Rainbow Ramblings! (LGBTQ[AEIOUsometimesY]** Thread)

Discuss about anything non-TOS related here. Keep responses high quality, or go to the Lounge 8-)

Rainbow Ramblings! (LGBTQ[AEIOUsometimesY]** Thread)

Postby Rickdaily12 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:31 pm

Hey all! Welcome to a thread of friendship, support, banter, and post-rainshower beauty. Also, several cat memes and among other things.

One thing that forum users may not know about our wonderful community is that many of us like to identify ourselves as Not-Heterosexuals! Some of us have interesting experiences, some happy, some maybe unfortunately sad. But here is a place for a community within the community where we can celebrate being ourselves, support each other, perhaps a place where people can ask questions if they wanted to know something more from someone who probably gets what they'd ask, talk about anything that's burning on their mind, and etc cetera. I'm terrible at general introductions with things like this, sorry xD

So yeah, if anyone has anything they feel like sharing, or asking, go nuts! I'll periodically check this thread if anything doesn't really get addressed.

Some rules that are very important before you post here though, and please keep them in mind:

1. This is a support thread first and foremost. Please feel free to discuss anything to your heart's content as long as no one has any objection to it. Some topics within this community can be controversial, and two people are free to discuss about these issues if it's important and respectful; but be aware to a third person reading what you say, it could trigger something upsetting inside. If anyone ever tells you this, the only thing I generally ask is that the conversation finishes somewhere perhaps not on this thread.

2. Allies, also known as Cisgender Heterosexual Supporters, are more than welcome to post on this topic for ANY reason. As long as they are respectful when addressing others, there is no reason that they cannot be involved here with us as well.

3. You are not to OUT anyone on this thread. This strictly means that if you are talking about someone other than yourself, you must be very vigilant to not discuss any kind of clue to that person where someone can figure out who you're talking about. Some of the people within this community opt not to discuss their sexuality or their orientation except behind closed doors, in confidence to you only. If they have decided this, do not disrespect that, please. You are only allowed to discuss people's sexual orientations if they themselves have gone public in this thread only, otherwise, please do not do this.

4. This is a large, diverse, and ever-expanding community. They usually prefer not to be labeled. How I generally think about labels is that they are subjective, meaning that they help you understand something, and perhaps you alone. But how people view themselves could be different from how you believe they are, so please be careful not to step on their toes.
For Example, someone might say that they could envision themselves as being able to have a partner, independent of gender.
Inappropriate Question to ask: "So, you're Bisexual then, right? Wait, you're not? But how can't you be?"
Appropriate Question to ask: "So, what do you look for in a person, then? Is there a more umbrella term that can help me understand?"

5. This thread is meant to protect and respect the views commonly held by the LGBT community. If someone has taken offense to something you may have said on this thread, please apologize for that, and either be more prudent and careful about your word choices, or stop discussing the belief entirely. This prudence goes both ways, however. If you are a member of this community who has been offended by the way a person has said something, please give them respect and explain your objections. Flaming people who have offended you will not be tolerated, as per the Forum Rules.

6. And finally, if you're unsure, on the fence about saying something that might be disrespectful here, please just use a PM, or not post here.

Alright, and with that, let the rainbow memes commenceeeeeeeeee :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Rickdaily12 on Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Don't lie this is all so you could post Ace Attorney gifs and have it be relevant isn't it." ~Sarah Thorpe

Looking for guides? :D

Check out the LGBTAI+ Thread!

Rickdaily12
FM Awards: Town

Re: Rainbow Ramblings! (LGBTQ[AEIOUsometimesY]** Thread)

Postby Rickdaily12 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:32 pm

Glossary of Common Terms

For reference, here is a list of commonly-used words in our community along with their definitions. Please keep in mind that this vocabulary is constantly evolving and that this list may not be complete. Any contributions to the list are appreciated.
Spoiler: LGBT: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans*

LGBTAI: LGBT+Asexual/Aromantic/Agender+Intersex/All-Inclusive

QUILTBAG:
Q - Queer and Questioning
U - Unidentified
I - Intersex
L - Lesbian
T - Transgender/Transsexual
B - Bisexual
A - Asexual/Aromantic/Agender
G - Gay, Genderqueer

GSRM: Gender, Sexuality, and Romantic Minorities; sometimes only GSM

Where a word below is in italics, that means it has its own entry on the list.

A note on labels: many of these labels are seemingly interchangeable, and for some people they are. However, please do not presume to correct or judge another person's use of a label. Bisexual and pansexual are especially tricky in this regard, as are transgender and transsexual to a lesser degree.
Often the difference in why one person feels one label is appropriate and not another is deeply personal. If you wish to know more it is probably a topic to seek from someone in private who actually identifies with the label.

AFAB/AMAB: Assigned Female/Male at Birth.

Agender: Someone who lacks a gender.

