The Mafioso Skin: An Honest Critique

Post anything related to the game here!

The Mafioso Skin: An Honest Critique

Postby yummyporkchops » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:03 pm

I do not mean to offend, but I'm going to be very direct.

Ever since the release of the new skins, this one in particular has bothered me a bit. Why is he black? His design just seems very random and out of place for his role.

Let's compare him with the Poisoner. In BMG's story, the Witch opens a portal and finds herself "upon the wide plains of Africa." That is how we're introduced to the Poisoner, and common sense tells us she's black or of African descent unless specified otherwise. Her design makes sense, and I loved her the moment I saw her.

Now back to the mafioso. In BMG's story, the Witch arrives in Sicily, Italy. Our mafia is obviously Sicilian, and The Don reveals to the Witch she's in the year 1952. The Italian mafia was never known for inducting non-Italians--at most, non-Italians could become associates of the Family, but never made men. Of course BMG has magic and supernatural creatures so everything won't be historically accurate... but you even have the Godfather skin referencing the movie, who is also Sicilian.

To me, it's almost as if BMG threw in a black guy to appease those who argued for more diverse, "non-white" skins. I don't have anything against more diversity, but to me, the mafioso's design doesn't make sense at all. How much thought was put behind him? Anyone else care to share their thoughts?
Image
User avatar
yummyporkchops
Survivor
Survivor
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:55 pm
Location: in your kitchen cabinet

Re: The Mafioso Skin: An Honest Critique

Postby genericnpc » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:32 pm

Spoiler: BMG had to otherwise they'd get sued
by clicking the above spoiler you agree that you are willing to view said post and you shall not be offended by said post
genericnpc
Bodyguard
Bodyguard
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:17 pm

Re: The Mafioso Skin: An Honest Critique

Postby swagmm23 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:37 am

genericnpc wrote:BMG had to otherwise they'd get sued


For what?
Image
User avatar
swagmm23
Bodyguard
Bodyguard
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:48 am
Location: 0.23 Miles away from a Job Fair

Re: The Mafioso Skin: An Honest Critique

Postby Helicooler » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:13 am

(insert camelhumphs that I wont use)because they would be racist

in a game about salem
Call Me Duck.
Need Anything? PM Me.

COME JOIN HELL!
User avatar
Helicooler
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:55 am
Location: This Forum, Duh! *Laugh Track*

Re: The Mafioso Skin: An Honest Critique

Postby yummyporkchops » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:11 pm

I figured that would be BMG's reason lol, but for the people that took the time to comment (and thank you for that), how do you personally feel about the skin? I honestly had high expectations for it, so this has been a great disappointment for me.
Image
User avatar
yummyporkchops
Survivor
Survivor
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:55 pm
Location: in your kitchen cabinet

Re: The Mafioso Skin: An Honest Critique

Postby Helicooler » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:13 pm

I really dont care, as long as I have mine Im good
Call Me Duck.
Need Anything? PM Me.

COME JOIN HELL!
User avatar
Helicooler
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:55 am
Location: This Forum, Duh! *Laugh Track*

Re: The Mafioso Skin: An Honest Critique

Postby YecatsMailbox » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:25 pm

You need to be inclusive otherwise everyone cries racism.
YecatsMailbox
Jester
Jester
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:53 pm

Re: The Mafioso Skin: An Honest Critique

Postby McJohn » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:47 am

I don't honestly see a point to this thread? I'm black irl, but I don't think this game is popular or mainstream enough to scream racism for not having many different diverse characters. It doesn't really have to fit their story unless BMG wants it too anyway. I think hes an awesome character whether whatever color he is and this shouldnt affect the game otherwise. I'm also kind of concerned at the fact that you feel pretty disturbed of this skin for any particular reason to make a thread about it just to call out it for not fitting in with their story.
User avatar
McJohn
Survivor
Survivor
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:17 pm

Re: The Mafioso Skin: An Honest Critique

Postby Helicooler » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:45 pm

wait if you are black irl what are you online

Some people just really care about lore, y'know?
Call Me Duck.
Need Anything? PM Me.

