Suspend all accounts temporarily

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Suspend all accounts temporarily

Postby Yemac » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:46 am

(this is about MANNEQUIN THE UNBANNABLE)

Everyone's saying to reset all passwords, and while I fully agree with this, I do think there's an alternative, but I don't know if it's possible. Anyhow,

Suspend ALL accounts. Yes. All of them, BUT, give everyone with an e-mail account a new verification mail. This way, most people will be able to just quickly de-suspend their accounts. For the people who don't have an e-mail, they can give a little mail to BMG to get their account unsuspended, but have to verify an -email in the meantime.

On the other hand, resetting passwords is so much easier and the people who lost their account due to the reset can mail BMG anyhow. Plus, they should've thought of resetting their accounts anyway.

Idk. This problem of bots keeps coming back and the only way it gets stopped is by resetting/suspending everyone and building it up from the ground. I guess.
Yemac
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Re: Suspend all accounts temporarily

Postby Transcender » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:12 am

alot of people do not have an email set up to their account (because they use 10 minute emails). This will lock out a good segment of players so /nosupport
Transcender
Recruiter
Recruiter

Postby Soulshade55r » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:40 am

Google wrote:alot of people do not have an email set up to their account (because they use 10 minute emails). This will lock out a good segment of players so /nosupport

I think I'm locked out of my Tos email at this point /No Support <--- Goodbye me
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Transcender » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:44 am

Soulshade55r wrote:
Google wrote:alot of people do not have an email set up to their account (because they use 10 minute emails). This will lock out a good segment of players so /nosupport

I think I'm locked out of my Tos email at this point /No Support <--- Goodbye me

only like, 5 of my accounts would stay
Transcender
Recruiter
Recruiter

Postby Flavorable » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:53 am

This idea does not work.

There's like 6-ish million accounts. Sending out e-mails to ALL those 6-ish million accounts (which, mind you, they already did after the breach, but all those people who didn't change their password regardless disregarded or never ever read) costs thousands to tens of thousands dollars to do. Not to mention that the majority of people did change their password. And while I get the frustration, locking everyone out of their accounts is not a solution.

Not to mention that it's not like there's a button to suspend every single account ever made. We'd have to go through all accounts, find a report and guilty it to suspend them, then 1 or 2 people will have to work months, if not years, to get all those accounts sorted out and un-suspended.

I know that in theory some ideas seem like a "quick fix", but in reality, if it was that simple and easy, the problem would have been long-solved.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Brilliand » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:51 am

Flavorable wrote:Not to mention that it's not like there's a button to suspend every single account ever made. We'd have to go through all accounts, find a report and guilty it to suspend them, then 1 or 2 people will have to work months, if not years, to get all those accounts sorted out and un-suspended.

Well, obviously this would be a "call Achilles and ask him to run a direct SQL query" sort of proposal. Well, the "suspending" part anyway. I could definitely see the "sorting out" part taking too long.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Transcender » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:59 am

this is the kind of thing you could see making another controversy, admins need to stop deleting posts level or more
Transcender
Recruiter
Recruiter

Postby Jerme » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:06 am

The issue here would be that such an action could have a couple more sideeffects than you think, especially when its about tracking how a certain suspension was given. Doing it all Db side has effectively zero logging, so this would not not a good idea at all.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jaw0608 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:45 pm

You mods do realise the breach database is literally PUBLIC you could google it right now and get access to all 8 million of the breached accounts. And although the passwords are hashed and not in plaintext the encryption to it is a joke. 3 million accounts were unhashed in DAYS to give you a larger view. So do tell me how any troll that can get access to these accounts is better than doing a reset to their passwords to protect them from being used?
jaw0608

Postby OreoPies » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Flavorable wrote:Not to mention that the majority of people did change their password.

More moderators trying to stop the angry masses with bullshit like this. Shape saying it will be "better now". Flavor suggesting millions of users actually changed their passwords. Yeah no get real.
OreoPies
Jester
Jester

Postby Brilliand » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:15 am

OreoPies wrote:Flavor suggesting millions of users actually changed their passwords. Yeah no get real.

This part is probably true. There are enough users in the database for millions of users to change their password, and millions of other accounts to still be available for Mannequin to use.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby OreoPies » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:29 am

Brilliand wrote:
OreoPies wrote:Flavor suggesting millions of users actually changed their passwords. Yeah no get real.

This part is probably true. There are enough users in the database for millions of users to change their password, and millions of other accounts to still be available for Mannequin to use.

I can say with utmost certainty that out of 8 million breached accounts not even a million changed their password, let alone the MAJORITY. Do you honestly believe that millions of users before 2019 cared enough to change their town of Salem passwords upon seeing an email? Delusional. This game consistently gets only 1-2k concurrent players a day, maybe even less. It lost its hype ages ago. Not to mention most of these alt/throwaway accounts. Honestly I'm not sure why I even have to explain this thought it was obvious. Maybe TurdPile can shed some light, he is the only being real after all the rest are full of optimism or bullshit.
OreoPies
Jester
Jester

Postby Jerme » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:21 pm

I know that 3.1 million accounts received a forced reset. How many accounts changed their password before that, is something I do not know.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Suggestions