Locksmith - Town Protective

Suggest new roles or changes to current roles for the game here.

1-5 Rate it :D

1.Great TG Material
27%
2.Its Good(Specify)
23%
3.Neutral (Not good, Not bad)
23%
4.Its Bad - Needs Changing(Specify)
5%
5.Terrible(Specify)
23%

Total votes : 22

Locksmith - Town Protective

Postby Element83 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:51 am

Alignment - Town [Protective]

Description - "You are a Amateur Craftsmen specialized in Locks to keep out the Evil of Salem! "

Ability - Install locks on the doors of peoples houses to keep out the evil.

Attack - None
Defence - None

Attribute(s) -
-Install a lock on one persons door each night.
-Only Evil's ( Mafia, NE, NK, Coven) will see if a person has a lock on them(Small lock icon next to the person name)

-You have a cooldown ever two nights.(Needs thoughts on this idea)
-While a lock is on a person house they can not directly attack the player.
-To remove a lock you will have to sacrifice a night to pick it to remove it and a evil can pick atleast 1 lock if they wont use there ability that night.
-Locks can only last 2 nights at a time.
-You can only place one lock on yourself

Additional information -
-The Mafia can not kill and pick a lock on a person at the same time.
Spoiler: Example -
N1 -
Mafia plan to kill jimmy
Locksmith plans to place a lock on jimmy
D2 - Jimmy lives

-After a lock expires they can not have a lock on them for 2 nights after it expires
-You can not place a lock more than 2 times on a person (2 locks per person)
-Locked players can still be witched.
-Astral attacks will kill regardless if there is lock.
-If a evil tries to kill a person with a lock on them they will break the lock except
-You cannot place a lock on a confirmed Mayor
-A lock installment has priority over a kill
-Your Self Protection only lasts 1 night and counts as a basic defense
-If there is only ONE Mafia/Coven member remaining in the game the NK and NC will now be able to pick a lock and kill on the same night BUT they can not pick a lock and kill the same person who they picked the lock off of
Example -
Spoiler: D5 - One mafia remains and One Sk remains
N5 - Sk Picks and kills jimmy
D6 - That action fails
N6 - Sk Picks a lock off of billy and kills jimmy
D7 - Actions are successful

-Each Faction can only pick one lock at a time

-How a faction decides who is going to be picking a lock
Explanation - Spoiler: If Mafia are going to pick a lock then the first mafia who wants to pick a lock will do it but if he cancels that action then the second person who wanted to pick a lock will do it instead of the first person (Note - This is revolved around a mech which gives each person with a lock on then a small lock icon which is seen by the mafia which they can choose who to pick a lock)

Special Attributes
-Unique

Invest - Need help in this!
Consig/Witch - Your target's pockets are filled with springs and gears, they must be a Locksmith!

Special Interactions -
-If a Mafia attacks a player with a lock on them it will break.
-The SK can break a lock but not attack the player.
-WW can break a lock but not attack the player but if someone is visiting the WW's target the WW will kill the visitor
-WW Mechanic will not work the same for Mafia
-Arsonist can douse the player regardless of a lock

Goal - Same as Town...

Messages -
-"You will install a lock on --Player Name--'s door"
-"Someone has Picked a lock on --Player Name--'s door"
-"Someone has broken a lock on --Player Name--'s door"
Other Side
-"Someone has broken your lock!"
-"Your doors lock has been picked!"

Achievements
Town
Wat is a lok? - Win 1 game as a Locksmith .
Click Click, the lock works - Win 5 game as the Locksmith.
I think I know what I am doing - Win 10 games as the Locksmith.
Certified Locksmith - Win 25 Games as a Locksmith.
DEAD Bolt - Have a player die from a astral attack with a lock on them

Evil
Easzy Peazy - Pick 1 lock
Child's Play - Pick 5 Locks
Locksmith Apprentice - Pick 10 Locks
Certified Evil - Pick 25 Locks
Helping hand?? - Pick a lock for your Faction

Comments
-Need invest result

Edits
-13th of April is the day of posting
-15th - I fixed some major problems
-16th - Added more color and added achievements
Last edited by Element83 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 34 times in total.
Check out my Role/Faction Ideas
-Locksmith
-Mysophob
-Torturer

"Crusader, Psychic, Blackmailer, Jailor, Spy and the Coven are all balanced roles/Factions"
-Mystic

JK

Needs some help with an up-coming faction, go to Faction Development to get some help with it!
https://discord.gg/YNfVpZ5 (Perm Link This time)
Element83
Witch
Witch

Location: Under your bed slowly eating the skin cells that fall off of you... :)

Re: Locksmith - Town Protective - Poll

Postby SkyW » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:06 pm

Alright, here's the problem with this one.