COME JOIN HELL!
User avatar
Helicooler
Veteran
Veteran
 
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:55 am
Location: This Forum, Duh! *Laugh Track*

Re: The Mafioso Skin: An Honest Critique

Postby yummyporkchops » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:02 am

McJohn wrote:I don't honestly see a point to this thread? I'm black irl, but I don't think this game is popular or mainstream enough to scream racism for not having many different diverse characters. It doesn't really have to fit their story unless BMG wants it too anyway. I think hes an awesome character whether whatever color he is and this shouldnt affect the game otherwise. I'm also kind of concerned at the fact that you feel pretty disturbed of this skin for any particular reason to make a thread about it just to call out it for not fitting in with their story.


The point of this thread is to share my critique of the skin and for others to share their thoughts about it as well. I mean, hopefully that's what people infer from the title.

It's less about the story and more about the overall design being sub-par. I can't be the only one who envisions a full blooded Italian when I think of the Italian Mafia--again, even the Godfather skin references Vito Corleone. The Mafioso card design was the perfect design for the role and fits far better than the one we have now, hands down. Obviously not all the designs from the card game carried over, and a lot of the ones ingame make references to shows and movies, but what the hell is this?

Hopefully your concern has diminished at this point.

(P.S. no, characters don't need a reason to be a certain race, but in this case, it doesn't make sense for him to be anything else other than Italian... unless BMG found their calling after reading that mOrE nOn-wHiTe sKiNs pLs thread)


Helicooler wrote:wait if you are black irl what are you online

Some people just really care about lore, y'know?


kek
Image
User avatar
yummyporkchops
Survivor
Survivor
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:55 pm
Location: in your kitchen cabinet

Re: The Mafioso Skin: An Honest Critique

Postby McJohn » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:40 am

yummyporkchops wrote:
McJohn wrote:I don't honestly see a point to this thread? I'm black irl, but I don't think this game is popular or mainstream enough to scream racism for not having many different diverse characters. It doesn't really have to fit their story unless BMG wants it too anyway. I think hes an awesome character whether whatever color he is and this shouldnt affect the game otherwise. I'm also kind of concerned at the fact that you feel pretty disturbed of this skin for any particular reason to make a thread about it just to call out it for not fitting in with their story.


The point of this thread is to share my critique of the skin and for others to share their thoughts about it as well. I mean, hopefully that's what people infer from the title.

It's less about the story and more about the overall design being sub-par. I can't be the only one who envisions a full blooded Italian when I think of the Italian Mafia--again, even the Godfather skin references Vito Corleone. The Mafioso card design was the perfect design for the role and fits far better than the one we have now, hands down. Obviously not all the designs from the card game carried over, and a lot of the ones ingame make references to shows and movies, but what the hell is this?

Hopefully your concern has diminished at this point.

(P.S. no, characters don't need a reason to be a certain race, but in this case, it doesn't make sense for him to be anything else other than Italian... unless BMG found their calling after reading that mOrE nOn-wHiTe sKiNs pLs thread)


Helicooler wrote:wait if you are black irl what are you online

Some people just really care about lore, y'know?


kek


I understand your point. Maybe they just wanted his character to be unique in the game or they had different designs made for the character, and made a vote on which design looks the best. We'll never know, but I agree with your point about how the godfather matches up with vito corlone. So it is kind of weird for mafioso not to be italian/sicilian.
You can try making your own story for him like I did if that helps like his mother moved to Italy and he was born never knowing who his father was, but when he discovered his father was italian (who also was in the mafia) he decided to take up a life of crime to join the mafia just like his father thus becoming a mafioso.
User avatar
McJohn
Survivor
Survivor
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:17 pm

Re: The Mafioso Skin: An Honest Critique

Postby yummyporkchops » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:27 am

Apologies for the late reply.

That's a very reasonable, yet unfortunate conclusion that I am no stranger of: making tweaks/major changes to a pre-existing concept until we're satisfied with what we turned it into. I'm sure many of us subconsciously do this, but at that point it's less about the original concept and more about our personal adaptations.

Perhaps I'm being overly critical about ToS, but now that I've been away for a bit, my hype for the game has greatly diminished. I don't see myself being very active here in the forums anymore. It was lovely speaking with you.
Image
User avatar
yummyporkchops
Survivor
Survivor
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:55 pm
Location: in your kitchen cabinet


Return to Town of Salem Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests