Miscellaneous ToS Improvements

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Miscellaneous ToS Improvements

Postby GillsterCQ » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:38 pm

Hello everyone! I have been playing ToS for a while now and have compiled a few small but useful changes that would make the game better!

Wills:
[*]Put a save button in wills or auto-save them when night ends.
It's always a pain to save wills by closing them because often there is more I want to add after I have saved my will, but I didn't want the information to get lost because of night ending. Having the will autosave at the end of the night might be a little too helpful, but at least adding a save button next to the minimize button would make will-writing much more convenient!
[*]Allow for bolding, underlining, and italicizing in wills.
This would make wills more interesting and easier to organize. Currently, the only way to emphasize information is with ALL CAPS which can get a bit annoying.
[*]Increase the allowed amount of characters in wills.
Although it doesn't happen that often, I do sometimes run out of character space in my will when recording information. Wills should definitely be limited in capacity, but there should at least be enough characters allowed so that I can fill up the page! Plus, if I want to somehow format the will using spaces to spread things out, then I rapidly run out of characters. At least take spaces out of the character count.
[*]Change the will cursor to something that's easier to see!
The little typing cursor that is currently in wills is very difficult to see and I very, very often lose it and have to click somewhere in my will or move it outside the will to see it. This may seem very small, but it is very annoying.
[*]Typing starts typing over.
I'm not sure if this is actually an issue with the game, but every once in a while I'll start typing something in front of something I have already written and it starts typing over what was there already!

Other Improvements Inside Gameplay:
[*]Put an icon next to the person's name in the graveyard if they have disconnected.
This would allow mediums to see who they can actually talk to without scrolling through the chat and looking for who left, would allow town to see who the medium can actually talk to, and would allow town to readily tell retributionists who to revive. Overall it's just a good addition.
[*]Put the number of the player in the graveyard.
I don't remember what number everyone was, and people often only put people's numbers in their will. Just put the player's number next to their name in the graveyard after they die.
[*]Put the day/night number in the top right.
It would be nice to have it say "Day 7" or etc. in the corner where it is counting down. I know seeing the day/night number is as easy as opening the chat log, but that can often be annoying or require scrolling, and this is a really simple fix.
[*]Make it more obvious who I jailed.
This one might seem stupid, but until they talk it's difficult to see who I actually jailed clearly. There is usually the execute button next to their name, but not so on night one or after they can no longer execute. Just a small icon or something next to their name would be good, or have the chat say "You have dragged [name] off to jail."
[*]Update the role cards to be different for coven and regular.
This is similar to the investigative result change. For many roles, it is just annoying to also have the coven roles in the goals of who to kill/keep, but specifically for the witch the information is now just incorrect. Suddenly it says I can't win with mafia and neutral killing?
[*]Let us whisper to other dead players when we're dead.
If another fellow dead person and I are dead and we want to chat, let us do so without worrying about that sneaky medium!
[*]Make a setting option that stops the screen from moving to view each dead person.
I understand why the screen moves to each dead person, but I personally find it annoying and unnecessary. I always just move it back to it's central position before the game even finishes telling me about who died.
[*]Keep the expanded role list open after closing a specific role card.
I love being able to see the role cards from the role list, but find it frustrating that when I'm viewing a specific role card, if I minimize that role card then the entire expanded list closes and I have to re-open it. What if I want to look at the random mafia possibilities, happened to look at the forger role card for reference, and then want to keep looking?

Other Improvements Outside Gameplay:
[*]Put patch notes on the main page.
Putting patch notes on the login page was a great idea! But it would be even better if they were in the main screen so I don't have to log out if I want to view the patch notes. May as well have them in both places!
[*]Add patch notes to the tips.
Many of us ToS players have already seen all of the Tips that are shown before the game starts, but many people are unaware of changes such as the self-visit revisions and even the spy changes. Add these into the tips to give us more variety and keep the community informed! Update them as more patches come out and some tips become old, of course.
[*]Keep parties together after the game has ended.
Perhaps I just don't know how to use parties because this one seems rather ridiculous to me. When I'm in a party, after I play a game I have to get re-invited to the party and have it formed all over again. This is very inconvenient, as I usually want to play multiple games in the same party. I am usually only in a party with one other person, I imagine this is much more frustrating with multiple people.
[*]Let us choose which skins are randomly chosen between.
Having a skin randomly chosen is great, but let me choose which ones it randomly chooses between. I have to be a bunch of the default skins a lot, and random brew means I have some skins that I don't even like that I now have to be.
[*]Add a random option for other customizables.
Let me have a random house and a random pet and a random death scene and everything!

Errors:
[*]More people are in the role list at night when I'm dead.
I don't know if this is purposeful, but it's weird. I'm dead and there are four people alive but at night suddenly it looks like there are 10 players still living, including myself.
[*]Bunch of statistics errors.
For example, the number of times I killed someone as veteran is 0, but the number of times I killed a town member is 15. The number of times I was promoted to jester is 0 when it's happened a few times in just the last few days.
[*]Grammar problems.
For example, "control other peoples actions" for witch description (should be people's). (Also I'm sure you know that the spy description on the loading screen makes 0 sense now but I'm sure you'll get to that after the spy overhaul.)

