Re: New Monthly Update! 5/6/19

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Postby shapesifter13 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:40 pm

Hey Townies,

The Steam port of the game is coming along great! We have quite a few screenshots to share with you all to showcase the new look that will be coming with the Unity port.

Chat log/Day timer:

The chat log when opened will now open up on the left side to allow users to still see what is happening on the game screen, such as who is on the stand. We have also changed how the days and time left in the day are displayed at the top of the screen. You can see the day is displayed on the left, there is an icon indicating what phase it currently is, and the time on the right with a bar that depletes as the time counts down.

Tab minimizing, and expanding:

When a tab is hidden it is more obvious what buttons will bring that tab back up, and if you hide your role card it will expand the player list to fill up most of the right side of the screen. Clicking a player will bring up the options for targeting this player. This includes taunting, whispering, targeting(when possible), muting, and reporting. There is now multiple menus that you can swap between that include all living players, your teammates(that are known), and the targeting menu. The teammates tab will show users their fellow Mafia, Coven, or revived Townies, and revealed Mayors. This information is also displayed on the all living players tab, but if you want to take a quick glance at just who is on your team you can switch to the teammates tab.

Home Screen:

The home screen has changed up a little. The icons on the left hand side have been updated with new art, and the layout of the different "tiles" on the homepage showing special deals or news have been updated. Your account name is no longer displayed on this screen, but is shown in the profile page for each user.

Profile Page:

Speaking of profile pages, there is now one. This page will show you your name, whether you own Steam, Coven, or Web Premium. It also displays your referrals, scrolls and taunts in three different displays that you can tab between. This page also has a button to purchase a name change to make it more obvious that this option is available.

Victory Screen:

There is now a new screen before you go to the end game lobby after a game. This victory screen will show your wins, losses, and draws, your games needed until you can play Ranked, and your Ranked Practice games needed to play Ranked. There is also a very cool animation leading up to the reveal of this screen.

End Game Screen

The new end game screen will show the same things as the victory screen in the first tab. The second tab will be the player list, with the ability to add friends or report from the end game screen.

Edit: Made image sizes not gigantienormous(Gigantic + Enormous, they were really that big)
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Re: Re: New Monthly Update! 5/6/19

Postby Chemist1422 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:50 pm

Those are some large images
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?
(still here for danganronpa i guess)

stop sending reports to me i'm not a tos game moderator
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby MysticMismagius » Mon May 06, 2019 9:33 pm

One thing that instantly bothers me is the fact that there’s a scroll bar on the “All living players” tab. With the current UI, there’s no need for scrolling, you can see all the information you need except the chat log and your will/DN at a glance. This kind of thing makes the new UI feel like “mobile but tweaked” rather than a UI designed for people on computers. The PC game does not need any scrolling in any place but the chat log.
I also noticed that the graveyard is closed, so I can’t see if it blocks the chatbox to look at it. Glad it’s back in the corner though.

With that said, I do like how the new UI streamlines the information you get on the side tabs, even if having to scroll through the right tab is bothersome. I was never a huge fan of the Mafia/Coven/Whatever box that shows up in the center-right side of the screen whenever the game needs to tell you who your teammates are. It’s much better to have your teammates’ roles under their name on the list. Also, praise the lord Jesus the chat log isn’t in the fucking middle where it blocks wills. Thank you. That bugged the crap out of me.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby shapesifter13 » Mon May 06, 2019 11:02 pm

Chemist1422 wrote:Those are some large images

Fixed the image sizes a bit.

MysticMismagius wrote:One thing that instantly bothers me is the fact that there’s a scroll bar on the “All living players” tab. With the current UI, there’s no need for scrolling, you can see all the information you need except the chat log and your will/DN at a glance. This kind of thing makes the new UI feel like “mobile but tweaked” rather than a UI designed for people on computers. The PC game does not need any scrolling in any place but the chat log.
I also noticed that the graveyard is closed, so I can’t see if it blocks the chatbox to look at it. Glad it’s back in the corner though.

With that said, I do like how the new UI streamlines the information you get on the side tabs, even if having to scroll through the right tab is bothersome. . . praise the lord Jesus the chat log isn’t in the fucking middle where it blocks wills. Thank you. That bugged the crap out of me.

