STOP BEING TOXIC TO ROLE PLAYERS!

Post anything related to the game here!

Re: STOP BEING TOXIC TO ROLE PLAYERS!

Postby Boredfan1 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:12 pm

dolphina wrote:valid opinions that I will not acknowledge

Black Media Games should be put on trial for not allowing me to hit like or up vote your reply.

BlastingOff wrote:people should stop RPing after Day 1 is over. At that point, you should use your time to discuss who is evil and who is who, not to distract the chat and flood the chat, which makes it harder to check logs later. Someone doing that is, logically, more likely to be evil, as evils benefit from throwing chat into a disarray. I recently had a game in TT where I asked a group of RPers to stop so we can actually discuss some things and they all ended up lynching me. Turned out the person who pushed me was a Mafia member (yes I did give a role and will, they decided to lynch me anyways).

If you wanna RP that much, there are other platforms where that is possible, but ToS is not a place for long-term roleplaying.

First off, the first day you CAN'T really role play, it's super short. Secondly, it's not like I or most use it for long term role plays, it's in the moment fun which is divorced from any sort of structured fun. Thirdly, if done right, you aren't actually distracting or flooding the chat, that's a BIG misconception. Yes, it DOES happen but not as often as it's being made out to be. Fourthly, I've role played more as a townie than I've role played as a mafia member, NK or NE. I don't see many who do otherwise either. Most of the time, people lose because someone was being stupid rather because of one or two or more role players.
Boredfan1
Jailor
Jailor

Postby BlastingOff » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:44 pm

Boredfan1 wrote:

Black Media Games should be put on trial for not allowing me to hit like or up vote your reply.

BlastingOff wrote:people should stop RPing after Day 1 is over. At that point, you should use your time to discuss who is evil and who is who, not to distract the chat and flood the chat, which makes it harder to check logs later. Someone doing that is, logically, more likely to be evil, as evils benefit from throwing chat into a disarray. I recently had a game in TT where I asked a group of RPers to stop so we can actually discuss some things and they all ended up lynching me. Turned out the person who pushed me was a Mafia member (yes I did give a role and will, they decided to lynch me anyways).

If you wanna RP that much, there are other platforms where that is possible, but ToS is not a place for long-term roleplaying.

First off, the first day you CAN'T really role play, it's super short. Secondly, it's not like I or most use it for long term role plays, it's in the moment fun which is divorced from any sort of structured fun. Thirdly, if done right, you aren't actually distracting or flooding the chat, that's a BIG misconception. Yes, it DOES happen but not as often as it's being made out to be. Fourthly, I've role played more as a townie than I've role played as a mafia member, NK or NE. I don't see many who do otherwise either. Most of the time, people lose because someone was being stupid rather because of one or two or more role players.

you have name selection chat and D1 chat. Aren't those more than enough to satisfy your need to roleplay? I don't mind someone RPing in those moments, because, other than TP/LO calls d1, there really isn't anything serious that'd warrant anyone's attention anyways.

"if done right" and what is right, exactly? As far as I know, someone with the name "Shaggy" and someone with the name "Scooby" circlejerking around and talking about scooby snacks is distracting. Now, if they were just to post a one-line joke, which wouldn't really be RPing, I wouldn't mind that. But most "roleplaying" is just someone acting like "the great Sans that's gonna take over Salem and enslave the whole Mafia while watching Scooby Doo" and posting their gospels in multiple lines. I don't mind the one-liners, cause they are generally not really RPing, just jokes, and are over fast. I just have problem with roleplayers that see the need to continue their "fun" at the expense of other players that might actually want to... play the game.

"Yes, it DOES happen but not as often as it's being made out to be" - such statements require very good evidence. I could say I see a lot of those RPers that are flooding the chat (and, in fact, I do, but I cannot prove it, as I don't have screenshots of every single game I have). If you are gonna make such statements ,at least make it clear it's a personal experience instead of attempting to factually mislead people into believing those problematic RPers are a rare occurrence.