A Word on the New Role List
This wasn't originally going in this thread so I'm going to keep this brief. Getting rid of survivors, amnesiacs, vampires, and vampire hunters is awful. I have no idea whether or not 4 mafia is going to be too OP but I think it probably will be. Plus the investigative results are now messed up. Only being able to be lookout or forger it a problem, but the biggest issue is that witches have nothing to claim now since out of survivor/witch/vampire hunter, witch is the only role in the game. My suggestion is to get rid of one of the new random town's and one of the new random mafia's. Add back in neutral benign and any. If you feel that mafia needs the boost, then make it a custom any that has a 50% chance of being mafia and a 50% chance of being anything else.

Please feel free to give comments on all of my suggestions here! :D
In-Game Name: Truth
Preferred Game Mode: Classic Salem Ranked Practice
Top Three Win Count Roles: Jailor, Lookout, Investigator
My ToS Suggestions: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=69769
GillsterCQ
Executioner
Executioner

Re: Miscellaneous ToS Improvements

Postby NettoTakashi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:02 pm

/support for the majority of these. "Save Will" button, "Left Game" icon in graveyard, number in graveyard, better indicator of who's jailed, and randomization options in particular are useful.

I'm not sure how useful bold/italics/underline in Wills would be, but I'd like to be able to use bold/strikethru to mark who is/isn't the relevant result in a Psychic will.
For the "typing over" issue, I suspect this happened because you hit "Insert" without noticing. If you see this happening, hit "Insert" and it should stop. (Though frankly I don't know why the Insert key even exists...)
I don't think dead chat whispers are super important. If I want to discuss things with other dead people, and don't want Medium to potentially see it, I just don't say it at night. Though, personally, I rarely have things to say that I wouldn't be cool with Medium seeing.
For the role list error, I believe this only happens with certain roles, ones that can interact with the Graveyard (Retri, Necromancer). Any player that you could target with your ability is added back to the role list... even if you've already used your ability or are dead.
For errors, please post them in the Bug Reports forum, with screenshots where possible.
For the grammar problems, I have a thread where I've been documenting any typos I've found (mostly in the role hints)
NettoTakashi
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby HUBen » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:51 am

/support except the dead whisper.

Steam:Ben

Check out my suggestions:
Suggestions to help the devs from switching freemium
Country flag cosmetics

Check out my role ideas:
[Neutral Evil]Conjurer - Revive any Neutral/Mafia member. (Designed to avoid the reason, why NOT to make it. )
HUBen
Civilian
Civilian

Postby alex1234321 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:59 am

/support for everything but the rolelist. Regarding the rolelist, the Any slot makes RNG completely change the setup of the game, so skill is not as emphasized. An NB slot would be okay, but there is simply not enough space. I think that an RM should be replaced with an RT to give the Town a clear majority since when the Town only has a plurality like you are suggesting, scum will either not contribute or push for mislynches, effectively making the day chat almost unusable for Townies.

Anyway, all of these changes are minor, but they would make the game much more convenient.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby piphpi » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:02 pm

You should be allowed to choice your name after your role has been picked so you can make more creative names relating to your role.
piphpi

Postby Jerme » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:48 pm

piphpi wrote:You should be allowed to choice your name after your role has been picked so you can make more creative names relating to your role.

THis is hardly a good idea, as this way more people could be lynched/killed because of their name, since that one would give possibly too much clues about their role.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby GillsterCQ » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:21 pm

alex1234321 wrote:/support for everything but the rolelist. Regarding the rolelist, the Any slot makes RNG completely change the setup of the game, so skill is not as emphasized. An NB slot would be okay, but there is simply not enough space. I think that an RM should be replaced with an RT to give the Town a clear majority since when the Town only has a plurality like you are suggesting, scum will either not contribute or push for mislynches, effectively making the day chat almost unusable for Townies.

After playing with the new role list a bit (and with the old one on ranked), I do think it's a bit more fair since the any slot can't completely swing the game and the random town slots add variety back to the game and give mafia something to claim. The old list was a bit restricted with only 1 rt slot and many claims could be immediately discounted (reminds me a bit of classic). I do still miss NB, although I get why a lot of people think it doesn't belong. If 4-mafia really is too overpowered, then perhaps one RM could be replaced with NB, so mafia doesn't completely lose the chance to have more help and town has the chance for another member. I still think that the investigative results are a little messed up since witch now has nothing to claim.

piphpi wrote:You should be allowed to choice your name after your role has been picked so you can make more creative names relating to your role.

I don't think that we should be able to choose our names after we get our roles as this would create too many problems with people trying to take clues only from people's names. That shouldn't be a part of what gives people clues/leads/information.
In-Game Name: Truth
Preferred Game Mode: Classic Salem Ranked Practice
Top Three Win Count Roles: Jailor, Lookout, Investigator
My ToS Suggestions: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=69769
GillsterCQ
Executioner
Executioner

Return to Suggestions