Town of Salem could really learn a thing from "Among Us"

Post anything related to the game here!

Town of Salem could really learn a thing from "Among Us"

Postby triangularbrick » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:28 am

I think when the game was in its height of popularity it was because the game in essence was relatively simple, you'd weed out the mafia and some neutral killing roles and win the game as town or vice versa as scum
where ToS lost me and a lot of other people is the perpetual need to overcomplicate roles and add all this unneeded stuff with Coven, new roles that make other roles less useful or bury them all together as well as other overcomplicated mechanics being added.
Among us is a very simple game - bad guys who are hidden and try to win through deception - a much more pure form of mafia in a way
if ToS had stuck to the simplicity and perhaps gone a different route I feel as if itd still be as popular today.
Shitpost Veteran
I play FM like a retard btw
alias +LJ "+duck; +jump; -forward; +klook"
alias -LJ "-duck; -jump; -klook"

They made the lounge rules because of me! ;)
my best friend is GOOGLE and we are both Chaotic Evil's.
triangularbrick
Transporter
Transporter

Re: Town of Salem could really learn a thing from "Among Us"

Postby StlnSP » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:33 am

...no one tells you to play coven. In fact, there's barely enough people to even hold out coven ranked.

The problem in this game, even from the get go, was balancing. The game is still too favoring for townies, and that's what turns people off.
It's short for Stallion, but you can call me Stin.

FM Record: 0 / 0 / 0

Image Spoiler:
Goodbye, GrandChase.
StlnSP
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby bubbascal » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:25 am

StlnSP wrote:...no one tells you to play coven. In fact, there's barely enough people to even hold out coven ranked.

The problem in this game, even from the get go, was balancing. The game is still too favoring for townies, and that's what turns people off.

This. If anything, Coven needs to be revitalized instead of scorned tbh.

Strangest bit is though: DBD also favors the majority and yet it's maintained a playerbase for years. I wonder what the difference is...
bubbascal

Postby Ezradekezra » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:33 pm

triangularbrick wrote:I think when the game was in its height of popularity it was because the game in essence was relatively simple, you'd weed out the mafia and some neutral killing roles and win the game as town or vice versa as scum
where ToS lost me and a lot of other people is the perpetual need to overcomplicate roles and add all this unneeded stuff with Coven, new roles that make other roles less useful or bury them all together as well as other overcomplicated mechanics being added.
Among us is a very simple game - bad guys who are hidden and try to win through deception - a much more pure form of mafia in a way
if ToS had stuck to the simplicity and perhaps gone a different route I feel as if itd still be as popular today.

Except Among Us isn't a "pure" form of Mafia either. Instead of the mechanical abilities of each role, you have tasks, security systems, and eyewitness accounts.

A "pure" form of Mafia would just be a VFM, and I don't think many people would want to pay for that.
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby Flatliner » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:42 am

Does anyone really think people will be playing Among Us a year from now? You need depth to retain interest. LoL's been around forever now, and no one would call it 'simple'.
Flatliner
Jester
Jester

Postby lemonader666 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:29 am

triangularbrick wrote:I think when the game was in its height of popularity it was because the game in essence was relatively simple, you'd weed out the mafia and some neutral killing roles and win the game as town or vice versa as scum

Bruh the average ToS player hates vanilla, especially in a turbo environment, they just like role madness. There's a reason why citizen has never been added.

you can email me at lemonader666@gmail.com if need be
lemonader666
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby StlnSP » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:19 am

lemonader666 wrote:

Bruh the average ToS player hates vanilla, especially in a turbo environment, they just like role madness. There's a reason why citizen has never been added.

It's not like we, as the player base, hate vanilla. It's just that devs have personal vendetta against them. I think they said it themself that they'd rather die than adding a role that literally does nothing, and survivors are the line they're willing to make.
It's short for Stallion, but you can call me Stin.

FM Record: 0 / 0 / 0

Image Spoiler:
Goodbye, GrandChase.
StlnSP
Disguiser
Disguiser

Postby lemonader666 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:47 am

StlnSP wrote:
lemonader666 wrote:

It's not like we, as the player base, hate vanilla. It's just that devs have personal vendetta against them. I think they said it themself that they'd rather die than adding a role that literally does nothing, and survivors are the line they're willing to make.

