Patch 1.5.11 - The Cauldron and Taunts

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Postby Achilles » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:56 pm

Administrator Message: This patch is now live!

Hey Townies!

With Patch 1.5.11, we are releasing two new features (Taunts and The Cauldron), tweaking a couple of roles, making some minor improvements to existing features, and fixing some bugs. This release is for Steam and Web. The mobile release will be coming at a later date. Please check out the details below!

New Features

Taunts
The Taunt/emote system allows players to anonymously interact with each other in-game with short animations. For this initial release of Taunts we are including a RIP Tombstone taunt, a Witch hexing taunt (turns the targeted player into a frog), and a Dog Peeing taunt. Taunts are visual only and do not affect game play other than the potential mind gaming aspect that Taunts introduce. In the future we will be introducing many new Taunts, including positive taunts which impart respect or praise. Taunts are consumables and can be purchased through the shop or won from the new Cauldron system. You can access Taunts in-game by clicking on a player’s avatar or on their name in the player list. A popup lets you choose which Taunt to use on the targeted player. If a Taunt is not allowed during certain times (such as during voting) the menu will gray out the Taunt so it cannot be chosen. Have fun taunting, or being taunted!

Cauldron
The new Cauldron system lets you earn free stuff! The Cauldron works like this: Everyday that you log on you can visit the Cauldron where a Witch awaits you by clicking the Daily Brew button at the top of the screen. The Witch gives you a free daily potion that you apply to the Cauldron brew, awarding you 20 Merit Points (or 40 MP for Steam linked accounts). Return each day (yes, you can skip days without resetting your progress) to apply your free daily potion, and on the seventh day you will win a free random Prize, which can include anything from the Shop minus certain exclusive items (such as Refer-a-Friend, SteamBot, Kickstarter award items, and Boat Load of Swag). Yes, this includes Town Point-only items! Skins, pets, houses, maps, lobby icons, scrolls, taunts, themes, death animations, merit points…they’re all potential prizes that can be awarded.

If you choose to, you can specialize your brew by purchasing a potion that enhances your Cauldron to ensure you receive a certain kind of prize. For instance, you can purchase a Character potion which guarantees your prize on the seventh day will be a character skin or a Legendary potion which will grant you a high value item from the shop (above 2,000TP) such as Uriel, Beezlebub, or Map Pack bundles! These specialization potions are optional. The Cauldron will not award items that you already own except for consumables such as scrolls and taunts.

Role Changes

Spy
Change to tell mafia if a Spy is in the game or not. This comes in the form of a nightly message to Mafia members telling them whether they can speak freely or not. This change is intended to allow Mafia to have some games where they can freely communicate and come up with great strategies to use against the Town without the threat of being thwarted by the Spy. We think this change will create some interesting and fun new game play strategies for the Mafia.

Arsonist
Change to make douses silent (Arsonists will still know if they are doused) and to change investigative results on doused players (doused players will appear to be Bodyguard/Arsonist/Godfather). This is a buff for the Arsonist since this role has a hard time keeping up with its Neutral Killing counterparts. This change will give the Arsonist a much better chance of hiding in the shadows until they ignite as well as having lots of claim space from the Investigator.

Other Improvements
• Characters have been re-positioned to have more uniform alignment on the map. This change should help prevent some skins from bumping into each other too much.
• Web Version - Remember Password on Login Screen. Clicking the “Remember Me” checkbox will now remember the password in addition to the user name. No more typing your password! You should only use this option on non-public computers.
• Added double-click ability on the custom lobbies Selected Roles list to allow removal of the role from the list using a mouse double-click.
• Custom/Rapid games now give Merit Points based on the length of the game to help prevent "Coin farming" games.
• For Custom/Rapid games, we added a notice on the End Game Screen that the MP award calculation is based on length of the game.
• The daybreak rooster crowing and night time wolf howl are now treated as sound effects rather than music as far as how volume/muting are controlled in the Settings dialog box and with the in-game sound controls.

