Does using info from previous games count as cheating?

Ask questions you may have about the game here.

Does using info from previous games count as cheating?

Postby ylyxa » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:32 am

So I rolled BMer and saw this: https://imgur.com/a/CcLJs0f

Is this considered cheating? Reeks of "sharing information outside the game" and "communicating in a way that can’t be understood by the players in the current locale".
ylyxa
Jester
Jester

Re: Does using info from previous games count as cheating?

Postby itaicool » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:32 pm

Yeah it is cheating. You are only allowed to use or discuss info of current game. If someone reported them for cheating I am pretty sure it would be a guilty report.
itaicool
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby kyuss420 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:34 am

sooooo sheriff checking someone n1 because the guy was coven 4 games in a row, and likely using scrolls is cheating? Pirate pirating a guy n1 because he knows the guy sidestepped n1 in the last game is cheating?

Just saying..... a lot of info from previous games is always used in games. I know my friends are coven when they are making the moves I usually win with n1 and n2, because I know the newer players have never thought that much into it, to pull off those moves. If I see coven making dumb moves, I dont bother checking players that know better... I know what plays evil roles should be making, like a lot of people. if they dont make them, its not those people playing the role XD
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Jerme » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:30 am

Using a codelanguage thats based on previous games is considered cheating as far as I've picked up.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby PrincessKira » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:44 pm

This seems obvious, however, it is far from obvious. Take for example a player whom you see in ranked games a lot. Once they are jailor, they always start their sentence with the word "Now" and they also add the ',' character at least once during the jailing process. That player also uses a limited variety of names, therefore, having played long enough, you will know exactly that they are the jailor. Now what you do with this information is up to you, however, if you are an evil role with killing potential, you might want to make use of that information. Is that to be considered cheating? Good luck with proving it. This is more of an unconscious, repeating behaviour. You notice it and make use of it, in the end, it would be difficult not to make use of it once you learned the secret. Since this is extremely hard to prove this "abuse", as long as you are smart with your wording, there is no way to get caught. Take this into consideration the next time you play and observe the game flow.
Joined Oct. 2014 - Master Elo player, not like it means anything nowadays. :)
PrincessKira

Postby Descender » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:19 pm

I think the question being asked here is what is the line between really good scumreading and skill and abusing your playtime with certain players.
Possibly known as TodaysStory
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Jerme » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:27 pm

The current question is, if using events happening in past games (in this case a role claim) to directly inform a specific person about something (in this case their role).
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Ask Questions