Can Amnesiac play neutrally as a "Neutral Benign" role? No.

Post anything related to the game here!

Can Amnesiac play neutrally as a "Neutral Benign" role? No.

Postby CoocooFroggy » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:47 pm

In this situation, we are an amnesiac, along with a vampire and a revealed Mayor. In the graveyard, you can remember to be a selection of roles listed below. Everyone knows you are the amnesiac. Everyone knows who the sheriff and vampire is. Everyone knows the vampire can convert tonight.

The Mafioso was just lynched and we are heading into the night phase.

In this situation, everyone knows that you have a dead, cleaned Guardian Angel who has one protection for you, which they will use tonight.

In the graveyard, the roles you can remember are:
  1. Vigilante
  2. Sheriff
  3. Jailor
  4. Transporter
  5. Mafioso

All other roles were stoned by the Medusa. The Medusa and GA were cleaned by a Janitor. The Janitor cleaned himself due to the transporter. Then the mafioso and transporter were hung.
Point is, this scenario is possible, and you can only remember the specific roles listed.

How do you win the game without going against your win condition?

___

Before we consider branching scenarios, let's take a look at what the other players will do.

The vampire will undoubtably bite the Mayor. If they do not, vampire lose no matter what happens (Mayor will instantly vote up a vampire, lynch and repeat). You also are being protected, so attacking you will be worthless.

So if the Mayor is 100% undeniably going to become a vampire with majority against you, should you just let them convert you too so everyone gets the win?

No, that would be gamethrowing (and not possible: the game would end).

"Wait, you're an Amne, a neutral. How would that be gamethrowing?"

___

Amnesiac's Purpose
The Goal of an Amnesiac is as follows:

Remember who you were and complete that role's goal.

The victory conditions are:

Must Kill: Enemies of chosen target

See where I'm going with this? The only factions in the graveyard are town and mafia. Why is this important? The Amnesiac's goal is to "complete that role's goal." When you are still an amnesiac, you are obligated to play as a town or mafia member. You cannot play as a neutral like survivor and ask to be converted.

___

Throwing Scenarios

Scenario A) Do not remember any role
Simple as this: Vamp bites the Mayor, game ends.

Intentionally losing the game or hurting your teams chances of winning (even if that team is just you) is gamethrowing. [url]https://www.blankmediagames.com/rules/[/url]

By not remembering a role, you ensure a loss for yourself, which is throwing.

Scenario B) Remembering Sheriff
By choosing to remember Sheriff, your goal as Amnesiac is to win for town. When choosing Sheriff, there is a 0% chance you will win as town, so this action would be gamethrowing.

You are just a sitting duck—the third night, vamps convert you. By remembering sheriff, you guarantee you will be converted to a vampire (or hung). You ensure a loss for your faction, which is throwing. You might win as a vamp, but choosing to remember sheriff is the same as asking to be converted to a vamp as a town member.

___

Failed Scenarios

Scenario C) Remembering Vigilante
By remembering Vigi, your win condition is to eliminate the vampires. Vamp bites the Mayor the first night. You can't be voted up because the GA protected you. The second night, you shoot a vamp. They can't convert you. 1v1, nobody can be voted. The third night, a vamp bites you as you shoot them.

You win as a vampire, but did not fulfill your win condition as Amnesiac. This is the same as the Sheriff scenario, but may be harder to discern (which is why I put it under Failed Scenarios). Failed win condition

Scenario D) Remembering Transporter
Contrary to what you may think, a transporter loses in a 1v1 with a vampire (makes no sense IMO, but stalemate detector gives the win to vamps). So while you may get a vampire to bite themselves to die, vamps still win. Or you'll just get hung.

The reason I didn't put this under Throwing Scenarios was because it's not really common knowledge that transporter loses in a 1v1 with a vampire.

___

Successful Scenarios
(Wow, there's more than one this time?)

Scenario E) Remembering Mafioso
By remembering Mafioso, your win condition is to eliminate the vampires. Vamp bites the Mayor. You can't be voted up because the GA protected you. The second night, you kill a vamp. They can't convert you. 1v1, nobody can be voted (not a stalemate, only a stalemate with GF). The third night, a vamp bites you as you kill them. You die and the vampire dies, resulting in a draw.

Scenario F) Remembering Jailor
As a Jailor, you can easily win for the town. When the day comes, you cannot be hung due to the GA. Choose to jail any vampire (does not have to be the youngest, they can't convert). Execute him, wait until the next day, and jail the other vampire. Then execute him and you have just won the game for the town. You fulfilled Amne's goal of "remember[ing] who you were and complet[ing] that role's goal." By not allowing yourself to be converted and instead executing both vampires, you didn't gamethrow.

___

Different Amne Goal:
Should Amne's goal be tweaked? If the goal was something like:

"Remember who you were and win the game."

Then it would be fair to remember sheriff and let yourself be converted. At the time of choosing to remember sheriff, your only goal was to remember someone and win, not necessarily complete that town's goal. Once you're a sheriff, there's nothing you can do about the vamps, so now your only choice is to let yourself be converted.

___

Do you consider it gamethrowing to remember sheriff as Amnesiac? It sounds stupid, but again,

Intentionally losing the game or hurting your teams chances of winning (even if that team is just you) is gamethrowing. [url]https://www.blankmediagames.com/rules/[/url]

the definition makes sense in this case.

What if there was no Jailor in the graveyard? Would it be okay to choose sheriff and get converted?
Last edited by CoocooFroggy on Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CoocooFroggy
Jester
Jester

Re: Is Amnesiac really a neutral role? No.

Postby KAKERMAN23 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:53 pm

it isnt throwing since, as amne, in order to win, you'd need to pick a town role in order to get bit without the game ending before you're converted. edit: didnt see the jailor scenario. it wouldn't be throwing either way, though, since amne can play how they choose, if amne wants to win with vampire, they'd essentially be forced to remember sheriff in order to be bit without it being seen as throwing. the amne simply needs to go through an extra step, remembering sheriff, in order to win with vampire. of course, the amne could also remember jailor and win with town. the problem i have with your argument is that you're ignoring the fact that sometimes, it's okay to go against your wincon in order to win. by your logic, if you were converted into a vampire, the only logical thing to do would be to out your fellow vampires and help town lynch them, since otherwise you'd be going against town's wincon. of course, i could be wrong and it could be considered throwing to remember sheriff, but i dont think i am
Last edited by KAKERMAN23 on Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
signature

this is a certified floating candle moment

i am female now jsjsjs
KAKERMAN23
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Ezradekezra » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:59 pm

I don't understand what this has to do with whether or not Amne is a neutral role.
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby CoocooFroggy » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:06 pm

Ezradekezra wrote:I don't understand what this has to do with whether or not Amne is a neutral role.

That's bad wording on my part. Changing the title to "Can Amnesiac play neutrally as a "Neutral Benign" role? No."
Last edited by CoocooFroggy on Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoocooFroggy
Jester
Jester

Postby KAKERMAN23 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:06 pm

Ezradekezra wrote:I don't understand what this has to do with whether or not Amne is a neutral role.
i think the point he's trying to make is that it would be seen as throwing to side with vampires over town as amne in this situation (although i dont really agree with it lol)
signature

i am female now jsjsjs
KAKERMAN23
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby CoocooFroggy » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:08 pm

KAKERMAN23 wrote:
i think the point he's trying to make is that it would be seen as throwing to side with vampires over town as amne in this situation (although i dont really agree with it lol)

I also agree, I really don't think it should be throwing; but by looking at the Amne's goal, it is throwing. Which is why I think the goal should be changed.
CoocooFroggy
Jester
Jester

Re: Can Amnesiac play neutrally as a "Neutral Benign" role?

Postby KAKERMAN23 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:11 pm

i totally agree then, it does kinda imply that amne can't always be neutral, just given the nature of the role and the wording of the wincon
signature

i am female now jsjsjs
KAKERMAN23
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby MafiaxSK » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:43 pm

I agree the wording should be changed, but in practice that is already the amne’s goal. You can also not remember and win as vamp by asking to be converted the night after next by the vamp and mayor-turned-vamp.
MafiaxSK
Transporter
Transporter

Postby CoocooFroggy » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:08 am

MafiaxSK wrote:You can also not remember and win as vamp by asking to be converted the night after next by the vamp and mayor-turned-vamp.

The game would end, Amne is a "may spare" role I think, and Amne would lose.
CoocooFroggy
Jester
Jester

Postby Ezradekezra » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:29 pm

CoocooFroggy wrote:In this situation, we are an amnesiac, along with a vampire and a revealed Mayor. In the graveyard, you can remember to be a selection of roles listed below. Everyone knows you are the amnesiac. Everyone knows who the sheriff and vampire is. Everyone knows the vampire can convert tonight.

The Mafioso was just lynched and we are heading into the night phase.

In this situation, everyone knows that you have a dead, cleaned Guardian Angel who has one protection for you, which they will use tonight.

In the graveyard, the roles you can remember are:
  1. Vigilante
  2. Sheriff
  3. Jailor
  4. Transporter
  5. Mafioso

All other roles were stoned by the Medusa. The Medusa and GA were cleaned by a Janitor. The Janitor cleaned himself due to the transporter. Then the mafioso and transporter were hung.
Point is, this scenario is possible, and you can only remember the specific roles listed.

There's a bit of a problem with this scenario.

This late into the game, there's no way that there wasn't at least one other Vampire at one point, that should supposedly be dead at this point. The issue is that it's unlikely to impossible that the Vampire could be stoned or cleaned. The scenario that you gave accounts for all 3 of the Janitor's cleans, so there's no way that the Vampire was cleaned. If the Vampire was stoned, then Medusa would've died to a Vampire instead of being cleaned. It's possible that a dead Vampire was stoned with the Necronomicon, but it's unlikely that there's only 1 dead Vampire here. With this scenario, it's got to be around D6 or so, meaning that the Vampires would have had at least 3 chances to convert other players.

There's no realistic way for there to be a dead vampire that can't be remembered in the graveyard unless people were actively trying to get into this scenario, so why not just remember Vampire and bite the Mayor?
Ezradekezra
Halloween 2020 Winner
Halloween 2020 Winner

Postby KAKERMAN23 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:42 pm

it's still a possible scenario tho. maybe the people the vampires bit kept getting stoned? it happens
signature

i am female now jsjsjs
KAKERMAN23
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby CoocooFroggy » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:28 am

Ezradekezra wrote:There's no realistic way for there to be a dead vampire that can't be remembered in the graveyard unless people were actively trying to get into this scenario, so why not just remember Vampire and bite the Mayor?

The point is that the scenario is possible, however unrealistic. Maybe the vampires kept getting stoned along with doctors who healed the Medusa? Or maybe there was just one Vamp playing as a survivor or something.
CoocooFroggy
Jester
Jester

Postby kyuss420 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:08 am

The fact that the amne was still an amne until a 1v1v1 shows that they were playing nuetrally the whole game.

The question is, how is mayor still alive at that point?
with a vigi, jailor, trans and mayor in game (and supposedly stoned docs), why would an amne wait until last minute to pick a town role to remember?
Why isnt mayor already dead if the only TPs were docs and camped on the medusa?

so vig, sheriff, jailor, trans, mafioso, janitor, medusa, GA, mayor, vamp, amne, + 4 stoned/cleaned roles

Point being the amne didnt lose when he hit that 1v1v1 scenario. He lost when he entered the lobby. Being so dumb that you would end up in that situation is a gamethrow in itself, by just entering the lobby.... unless you dont know u that dumb...

So we would take into account that 1)The amne is a dumbass 2)The amne doesnt know that hes a dumbass 3)As a dumbass any move he makes would be considered stupidity and not a gamethrow 4)Therefore the dumbass could remember (or not remember) anything he likes, and it wouldnt be gamethrowing.
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby KAKERMAN23 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:14 am

damn, no chill...
seriously tho, him being a dumbass doesnt change this hypothetical situation
signature

i am female now jsjsjs
KAKERMAN23
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby kyuss420 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:57 am

KAKERMAN23 wrote:damn, no chill...
seriously tho, him being a dumbass doesnt change this hypothetical situation

It kind of does, as anyone with a brain would of remembered town, with a role list that town sided, long before it got to the situation.

Also confused on how the transporter got lynched.....
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Lewisfaisal4869 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:38 pm

InTenTioNalLy.

You have maybe 60s to figure all this out, an average player may think vigi works.

If you cant prove intent, stop saying its throwing. Being dumb isnt throwing.
Lewisfaisal4869
Jester
Jester

Postby KAKERMAN23 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:50 am

1. begone necromancer
2. yes
signature

i am female now jsjsjs
KAKERMAN23
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Descender » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:39 pm

in some scenarios, yes it can
in some scenarios, it has to play as an evil
i think it balances out fairly well
Possibly known as TodaysStory
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Return to Town of Salem Discussion