Bug Fixes
• Resurrected Graveyard Bug - fixes issue where blank graveyard line caused by resurrected player being removed from graveyard could still be highlighted and clicked to open LW/DN.
• Fixed bug that allowed bypassing of Ranked Requirements when joining a Ranked game.
• Centered the Shop in the middle of the screen.
• Fixed bug in custom lobbies where Any or Neutral Killing selections were not being mirrored to other players from the host. Also fixed off-by-one issue on some of the other roles.
• AllAny and RapidMode button text - added spaces between words.
• SteamBot DeathAnimation Sound - Reduced volume.
Achilles
Developer
Developer

Re: Patch 1.5.11 - The Cauldron and Taunts

Postby alex1234321 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:23 pm

Second

Like Kirize said, I hope that people will realize how fun it is to actually be able to strategize as Mafia.
#SaveTheTG

Tired of trying to play discord Mafia games and not getting enough people? Join Town of Morons! We now have our own bot!

Credit to PurpleSidewalk1
alex1234321
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Tugok » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:34 pm

How many patches are planned before 1.6?
Make survivor more fun!

363 285 12 but elo still falling
Tugok
Executioner
Executioner

Postby shelboo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:38 pm

Tugok wrote:How many patches are planned before 1.6?

Achilles wrote:We are saving 1.6 for a ranked update (probably the next patch after this one)
(Reference)
Click here to send TrialBot a message where you will receive all reports ever filed against your account.
Just click on that link and then select "Submit" towards the bottom of the message.

shelboo
Halloween 2015 Winner
Halloween 2015 Winner

Postby BisonPuncher » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:00 pm

Lexer947 wrote:Is it just me, or is it not out yet?

As far as I know, it isn't :/ Looks like it should be, though. Not sure why else they'd post this.
BisonPuncher
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby Trace » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:05 pm

Kirize12 wrote:First :D

The changes are good, although I hope the players realize Spy seeing mafia chat should be removed full stop.

spy needs to see the mafia chat so its harder for mafia

they shouldnt see who they visit though
Trace The Alpha Player
Trace
Survivor
Survivor

Postby VermilionYT » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:08 pm

Is the update actually out?
VermilionYT

Postby BisonPuncher » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:14 pm

Trace wrote:

The changes are good, although I hope the players realize Spy seeing mafia chat should be removed full stop.

spy needs to see the mafia chat so its harder for mafia

they shouldnt see who they visit though

Do you have any idea what the win rates are? Something tells me you don't. Town is around eighty percent, unless I'm mistaken, and Mafia around eleven. Not to mention, it's supposed to be the uniformed majority against the informed minority, and with the way it is now, it's the uninformed majority vs the uninformed minority.
BisonPuncher
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Postby shelboo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:22 pm

VermilionYT wrote:Is the update actually out?

The patch is not out yet, no. When the patch is out, you'll see the login screen as "Version 1.5.11" instead of "1.5.10".
I imagine the patch will be pushed out when there's less traffic online, though I cannot be certain.

With that said, players should consider clearing their cache on the browser version when the patch does come out. There tends to be a small wave of players who experience visual errors after a patch is released and clearing the cache fixes it.
Click here to send TrialBot a message where you will receive all reports ever filed against your account.
Just click on that link and then select "Submit" towards the bottom of the message.

shelboo
Halloween 2015 Winner
Halloween 2015 Winner

Postby chitownmvp01 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:28 pm

Agreed. I also don't like the idea of confirming the existence of a role to the Mafia. Otherwise, nice patch and keep up the great work, devs! :D

shelboo wrote:
VermilionYT wrote:Is the update actually out?

The patch is not out yet, no. When the patch is out, you'll see the login screen as "Version 1.5.11" instead of "1.5.10".
I imagine the patch will be pushed out when there's less traffic online, though I cannot be certain.

With that said, players should consider clearing their cache on the browser version when the patch does come out. There tends to be a small wave of players who experience visual errors after a patch is released and clearing the cache fixes it.

Yeah I just cleared my cache. The patch isn't out yet. Hopefully it comes out soon. :)
Last edited by chitownmvp01 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler: Image

Thanks Achro!: Spoiler:
Chitsticks INC.

