The Mafioso Skin: An Honest Critique

Post anything related to the game here!

The Mafioso Skin: An Honest Critique

Postby yummyporkchops » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:03 pm

I do not mean to offend, but I'm going to be very direct.

Ever since the release of the new skins, this one in particular has bothered me a bit. Why is he black? His design just seems very random and out of place for his role.

Let's compare him with the Poisoner. In BMG's story, the Witch opens a portal and finds herself "upon the wide plains of Africa." That is how we're introduced to the Poisoner, and common sense tells us she's black or of African descent unless specified otherwise. Her design makes sense, and I loved her the moment I saw her.

Now back to the mafioso. In BMG's story, the Witch arrives in Sicily, Italy. Our mafia is obviously Sicilian, and The Don reveals to the Witch she's in the year 1952. The Italian mafia was never known for inducting non-Italians--at most, non-Italians could become associates of the Family, but never made men. Of course BMG has magic and supernatural creatures so everything won't be historically accurate... but you even have the Godfather skin referencing the movie, who is also Sicilian.

To me, it's almost as if BMG threw in a black guy to appease those who argued for more diverse, "non-white" skins. I don't have anything against more diversity, but to me, the mafioso's design doesn't make sense at all. How much thought was put behind him? Anyone else care to share their thoughts?
yummyporkchops
Witch
Witch

Re: The Mafioso Skin: An Honest Critique

Postby genericnpc » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:32 pm

Spoiler: BMG had to otherwise they'd get sued
genericnpc
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby swagmm23 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:37 am

genericnpc wrote:BMG had to otherwise they'd get sued

For what?
swagmm23
Investigator
Investigator

Postby Descender » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:13 am

(insert camelhumphs that I wont use)because they would be racist

in a game about salem
Possibly known as TodaysStory
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby yummyporkchops » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:11 pm

I figured that would be BMG's reason lol, but for the people that took the time to comment (and thank you for that), how do you personally feel about the skin? I honestly had high expectations for it, so this has been a great disappointment for me.
yummyporkchops
Witch
Witch

Postby Descender » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:13 pm

I really dont care, as long as I have mine Im good
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby YecatsMailbox » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:25 pm

You need to be inclusive otherwise everyone cries racism.
YecatsMailbox
Executioner
Executioner

Postby McJohn » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:47 am

I don't honestly see a point to this thread? I'm black irl, but I don't think this game is popular or mainstream enough to scream racism for not having many different diverse characters. It doesn't really have to fit their story unless BMG wants it too anyway. I think hes an awesome character whether whatever color he is and this shouldnt affect the game otherwise. I'm also kind of concerned at the fact that you feel pretty disturbed of this skin for any particular reason to make a thread about it just to call out it for not fitting in with their story.
McJohn
Survivor
Survivor

Postby Descender » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:45 pm

wait if you are black irl what are you online

Some people just really care about lore, y'know?
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby yummyporkchops » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:02 am

McJohn wrote:I don't honestly see a point to this thread? I'm black irl, but I don't think this game is popular or mainstream enough to scream racism for not having many different diverse characters. It doesn't really have to fit their story unless BMG wants it too anyway. I think hes an awesome character whether whatever color he is and this shouldnt affect the game otherwise. I'm also kind of concerned at the fact that you feel pretty disturbed of this skin for any particular reason to make a thread about it just to call out it for not fitting in with their story.

The point of this thread is to share my critique of the skin and for others to share their thoughts about it as well. I mean, hopefully that's what people infer from the title.

It's less about the story and more about the overall design being sub-par. I can't be the only one who envisions a full blooded Italian when I think of the Italian Mafia--again, even the Godfather skin references Vito Corleone. The Mafioso card design was the perfect design for the role and fits far better than the one we have now, hands down. Obviously not all the designs from the card game carried over, and a lot of the ones ingame make references to shows and movies, but what the hell is this?

Hopefully your concern has diminished at this point.

(P.S. no, characters don't need a reason to be a certain race, but in this case, it doesn't make sense for him to be anything else other than Italian... unless BMG found their calling after reading that mOrE nOn-wHiTe sKiNs pLs thread)

Helicooler wrote:wait if you are black irl what are you online

kek
yummyporkchops
Witch
Witch

Postby McJohn » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:40 am

yummyporkchops wrote:
McJohn wrote:I don't honestly see a point to this thread? I'm black irl, but I don't think this game is popular or mainstream enough to scream racism for not having many different diverse characters. It doesn't really have to fit their story unless BMG wants it too anyway. I think hes an awesome character whether whatever color he is and this shouldnt affect the game otherwise. I'm also kind of concerned at the fact that you feel pretty disturbed of this skin for any particular reason to make a thread about it just to call out it for not fitting in with their story.

The point of this thread is to share my critique of the skin and for others to share their thoughts about it as well. I mean, hopefully that's what people infer from the title.

It's less about the story and more about the overall design being sub-par. I can't be the only one who envisions a full blooded Italian when I think of the Italian Mafia--again, even the Godfather skin references Vito Corleone. The Mafioso card design was the perfect design for the role and fits far better than the one we have now, hands down. Obviously not all the designs from the card game carried over, and a lot of the ones ingame make references to shows and movies, but what the hell is this?

Hopefully your concern has diminished at this point.

(P.S. no, characters don't need a reason to be a certain race, but in this case, it doesn't make sense for him to be anything else other than Italian... unless BMG found their calling after reading that mOrE nOn-wHiTe sKiNs pLs thread)

Helicooler wrote:wait if you are black irl what are you online

kek

I understand your point. Maybe they just wanted his character to be unique in the game or they had different designs made for the character, and made a vote on which design looks the best. We'll never know, but I agree with your point about how the godfather matches up with vito corlone. So it is kind of weird for mafioso not to be italian/sicilian.
You can try making your own story for him like I did if that helps like his mother moved to Italy and he was born never knowing who his father was, but when he discovered his father was italian (who also was in the mafia) he decided to take up a life of crime to join the mafia just like his father thus becoming a mafioso.
McJohn
Survivor
Survivor

Postby yummyporkchops » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:27 am

Apologies for the late reply.

That's a very reasonable, yet unfortunate conclusion that I am no stranger of: making tweaks/major changes to a pre-existing concept until we're satisfied with what we turned it into. I'm sure many of us subconsciously do this, but at that point it's less about the original concept and more about our personal adaptations.

Perhaps I'm being overly critical about ToS, but now that I've been away for a bit, my hype for the game has greatly diminished. I don't see myself being very active here in the forums anymore. It was lovely speaking with you.
yummyporkchops
Witch
Witch

Return to Town of Salem Discussion