Why lynch or execute a known Executioner?

Discuss the newest strategies involving the game in a professional manner and spread your knowledge

Why lynch or execute a known Executioner?

Postby ShylokVakarian » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:30 pm

I've been playing a lot of Classic. It's fairly mindless, so it's kinda fun. But I've been getting executed/lynched a lot as Executioner. When I end up claiming Executioner, I'm getting executed/lynched because I'll "side with Mafia", even though I say I'll vote with town, or willingly reveal my target. I've even had similar results playing as Jester, but with less lynching and more executing, for obvious reasons. Methinks we consider Executioners and Jesters as scum a bit too much when all they are are wildcards. :roll:
ShylokVakarian
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Why lynch or execute a known Executioner?

Postby LtMisty » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:29 am

It's simple not worth the risk keeping them around, especially when town doesn't have any other leads to go on.

In my ranked matches, usually NE sides with maf ''cause they have helped'' or whatever reason, and to lose cause you didn't execute/lynch the NE early in the game, is just a shame.
LtMisty
Survivor
Survivor

Postby ShylokVakarian » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:55 pm

True, but Jesters and Exes are a whole lot swingier than you think. I just now played a game as Jailor where a blatant jester (and an invest confirmed for me that they were a jester) was asking everyone for roles, and we were down to 5 people left alive in town, with an SK. He had who the SK could've been narrowed down to two people: Me, and the real SK. He legit helped me so much that halfway through voting on the guilt of the SK, I said "wait, inno", and voted up the jester instead, saying he deserved to win too. I executed the SK that night, along with the jester haunting them because the power of friendship is stronger (*DING!*). It was a good game. Even the SK and mafioso were pretty chill about losing.
ShylokVakarian
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Crimson97 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:21 am

In order to help Exe, town must lynch one of their owns and lose a valuable day which is not always viable.
In order to help jester, town must trust that the jester will kill who they told them to.
The more time it passes, the less likely it is for town to do these things because in late game numbers matter. This is why both of these roles are more likely to side with mafia. Mafia needs that extra vote from the exe and in the process they get a mislynch. They need to distract town with the jester, so they can remain alive one more night and hopefully get a town killed in the process. Most of the time it's a lot safer for them to side with mafia and that's why town doesn't want them alive. They're just too much of a wild card and, in order to help them, town needs to lose something.

Spoiler:
Crimson97
[Forum Mafia XVIII] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVIII] Winner

Postby ShylokVakarian » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:14 am

Crimson97 wrote:In order to help Exe, town must lynch one of their owns and lose a valuable day which is not always viable.
In order to help jester, town must trust that the jester will kill who they told them to.
The more time it passes, the less likely it is for town to do these things because in late game numbers matter. This is why both of these roles are more likely to side with mafia. Mafia needs that extra vote from the exe and in the process they get a mislynch. They need to distract town with the jester, so they can remain alive one more night and hopefully get a town killed in the process. Most of the time it's a lot safer for them to side with mafia and that's why town doesn't want them alive. They're just too much of a wild card and, in order to help them, town needs to lose something.

Yeah, but I've seen plenty of jesters and exes that quite simply don't care about winning and just chill. Mind you, I'm not talking about Ranked, but rather Classic and Ranked Practice. In Ranked, it can be pretty much guaranteed that everyone there is trying their hardest to win. Not so with Classic and Ranked Practice. You can usually easily tell who's trying to win as exe or jester and who is just chilling solely by their behavior. And yet everyone kills them off the first chance they get, which also wastes time town could be using to look for the actual scum. Even with a jailor execution, it wastes an execution that could've been used on a more appropriate scum role. I get buying a day near the end if you're running out of time, but that's not what's going on. I get that they side with mafia a lot, but they waste time early on that they could use for more pressing matters, not to mention that in Classic and Ranked Practice, there are exes and jesters that just chill instead of doing anything to win.

It just doesn't make logical sense at the casual level.
ShylokVakarian
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Feefa » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:02 am

What you say;

"I'm Executioner. My target is John Hathorne. I'll help town."

What this means (even if you don't intend it to);

"Hey mafia and NK. Don't kill John Hathorne for the first couple of nights, then we'll gang up and take away town's majority."
Born with a heart full of neutrality.
Feefa
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby ClassyCatMeow » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:46 pm

There’s also the fact that pretty much all NE claims are guaranteed not to be town. I’ve seen mafia members pretend to be NE but I almost never seen townies do the same. It’s almost never appropriate to claim NE as town.
ClassyCatMeow
Jester
Jester

Postby TechnoMotown » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:07 pm

The problem here is that anyone who is not town is expendable to town, meaning they can kill them without any significant penalty (besides, probably wasting a night). Most townies do not really have foresight and just like to go with the simplest option. I have seen town waste so much time trying to kill a Witch that they lost majority and Mafia won, but they made sure that Witch lost.
lemonader666 wrote:Is your name a parody of Technoblade?

The United States had a record snowfall of 189 inches in 20141959.
Darhk wrote:I am going to kick my own ass."

I am the One True Morty.
TechnoMotown
Transporter
Transporter

Postby Descender » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:48 am

If you think someone is jester or there is an exe who has won, try to make a deal with them, especially jester. Surprisingly, a lot of jesters keep their word if you whisper them about helping them win if they will kill a certain person.