1. It's better than the other TP's
2. It's worse than the other TP's
3. The second one might be false

This probably doesn't make any sense, but here's how it works. You can apply a lock to anyone (preferably yourself) and say "hey I locked myself" and boom, you are now confirmed. The meta of the game will instantally recognize that the first locked player = the locksmith, and it will become weird if you lock someone else. You are now effectively you're own TP, and if there's an additional TP/LO on you you can just catch anyone who attacks you and removes your lock. LO will report them for attacking you (and everyone will know you were attacked) and the TP will save you from death when you're lock is temporarily down. Jailer can also protect you during this downtime, and collect all the claims. Just start a whisper game on day 2 and rake in that easy bake oven win. This means that you're better than the other TP roles, because you can just start a SECOND confirmed townie besides the Jailer/TPower.

However, it could also be worse than the doctor when it comes to being a protective role.

If you can only have one lock active at a time, then it's worse than a doctor as the evils will know who not to attack and know that if they attack them twice they can get the kill. Also because the fact it takes a day to switch targets.

If you can have multiple locks active at a time, then it's a better doctor as if the evils try to pick and then kill you now have 2 more locks set up, but if they ignore it then you have a slow army of locks building up. Also because multi-protecting TP roles are garbage.

Truth is, there's no way for this to work. The evils knowing who they can attack without resistance and allowing them to pick the lock will either result in a worse or better doctor.

/nosupport It's horribly confirmable and a bad TP to boot.
Professional ??? Rambler (average NYC subway rider)

There is a frog outside go check it out please it's such a cool frog
SkyW
Jester
Jester

Location: West Philadelphia born and raised On the playground was where I spent most of my days Chillin' out

Postby Mystoc » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:07 pm

hey guys im locksmith ill put a lock on john house this night to prove it, next day lock icon appears next to john, oh hey that guy didnt lie hes confirmed

also its like trapper but doesn't take a night to do and confirm itself i hope only lock can be active on a person at time otherwise even more OP. this is very strong on mayor

only evils would visit a locked persons house so LO can easily spot this, since evils can only pick the lock, is that right?

to simalar to trapper and confirmable to boot /nosupport
Mystoc
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Element83 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:46 pm

SkyW wrote:Alright, here's the problem with this one.

1. It's better than the other TP's
2. It's worse than the other TP's
3. The second one might be false

This probably doesn't make any sense, but here's how it works. You can apply a lock to anyone (preferably yourself) and say "hey I locked myself" and boom, you are now confirmed. The meta of the game will instantally recognize that the first locked player = the locksmith, and it will become weird if you lock someone else. You are now effectively you're own TP, and if there's an additional TP/LO on you you can just catch anyone who attacks you and removes your lock. LO will report them for attacking you (and everyone will know you were attacked) and the TP will save you from death when you're lock is temporarily down. Jailer can also protect you during this downtime, and collect all the claims. Just start a whisper game on day 2 and rake in that easy bake oven win. This means that you're better than the other TP roles, because you can just start a SECOND confirmed townie besides the Jailer/TPower.

However, it could also be worse than the doctor when it comes to being a protective role.

If you can only have one lock active at a time, then it's worse than a doctor as the evils will know who not to attack and know that if they attack them twice they can get the kill. Also because the fact it takes a day to switch targets.

If you can have multiple locks active at a time, then it's a better doctor as if the evils try to pick and then kill you now have 2 more locks set up, but if they ignore it then you have a slow army of locks building up. Also because multi-protecting TP roles are garbage.

Truth is, there's no way for this to work. The evils knowing who they can attack without resistance and allowing them to pick the lock will either result in a worse or better doctor.

/nosupport It's horribly confirmable and a bad TP to boot.

We talked in discord so i dont have to explain my self

hey guys im locksmith ill put a lock on john house this night to prove it, next day lock icon appears next to john, oh hey that guy didnt lie hes confirmed - Why would you want to confirm yourself anyway, your just making your self a target

also its like trapper but doesn't take a night to do and confirm itself i hope only lock can be active on a person at time otherwise even more OP. this is very strong on mayor - Fixed

only evils would visit a locked persons house so LO can easily spot this, since evils can only pick the lock, is that right? - Yes and Fixed

to simalar to trapper and confirmable to boot /nosupport
-Locksmith
-Mysophob
-Torturer

"Crusader, Psychic, Blackmailer, Jailor, Spy and the Coven are all balanced roles/Factions"
-Mystic