It really was a fight of making information quickly available by having the screen cluttered, or make a scrolling Ui with everything that we wanted. With PC, after testing, we might feel that we can shrink some things so they can be smaller and it won't scroll anymore, or at certain resolutions there may not need to be scrolling. Even with the little scrolling required we feel that relevant information is more closely available rather than having to dart your eyes all over the screen.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby Transcender » Tue May 07, 2019 1:34 am

that home screen has alot of space for advertising things like tp packs
Transcender
Recruiter
Recruiter

Postby Soulshade55r » Tue May 07, 2019 3:58 am

Hopefully some role balance after this

*Cough* Spy, Town Power, Framer, Disguiser, Neutral Killing, Neutral evils, The whole of coven, apart from hypno and Tracker *Cough*
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Yosh1123 » Tue May 07, 2019 5:20 am

Will there be a beta for the steam version, like the mobile version?
Yosh1123
Civilian
Civilian

Postby BasicFourLife » Tue May 07, 2019 6:17 am

Soulshade55r wrote:Hopefully some role balance after this

*Cough* Spy, Town Power, Framer, Disguiser, Neutral Killing, Neutral evils, The whole of coven, apart from hypno and Tracker *Cough*

literally everything, but dw no changes will be made
RNG is never good for any strategy based game. Please learn the definition of what that means, especially if you're one of the people constantly defending it.

FM / TG: 5 - 10 - 8
BasicFourLife
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby TurdPile » Tue May 07, 2019 10:05 am

Google wrote:that home screen has alot of space for advertising things like tp packs

I do come in friendly bite-sized packs. ;)
I have mostly rescinded my role as Admin.

All previous contact should instead be redirected to Flavorable.

If your inquiry doesn't directly have to do with Trial 2.0 or TrialBot, then please refrain from messaging.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Postby Transcender » Tue May 07, 2019 10:18 am

TurdPile wrote:
Google wrote:that home screen has alot of space for advertising things like tp packs

I do come in friendly bite-sized packs. ;)

this is harassment
this is basicfourlife levels of harassment
levels that shouldn't even be possible
Transcender
Recruiter
Recruiter

Postby dinospider7 » Tue May 07, 2019 6:38 pm

When your parents block ToS on your computer :(
Goes by Spork, White Reaper from Savior of Salem Kickstarter
Has never won a game on executioner
dinospider7
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby ColbyBryant » Tue May 07, 2019 8:20 pm

I know unity would be an engine overhaul but would a legacy UI be available?

Some of these UI changes seem counter intuitive for Salem on PC and just from a visual perspective I think I highly prefer the current UI.

Also does the red font in the endgame screen look extremely difficult to read for anyone else?
Former S3 and S4 top10 in ranked

----------------Subscribe to https://youtube.com/user/Vsefotonz on Youtube---Copy and paste this rignt now!!!
ColbyBryant
Transporter
Transporter

Postby GeniusWind » Tue May 07, 2019 8:37 pm

ColbyBryant wrote:I know unity would be an engine overhaul but would a legacy UI be available?

+1. I also prefer the current UI due to sentiments. Plus the new UI is obviously designed primarily for mobile experience.

I'm personally more excited about upgrades to backend than UI - like ELO system fix (link: /viewtopic.php?f=7&t=95204 ); ending season 4 and starting a new ranked season 5 etc.

Although, I am proud to say that I'm rated over 3000 in ranked season (more than Magnus Carlsen's FIDE chess ELO rating). I'd be proud but so is most of the regular players (some of who are passive and bad players)
Dislike: Passive 50 IQ low elo trash punks, eZ

Stats: Spoiler: Legacy Season: Silver ELO (hiatus after a week from season beginning; played months during prelegacy)
Season 3: ~2700 ELO [~ 52.8%]
Season 4: 3115 ELO [28.6% to 58%(max) ~ 54.5%]

----------------Subscribe to https://youtube.com/user/Vsefotonz on Youtube---Copy and paste this rignt now!!!
GeniusWind

Postby BasicFourLife » Wed May 08, 2019 12:35 am

dinospider7 wrote:When your parents block ToS on your computer :(

I applaud them. They’ve done a great deed to humanity and you.

GeniusWind wrote:
ColbyBryant wrote:I know unity would be an engine overhaul but would a legacy UI be available?

+1. I also prefer the current UI due to sentiments. Plus the new UI is obviously designed primarily for mobile experience.