Androgyne: Gender Identity with male and female aspects.

Androsexual: A person who is attracted to men.

Asexual: A person who does not feel sexual attraction.

Bigender: Someone who identifies as both male and female (or as any two genders) either simultaneously or alternating. See also Genderqueer, Genderfluid

Binary, The: See: Gender Binary.

Bisexual: 1. attracted to two genders; 2. attracted to one's own gender and another gender; 3. attracted to various genders; 4. attracted to people regardless of gender; 5. ask the person who says they're bi what exactly they mean by that. See also Pansexual

Cis: See: Cisgender

Cisgender (CG): Somebody whose gender and sex align.

Demisexual: A person who is sexually attracted to someone only after they have formed an intense emotional relationship with them.

Dysphoria: The etymological opposite of "euphoria." A state of unease or generalized dissatisfaction. In this context, generally referring to the discomfort or dissociation Trans* people feel with their own body.

Male-to-Female (MtF): Someone who was assigned male at birth, but is female. (AKA: trans woman)

Female: See: Woman

Female-to-Male (FtM): Someone who was assigned female at birth, but is male. (AKA: trans man)

FAAB: Female Assigned at Birth.

Feminine: Something generally associated by society with women.

FFS: Facial Feminization Surgery: Surgery to reduce chin/nose/cheekbones. Associated primarily with MAAB Trans people

FtM: See: Female to Male

Gay: See: homosexual.

Gender Binary: The commonly held notion that there are only men and women on two extremes, with nothing in between.

Gender Expression (GE): How one expresses their Gender Identity to society.

Gender Identity (GI): How one feels inside society's idea of "man, woman, or other".

Genderfluid: Someone who fluctuates between different genders.

Genderqueer (GQ): Someone who is not of a binary gender; someone who is neither male nor female.

Gynosexual: A person who is attracted to women.

Heterosexual: A person who is attracted to members of the opposite gender.

Homosexual: A person who is attracted to members of their own gender.

HRT: Hormone replacement therapy. MtF's tend to progesterone, estrogens and androgen blockers, while FtM's take testosterone almost exclusively.

Lesbian: A woman who is attracted to women.

MAAB: Male Assigned at Birth.

Male-to-Female (MtF): Someone who was assigned male at birth, but is female. (AKA: trans woman)

Man/men: A cis man or trans man. Male.

Masculine: Something generally associated by society with men.

Pansexual: A person who is attracted to people regardless of gender. See also Bisexual

Polyamorous: A person who is interested in a relationship with more than one person.

Presenting: Trans* shorthand for appearing as their preferred gender, regardless of any HRT, SRS or other changes.

Trans*: Transsexual and Transgender primarily, with the asterisk denoting that the trans- prefix could be followed by any number of appropriate words. It also includes other labels, and is a catch-all term for people who identify as something other than their biological sex at birth.
Note: While "Trans*" was at one time preferred terminology, of late it has become seen as problematic for various reasons, and is being phased out of use. The preferred term at this time is simply "Trans". You use the term in the definition of dysphoria.
Also, FtM and MtF are sometimes seen as problematic, and i've been seeing a lot more 'Trans man/Trans woman' for target gender, moving on to 'Trans-feminine/Trans-masculine' which describes the direction of change, but does not define an end point.
"Transsexual" is also being phased out as being a bit obsessed with crotch bits and orientation linked either to the cis obsession with genital configuration, or the proven false idea that transgender people are just "super gay".

Transgender: Used in reference to a person whose sex(body) and gender(mind) are at odds or do not match. A transgender person can also identify as genderqueer, transsexual, or may use transgender as their only identity.

Transitioning: The process a Trans* person undergoes to move to their preferred gender. Often includes HRT, SRS, FFS.

Transsexual: In common terms the same as transgender above. In medical terms refers specifically to people who wish to transition from male to female or female to male, not accommodating any other options.

SRS: Sex Reassignment Surgery: Surgery to replace/transform a vagina into a penis, or vice versa. Mastectomies or plastic surgery may be used on breasts.

Sexual Orientation (SO): How one identifies who they are attracted to.

Significant Other(s) (SO): Person(s) you are in a relationship with.

Third-gendered: Someone who fits in a local society's third gender, usually male performing female tasks, occasionally vice versa. Also a person who feels they do not identify with any other gender identity.

Woman: A cis woman or trans woman. Female.

Allies: Heterosexual-Cisgender people who support equality for sexual, gender, and romantic minorities.

Aromantic: a person who does not experience romantic attraction.

Non-Binary: Same as Genderqueer.

Enby: Shortened form of "Non-binary".
Last edited by Rickdaily12 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Don't lie this is all so you could post Ace Attorney gifs and have it be relevant isn't it." ~Sarah Thorpe

Looking for guides? :D

Check out the LGBTAI+ Thread!

