Scrap the current lobby system

Put any feedback about the game here.

Scrap the current lobby system

Postby lilhomiegaythug » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:02 am

The 15 second rejoin rule ends up punishing people for exploring the other game modes :( people just stick to the same modes to avoid the awkward feeling of joining an empty room and waiting 15 seconds.

The lobby should show all of the current open games and number of players in each where you click on them once to show what roles are in that game mode, and then click a “Join” button to join that game.

It would look like this:
Classic:
- Normal
- - classic, 14/15
- - ranked practice, 7/15
- - ranked, 32 in queue
- Custom
- - JohnDoe32’s game, 3/11
- - JaneDoe01’s game, 14/15
- - Lucifer667’s game, 12/13
- Chaos
- - All Any, 10/15
- - Dracula’s Palace, 4/15
- - Rainbow, 4/15
Coven:
- Normal
- - classic, 14/15
- - ranked practice, 7/15
- - ranked, 32 in queue

Then, when you’re not in a room, let there be a public chat outside of the games. That way, people could organize.

The main plus of this would be to never ever never ever again have to deal with the terrible /repick thing for custom games. People would see the roles for each custom game in pop up window from the main lobby and choose the good ones. Let custom games expire after x minutes and not be able to change roles after you make it. This could also lead to more content for people to spend money on.

Imagine how much people would pay to collect all the roles to make their own custom games? All of the new custom games would keep ToS so fresh!
lilhomiegaythug
Survivor
Survivor

Re: Scrap the current lobby system

Postby Transcender » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:26 am

so you are suggesting a system like bonkio and Shellshock Live in a way? I like this but such a redesign can make people move away from the game despite how stupid that sounds. There is also the problem where less people will go into empty/small rooms and if what happens with bonkio happens here, it will cause people to get bored waiting for more players/too much filling up slightly bigger rooms, but since this works much differently and more like shellshock live I would expect it to work nicely if implemented well enough. As a result, /support.
Transcender
Recruiter
Recruiter

Postby lilhomiegaythug » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:04 am

Maybe instead of showing x/15 it could show 0~3 bars.

0 bars for 0 people. 1 bar for 1~5 people. 2 bars for 6~10 people. 3 bars for 11~14 people! that way, it will still look decently full even with 1 or 2 people in the lobby. It could also show thre # of active games of each type! That way, if there’s at least one coven ranked practice game goin, you can wait and know you’ll be able to catch the requeue. And while you’re waiting, maybe people will join you and get a 2nd going.
lilhomiegaythug
Survivor
Survivor

Postby kyuss420 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:25 am

Coven
-1 match going and half a lobby for chaos modes
-0-1 person in lobby for other modes

XD

World chat would probably help a bit in organising, as it is now its done by friending people and making a party, and hoping 3 or 4 randos join the ever empty lobby, but then there is a troll problem, so a world chat would have to be monitored by a GM 24/7.

Maybe a world chat with a 30sec - 1min timer between posts from the same user? Just to slow any trolling/spamming down.

Or a world chat for invites, where lobby host can click an ''invite'' button every 30 seconds (yes it will be abused by seeing how many host repicks and invites can be sent in a 30 second period) which will send a text to the world chat along the lines of "Coven classic needs 5 people. Join Now!'' and every 3 mins it can tally how many are queueing in ranked and send a message ''There are 2 people in Coven Ranked. Join Now!''
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby lilhomiegaythug » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:57 pm

kyuss420 wrote:Coven
-1 match going and half a lobby for chaos modes
-0-1 person in lobby for other modes

XD

World chat would probably help a bit in organising, as it is now its done by friending people and making a party, and hoping 3 or 4 randos join the ever empty lobby, but then there is a troll problem, so a world chat would have to be monitored by a GM 24/7.

Maybe a world chat with a 30sec - 1min timer between posts from the same user? Just to slow any trolling/spamming down.

Or a world chat for invites, where lobby host can click an ''invite'' button every 30 seconds (yes it will be abused by seeing how many host repicks and invites can be sent in a 30 second period) which will send a text to the world chat along the lines of "Coven classic needs 5 people. Join Now!'' and every 3 mins it can tally how many are queueing in ranked and send a message ''There are 2 people in Coven Ranked. Join Now!''

Those are really good ideas. Right now, ToS feels pretty disconnected. The people who play VIP mode in coven vs the people who play Classic mode for instance. I didn't know that people even played VIP mode for a few months after I got Coven.
lilhomiegaythug
Survivor
Survivor

Postby Tharok » Fri May 03, 2019 7:51 pm

Maybe not this entire idea, but I agree that the 15 second lock out can end up doing more harm than good. These days especially it seems as though certain modes take the length of an entire game to fill up, so I want to cycle through the other game modes to see which is the closest to beginning. However, there still needs to be a buffer against people who will continuously leave a lobby to prevent it from starting until they are placated.
Oh, alright, cool, well you seem fun.
Firestorm wrote:"When you put a bunch of broken pieces together in the right way, suddenly they don't seem so broken anymore."

Professor Farnsworth wrote:"Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything."

Favorite Role: Transporter
Favorite Pro Wrestler: RobVanDam
Favorite Book: "The Magician's Nephew" by C.S. Lewis
Tharok
Transporter
Transporter

Postby Brilliand » Wed May 08, 2019 7:05 pm

Tharok wrote:However, there still needs to be a buffer against people who will continuously leave a lobby to prevent it from starting until they are placated.

