Is Ranked Worth It

Post anything related to the game here!

Is Ranked Worth It

Postby mustiboi999 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:28 am

I’m kind of getting bored of the All Anys and haven’t played Ranked in a while
I’m low ELO
Will Ranked cure my boredom and is it worth it
From my experience it’s very toxic and I hate toxicity so question is should I go back or should I just stick to the less toxic gamemodes
mustiboi999
Civilian
Civilian

Re: Is Ranked Worth It

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:58 am

Ranked list is very fun at the start

But after like 10 games you will get bored because most games are decided on d3
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby PleaseReadSiege » Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:40 am

No. Only more roles & rotating chaos modes will make it better.
PleaseReadSiege
Investigator
Investigator

Postby Joacgroso » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:21 am

Honestly I don't think the devs should add roles until they fix the roles we already have.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby genericusername1231 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:34 am

In my opinion, Ranked the only tolerable gamemode present within ToS. Elsewhere, you'll seldom ever find people taking the game seriously and doing everything within their power to win for their faction. I cannot stand the silent lobbies and overall random nature of the All Any gamemodes that seems to make the outcome of the game more dependent on the random role list generated at the start coupled with arbitrary target selection during the night more than anything else. There, you're lucky if Town members are actually proactive in claiming their role and sharing information; evils doing anything close to the same, or really anything other than remaining dead silent during the day and picking random kills during the night, is nothing short of a miracle within All Any.

As for the notion that ranked games are invariably decided by day 3, that really isn't the case. As an example, the supposed common state of the game at that point that I hear about ad naseuem goes like this: mafia kills N1, mislynches D2, witch keeps jailor from exeing N2, mafia gets another kill, and suddenly, it's a 6v6. Practical experience alone will tell you that the game rarely ever goes down like this, and a consideration of everything that can possibly go wrong will reveal why that is. What if the Jailor doesn't claim day 1? What if mafia misses their N1 kill? What if town sees through your attempt at a D2 mislynch? What if an intelligent vigi shoots one of the people pushing for the mislynch D2? Even if all goes well and the 6v6 is achieved, there may remain multiple town power roles capable of turning the game around in their favor from scenario in which all evils are outed through their refusal to vote.

Really, the difference between Ranked and everything else in ToS is not that everything there is predictable, but rather, that fluctuations in the balance of power between the factions are beholden to circumstances within the control of the players themselves as opposed to the RNG gods oh so high up in heaven, and the consequences of that phenomenon are twofold; one, there is admittedly less and tamer variation within Ranked (you'll never find two werewolves attacking each other there), and two, what variation there is often feels organic and deserved. As any role or faction, you tend to feel like you lost or won by the merit of how well you could deceive or see through deception, or at least how well your team could do so on average. You never feel like you've been absolutely shafted by blind luck alone, or that the game you're playing is naught but glorified roulette absolved of any real skill-based play. I'll certainly be sticking to it for the foreseeable future.
genericusername1231
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby mustiboi999 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:46 am

genericusername1231 wrote:In my opinion, Ranked the only tolerable gamemode present within ToS. Elsewhere, you'll seldom ever find people taking the game seriously and doing everything within their power to win for their faction. I cannot stand the silent lobbies and overall random nature of the All Any gamemodes that seems to make the outcome of the game more dependent on the random role list generated at the start coupled with arbitrary target selection during the night more than anything else. There, you're lucky if Town members are actually proactive in claiming their role and sharing information; evils doing anything close to the same, or really anything other than remaining dead silent during the day and picking random kills during the night, is nothing short of a miracle within All Any.

As for the notion that ranked games are invariably decided by day 3, that really isn't the case. As an example, the supposed common state of the game at that point that I hear about ad naseuem goes like this: mafia kills N1, mislynches D2, witch keeps jailor from exeing N2, mafia gets another kill, and suddenly, it's a 6v6. Practical experience alone will tell you that the game rarely ever goes down like this, and a consideration of everything that can possibly go wrong will reveal why that is. What if the Jailor doesn't claim day 1? What if mafia misses their N1 kill? What if town sees through your attempt at a D2 mislynch? What if an intelligent vigi shoots one of the people pushing for the mislynch D2? Even if all goes well and the 6v6 is achieved, there may remain multiple town power roles capable of turning the game around in their favor from scenario in which all evils are outed through their refusal to vote.

Really, the difference between Ranked and everything else in ToS is not that everything there is predictable, but rather, that fluctuations in the balance of power between the factions are beholden to circumstances within the control of the players themselves as opposed to the RNG gods oh so high up in heaven, and the consequences of that phenomenon are twofold; one, there is admittedly less and tamer variation within Ranked (you'll never find two werewolves attacking each other there), and two, what variation there is often feels organic and deserved. As any role or faction, you tend to feel like you lost or won by the merit of how well you could deceive or see through deception, or at least how well your team could do so on average. You never feel like you've been absolutely shafted by blind luck alone, or that the game you're playing is naught but glorified roulette absolved of any real skill-based play. I'll certainly be sticking to it for the foreseeable future.