I'm personally more excited about upgrades to backend than UI - like ELO system fix (link: /viewtopic.php?f=7&t=95204 ); ending season 4 and starting a new ranked season 5 etc.

Although, I am proud to say that I'm rated over 3000 in ranked season (more than Magnus Carlsen's FIDE chess ELO rating). I'd be proud but so is most of the regular players (some of who are passive and bad players)

Elo means absolutely nothing in this game. Don’t act like it does.
RNG is never good for any strategy based game. Please learn the definition of what that means, especially if you're one of the people constantly defending it.

BasicFourLife
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby Soulshade55r » Wed May 08, 2019 3:46 am

BasicFourLife wrote:
dinospider7 wrote:When your parents block ToS on your computer :(

I applaud them. They’ve done a great deed to humanity and you.

GeniusWind wrote:

Elo means absolutely nothing in this game. Don’t act like it does.

Elo can screw you over espically if you do bad in your placement games.

But I havent played for awhile
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Flavorable » Wed May 08, 2019 4:07 am

Moderator Message: Let's keep this on the topic of Unity and not let this turn into a discussion about elo.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sting » Thu May 09, 2019 11:06 pm

Not a big fan of the new UI; especially the fonts. Looks too cartoonish for me but I understand getting the game ported is priority.

Would definitely work on the legacy skin if feasible like others have suggested; at least in game. The menus are mostly fine but again the font/colour scheme of the end lobby could be better.
Sting
Medium
Medium

Postby MysticMismagius » Sat May 11, 2019 10:06 am

Sting wrote:Not a big fan of the new UI; especially the fonts. Looks too cartoonish for me but I understand getting the game ported is priority.
I’ve never understood people complaining about this. Did you forget how cartoony everything else in the game looks? The UI is just being adjusted to match, and it looks more fitting now.
MysticMismagius
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby MeganG » Sat May 11, 2019 12:26 pm

I've started to get used to the new UI what with playing on the mobile a few times and not being able to get to my PC. One thing that I'm looking forward to with the port is the ability to click on names to whisper/mute/report players. Find it much easier that way and also reduces the risk of accidentally saying something out loud instead of by whisper!

Also, is there any news on when the beta will be ready? I've been hearing that there's going to be an update at the beginning of June, is that when the port will be released so can we expect beta in the upcoming weeks?
MeganG
Jester
Jester

Postby Flavorable » Sat May 11, 2019 1:16 pm

MeganG wrote:I've started to get used to the new UI what with playing on the mobile a few times and not being able to get to my PC. One thing that I'm looking forward to with the port is the ability to click on names to whisper/mute/report players. Find it much easier that way and also reduces the risk of accidentally saying something out loud instead of by whisper!

Also, is there any news on when the beta will be ready? I've been hearing that there's going to be an update at the beginning of June, is that when the port will be released so can we expect beta in the upcoming weeks?

There is no official ETA announced yet, so any rumors you have heard are exactly that: rumors.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Sat May 11, 2019 3:12 pm

Not necessarily anything issue-wise with regards to the normal community and their experiences with the game, but it looks like the '__ has left the game' have turned yellow, similar to our system announcements. Will the system commands be given a different color, or are we grouping the leaving messages with the System Messages group, and all will be yellow?

Also, I agree, the final end-screen looks really hard to read. I'm hoping this is due to Brandon trying to fix the image sizes, and they lost quality, making the red look awful. Otherwise I'd suggest changing it to a different shade of red, or a new color all together.
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BasicFourLife » Sun May 12, 2019 1:07 am

i agree, this UI looks absolutely terrible.

BasicFourLife
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby Jerme » Sun May 12, 2019 5:16 am

BasicFourLife wrote:i agree, this UI looks absolutely terrible.

PLease add reasoning, as in, why don't you like it and maybe offer some improvements?
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby PleaseReadSiege » Sun May 12, 2019 5:31 pm

I don't get why we need 2 end screens. All of that information could fit on one screen, and then you don't need an extra click to move on to the next game.
PleaseReadSiege
Investigator
Investigator

Postby BasicFourLife » Mon May 13, 2019 12:00 pm

Jerme wrote:
BasicFourLife wrote:i agree, this UI looks absolutely terrible.

PLease add reasoning, as in, why don't you like it and maybe offer some improvements?

it looks like youre playing on mobile, scrolling on the right, too cartoonish

BasicFourLife
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Next

Return to Announcements