The average player doesn't want to get a """""useless""""" role while others get strong ones, see the case with mediums. Role madness appeals to the average player. Among us barely even relies on actual scumreading and shit at the lower levels.

lemonader666
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby kyuss420 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:09 am

ToS and the role mechanics have hardly changed......Players have just gotten smarter from seeing how pros use the mechanics to their teams advantage, so more people are playing smarter now....Its the players that have changed, and the recent changes to certain roles were designed to counter people getting smarter....

As for coven....there is no jailor meta in coven, its much more balanced role wise [at higher levels of play] than classic. I mean, if you dont like the ''un needed stuff'' in coven, dont play coven and have fun camping on the jailor....

Also if you think Among Us is still going to be popular in 5 years, just because the you tubers decided to play it during quarantine, then idk what to say...lol
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby ProjectSuperBoy » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:19 pm

Certain roles are always going to be less useful than other roles. Most versions of mafia have a role that's just "citizen", at least ToS endeavors to give everyone something to do.
Nicolas Cage was the greatest thing about the movie Kick-Ass, and everyone here knows it.
"It's not that....okay maybe it is that."
A tundra has less liquid water than a grove.
ProjectSuperBoy
Spy
Spy

Postby Paradox12 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:12 pm

I think it's a good idea that the devs haven't added citizen or goon into the game. If I ever got a faction-aligned role that does literally nothing, I would just leave the game d1.
Paradox12
Transporter
Transporter

Postby lemonader666 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:38 pm

That brings up something interesting. How about only relegating citizens and goons to 1 single pretty vanilla gamemode? Here's an idea
Spoiler:
Sheriff
Doctor
Vigilante (hopefully the no-guilt 2-shot version instead)
Citizen x9

Consort
Consigliere
Goon

lemonader666
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVI] Winner

Postby Soulshade55r » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:47 pm

lemonader666 wrote:

No one wants to be citizen lol.
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby ProjectSuperBoy » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:04 am

StlnSP wrote:The game is still too favoring for townies, and that's what turns people off.

This is true. Most game modes are heavily in town's favor.
Nicolas Cage was the greatest thing about the movie Kick-Ass, and everyone here knows it.
ProjectSuperBoy
Spy
Spy

Postby Joacgroso » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:07 am

I wouldn't mind citizens/goons in the game if they were custom-exclusive roles that could only spawn in their respective specific slots. Especially if this was combined with private lobbies that support less players.
Playing a classic mafia game (mafioso and goons vs doc, sheriff and citizens) could be fun.

edit: Maybe this game isn't as popular because it isn't as visually appealing as other games?
The simplicity might be another factor, but I wouldn't change this game just so it's more similar to a popular one.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby kyuss420 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:46 am

ProjectSuperBoy wrote:
StlnSP wrote:The game is still too favoring for townies, and that's what turns people off.

This is true. Most game modes are heavily in town's favor.

yes and no

I think most modes are fairly even if it were 15 new players in the lobby...which is rarely the case. If everyone is randomly clicking every night and staying silent, its much more in evils favor.

I think most players pick up town roles, how to use them, mechanics and interacting with other townies, Soooo much more faster than they pick up how to do the same with evil roles.
Most players cant lie very well as evil or dont even bother trying too hard when they get an evil role.
some players dont know how to NE, so they just guess at mafia and vote with town because ''thats how I usually play''

What makes the game Town sided is confirmability...having a role list where its easier to check off who your team mates are, then lynch/kill the rest, instead of having to actually find the evils.. like in some modes, you can mislynch once or twice and still win, where if the evil factions make a mistake its gg, town can come back from fucking up where evils cant..
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby ProjectSuperBoy » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:19 pm

You mean yes they are.
The only modes which are not are Custom and All Any.
ProjectSuperBoy
Spy
Spy

Postby kyuss420 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:48 am

They are if you trust peoples claims... if you think everyone could be lying, when only 4-6 out of 14 other people actually are, then theyre not

Or if you can count... 1 RT, 2RT, 3RT.... gg ez
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby ProjectSuperBoy » Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:25 pm

Most people telling the truth is another advantage for town.
ProjectSuperBoy
Spy
Spy

Return to Town of Salem Discussion