"Most of the time, people lose because someone was being stupid rather because of one or two or more role players." if by stupid, you mean those RPers that caused a terrible mislynch and gave Mafia a faster opportunity to claim majority, then yeah, that's a common reason for town to lose. But if you think that mislynches have not caused Town losses (especially when this is a mislynch where you cannot really scumread people because good townies would lynch anyone that prevents them from doing their job), then I am not sure what to say.

Just to make it clear, I am not for being toxic to roleplayers, but they definitely need to just shut up and let people that come to ToS for actually playing the game play it without having those "fun seekers" ruin their games when their roleplay is just terrible and causes them a lynch. This is more or less a reason as to why people have no qualms about being toxic to those, same reason as to why you'd be toxic on a Veteran that asked for TP/LO d1 and alerted.
BlastingOff
Medium
Medium

Postby dolphina » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:30 am

BlastingOff wrote: "Yes, it DOES happen but not as often as it's being made out to be" - such statements require very good evidence.

I've played over 400 games and close to none of them had that severe amount of roleplaying

This is why you should follow my ideal guides for "roleplaying":

1. Only add tiny flourishes to sentences. Do not post anything that would disrupt the flow of the game.
2. In jail or on the stand, after you've already made your point(and have the course of "inno this" flow across the chat if you're on the stand), you can add some little facts or character things here and there.
3. Don't gamethrow. Gamethrowing is not allowed, and there are no exceptions. If you want to write a will related to your character, make sure to still get across the basic points. For example, if you die, and you suspect someone, you should write that in your will accordingly. If you want to write it in the way your character would say it, sure! But don't go overboard...
Hi. I'm Caleb, and you're watching Disney Channel.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
I’m a self proclaimed anarchist, and a god of chaos (apparently).
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby BlastingOff » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:34 am

dolphina wrote:
BlastingOff wrote: "Yes, it DOES happen but not as often as it's being made out to be" - such statements require very good evidence.

I've played over 400 games and close to none of them had that severe amount of roleplaying

1. Only add tiny flourishes to sentences. Do not post anything that would disrupt the flow of the game.
2. In jail or on the stand, after you've already made your point(and have the course of "inno this" flow across the chat if you're on the stand), you can add some little facts or character things here and there.
3. Don't gamethrow. Gamethrowing is not allowed, and there are no exceptions. If you want to write a will related to your character, make sure to still get across the basic points. For example, if you die, and you suspect someone, you should write that in your will accordingly. If you want to write it in the way your character would say it, sure! But don't go overboard...

As I said, this is something I have seen personally. I do not claim for fact that it does not or it does happen, only that it happens in my personal experience (might be timezone differences? I don't know and I won't argue about it)

If people were to "RP" like your guide, that's more ok for me, in all honesty, I'd argue this isn't even that much of RPing if you are gonna only add minor "jokes" or whatever you wanna call it (most of the RPers are people that are trying to (unsuccessfully) be funny). I am not gonna raise my fork for an off-topic line, my general issue is that people just go overboard in pmuch all the cases when I have RPers in my games and it gets tiring to deal with all the "Sans" and whatever character they picked flooding the chat with posts about how they hate some other specific character and later drop the F-bombs in dead chat cause they drew too much attention to themselves and actively made it harder to keep discussions going. All in all, if they don't make it harder to discuss things, I am ok with it, though most of the RPing ends up doing it, so my experiences with it are not very positive.
BlastingOff
Medium
Medium

Postby dolphina » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:01 am

BlastingOff wrote: I'd argue this isn't even that much of RPing if you are gonna only add minor "jokes" or whatever you wanna call it (most of the RPers are people that are trying to (unsuccessfully) be funny).

That's my definition of RPing, so we clearly have a difference. You're talking about the RPers that are not following my guidelines, in which I agree that they should not RP. They tarnish the reputation of the rule following RPers, minimizing fun levels.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

He/they pronouns. Trans rights! I have fifteen names and infinite anxiety. I am the transgender masculine.