Rickdaily12

Postby oliy » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:23 pm

Cool.

I don't really have anything to contribute from personal experience, except for a classmate covering LGBTQ in the 1980s and relation to HIV/AIDS for a project, a very controversial topic :\

Preemptive questions for people:
How do you feel when someone uses your sexual alignment as an insult?
Was there any clear moment you found your sexual alignment (no need to share stories, but I won't object) (anyone can answer this as well)
Do you make jokes about your own sexual alignment?

TBH I don't feel much sexual attraction to anything, I joke around about it :\

Old Signature Stuff:

Spoiler:
Hi! I'm Eve the Eevee! Please give me a hug :3
You can also hurt/heal me here!

My Stuff
oliy
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby Alzar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:54 am

my experiences: binders are really fucking expensive holy shit
Spoiler: FM Record Image
Click here if you like crime games/text RPGs.
A reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely.
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby Nellyfox » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:03 am

I heard use sports bras for artificial binders but don't quite me on that.

oliy wrote:Preemptive questions for people:
Was there any clear moment you found your sexual alignment (no need to share stories, but I won't object) (anyone can answer this as well)

No one ever does. Wouldn't bother me anyway.
Yes there was but I'm not going to go into that.
Yep. I call myself gay all the time. Although that's only half true.
Nellyfox
[Forum Mafia V] Winner
[Forum Mafia V] Winner

Postby RetralMega » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:12 am

How do you feel when someone uses your sexual alignment as an insult?: I'm Aromantic and Asexual, so that's kind of difficult to do. It's like making fun of someone for not liking any kind of [insert food category here].
Was there any clear moment you found your sexual alignment (no need to share stories, but I won't object) (anyone can answer this as well): I've never been attracted to anyone. Not even romantically.
Do you make jokes about your own sexual alignment?: Yes. I like to joke about being forever alone. But I'm happy being forever alone. <3
RetralMega
Patron
Patron

Postby alouvre » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:30 am

Alzar wrote:my experiences: binders are really fucking expensive holy shit

Yeah, now imagine losing one.

As long as I don't lose my job or get killed or some shit, I don't care what people say or do. I used to be super touchy about it until I realised it's not really my problem unless I make it my problem.
alouvre
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Alzar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:48 am

oh god how much money is that

500$ ? ? ?

im not ready for this gender economy
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby parkerparkour » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:53 am

I'm homophobic purely because I'm jealous of cowlax.

Memes aside, we have a pretty big GSA at our school, it's kind of like this thread but everyone there is kind of bitchy. They aren't very accepting of "alllies," so to say, they probably feel like they're intruding on their safe space. Ironic considering it's supposed to be the most tolerant of all the interspersed groups and clubs. Outside of the GSA all the outed students are probably the friendliest people I've seen and are pretty chill to hang with. I'm sure there's a metaphor for it somewhere.

No ones ever used my alignment as an insult lol. I can't even imagine how that would go. "God you're such a straighty. I can't believe how sexually vanilla you are. Liking BOYS??? Loser."
parkerparkour
Halloween 2015 Winner
Halloween 2015 Winner

Location: The real bad place was the friends we made along the way

Postby Alzar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:00 am

my gender alignment is neutral evil

sometimes im just ??? when a gsa doesnt accept allies because rip closeted people who dont want their family/friends to know
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby alouvre » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:05 am

Alzar wrote:oh god how much money is that

It was 33 USD. I could've bought five pizzas with that shit. ):

parkerparkour wrote:Memes aside, we have a pretty big GSA at our school, it's kind of like this thread but everyone there is kind of bitchy. They aren't very accepting of "alllies," so to say, they probably feel like they're intruding on their safe space. Ironic considering it's supposed to be the most tolerant of all the interspersed groups and clubs. Outside of the GSA all the outed students are probably the friendliest people I've seen and are pretty chill to hang with. I'm sure there's a metaphor for it somewhere.

Might as well remove the S then, eh?

Nobody is really out here. It's not exactly dangerous to do so, but they probably feel like it's unnecessary, since from what I've seen my classmates are rather accepting. I've only once had to deal with a classmate saying something about gays going to hell and that was in junior high or some shit like that.

Alzar wrote:sometimes im just ??? when a gsa doesnt accept allies because rip closeted people who dont want their family/friends to know

Or if they ask about you at all? We don't have one here, so I don't know how it works, but it seems pointless to ask. As long as they're a supporter, it shouldn't really matter.
alouvre
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Alzar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:13 am

33 dollars is a Lot

help im being destroyed by the gender economy
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby parkerparkour » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:24 am

Alzar wrote:my gender alignment is neutral evil

sometimes im just ??? when a gsa doesnt accept allies because rip closeted people who dont want their family/friends to know

im offended by this and I'm not sure why
parkerparkour
Halloween 2015 Winner
Halloween 2015 Winner

Location: The real bad place was the friends we made along the way

Postby SecretWeaponCoffee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:52 am

Thought Rick was departed. I like your strategy guides.