JK

Needs some help with an up-coming faction, go to Faction Development to get some help with it!
Element83
Witch
Witch

Location: Under your bed slowly eating the skin cells that fall off of you... :)

Postby timurtheking » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:30 am

Isnt this a weaker doctor
Check out my ideas:
The Philosophers (New Faction)
Witch Change/buff

Just remembering the good times when this forum was alive :))

Best known for; hosting The Room FG series and being the Right Hand of Game's Hub
timurtheking
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Element83 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:44 am

timurtheking wrote:Isnt this a weaker doctor

Doc gives his target a powerful defense
the locksmith does not give a defence
-Locksmith
-Mysophob
-Torturer

-Mystic

JK

Element83
Witch
Witch

Postby timurtheking » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:34 am

Element83 wrote:

so he makes the target fully immune until lockpicked? and can lock people unlimited times isn't that op?
Check out my ideas:
Witch Change/buff

Best known for; hosting The Room FG series and being the Right Hand of Game's Hub
timurtheking
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Element83 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:37 am

timurtheking wrote:
Element83 wrote:

so he makes the target fully immune until lockpicked? and can lock people unlimited times isn't that op?

wtf lol no they can only have a lock on them for 2 times
look at the role again m8 XD
-Locksmith
-Mysophob
-Torturer

-Mystic

JK

Element83
Witch
Witch

Postby timurtheking » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:42 am

Element83 wrote:
timurtheking wrote:
Element83 wrote:

but u can in theory lock the whole town.
Check out my ideas:
Witch Change/buff

timurtheking
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Element83 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:55 am

timurtheking wrote:
Element83 wrote:
timurtheking wrote:
Element83 wrote:

but u can in theory lock the whole town.

no you cant
Cause there is a expiration date on a lock
-Locksmith
-Mysophob
-Torturer

-Mystic

JK

Element83
Witch
Witch

Postby Element83 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:47 am

Need some more feed back please and i added achievements plus more colors to it
:D
and it REALLy needs a invest result
-Locksmith
-Mysophob
-Torturer

-Mystic

JK

Element83
Witch
Witch

Postby BasicFourLife » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:11 pm

It’s a Trapper which doesn’t kill the attackers nor finds out the roled which visit his target. Also since evils know there is a lock on someone you will never block any attacks and make it so evils know who to attack or easily.
RNG is never good for any strategy based game. Please learn the definition of what that means, especially if you're one of the people constantly defending it.

FM / TG: 5 - 10 - 8
BasicFourLife
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby Manhax » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:46 pm

Too weak.

You could just attack and lockpick in the same night using different Mafia roles, which would make the role completely useless compared to more consistent TPs.
Manhax
Witch
Witch

Postby Element83 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:54 am

BasicFourLife wrote:It’s a Trapper which doesn’t kill the attackers nor finds out the roled which visit his target. Also since evils know there is a lock on someone you will never block any attacks and make it so evils know who to attack or easily.

The Basic objective of the locksmith is to Keep the Evil out of Salem ok? Its to protect high priority people like the Jailor, Mayor, BG Etc. while keeping a barrier on them and if you say that that is the TP's job anyway then yes that is tru but eventually the evil will have to kill other people who are not high priority and if the evil keep avioding people who have a lock on them they will eventually, later in the game, will have to target people who have the lock on them.

Too weak.

You could just attack and lockpick in the same night using different Mafia roles, which would make the role completely useless compared to more consistent TPs.

Yes I have already thought of that and i just forgot to put that in the role
That is going to be fixed cause yes that would make it unfair to the locksmith

Thank you guys for your feedback :D
-Locksmith
-Mysophob
-Torturer

-Mystic

JK

Element83
Witch
Witch

Postby Element83 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:41 am

Could i get some more feedback please and I would like a suggestion for a Investigator Result - I am not really sure what roles would be good with this(I have some ideas but not sure about them)
:D
-Locksmith
-Mysophob
-Torturer

-Mystic

JK

Element83
Witch
Witch

Postby Element83 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:39 am

Bumpidy bump bump BUMP BUMP

i added some additional changes and i need some opinions on them if u so please to put them
NEEDS A IVNEST RESULT HALP
-Locksmith
-Mysophob
-Torturer

-Mystic

JK

Element83
Witch
Witch

Postby Element83 » Fri May 11, 2018 1:41 pm

Bump
-Locksmith
-Mysophob
-Torturer

-Mystic

JK

Element83
Witch
Witch

Re: Locksmith - Town Protective

Postby BrendonJunior » Sat May 12, 2018 4:32 pm

Maybe Try This:

Locks take 2 days to make and last for 2 days after installing.

