-2018

You will not be remembered

lalasex
Transporter