I'm hetrosexual but I bend if there's a chance to profit. Pseudo-ambiexual?

I like things which society thinks is wrong. And on that note I conclude this post.

parkerparkour wrote:im offended by this and I'm not sure why

Your avatar offends me in the same way. O' er I'm cap'n Jack Sparrah fight me IRL mate.

(Just kidding).
"Oh no not Coffee.." | Lead town, get lynched. Lather, rise, repeat.
SecretWeaponCoffee
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby Alzar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:54 am

parkerparkour wrote:
Alzar wrote:my gender alignment is neutral evil

im offended by this and I'm not sure why

neutral evil is a balanced gender, how dare you
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby Veeena » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:55 am

oliy wrote:Preemptive questions for people:

I really don't give a shit. I just tell people "eh, i would love and fuck anyone, yee boyz" and people just laugh or indifferent of it. Pansexual is just a term i use with others who actually would care to know.

Yee. I was like 10 and i had a crush with my best friend. Being in a catholic school, it's suicide to confess your feelings then so i kept it in. Then later on I was thinking of it and it was more of the personality that I love, not the gender. Thus I knew that i was pans/everyone gets a banging baby.

All the time. I even joke about myself being trans too (and my temporary damn into Rick soon).

But seriously, let's not make this thread turn into Tumblr.
OSRS Accounts: Veeena
Lewd Queen (Former HCIM)
Peepo Vee (GIM)

FF14: Xa Erros (NA Sargantas)

Formerly M4xwell
Known as
Xa/M4xy/Vee

Spoiler: Image

Some fucking Vee I suppose.

Veeena
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SecretWeaponCoffee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:05 am

As endearing as your avatar is, I think you're being honest. This is actually the first time I've seen you post.

On subject. I'm incapable of love because I'm cynical. I see people as elements awaiting order.

Therefore I discredit your claim of universal affection as a subconscious willingness to survive, manifested as love.

For me it's unrelatable.

(Love = attraction).
"Oh no not Coffee.." | Lead town, get lynched. Lather, rise, repeat.
SecretWeaponCoffee
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby dota2reporter » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:13 am

The names of sexualities are so hard to remember
26-18 ToSFM
34-26 MU
0-3 MS

60-47
dota2reporter
[Forum Mafia XIX] Winner
[Forum Mafia XIX] Winner

Location: Somewhere in Kazakhstan, switching between UTC +5 and +6

Postby Nellyfox » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:18 am

dota2reporter wrote:The names of sexualities are so hard to remember

Not really. Just remember prefixes.
Hetero - different.
Homo - same.
Bi - two.
A - lack of.

I'm pretty iffy on the whole list of terms, but that's none of my business.

M4x edit: Pan/omni - all -3-

ily nellyz
Nellyfox
[Forum Mafia V] Winner
[Forum Mafia V] Winner

Postby RetralMega » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:19 am

Nellyfox wrote:

Not really. Just remember prefixes.
Hetero - different.
Homo - same.
Bi - two.
A - lack of.

I'm pretty iffy on the whole list of terms, but that's kine of my business.

What about the Cs?
RetralMega
Patron
Patron

Postby VucubCaquix » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:24 am

Still uncertain of my sexuality and don't really care since I'm miles away from an actual relationship. Other than that, all is well.

parkerparkour wrote:No ones ever used my alignment as an insult lol. I can't even imagine how that would go. "God you're such a straighty. I can't believe how sexually vanilla you are. Liking BOYS??? Loser."

But how do you move your arms
Coming 2020 - Who is The Mole?
VucubCaquix
[Forum Mafia X] Winner
[Forum Mafia X] Winner

Postby Nellyfox » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:25 am

Autocorrect is terrible. And what Retral?
Nellyfox
[Forum Mafia V] Winner
[Forum Mafia V] Winner

Postby Alzar » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:27 am

For the most part, they're all standard prefixes affixed to -sexual. For example, hetero- means "different", like a heterogeneous mixture.
Last edited by Alzar on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alzar
FM Logo Winner
FM Logo Winner

Postby RetralMega » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:27 am

Nellyfox wrote:Autocorrect is terrible. And what Retral?

Cisgender and Cisnormativity are Cis ones.
RetralMega
Patron
Patron

Postby Nellyfox » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:28 am

Hetero is different, Alzar. :P
Or opposite. Doesn't matter.

RetralMega wrote:
Nellyfox wrote:Autocorrect is terrible. And what Retral?

Cisgender and Cisnormativity are Cis ones.

Cis is completely stupid, so I disregard it.
I'm not cisgender, I'm female. That's that.
Nellyfox
[Forum Mafia V] Winner
[Forum Mafia V] Winner

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussions