Would this be considered gamethowing?

Post anything related to the game here!

Would this be considered gamethowing?

Postby Tappytheturtler » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:13 am

Me claiming Psychic in Ranked Practice.
Tappytheturtler
Executioner
Executioner

Re: Would this be considered gamethowing?

Postby dolphina » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:58 pm

depends, classic or coven?
Hi. I'm Caleb, and you're watching Disney Channel.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
I’m a self proclaimed anarchist, and a god of chaos (apparently).
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Brilliand » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:58 pm

I do this every so often. In Classic, not Coven.

It isn't gamethrowing, though you do need to be ready with a quick explanation of why you would claim something impossible. I've found it a generally beneficial strategy, because it usually causes the Town to VFR the three randoms that I put in my "psychic will", even after it's been clearly explained that I am not actually Psychic. (The VFR then benefits the Town, which causes me to be tentatively trusted by the smarter players, which in turn makes the strategy worth using even when I'm evil.)
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby 3cheersforidiots » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:24 am

also depends on what your actual role is
~Trash

Sophisticatedly unsophisticated Sophie.

Other gamertags are papill0n and luciolebrillant, dependent on game launcher.

FM Record
3 - 4 - 0

ImageImage
3cheersforidiots
Lookout
Lookout

Postby Brilliand » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:09 pm

3cheersforidiots wrote:also depends on what your actual role is

I have seen some players on this forum make a good case for claiming Psychic every game regardless of your actual role.

The thing is, Psychic's actual ability (knowing that there is definitely an evil among 3 randomly-chosen people) is crap; you can have a high probability of finding an evil by just guessing 3 people completely at random. However, it has a psychological effect that helps the Town; it's a very powerful role purely because it tricks poor players into playing well.

If you have a role that doesn't need to be in the public eye (such as a Doctor), then you can help the Town by claiming Psychic and thus tricking your dumber teammates into playing well. If you have an evil role, then you can divert attention off yourself by claiming Psychic (which is easier to fakeclaim than most people think it is), and giving the Town a list of three other people to focus on so they don't get around to considering that you might be evil until D5 or so.

The case for claiming Psychic in Classic is a bit weaker, but it basically boils down to explaining to the other players that fakeclaiming Psychic helps the town, so would they please play along with my impossible fakeclaim for a little while? (I also have to give a "real" claim in this case - either my true role or a realistic fakeclaim if I'm evil.)

The only role I wouldn't fakeclaim Psychic as is Jester, but it's pretty much impossible for a Jester to gamethrow. So, I don't think it "depends on what your actual role is" - every role can claim Psychic without gamethrowing.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby kyuss420 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:21 pm

Brilliand wrote:
If you have a role that doesn't need to be in the public eye (such as a Doctor), then you can help the Town by claiming Psychic and thus tricking your dumber teammates into playing well. If you have an evil role, then you can divert attention off yourself by claiming Psychic (which is easier to fakeclaim than most people think it is), and giving the Town a list of three other people to focus on so they don't get around to considering that you might be evil until D5 or so.

In my experience, if the psychic isnt dead, or at least attacked by n3, they arent psychic....
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Brilliand » Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:04 am

kyuss420 wrote:In my experience, if the psychic isnt dead, or at least attacked by n3, they arent psychic....

Wow, really? Sounds like a good reason for unimportant townies to fakeclaim Psychic.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby kyuss420 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:31 am

Brilliand wrote:
kyuss420 wrote:In my experience, if the psychic isnt dead, or at least attacked by n3, they arent psychic....

Wow, really? Sounds like a good reason for unimportant townies to fakeclaim Psychic.

some of us do.... altho finding players who think their role is unimportant, or willing to bus themselves for the greater good (while everyone calls for G/T reports) is usually hard
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby cob709 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:45 am

If you're claiming Psychic because you want to intentionally lose, then yeah it's gamethrowing.
But assuming you're doing it to help people VFR and actually want to lynch evils, then it's good.
I SEE ALL
cob709
Mayor
Mayor

Postby dolphina » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:22 pm

cob709 wrote:If you're claiming Psychic because you want to intentionally lose, then yeah it's gamethrowing.
But assuming you're doing it to help people VFR and actually want to lynch evils, then it's good.

just gonna say "agree" bc the docs weren't lying about melatonin making me sleep easier
Hi. I'm Caleb, and you're watching Disney Channel.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
I’m a self proclaimed anarchist, and a god of chaos (apparently).
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Return to Town of Salem Discussion