My only concern is the toxicity I tried ranked and it was super duper toxic and I honestly love the chaos of the chaos modes I just want a chill game that isn’t toxic but varied which to me the All Anys mostly provide
mustiboi999
Civilian
Civilian

Postby blackaxe3 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:05 pm

Ranked is very toxic and challenging, overall a stressful experience. Don't get me wrong, it's super fun to play seriously but I don't do it all too often. I personally enjoy chaotic game modes like Classic, All Any, and Rainbow which feel different every game. So yes, I would say Ranked is worth it but you need to be willing to accept the toxicity and challenge.
My Name Picks:

Royal Match - my default pick
Melon King - when someone named themselves Pumpkin King
Godfather - for role theme or to just bait people
Cottan Mother - to cause confusion
blackaxe3
Transporter
Transporter

Postby mustiboi999 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:11 pm

blackaxe3 wrote:Ranked is very toxic and challenging, overall a stressful experience. Don't get me wrong, it's super fun to play seriously but I don't do it all too often. I personally enjoy chaotic game modes like Classic, All Any, and Rainbow which feel different every game. So yes, I would say Ranked is worth it but you need to be willing to accept the toxicity and challenge.

I dont think I can handle any more toxicity and stress than I do since I only play this game for relaxation so I'll try out Ranked Practice which is less toxic and has the same role list
mustiboi999
Civilian
Civilian

Postby mustiboi999 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:15 pm

blackaxe3 wrote:Ranked is very toxic and challenging, overall a stressful experience. Don't get me wrong, it's super fun to play seriously but I don't do it all too often. I personally enjoy chaotic game modes like Classic, All Any, and Rainbow which feel different every game. So yes, I would say Ranked is worth it but you need to be willing to accept the toxicity and challenge.

Btw how do you get games for rainbow since usually its dead
mustiboi999
Civilian
Civilian

Postby mustiboi999 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:18 pm

Classic is too boring since the role list is heavily town favoured and there is very little claim space as an evil, and as i said I already play All Any alot
mustiboi999
Civilian
Civilian

Postby blackaxe3 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:09 pm

mustiboi999 wrote:Btw how do you get games for rainbow since usually its dead

I have gotten into over a dozen games of Rainbow this past month. It’s really not dead, you just need to be patient and wait until enough players get on. That, and advertising in other lobbies of course.
My Name Picks:

blackaxe3
Transporter
Transporter

Postby mustiboi999 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:37 pm

blackaxe3 wrote:
mustiboi999 wrote:Btw how do you get games for rainbow since usually its dead

I have gotten into over a dozen games of Rainbow this past month. It’s really not dead, you just need to be patient and wait until enough players get on. That, and advertising in other lobbies of course.

That I am not tbh otherwise I would rather play the Rotating modes which also take a while
mustiboi999
Civilian
Civilian

Postby Aubrieta » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:46 pm

Ranked was more fun when NK was part of the role list, because there was more mystery and manipulation involved.Town/mafia could also convince NK to side with them temporarily, which added to the fun. Nowadays, ranked is not as good. During the daytime, you have mostly serious games where you may win based on skill if you have a good team. During the night, it's 50/50 since that's when the trolls like to come out. Especially on weekend nights. During those nights, if you experience it, it is better to just save your elo by logging off and playing something else, or switching to another TOS game mode. It really shouldn't be like this, but since TOS doesn't do much about it since when the trolls create new accounts, it generates more cash for TOS so they choose to do nothing to combat this method of cheating/gamethrowing. So as a normal player, those are some of your options.
Aubrieta
Survivor
Survivor

Postby PleaseReadSiege » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:01 pm

Hagg1s wrote:
blackaxe3 wrote:That, and advertising in other lobbies of course.

Do not do this ever

There used to be an "official" discord server where people would set up games and there was some bot that helped set it up. Is that still a thing?
PleaseReadSiege
Investigator
Investigator

Postby blackaxe3 » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:02 pm

Hagg1s wrote:

Do not do this ever

Why? How else are you supposed to actually get games of Rainbow, Dracula’s Palace, or Custom going?
My Name Picks:

blackaxe3
Transporter
Transporter

Postby EqsyLootz » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:25 pm

Hagg1s wrote:
blackaxe3 wrote:
Hagg1s wrote:

Do not do this ever

Why? How else are you supposed to actually get games of Rainbow, Dracula’s Palace, or Custom going?

Gee I wonder what means of communication could possibly exist outside of the game that don't interfere with the lobbies of other modes that people are consciously joining and want to play instead of those garbage modes.

It's true tho. A tos Lobby is the only form of social media in the world. Discord doesn't exist.
Today is the first day I changed my signature after 2 full years. Unfortunately I have no idea what to write here.
General Salem Community Accomplishments.
~~Master Elo Ranked Player: 2.1k Elo~~
I'm also a damn Sunflower, Deal with it.
EqsyLootz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Joacgroso » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:54 pm

Most players don't use the forums. But discord is a good idea.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby blackaxe3 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:09 pm

Discord is dead. Well at least the servers I’m on, they are either dead or are useless places of meaningless discussion.

For now, advertising in other lobbies is the best way.
My Name Picks:

blackaxe3
Transporter
Transporter

Return to Town of Salem Discussion