All any mode.

Post anything related to the game here!

All any mode.

Postby metsavend » Wed May 21, 2014 6:23 am

Heyas,

First time being here, but i'd like to open somewhat a serious discussion about something i've noticed in the game over the short while i've been here that i'm sure many are aware of. I don't know if such a thread has been made before, if so, then moderate however necessary. Like i said i haven't been playing very long, maybe longer than a few weeks, but over the short course i've quickly acquired the taste for a game setup where nobody would know each other's roles (in this case the game set up would be all roles as "Any"). I understand there are people who have a problem with it saying that it is unbalanced/unfair/silly/not fun. If anything, then it's always fun, even when sh*t hits the fan and you're against 7-8 mafs. The whole point of the game, i believe, is that you don't get to know the roles people are given in the list (except mafs obviously) and still have to find a way to work together, which is what brings out the core element of what makes the mafia game a mafia game (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)). Or so that's just how i see it. I find it more interesting not knowing who to trust rather than knowing already how many mafs and townies and neutrals are in the game. Even if you throw randoms of a particular alignment it still gives you the feeling that you're likely to be somewhat safe/win, which ruins it imo. Not knowing who has what kind of alignment makes it easier for them to lie about it and puts your abilities to detect that bullshit to the test, along with the help of investigating roles if there are any ( so far i've always had at least one to help out). It can also make the job difficult for the mafia, if they don't have the numbers.

Now obviously everyone has their own preference of how they wish to play the game and i'm not saying that this is how it should be for everyone. Then again, i think it wouldn't be such a bad idea to create mode of sorts, that players can choose before entering a lobby. That's to keep players who want all any and players who want specific roles separately and everyone gets what they want. Lets call it "Random", for example, where the players cannot see the role list or whatever way that they cannot know each others roles (I'm not sure how that would look like when the host is choosing the roles, the host could still see them, idk), where players may join together in a server, and the host doesn't choose roles or alignments of roles specifically. Idk create a random button for the host to press and the serverwhatnot will create a list of random roles by itself and starts the game maybe. Surely there's probably a better way to approach this then what i've gathered in a few minutes, but i thought i'd (re-)open discussion for this. Share your thoughts, ideas, arguments, whatnot and please keep it clean of personal attacks.
I support everyone's troops :>
metsavend

Re: All any mode.

Postby Yak » Wed May 21, 2014 8:16 am

This is why I'm glad they're adding a specific game mode for all any. I personally hate it, because it makes all detective work when you're not an investigative class useless.
If you ever see ಠ益ಠ, it's me!
Yak
Bodyguard
Bodyguard

Re: All any mode.

Postby Sereloth » Wed May 21, 2014 11:15 am

Yak wrote:This is why I'm glad they're adding a specific game mode for all any. I personally hate it, because it makes all detective work when you're not an investigative class useless.

I didn't know they were adding an "All Any" mode, so I'm glad to hear this. That sounds exactly like what the OP wants. And it makes sense. There's been times when I have been in the mood to play an "All Any" mode, but not that many people want to play that. So it tends to end up being random when I get to play that mode. So with a fully separate "Random" mode, then this problem gets solved.
Sereloth
Donor
Donor

Return to Town of Salem Discussion