Bans for Leaving Games?

Post anything related to the game here!

Bans for Leaving Games?

Postby ProjectSYD » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:39 am

Every once and a while the client crashes on me & I'm stuck dealing with the fact that I "left" a game. I'm not sure how to fix the issue so if anyone has any tips it would be greatly appreciated. Most times it's unity crashing & I'm not sure how to fix that, my computer is pretty powerful so I'm wondering if it has to do with incompatibility issues with some of the parts in my PC being fairly new and I assume the drivers would be new as well. I'm not that great with the actual hardware, I have some friends who are really good with this stuff and they helped me build my PC.

However, this last game where I was reported I was kicked from the game and received a message that I was forcibly removed/disconnected by the remote host. What does that even mean?

https://blankmediagames.com/Trial/viewR ... id=3504231

All that to say, will I get banned for the occasional disconnect? I'm not doing it intentionally and every effort I've made to look into the issue has lead to dead ends. I have no idea how to fix this.
ProjectSYD
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Bans for Leaving Games?

Postby Joacgroso » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:35 am

You can't be punished for leaving unless you admit your intentions before leaving. But many people don't know that and that's probably why you were reported. Some mods encourage people to report "accidental" leavers so they can track them and punish them if they have a history of leaving only as a certain role, for example. In any case, you are safe.

I have no idea of how to prevent accidental disconnections.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Superalex11 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:11 pm

ProjectSYD wrote:I was kicked from the game and received a message that I was forcibly removed/disconnected by the remote host. What does that even mean?

Here, the word 'host' is a technical term. The message basically means there was an issue with the connection so the server forced you off to prevent even more/worse issues.

If you don't state intention to leave, and you don't get disconnected very frequently, you have nothing to worry about.
Soon™
Superalex11
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby ProjectSYD » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:11 am

I think I've only ever been reported once for leaving & that was likely because I "left" as jailor when town had almost a guaranteed win and me leaving resulted in town losing. I didn't intentionally disconnect but was forcibly removed by host. Other times I've been disconnected I'm usually in the graveyard so people don't seem to care.
ProjectSYD
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Taddyaus » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:48 am

I do think ranked games need to be stricter on the punishment for leaving.
There are a few players who are known to leave over and over, need to fix this. I understand technical errors, but there should at least something in place that suspends them from queue, if it happens to consistently ban them from ranked at least.
Full Time Complainer /Favorite role : Survivor / Add me in game : TaddyAus
Taddyaus
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby sassteroid » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:33 pm

I just got disconnected from a ranked game as GF in a 3v3 where Mafia had a clear advantage (as jailor exe'd a townie). I got a socket disconnection error, a ELO loss penalty and im fairly sure that the rest of the mafia reported me, so i'd be super curious about this - especially given that this was a ToS server problem rather than my internet. This isnt the first time i've taken an ELO penalty due to BMG's servers too, so I screen recorded after I realized this wasnt a lag spike.
sassteroid
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby ProjectSYD » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:47 pm

Taddyaus wrote:I do think ranked games need to be stricter on the punishment for leaving.
There are a few players who are known to leave over and over, need to fix this. I understand technical errors, but there should at least something in place that suspends them from queue, if it happens to consistently ban them from ranked at least.

I agree, maybe some sort of penalty where if you are caught leaving games you get a warning, if you're caught leaving games again within X amount of games you receive a penalty. Have it only apply to ranked play, that way people with bad connections can still enjoy more casual type games without being locked out.
ProjectSYD
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Taddyaus » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:02 am

ProjectSYD wrote:
Taddyaus wrote:I do think ranked games need to be stricter on the punishment for leaving.

I agree, maybe some sort of penalty where if you are caught leaving games you get a warning, if you're caught leaving games again within X amount of games you receive a penalty. Have it only apply to ranked play, that way people with bad connections can still enjoy more casual type games without being locked out.

Yes you get it, please TOS add this
Full Time Complainer /Favorite role : Survivor / Add me in game : TaddyAus
Taddyaus
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby TRSEric » Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:39 pm

Leavers are getting so bad on classic it's almost becoming unplayable.

There's no need to institute long term bans or tracking. The solution is incredibly simple. If you leave for any reason you are locked out for 10 or 20 minutes NO MATTER WHAT. Just like when you leave a lobby too quickly you're locked out for 15 seconds. They need a 10 minutes or better ban for anybody who leaves.

This will immediately stop leavers who "don't like their role" cuz they either play it or they don't play at all for the time it takes to do a round.
TRSEric

Postby Jerme » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:21 am

@TRSEric: There is the plan of implementing a leave buster, but the previous concept were a bit faulty, thus needs to be revised. Its current status is unknown to me.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Aubrieta » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:29 pm

MODS - do something about this please. Several games where people are working hard at their role and doing what they need to, then suddenly 2-3 people leave from their team's side "randomly" and then they lose majority and cannot even do anything about it anymore.
Aubrieta
Survivor
Survivor

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:47 pm

Hello, next time please start a new thread, this thread is a month old.

Currently there's no ETA for the previously mentioned Leaver Buster, however we are handling Leavers as we have been, unfortunately we have to provide some leniency for those who have horrible internet connection, which means these people have wiggle-room to be abusive about Leaving, however if it becomes a problem for that specific user Leaving constantly, we take care of them.

It's up to Devs when the Buster comes out, however with Traitors in Salem being worked on and the focus, I doubt it'll be anytime soon.

Locking for necro.
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Town of Salem Discussion