Stalemate Detector - WW vs Vet

Bug reports that aren't really bugs are stored here.

Stalemate Detector - WW vs Vet

Postby TwoPointInfinity » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:26 pm

In this scenario the game ends regardless of the vet having alerts. I played as Veteran, I had 1 alert left after the WW and I lynched the last mafia. The game ended immediately and I was confused. Why didn't the game play out and let me decide when to alert. If i had 2 alerts the game would've been my win for sure as i would alert on the nights WW can attack. But that isn't the case. This was a ranked game and I'm sure i had the WW convinced i was out of alerts.
BlankMediaGames please fix this scenario, the game win does not always belong to WW.
Let the game play out, WW should decide to draw game or risk it. If veteran only has 1 alert its up to him to use it on the first night against the ww or second. This game should play out for 3 days and that is okay.
GF vs Vet plays out.
Mafioso vs Vet plays out.
VETERAN VS ANYTHING (except ww) ALWAYS PLAYS OUT. So why does it end here? The ww only has basic defense and rampage basic attack. The veteran has powerful defense and wouldnt die on the night of ww visit. I would even rather the stalemate detector end in a draw but this scenario should play out.
TwoPointInfinity
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Re: Stalemate Detector - WW vs Vet

Postby MysticMismagius » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:30 pm

The Vet actually can’t win in this scenario. If you had alerted when the wolf could attack, you’d both kill each other and the game would end in a scummy draw. Because that’s kinda lame, the game just gives someone the win (in this case the WW, because WW wins are harder).
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby TwoPointInfinity » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:51 pm

I think most of the town would agree that the game is more fair ending as a draw than a win for ww, especially in a ranked game. If ww deserved the win he wouldn't be against the tk at the end.
TwoPointInfinity
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby MysticMismagius » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:53 pm

But a draw means everyone’s time has been wasted. A draw means all that effort went to nothing, nobody wins.

As for the “If WW deserved the win” argument, one could just as easily make the case that if the Veteran really deserved the win, they could have hanged the WW earlier.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby TwoPointInfinity » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:59 pm

exactly so the game should either play out or end in a draw immediately. Giving the win to someone just because they never get to win is just catering to those who often lose. An example of this that i can think of is when Epic Games added overpowered Mech robots to fortnite so normal casual players can win games though they didnt deserve them. Although obviously not as serious of an issue, this is still currently not in the right for both parties. The game shouldnt end for someone to win just because it was going to be a draw. Why have draws been declared worse than losing? Is the penalty for a draw the same as losing? If that is the case than what needs to be fixed is that draw shouldnt be a loss in terms of elo.
TwoPointInfinity
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby MysticMismagius » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:19 pm

It’s less “catering to those who lose” and more “draws suck so we’ll avoid situations where a draw is forced as much as possible.” Maybe you don’t agree with that philosophy, and that’s fine, but that’s the way the stalemate detector works.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby TwoPointInfinity » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:13 pm

It's really bad and my efforts shouldnt go into someone else winning just because some people don't like draws. This sounds like a bug.
TwoPointInfinity
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby MysticMismagius » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:34 pm

It's not a bug tho, it's literally designed to do this.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby JacksonVirgo » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:05 pm

If Town was so bad they let an NK survive until the end in a 1v1, Town deserves to lose. In a situation of WW/Vet, Town has a 0% chance of winning anyway, just give the win to them man.
Pronouns - They/Them

On-site FM Record: 11-0-11
Spoiler: Latest Town Game: VFM75 - Citizen - Win
Latest Scum Game: SFM79 - Coroner - Win
Latest Neutral Game: SFM72 - Failed Assassin - Win
Last updated 02.12.20 AEST
JacksonVirgo
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Jerme » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:03 pm

Moving this to not bugs since its intended behaviour.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Not Bugs