Sexual harassment in game and how to deal with it?

Ask questions you may have about the game here.

Sexual harassment in game and how to deal with it?

Postby PuppetPrincess » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:55 pm

I'm no stranger to bullying in game, but lately, it has taken a...disturbing twist.

First, I was in a game with "Solo". He died N2 as a Med claim in a Janitor game. I died the following night. Solo spent the dead chat harassing me. It started out with him just calling me the b-word and "trash", and my mom too, but then he moved on to talking about orally and sexually assaulting me and my mom. In an effort to defer him, I told him I was underage, but he refused to stop. No one would report him. They laughed or told me I was too sensitive.

Next game, him and "Castiel" start whispering me more assault threats. I get lynched, and as its happening I get a whisper about how my corpse is gonna be r*ped. Again, no one would report them.

This is not a level of harassment I can or should have to deal with, but if no one else will report them, they are just going to keep doing it. BMG keeps saying they take harassment seriously, so I want to know what I'm supposed to do.
PuppetPrincess
Lookout
Lookout

Re: Sexual harassment in game and how to deal with it?

Postby DragonClaw66 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:40 pm

As long as you have screenshots of the player's in-game name and username, you can report them here.
DragonClaw66
Summer 2019 Winner
Summer 2019 Winner

Postby PuppetPrincess » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:43 pm

Unfortunately, I can't. For one thing, if at least two people don't report them, the judges will just close the topic and say they weren't in the system. For another, you're only allowed to report "hate speech", and a very specific kind at that. Even if you are being told to kill yourself or called names, if they're not literal slurs, your topic will be closed, and you'll get a Board Warning. : ( That's why I'm at a loss.
PuppetPrincess
Lookout
Lookout

Postby PuppetPrincess » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:34 pm

I'm not super found of ignoring players in-game, especially when I'm still alive. That can cause problems.
PuppetPrincess
Lookout
Lookout

Postby Jerme » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:40 pm

Reporting the player would be one thign, the other could be ignoring the player, either by using the game's funcrionality, or just not reading their messages, unless its game related. That can help quite a bit, since mostly trolls require a kind of response as an incentive to continue, otherwise it would grow boring.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby PuppetPrincess » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:07 pm

I already said why I can't and don't want to ignore, and reporting does no good if only one person does it, which is far too often the case.
PuppetPrincess
Lookout
Lookout

Postby Jerme » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:40 am

I have you two option how to "ingore"
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby PuppetPrincess » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:05 pm

And I responded to them? : (
PuppetPrincess
Lookout
Lookout

Postby RetralMega » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:14 pm

The only ways you yourself can deal with this is by ignoring it and reporting it. That's it.
RetralMega
Patron
Patron

Postby peterparker » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:26 pm

PuppetPrincess wrote:I'm no stranger to bullying in game, but lately, it has taken a...disturbing twist.

First, I was in a game with "Solo". He died N2 as a Med claim in a Janitor game. I died the following night. Solo spent the dead chat harassing me. It started out with him just calling me the b-word and "trash", and my mom too, but then he moved on to talking about orally and sexually assaulting me and my mom. In an effort to defer him, I told him I was underage, but he refused to stop. No one would report him. They laughed or told me I was too sensitive.

Next game, him and "Castiel" start whispering me more assault threats. I get lynched, and as its happening I get a whisper about how my corpse is gonna be r*ped. Again, no one would report them.

This is not a level of harassment I can or should have to deal with, but if no one else will report them, they are just going to keep doing it. BMG keeps saying they take harassment seriously, so I want to know what I'm supposed to do.

Never take anything said online seriously and just report and ignore, just like any other online game. People like this(Threatening, Harassing Personally) deserve reports, and somehow decent people like me, get the hammer over stupid things like a single goofy username and they dont.
Tried To Make Salem Great Again! Town of Salem Advocate. Anti Spy and Disguiser Changes. Forever A Legend.
peterparker
Transporter
Transporter

Postby kyuss420 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:49 pm

PuppetPrincess wrote:Unfortunately, I can't. For one thing, if at least two people don't report them, the judges will just close the topic and say they weren't in the system. For another, you're only allowed to report "hate speech", and a very specific kind at that. Even if you are being told to kill yourself or called names, if they're not literal slurs, your topic will be closed, and you'll get a Board Warning. : ( That's why I'm at a loss.

Problem is, they arent just breaking the rules here, in many countries, theyre breaking the law. The judges would be foolish to ignore such a report
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Jerme » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:34 pm

PuppetPrincess wrote:And I responded to them? : (

Only to one option, the other to ignore what they say (or overlook it, as in "not feeding the troll") was not addressed, which is what I intended to remind you off.
peterparker wrote:Never take anything said online seriously and just report and ignore, just like any other online game. People like this(Threatening, Harassing Personally) deserve reports, and somehow decent people like me, get the hammer over stupid things like a single goofy username and they dont.

