To the Community: Give Descriptive Titles!

Post anything related to the game here!

To the Community: Give Descriptive Titles!

Postby Fairy Dragon » Mon May 26, 2014 9:01 pm

This is a personal pet peeve and if this has been addressed before, my apologies.
Also note that I use topic and post interchangeably.

This post is to other forum posters, in particular, the bug reporters who's titles are oh-so-helpful (sarcasm).

For the most part, titles, particularly in the bug reports, are very generic and unhelpful. Why do I, a non-important person, care about this? Mainly because I try to not repeat topics, especially bugs, on forums. As a result, I go through the bug reports looking for titles that look similar to my problem and check them out to see if they are addressing my problem.

So titles like "Annoying Bug", "Not a big Bug", or "Bug" are not helpful in the slightest. To be thorough, I click on every non-specific titled topic (by which I mean if I had a bug with a Jailor, I don't click on the "Lookout Bug" thread). This is time consuming and annoying as many of these problems simple enough to describe in a title. Having to go through takes up my time I could be playing the game because I'm trying to consider people may have done this before.

Yes there are hundreds of posts and therefore one, unspecific report might not make a difference to me but two things you have to consider:

One is that if everyone thought like that, what would happen? Well, the number of responses would probably fall; the number of posts would rise by at least as much as replies fell. To put it in terms that may offend a few "bros" out there: it'd be like trying to go through the thousands of comments on a PewDiePie video if each comment was instead a post of medium length.

Two, is that maybe there would not be hundreds of glitches if people stopped to look to see if their bug had been brought up before and then make a specific title. Think of the concept: half the glitch reports to go through and you can understand what they are about without filling up your cookies clicking on the post.

Titles don't have to be catchy or nice like in papers or websites. They just have to function. Sure, some places generic titles are fine, but bug reports are no place for generic. And I get that some bugs are just too mind-numbing to even try to encapsulate without a photo but those are few and far in between (plus those reports actually have photos).

Yes I know there is a search bar but for what I am talking about it is not helpful and actually makes it worse. The search bar looks at (now imagine me talking like a robot here) every single post to every single topic that uses the word (or words) that you have searched. For example, trying to find if someone else has reported the bug of having a hung person icon in the circle of people will be a difficult one. Probably your key word or words are going to be "visual" and "hung" thus every bug report with those words in the first 300 words (if you use advanced search without changing the "return first" option) will pop up. Have fun with that.

Also consider the people running Town of Salem (yes this isn't just some weirdo ranting here). Last I checked the staff was small. Our repeat posts and generic titles could be taking time away from their working on actual problems they didn't know about. That could make the game better or at least make the developers' lives a bit easier.

Last point, I promise.

If you are worried about your precious time, then the community agreeing to use specific titles and check for duplicates would save you time. You could quickly scroll through, see someone already reported your bug, and then you could go back to gaming within a few minutes.
Fairy Dragon
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: To the Community: Give Descriptive Titles!

Postby TurdPile » Mon May 26, 2014 9:03 pm

Thank you
I have mostly rescinded my role as Admin.

All previous contact should instead be redirected to Flavorable.

If your inquiry doesn't directly have to do with Trial 2.0 or TrialBot, then please refrain from messaging.

Thank you.
TurdPile
Vampire
Vampire

Return to Town of Salem Discussion