PM me for my Discord!
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby Boredfan1 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:21 pm

BlastingOff wrote:
Boredfan1 wrote:

you have name selection chat and D1 chat. Aren't those more than enough to satisfy your need to roleplay? I don't mind someone RPing in those moments, because, other than TP/LO calls d1, there really isn't anything serious that'd warrant anyone's attention anyways.

"if done right" and what is right, exactly? As far as I know, someone with the name "Shaggy" and someone with the name "Scooby" circlejerking around and talking about scooby snacks is distracting. Now, if they were just to post a one-line joke, which wouldn't really be RPing, I wouldn't mind that. But most "roleplaying" is just someone acting like "the great Sans that's gonna take over Salem and enslave the whole Mafia while watching Scooby Doo" and posting their gospels in multiple lines. I don't mind the one-liners, cause they are generally not really RPing, just jokes, and are over fast. I just have problem with roleplayers that see the need to continue their "fun" at the expense of other players that might actually want to... play the game.

"Yes, it DOES happen but not as often as it's being made out to be" - such statements require very good evidence. I could say I see a lot of those RPers that are flooding the chat (and, in fact, I do, but I cannot prove it, as I don't have screenshots of every single game I have). If you are gonna make such statements ,at least make it clear it's a personal experience instead of attempting to factually mislead people into believing those problematic RPers are a rare occurrence.

"Most of the time, people lose because someone was being stupid rather because of one or two or more role players." if by stupid, you mean those RPers that caused a terrible mislynch and gave Mafia a faster opportunity to claim majority, then yeah, that's a common reason for town to lose. But if you think that mislynches have not caused Town losses (especially when this is a mislynch where you cannot really scumread people because good townies would lynch anyone that prevents them from doing their job), then I am not sure what to say.

Just to make it clear, I am not for being toxic to roleplayers, but they definitely need to just shut up and let people that come to ToS for actually playing the game play it without having those "fun seekers" ruin their games when their roleplay is just terrible and causes them a lynch. This is more or less a reason as to why people have no qualms about being toxic to those, same reason as to why you'd be toxic on a Veteran that asked for TP/LO d1 and alerted.

D1 is too short and there's no role playing to just the name. And again, not all role players role play at the expense of others. You are looking only one demographic. I've played countless games with role players, as one myself and when I wasn't but others were and the vast majority of the time, it had no negative effect on the game. It depends on how you go about it. And if you've been playing as long or longer than me, you will see those role players that don't cause any trouble. In fact, non role players cause the MOST trouble.

They tend to be the intentional game throwers. Watch videos on Town of Salem, old archived live streams, etc. Seriously, there is no evidence that there is mostly bad role players and demonizing role players because of a few bad apples is only making yourself out to be a jerk. And my personal experience has yet to be contradicted by anyone else's personal experience. If most role players were bad and did all the stuff you said, why has there not been multiple people coming out and saying so? Again, I'm not saying the bad apples don't exist, they do but they don't represent everyone part of that demographic.

Also, in the VAST majority of games I've played, there were NO role players and the town was dumb and won. You also see this in countless videos. It's a common problem for a dumb town to still win because the game is horrendously balanced. And yes, by saying "Role players need to shut up and let people that come to TOS for actually playing the game to play it" IS toxic! Because many, many role players STILL play the game properly.

dolphina wrote:

Here's the thing, people role play differently and just being tied to tiny flourishes isn't fun at all. We should be able to choose from tiny to a moderate flourish otherwise, there's no fun in it. Sometimes large flourishes too but not always. Cus ya, just adding in jokes or references is not role playing. As for the rest, I don't recommend role playing in jail or on the stand since it wastes time and unless your super fast at typing like me, it will just get you killed. And of course I don't recommend game throwing.
Boredfan1
Jailor
Jailor

Postby dolphina » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:07 pm

Boredfan1 wrote:tiny to a moderate flourish

Yeah, that's fine. As long as it doesn't completely disrupt the game.

vocaloid KAITO #1 fan

PM me for my Discord!
My stinky FM Record
dolphina
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Previous

Return to Town of Salem Discussion