What is the best game mode in this game

Post anything related to the game here!

What is the best game mode in this game

Postby mustiboi999 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:15 am

I usually play All Any and the rotating modes but i want to know the best gamemodes so i can find other ones to try as well
mustiboi999
Civilian
Civilian

Re: Best gamemode - subjective

Postby SatouKai » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:47 pm

That's all up to you! If you don't like to wait for a game, classic and all any fill up quickly (often under a minute during prime time) in both classic and coven. Ranked practice also fills up somewhat quickly in classic. I've had custom games that have taken over 7 hours to start. Ultimately, which game mode is best all comes down to what your strengths and weaknesses are in Town of Salem!

I say the following, and I expect many would agree.

CLASSIC: If you enjoy a fixed, balanced roster of roles for easy play, classic is best. It's very simple and balanced quite well for new players.
RANKED PRACTICE: If you want the classic game mode but with added complexity and versatility in gameplay and results, there's ranked practice. This is also great for players looking for some warmup rounds before they play a ranked game.
RANKED: If you play more competitively and want intense games with others looking for the same, then there's ranked. These games are meant for experienced players, but you'll probably run into a troll or two. You can also get a cool icon from the season!
MAFIA RETURNS: A coven game mode which requires Big Brain but is also really fun if you can keep track of it. Suitable if you're looking to keep your gears going through the whole game.

RAPID MODE: Exactly what it sounds like. Time is cut in half. Excellent if you're a masochist or don't have a lot of time on your hands.
CUSTOM: A host picks roles, hopefully and usually with input from the rest of the players. This is meant to give people freedom to play however they want and mess around a bit if they want within the confined of a basic restriction set. Good if you want to meet new people and have time on your hands.

ALL ANY: An ever-changing game mode for people who are bored of strict role lists, want to have some fun, try out new roles, or want to rack up some neutral wins. The only restrictions are those that allow the game to be playable and at least slightly balanced.
RAINBOW: People barely ever play this mode, but it's a chaotic game mode where the role list looks like a rainbow. All you need to know is that if you're the jailor, you're screwed.
DRAC'S PALACE: A unique game mode focusing on vampires and townies. There are no neutral killing roles or mafia, it's just a town against some vampires, a witch, and a jester. Nice if you're want a break from normal game modes or want to get some vamp wins. Surprisingly, transporter is one of the most valuable roles here.
LOVERS: A rotating coven game mode with 4 pairs of "lovers" who can win with each other. Kind of complicated in practice, but very fun for players who enjoy negotiation along with deception. There's a bit less random lynching here, I would say.
VIP: This is a coven game mode where the town has a VIP. If that townie dies, the coven automatically wins. Great for players who use and interpret social cues as strategy, as no whispering is allowed and everything a townie does should be to protect and/or hide the VIP.
TOWN TRAITOR: A game mode where the mafia or coven gains a new member: a townie. This is a game mode where players who rely on "scum reading" or making themselves undetectable to it excel.

Personally, as a fan of chaotic game modes, vigilantics was my favorite game mode. This game mode was removed after the witch's first-hit defense buff, though. Now, I would lean towards lovers or classic town traitor.
~共秋(Gongqiu)/Dexter [SatouKai on ToS]
SatouKai
Executioner
Executioner

Return to Town of Salem Discussion