All non-town that visit will see the locked targets (making fake claims very simple). Non town can not even try to visit locked targets

If any town visits a locked target, they will be notified that the target was locked up. Jailor is no exception fyi.

Targets will NOT be notified they were given a lock.
BrendonJunior
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Element83 » Sat May 12, 2018 5:05 pm

BrendonJunior wrote:Maybe Try This:

Locks take 2 days to make and last for 2 days after installing. - UMM yea no XD - Way too much time for so little effort

All non-town that visit will see the locked targets (making fake claims very simple). Non town can not even try to visit locked targets

If any town visits a locked target, they will be notified that the target was locked up. Jailor is no exception fyi.

Targets will NOT be notified they were given a lock.

besides im going to be tweaking it once more so comment again on what you think on the tweets
-Locksmith
-Mysophob
-Torturer

-Mystic

JK

Element83
Witch
Witch

Postby Element83 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:07 pm

Bump
-Locksmith
-Mysophob
-Torturer

-Mystic

JK

Element83
Witch
Witch

Postby Boredfan1 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:43 pm

EVEN if it expires after two days and has a two day cooldown, it is too big of a nerf for evil roles. Theoretically, the WW wouldn't be able to rampage which completely nerfs him and makes it even worst for him. So no, this is a bad idea.
Boredfan1
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Element83 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:03 pm

Boredfan1 wrote:EVEN if it expires after two days and has a two day cooldown, it is too big of a nerf for evil roles. Theoretically, the WW wouldn't be able to rampage which completely nerfs him and makes it even worst for him. So no, this is a bad idea.

Alright i will take a note of that and do you have any other opinions about the role?

And when you say bad idea do you mean on the 2 day cooldown or the role?
-Locksmith
-Mysophob
-Torturer

-Mystic

JK

Element83
Witch
Witch

Postby Pirz » Fri May 18, 2018 6:02 pm

I can see where you were coming from with this role idea, and I don't think it's necessarily bad. However... you should pretty much give it an overhaul.

First off, a lock isn't going to stop a murderer in this town. A killer would just break down the door, whether it'd be magical arts, wolves, psycho's, mafias, et cetera. Which brings me to my second point... this, at most, stops non lethal, home entering visitation roles, and it would really only protect them if they stayed home. What good is a locked door if they aren't behind it? Exception to this is probably the escort/consort... because, let's face it, what they do happens behind locked doors anyway. This would make it town supportive at best, as it's only preventing/aiding town against non lethal roles.. most of which are town, sad to say. So, what is the point of this role?

After you get past the existential crisis that this role presents.. Next you must establish the role perimeters. You can't just permanently fix someone's lock and forever deny someone's role against that target, and having last a finite amount of time is also illogical and game breaking. Even something as simple as making it last two days still lets you forever block roles from one person, and alternate supportive protection for another. If it only lasts for the night... well, then you're a really bad locksmith.

I like your idea, but it'll never work. Besides, this town never locks their doors... why would they need a locksmith?

Pirz
Lookout
Lookout

Postby Boredfan1 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:02 pm

The role. I can't think of anything to improve it.
Boredfan1
Jailor
Jailor

Postby timurtheking » Fri May 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Pirz wrote:I can see where you were coming from with this role idea, and I don't think it's necessarily bad. However... you should pretty much give it an overhaul.

First off, a lock isn't going to stop a murderer in this town. A killer would just break down the door, whether it'd be magical arts, wolves, psycho's, mafias, et cetera. Which brings me to my second point... this, at most, stops non lethal, home entering visitation roles, and it would really only protect them if they stayed home. What good is a locked door if they aren't behind it? Exception to this is probably the escort/consort... because, let's face it, what they do happens behind locked doors anyway. This would make it town supportive at best, as it's only preventing/aiding town against non lethal roles.. most of which are town, sad to say. So, what is the point of this role?

After you get past the existential crisis that this role presents.. Next you must establish the role perimeters. You can't just permanently fix someone's lock and forever deny someone's role against that target, and having last a finite amount of time is also illogical and game breaking. Even something as simple as making it last two days still lets you forever block roles from one person, and alternate supportive protection for another. If it only lasts for the night... well, then you're a really bad locksmith.

I like your idea, but it'll never work. Besides, this town never locks their doors... why would they need a locksmith?

Alot of what u said is lore stuff
And balance > lore

But you do make some fine balanfe point on the locking i guess
Check out my ideas:
Witch Change/buff

timurtheking
Sponsor
Sponsor

Next

Return to Role Ideas