Please do not assume that others are left unpunished, because you were suspended for something. I believe we've dealt both with "Solo" and "Castiel" yesterday.
kyuss420 wrote:Problem is, they arent just breaking the rules here, in many countries, theyre breaking the law. The judges would be foolish to ignore such a report

I believe we do not ignore such report, when we see or notice them. But please keep in mind that we cannot act just by knowing only their ingame name.

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby PuppetPrincess » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:41 pm

kyuss420 wrote:
PuppetPrincess wrote:Unfortunately, I can't. For one thing, if at least two people don't report them, the judges will just close the topic and say they weren't in the system. For another, you're only allowed to report "hate speech", and a very specific kind at that. Even if you are being told to kill yourself or called names, if they're not literal slurs, your topic will be closed, and you'll get a Board Warning. : ( That's why I'm at a loss.

Problem is, they arent just breaking the rules here, in many countries, theyre breaking the law. The judges would be foolish to ignore such a report

The judges might not ignore the report, but the report can only go through if someone else reports them.

EDIT: I just got suspended for hate speech and harassment for falsely inciting reports against the guy I made this topic about. I'm gonna go appeal it now, but this kinda supports what I said here.
PuppetPrincess
Lookout
Lookout

Postby RetralMega » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:21 pm

PuppetPrincess wrote:EDIT: I just got suspended for hate speech and harassment for falsely inciting reports against the guy I made this topic about. I'm gonna go appeal it now, but this kinda supports what I said here.

You kept calling someone a pedophile for no reason. Yeah, that's harassment.

Whatever happened in a previous game doesn't matter to the game going on now. You brought the drama into the game not him.

Also, that 'Coo' shit is annoying af.
RetralMega
Patron
Patron

Postby PuppetPrincess » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:29 pm

Except that another user was ACTIVELY engaging in sexual conversation with a minor. A person who may or may not be that dude's alt. I was talking to him.
PuppetPrincess
Lookout
Lookout

Postby RetralMega » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:41 pm

PuppetPrincess wrote:Except that another user was ACTIVELY engaging in sexual conversation with a minor. A person who may or may not be that dude's alt. I was talking to him.

All I saw in the report on their side was defending themselves against your accusations.
Not saying it never happened just that it didn't happen in that game and all we see is the one game.
RetralMega
Patron
Patron

Postby PuppetPrincess » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:58 pm

Neither of them defended themselves. The report log clearly shows both of them engaging in harassment against me.
PuppetPrincess
Lookout
Lookout

Postby Shyyster » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:58 pm

RetralMega wrote:
PuppetPrincess wrote:Except that another user was ACTIVELY engaging in sexual conversation with a minor. A person who may or may not be that dude's alt. I was talking to him.

All I saw in the report on their side was defending themselves against your accusations.

Just realized the person making the comments wasnt Solo, but someone else.
TRIAL GANG GANG MEMBER
Shyyster
Easter 2020 Winner
Easter 2020 Winner

Postby PuppetPrincess » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:29 pm

The person who made the report that was guiltied was the someone else, who was Castiel. And Solo still said several nasty things of his own.
PuppetPrincess
Lookout
Lookout

Postby kyuss420 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:56 am

PuppetPrincess wrote:The person who made the report that was guiltied was the someone else, who was Castiel. And Solo still said several nasty things of his own.

Seems they have both been banned, even without your reports. System - 1, Trolls - 0
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby PuppetPrincess » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:57 am

Except I was also suspended. One of them reported me for “falsely” accusing the other of harassment. : (

How do you know they’ve been banned?
PuppetPrincess
Lookout
Lookout

Postby Shyyster » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:55 am

PuppetPrincess wrote:Except I was also suspended. One of them reported me for “falsely” accusing the other of harassment. : (

You can check via Discord if you're in the general ToS server.

The Castiel guy is permabanned and Solo is serving a week suspension.
TRIAL GANG GANG MEMBER
Shyyster
Easter 2020 Winner
Easter 2020 Winner

Postby RetralMega » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:04 am

PuppetPrincess wrote:Except I was also suspended. One of them reported me for “falsely” accusing the other of harassment. : (

It doesn't matter whether the accusations were true or false. The game isn't about that. Everyone involved broke a rule and everyone involved got punished for it. If anything it's a learning experience.
RetralMega
Patron
Patron

Postby PuppetPrincess » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:23 pm

But I didn’t break any rules.
PuppetPrincess
Lookout
Lookout

Postby mzann1 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:11 pm

PuppetPrincess wrote:But I didn’t break any rules.

You can try appeal it

mzann1
Transporter
Transporter

Next

Return to Ask Questions