Favorite Roles: Mayor, Jailor, Investigator, Lookout, Sheriff, Godfather, Consigliere
Least Favorite Roles: Transporter, Jester, Survivor, Disguiser, Mafioso (original, not promoted)
chitownmvp01
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner

Postby UNDERSTOOD12345 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:03 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This forum seems to be so so so negative, but I just want to say THANKS for making changes you think will be good for the game and THANKS for listening to the community. The spy change is a step in the right direction and the arso change is great. People do not realize how lucky they are- many games just do not make changes or just ignore the communicty or make it premium based- this game does not. I respect the creators and the upholders and look forward to many more updates.
- If any of you want to go to a couple of really decent a fun mafia sites that can actually improve your game, try mafiascum and mafiauniverse. Both very newbie friendly and awesome!
UNDERSTOOD12345
Medium
Medium

Postby Jezz92 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:08 pm

And now we wait for people to start complaining that arso is too OP lmao

Nice patch, hopefully I can get into playing ToS again soon to see the changes as I've been having some down time from the game. :D
Jezz92
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Achilles » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:27 pm

We will be patching at 10AM
Achilles
Developer
Developer

Postby chitownmvp01 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:39 pm

Achilles wrote:We will be patching at 10AM

Nice! I'm looking forward to it! :D
Spoiler: Image

Thanks Achro!: Spoiler:
Chitsticks INC.

Favorite Roles: Mayor, Jailor, Investigator, Lookout, Sheriff, Godfather, Consigliere
Least Favorite Roles: Transporter, Jester, Survivor, Disguiser, Mafioso (original, not promoted)
chitownmvp01
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XI] Winner

Postby skullygurlcanada » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:02 pm

The win rate is going to be lower for maf v town because of the number of roles there are for town v how many maf have in a game. You have more eyes people as a townie and more people working together.

Spy becomes weak with out maf chat.
skullygurlcanada
Jester
Jester

Postby superdog551 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:25 pm

skullygurlcanada wrote:The win rate is going to be lower for maf v town because of the number of roles there are for town v how many maf have in a game. You have more eyes people as a townie and more people working together.

Spy becomes weak with out maf chat.

If the spy does have mafia chat, then the mafia cannot strategize, they cannot tell each other what to write in the death note, or tell each other their fake claims as to be able to reinforce them with their own and not contradict them, or tell each other who they should/shouldn't kill without having to double click on the name.

I could list a few more reasons the spy not having mafia chat is a good thing for the mafia, but my point still gets across.

(Kirize posted his reasons that spy is still powerful without mafia chat above, so I didn't include anything of that)
joaodasalmas wrote:Abilities: You can reveal yourself as the King Potato, and now you can't be voted.

My Roles:
Charmer
Oracle
Associate

Get in here and count to 200300 before 2030!
In-game my name is Jay
superdog551
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby BlazinIce » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:48 pm

Just rework spy as tracker, or limit it in Chaos modes.
How to get unlimited Town Points in Town of Salem
I'm a forum regular. You may see me in Role Ideas (critiquing bad roles), Testing Grounds, Feedback, Suggestions, or Forum Games. I'm also in ToS as Noone.

Mortician -A Neutral Evil Janitor that buries lynches. Has over 100 supporters!
Gossiper -A Neutral Evil role that gives a player valuable information about another player each night.
BlazinIce
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Chillyfoot » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:01 pm

When's the expected release of this patch?
North/Wolf (they/he)|ISTP|Hawaiian time|my disability makes ToS harder than it should be
1100+ games, ~40% winrate, Season 1 Silver
Favorite roles: Medium, Amnesiac, Necromancer, Pirate
Weekly Rotation (M-Su): Ruffles (WW), Ubi (PB), Wacky Wednesday, Jaybird (Frost), Achiote (Flames), Harpoon (Thunder), Erika (Uriel)

Last updated: 9 Apr 2021
Chillyfoot
Jester
Jester

Postby Amythyr » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:06 pm

Are the rewards from Cauldron truly random or are they weighted?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
― George Carlin
Amythyr
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby shelboo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:12 pm

Chillyfoot wrote:When's the expected release of this patch?

As posted above,

Basically in around 14 hours if things are ready to be released.

shelboo
Halloween 2015 Winner
Halloween 2015 Winner

Postby quirkycloudysword » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:27 am

10AM what time, because its 11:26AM for me rn
quirkycloudysword
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby shapesifter13 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:38 am

Due to the downtime we are just checking to make sure everything is ok before we patch.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:53 am

Moderator Message: Patch is happening in 10 minutes. Server downtime is expected to be less than an hour.
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Hoboten » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:11 am

I'm getting an error while I'm trying to log into the game via web.
Hoboten

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:12 am

Hoboten wrote:I'm getting an error while I'm trying to log into the game via web.

Naru2008 wrote:
Moderator Message: Patch is happening in 10 minutes. Server downtime is expected to be less than an hour.
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Announcements