Musician (Mafia Support)

Old Role Ideas

Musician (Mafia Support)

Postby oliy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:39 am

Musician
Alignment: Mafia Support

TG April 2022 Version:
Spoiler: Ability: Perform at a player's house at night, drawing their visitors to you
Attributes:
- You may only perform at each player's house once
- Twice per game, you may serenade the town by selecting yourself. This will only allow the town to put one person on trial the next day
Special Attributes:
- None

Notes:
Players will be informed that they were redirected

Night Action: Select anyone alive. Selecting yourself will serenade the town. Buttons will be removed for people already performed for.
Day Action: N/A

Notifications:
Getting redirected: "Some beautiful music drew you away from your target's house!"
Serenade: "A musician will be performing tonight. We only have time for one trial today!"

Investigative Results:
Investigator - Sheriff/Musician/Exe/Werewolf
Consigliere - Your target plays music for the town. They must be a Musician.
Sheriff - Your target is a Member of the Mafia!

Additional comments:
This was the role approach decided by Testing Grounds Balancers in April 2022. I think this approach for the role works, but the direction seems to focus more on the night action and the day action, both of which are somewhat complex. It definitely took a step away from what I think the role should be, which would be a more simple role that focuses more on its unique day ability of messing with the Town's discussion time. This role change is more suited towards current ToS meta, where trials are used to greatly extend day time and get information, and I like the change of making it affect trials like this. I don't have a much better role direction besides making the day ability stronger (shortening discussion time as well) and removing the night ability, but I gave the role a mediocre night ability to keep players from getting bored. Right now with its multiple abilities it feels more like a custom Mafia role than a ToS role, which is generally a more accessible game than other Mafia games. Overall, I'd say this role change is better than what other people have tried to force it to be in the past and is better suited for 2022 ToS than 2015 ToS, but it's still a step away from how I think ToS roles should be designed and I'm not entirely happy with it right now.

My Role Version:
Spoiler: Ability: -Serenade the town during the day
Attributes:
- Serenading the town will remove 15 seconds from the discussion phase
- The town may only put one person on trial after being serenaded
- You may only serenade twice per game
Special Attributes:
- None

Notes:
None

Night Action: Select yourself to serenade the town the next day.

Notifications:
At the start of the night:
Two charges left: "You may serenade the town two more times."
One charge left: "You may serenade the town one more time."
No charges left: "You can no longer serenade the town."
When serenading:
At the start of the day: "A musician performed for the town. We have less time to discuss today!"
At trial: "We only have time to put one person on trial today."

Additional comments:
As much as I like the idea of giving the player something to do at night, I feel like just having the day ability is probably a better compromise to make it match more standard ToS roles. Affecting both discussion and trial time makes sure it has some kind of impact regardless of the skill level, and balances out not having a night ability. It might want some tuning, but I'm happier with this direction.

Old Rolecard: (2015/2016)
Spoiler: Ability: -Remove all night feedback from someone and their visitors
Attributes:
-Using the moon button at night, you may choose to remove the discussion phase from the town the next day
-You can only serenade the town twice in a game
Special Attributes:
-None

Investigative Results:
Investigator - no
Consigliere - Your target plays music for the town. They must be a Musician.
Sheriff - Your target is a Member of the Mafia!

Night Action: Removal of feedback and moon button

Notifications:
"Do you hear that beautiful tune? Wait, where has the time gone! It's voting time already!" - Serenading

Notes:
None.
Last edited by oliy on Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:
Hi! I'm Eve the Eevee! Please give me a hug :3
You can also hurt/heal me here!

My Stuff
oliy
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Re: Musician (Mafia Support)

Postby FlightlessPigeon » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:00 am

This is basically having a bm'er for the whole town. Also that you choose to do it in the day is op.
My Roles

Chieftain
FlightlessPigeon
Donor
Donor

Postby cmitc1 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:03 am

I can see this being used late game I think.......
cmitc1
Arsonist
Arsonist

Postby oliy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:54 pm

I haven't gotten much feedback, and I feel pretty confident in this role. Anything I should change? Do you like it or not, and why?

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:

My Stuff
oliy
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby oliy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:55 pm

Fierceblood wrote:I have mixed feelings about this role... but in the end, you are forcing rapid mode with a mafia role.
they can still whisper while deaths are announce, so you cant really counter a retri, a medium or any mayor games.
you cant make the music last 30 seconds or more because you are basically blocking the vote phase if you activate the ability on that moment.
and even if you do, the one who was going to get voted is going to be raped by the vig or jailor in the night for obvious reasons.