You should try to make a deal with the exe because they won't want to leave and lose their points when they die, but they don't won't to go afk.
Possibly known as TodaysStory
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Chemist1422 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:52 pm

Helicooler wrote:If you think someone is jester or there is an exe who has won, try to make a deal with them, especially jester. Surprisingly, a lot of jesters keep their word if you whisper them about helping them win if they will kill a certain person.

You should try to make a deal with the exe because they won't want to leave and lose their points when they die, but they don't won't to go afk.

meh

As exe, I'll try to harm town after winning (provided I'm not lynched right after)
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?
(still here for danganronpa i guess)

stop sending reports to me i'm not a tos game moderator
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby Descender » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:32 am

Chemist1422 wrote:
Helicooler wrote:If you think someone is jester or there is an exe who has won, try to make a deal with them, especially jester. Surprisingly, a lot of jesters keep their word if you whisper them about helping them win if they will kill a certain person.

meh

As exe, I'll try to harm town after winning (provided I'm not lynched right after)

This does not work in All-Any at all. That is my mode of specialty so my suggestions may be slightly off, I know in Ranked if exes harm the townies, that will not end well for the exe, and so goes the endless cycle of dead exes that could save the game. You really need to break the loop if you want to have fun AFTER winning as exe.
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby kyuss420 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:56 am

what i wanna know is, why does maf kill the guy the exe is pushing on, losing a vote in the process?
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Descender » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:54 pm

I have never heard of this.
Ever.

Mafia could think that they are sherrif, or they just picked them out of random.
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby greenrabbit7 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:41 pm

The problem is, when I lynch exe claims, you have no way of knowing if it’s an exe or a dumb evil. Reguardless nothing is lost if the exe dies. As such, there’s no reason to keep the exe alive.
greenrabbit7
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby kosmo16 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:02 am

greenrabbit7 wrote:The problem is, when I lynch exe claims, you have no way of knowing if it’s an exe or a dumb evil. Reguardless nothing is lost if the exe dies. As such, there’s no reason to keep the exe alive.

Why dumb?
Legacy Season Rank: Master
Season One Rank: Master
Season Two Rank: Diamond
Season Three Rank: Master
Season Four Rank: Master
kosmo16
Jailor
Jailor

Postby greenrabbit7 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:40 am

kosmo16 wrote:
greenrabbit7 wrote:The problem is, when I lynch exe claims, you have no way of knowing if it’s an exe or a dumb evil. Reguardless nothing is lost if the exe dies. As such, there’s no reason to keep the exe alive.

Why dumb?

Claiming exe and asking to have your target lynched is a surefire way to either get yourself lynched and not technically win, meaning you’d lose your immunity if ww/arso/sk/gf and you’re likely to be shot. By vig. Because even when I get my targetlynched I get shot.
greenrabbit7
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby Descender » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:45 pm

just, dont claim exe.

claiming jester is ok though.
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby kosmo16 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:45 pm

greenrabbit7 wrote:
kosmo16 wrote:

Why dumb?

Claiming exe and asking to have your target lynched is a surefire way to either get yourself lynched and not technically win, meaning you’d lose your immunity if ww/arso/sk/gf and you’re likely to be shot. By vig. Because even when I get my targetlynched I get shot.

Oh, you mean claim exe before lynching target. Ok, that is dumb.
Legacy Season Rank: Master
Season One Rank: Master
Season Two Rank: Diamond
Season Three Rank: Master
Season Four Rank: Master
kosmo16
Jailor
Jailor

Postby greenrabbit7 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Yeah, and ALWAYS claim exe right after a lynch. you need to be sure you're lynching a townie though
greenrabbit7
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby TechnoMotown » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:51 pm

This makes sense, and definitely works as a legitimate strategy. However, it is not a guarantee that a Jester will keep their word, and the Exe could always turn on town whenever. So, these types of things will require caution to be exercised. Every Jester is different and every Exe is different. This truly is a roleplaying game, as much as it can be anyway.

I am the One True Morty.
TechnoMotown
Transporter
Transporter

Postby Mathelete » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:49 pm

An exe is a vote against town. They are neutral EVIL.
Mathelete
Janitor
Janitor

Postby ICECLIMBERS » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:04 pm

Don’t claim any role that isn’t town.
Spoiler: Image

in the distance the shelves
rode three shadows of blue
ICECLIMBERS
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner
[Forum Mafia VII] Winner

Postby TechnoMotown » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Mathelete wrote:An exe is a vote against town. They are neutral EVIL.

Not necessarily. Yes, this is the case until they lynch their target, but afterwards many Executioners have been known to vote with the town.

I am the One True Morty.
TechnoMotown
Transporter
Transporter

Postby Descender » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:33 pm

Getting an exe on your side is on your side and them not being trolly is the point I play hard game modes.

Just kidding, it's one of them, but I also like the challenge of all-any.
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Mathelete » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:53 am

ICECLIMBERS wrote:Don’t claim any role that isn’t town.

Unless you're amnesiac. That's a good claim cause it will usually get TP/LO on you. Town loves amnesiacs cause they balance the odds in their favor.
Mathelete
Janitor
Janitor

Next

Return to Strategic Discussion