This problem should be solved separately, imo. A buffer isn't the best solution here; it would be better to either give the host more powers (i.e. to switch a lobby to "not accepting more players" at any time), or to instantly switch in a player from a newer lobby (for the same gamemode) when a player leaves. The former would be more appropriate for Custom, the latter would be more appropriate for every other gamemode (and is approximately how Ranked works already).
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Tharok » Fri May 10, 2019 6:51 pm

No, I disagree. The host definitely should not have the most power. Maybe a separate system can be created where a host can create the lobby and then do whatever they want unchecked, but for casual play the repick the host feature still has its benefits. If nothing else, we could just have the host choose people to get kicked for certain intervals of time and the lobby can vote on whether or not to let that happen. It is never preferable to give one person too much control unless everyone else knows what they are getting themselves into.
Oh, alright, cool, well you seem fun.
Firestorm wrote:"When you put a bunch of broken pieces together in the right way, suddenly they don't seem so broken anymore."

Professor Farnsworth wrote:"Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything."

Favorite Role: Transporter
Favorite Pro Wrestler: RobVanDam
Favorite Book: "The Magician's Nephew" by C.S. Lewis
Tharok
Transporter
Transporter

Postby Brilliand » Fri May 10, 2019 8:48 pm

Tharok wrote:No, I disagree. The host definitely should not have the most power. Maybe a separate system can be created where a host can create the lobby and then do whatever they want unchecked, but for casual play the repick the host feature still has its benefits. If nothing else, we could just have the host choose people to get kicked for certain intervals of time and the lobby can vote on whether or not to let that happen. It is never preferable to give one person too much control unless everyone else knows what they are getting themselves into.

The check on the host's power would be that if they set the lobby to "no longer accepting new players", everyone can just go into a different lobby that that host doesn't control.

A system where the host can accuse specific people and the lobby can then "lynch" them would not come even close to stopping multiaccounters who spam join/leave.

Total control over one automatically generated lobby isn't a big deal, there will always be more automatically generated lobbies.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby lilhomiegaythug » Mon May 13, 2019 11:26 pm

Tharok wrote:Maybe not this entire idea, but I agree that the 15 second lock out can end up doing more harm than good. These days especially it seems as though certain modes take the length of an entire game to fill up, so I want to cycle through the other game modes to see which is the closest to beginning. However, there still needs to be a buffer against people who will continuously leave a lobby to prevent it from starting until they are placated.

If someone leaves a Ranked Practice Coven lobby, they should make a second lobby when they rejoin ranked practice, the first having priority in filling up with new members. Once you leave a lobby, that's it.

You can give people access to the world chat from the lobbies even. It's weird that waiting for a game takes you into a separate page. You should be able to queue for a game in the background while talking to the other people who are waiting.
lilhomiegaythug
Survivor
Survivor

Postby Brilliand » Tue May 14, 2019 3:18 am

lilhomiegaythug wrote:
Tharok wrote:Maybe not this entire idea, but I agree that the 15 second lock out can end up doing more harm than good. These days especially it seems as though certain modes take the length of an entire game to fill up, so I want to cycle through the other game modes to see which is the closest to beginning. However, there still needs to be a buffer against people who will continuously leave a lobby to prevent it from starting until they are placated.

If someone leaves a Ranked Practice Coven lobby, they should make a second lobby when they rejoin ranked practice, the first having priority in filling up with new members. Once you leave a lobby, that's it.

This is a good idea. Could result people repeatedly leaving lobbies because they want to be a host, but that would only be mildly disruptive.

EDIT: Actually this would probably be too harsh for the slow-filling lobbies. For the fast-filling lobbies, this mechanism would solve several problems at once.
Last edited by Brilliand on Tue May 14, 2019 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Flavorable » Tue May 14, 2019 3:38 am

lilhomiegaythug wrote:

You can give people access to the world chat from the lobbies even. It's weird that waiting for a game takes you into a separate page. You should be able to queue for a game in the background while talking to the other people who are waiting.

The problem with this is: What if someone joins a lobby and then thinks "Oh crap, I forgot my scrolls/customization/whatever."
They will be forced into an empty lobby.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby lilhomiegaythug » Sat May 18, 2019 12:26 am

Flavorable wrote:
lilhomiegaythug wrote:

The problem with this is: What if someone joins a lobby and then thinks "Oh crap, I forgot my scrolls/customization/whatever."
They will be forced into an empty lobby.

They need to SCRAP the lobby system. People don't need to be in a new window to be waiting for a game to fill up. Let people shop, talk to friends, talk to a global chat perhaps.... and yes, equip scrolls while waiting.
lilhomiegaythug
Survivor
Survivor

Postby lilhomiegaythug » Sat May 18, 2019 12:28 am

Brilliand wrote:
lilhomiegaythug wrote:

This is a good idea. Could result people repeatedly leaving lobbies because they want to be a host, but that would only be mildly disruptive.

EDIT: Actually this would probably be too harsh for the slow-filling lobbies. For the fast-filling lobbies, this mechanism would solve several problems at once.

Or implement the 15 second rule for rejoining the same game but allow people to instantly join a different type of lobby or a second lobby of the same type. There are tons of better ways to address this than to cling to the crappy design of the original lobby system we have now.
lilhomiegaythug
Survivor
Survivor

Return to Feedback