Mayor reveals midday, so you can counter that.
Medium? How? What?
Unless there's a confirmed town member to talk to or something to ask, that beginning of a day is pretty useless.
You can frame people, wasting a jailor 's execution or vigilante's shot.

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:

My Stuff
oliy
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby oliy » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:04 pm

Why not Mafia members tho ;_;
That would be somewhat of an asset, maybe immune GF or helping Investigatives, and instead of rolelist WIFOM you have logical WIFOM where Invesitgatives with no feedback decide between targeting them, targeting a Mafia, or targeting a town.

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:

My Stuff
oliy
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby Ralozey » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:08 am

This role has been accepted into the Testing Grounds! If you'd like to see this role in action just visit our forum or PM me.

The last living dragon on earth!

Current time of year represented by a tree:
Ralozey
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby RetralMega » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:22 am

So it deceives anyone who visits for information and also blackmails a whole town until voting time.
Too OP.
RetralMega
Patron
Patron

Postby oliy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:14 am

RetralMega wrote:So it deceives anyone who visits for information and also blackmails a whole town until voting time.
Too OP.

It's freaking confirmable by many roles, and the ones that aren't confirmed generally help balance of the game slightly in favor towards scum. The only ones it truly deceives are Doctors (which should have feedback removed), killers hitting immune roles (which either allows for realization+fakeclaim or confusion, but this scenario rarely happens anyways :\), and lookouts (which can die in a fire).
Tell me this: Is there really much going on in that 1/2 of the day? People claim, there are CCs, a bit of recovery, not much time at all. If the playerbase somehow ends up playing better, then yes, this is effective, but reads made overnight and claims can still be made, there's just a removal of some discussion, which is the intent of this role.

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:

My Stuff
oliy
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby BS4125 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:13 am

In the Investigator result needs a good Town claim, if this was in the game it would be the most confirmable Town member because it happens to everyone and nothing else can excuse it.

Also you said it yourself above, nothing really happens during the first 1/2 of the day, so why risk a chance to expose yourself for just cutting away a discussion about an unrelated topic. If I was the Musician I would use the ability right until the end, if I needed to, but otherwise I would use my ability at all

Spoiler:
lemonader666 wrote:
Seththeking wrote:
BS4125 wrote:Please post relevant posts to the topic at hand and not digress. Also please explain your opinions otherwise your contribution is sub-zero.

Oooooooo Mister Power over here!

And would you look at that, I was on the forums longer then you.

But overall the role for this topic needs work, I mean it's so bad people would rather
get off topic lol.

solola is a mod you retard
BS4125
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby oliy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:13 pm

Screw invest results, they're subject to change, there are many lists, etc. I don't do anything with them.

You are not revealing yourself, and there are still scenarios where you are affective as a role, and the town ends on an incomplete note, such as debating the quality over two ccs, especially in MyLo. There are lots of day scenarios its affective, but not OP.

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:

My Stuff
oliy
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby Soulshade55r » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:13 am

I like this but I feel like this should have 3 uses instead, 2 is limited and this role does have to expose the fact it's in game.
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Mystoc » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:19 am

Soulshade55r wrote:I like this but I feel like this should have 3 uses instead, 2 is limited and this role does have to expose the fact it's in game.

OP has not talked in this thread in almost a year don't necro bump threads i doubt OP is online
Mystoc
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby ninjadog101 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:20 am

Soul you are necrobumping so much stuff on purpose aren't you. Isn't there a rule against this kinda stuff?
ninjadog101
Survivor
Survivor

Postby Soulshade55r » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:29 pm

What even is a necrobumb?

Added
If your talking about me "bumping" the page on purpose, No I just wanted to comment on this role, I didn't even know it was a bad thing to post on a older topic...
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby BS4125 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:55 pm

A necrobumb is when a user "resurrects" a dead topic that hasn't been replied by for a month or more, alike this topic
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=17204

Spoiler:
lemonader666 wrote:
Seththeking wrote:
BS4125 wrote:Please post relevant posts to the topic at hand and not digress. Also please explain your opinions otherwise your contribution is sub-zero.

Oooooooo Mister Power over here!

And would you look at that, I was on the forums longer then you.

But overall the role for this topic needs work, I mean it's so bad people would rather
get off topic lol.

solola is a mod you retard
BS4125
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Return to Role Idea Archives