Artist

Old Role Ideas

Artist

Postby fwogcarf » Sun May 20, 2018 8:53 am

This is a repost of a role I posted in a role pact a while ago. I just want some feedback on it before I might scrap it.

Role Name: Artist
Role Alignment: Town Support
Attributes: If someone visits you, they will receive the latest picture you painted (i.e. You painted Night 1, someone visits you Night 2 and gets that picture)
No one receives paintings Night 1
Abilities: Each night, choose to paint a picture of what you saw. You can only do this three times
-If a member of the Mafia visited you, you will paint a picture of a gun
-If an Arsonist visited you, you will paint a picture of a torch
-If a Town role visited you, you will paint a picture of what their role corresponds to (i.e. Lookout - eye, Spy - Magnifying Glass)
Goal: Town Goal
Speed: 3
Wins with: Town, Survivor
Special Attributes: None
Investigative Results: Your target is a Lookout, Artist, Forger, or Witch
Additional Information (comments): If a Serial Killer, Werewolf, Pestilence or a member of the Coven visit you, you will not have time to paint a picture of what you saw.

The things that are bolded are ideas which I'm not sure about
Last edited by fwogcarf on Wed May 23, 2018 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M79vYZu-WIKrW0WQ0pCISBq66DeBfSir5T7RCuy0OWY/edit?usp=sharing
We are creators of our own future

We are supporters of forces against despair

We defend against the evils of the world

We are guardians, we are strong
fwogcarf
Retributionist
Retributionist

Re: Artist

Postby Villagerlover » Sun May 20, 2018 12:15 pm

I....I like the idea but....I just think the role might've been approached from the wrong angle.

You see, the reason this is not really a good town role is because...

A) It confirms there is an Artist (cause everyone is going to see the paintings), and confirming roles is not a good thing.
B) It confirms other roles that would've normally been undetectable. (For instance, you can't really prove someone is a sheriff until they accuse someone of being Mafia, town lynches the target, and they were right. But with this role, you could confirm the presence of a sheriff before they even find anyone, and that's a big problem for evil roles since it gives them less of a chance to lie about stuff).

Perhaps if the concept itself was applied differently? I'm not really sure how though...
Wanna say somethin'? >B3
PM
Villagerlover
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby fwogcarf » Sun May 20, 2018 12:17 pm

Villagerlover wrote:I....I like the idea but....I just think the role might've been approached from the wrong angle.

A) It confirms there is an Artist (cause everyone is going to see the paintings), and confirming roles is not a good thing.
B) It confirms other roles that would've normally been undetectable. (For instance, you can't really prove someone is a sheriff until they accuse someone of being Mafia, town lynches the target, and they were right. But with this role, you could confirm the presence of a sheriff before they even find anyone, and that's a big problem for evil roles since it gives them less of a chance to lie about stuff).

Perhaps if the concept itself was applied differently? I'm not really sure how though...

Yeah I see what you mean, and I'm going to think about that.

Thanks for the feedback tho
Spoiler: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M79vYZu-WIKrW0WQ0pCISBq66DeBfSir5T7RCuy0OWY/edit?usp=sharing

fwogcarf
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Villagerlover » Sun May 20, 2018 12:20 pm

fwogcarf wrote:
Villagerlover wrote:I....I like the idea but....I just think the role might've been approached from the wrong angle.

Yeah I see what you mean, and I'm going to think about that.

Thanks for the feedback tho

Course! ^u^
Wanna say somethin'? >B3
PM
Villagerlover
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby fwogcarf » Mon May 21, 2018 7:02 am

The role has been updated

fwogcarf
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby fwogcarf » Tue May 22, 2018 5:33 pm

/bump because i am bored

fwogcarf
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Seththeking » Wed May 23, 2018 6:46 am

I like this! /Support

Nothing real more to say, I mean it's a good idea and a concept not brung up yet.
Seththeking
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Swiftairball » Wed May 23, 2018 7:03 am

What you could do with it is make it so that you can paint three times just like all the other roles like Vet, Jani and Forger. Then you can still confirm but then it's harder to confirm more. Maybe give Arsonist a buff with painter such as it's one of the lower detectable roles like if 2 people visit the painter and they paint that night then you can see the other role instead of the Arsonist cause Arsonist is already hard to win as. You could even do where you can only reveal paintings to one or two players so than it would want town to confirm some roles so that the Painter is a lot more useful.
Swiftairball

Postby fwogcarf » Wed May 23, 2018 7:06 am

Swiftairball wrote:What you could do with it is make it so that you can paint three times just like all the other roles like Vet, Jani and Forger. Then you can still confirm but then it's harder to confirm more. Maybe give Arsonist a buff with painter such as it's one of the lower detectable roles like if 2 people visit the painter and they paint that night then you can see the other role instead of the Arsonist cause Arsonist is already hard to win as. You could even do where you can only reveal paintings to one or two players so than it would want town to confirm some roles so that the Painter is a lot more useful.

I see your point there. From what I'm thinking right now is a priority list with Town roles first, then Mafia, then Neutrals

Let me know if that's ok

fwogcarf
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Swiftairball » Wed May 23, 2018 7:12 am

fwogcarf wrote:
Swiftairball wrote:What you could do with it is make it so that you can paint three times just like all the other roles like Vet, Jani and Forger. Then you can still confirm but then it's harder to confirm more. Maybe give Arsonist a buff with painter such as it's one of the lower detectable roles like if 2 people visit the painter and they paint that night then you can see the other role instead of the Arsonist cause Arsonist is already hard to win as. You could even do where you can only reveal paintings to one or two players so than it would want town to confirm some roles so that the Painter is a lot more useful.

I see your point there. From what I'm thinking right now is a priority list with Town roles first, then Mafia, then Neutrals

Let me know if that's ok

I don't think I understand where you're getting at with the priority could you elaborate?
Swiftairball

Postby fwogcarf » Wed May 23, 2018 7:17 am

Swiftairball wrote:
fwogcarf wrote:

Let me know if that's ok

I don't think I understand where you're getting at with the priority could you elaborate?

So what I'm asking is if should I make Town the highest priority visit with this role, Mafia the second, and Neutral roles the third (not counting Coven here)?

Here let me give you an example
Let's say a Blackmailer and Lookout visit the Artist. The Artist will then paint a picture of a magnifying glass (Lookout) because Town has higher priority over Mafia. If it was vice versa I feel this role would be too OP

fwogcarf
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Swiftairball » Wed May 23, 2018 7:20 am

That's exactly what I mean but if Mafia/Neutral visit the target it should be a 50/50 chance because if a BM visits the Artist night 1 obviously town's gonna know there is a BM
Swiftairball

Postby fwogcarf » Wed May 23, 2018 9:57 am

Ok. I did update the role but I'm still working on the priority levels

fwogcarf
Retributionist
Retributionist

Return to Role Idea Archives