Should minor offences lead to a ban?

Post anything related to the game here!

Should minor offences lead to a ban?

Postby SparkingJay » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:50 am

This has been on my mind for a while now as I do not believe the trial system is perfect in anyway. I know that you get a couple of chances to change through suspensions before a full time ban but I think bans are very extreme and should be rare to see depending on what a person was banned for. I don’t think gamethrowing, sending links or even having controversial names should result in a ban. These offences are quite minor and should always be a suspension, but if a player abuses this system then it may lead to a ban.

I was suspended for a week for something completely unintentional as I had found a bug and mistakenly screenshotted it to show other people. This is an example of people committing offences that they may not even know of. Now I don’t think someone should therefore go unpunished but a ban is really harsh in my opinion.

I don’t expect anything to change but I just wanted to see what other people felt about the system and whether or not I have misjudged it or have any invalid points. So what do you guys think?

SparkingJay
Retributionist
Retributionist

Re: Should minor offences lead to a ban?

Postby kyuss420 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:09 am

System is fine. Its not like other games, where they can just mute people for a month or 2.
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby ScarfVendetta » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:43 am

The Trial System is pretty good, but I can agree that there are some cases where a minor and unintentional offense could do with a lighter punishment.

I had an idea for this. It would only be applicable for cases where a rule that might not be immediately obvious has been broken by accident, such as:
- Posting a link (depends on the content)
- Speaking in a foreign language (if only 1 or 2 lines, and clearly not intended as a form of cheating)

When a case like this crops up, instead of receiving a 24-hour suspension for their first offense, they would receive a warning prompt upon log-in. This warning prompt would inform the user of what rule they have broken, and could also list all the other rules so that they are aware of them. At the bottom of this prompt it could then ask the user to click an "I AGREE" button to confirm that they have read and agreed to the rules.

This would give newer players who made a small mistake a second chance before receiving a suspension. I would imagine a suspension might be disheartening for new players who aren't even aware of the rule that they had broken, and it would be a shame to put players off the game for something relatively minor.
Just some Sheriff who didn't claim until Day 5, and has no leads whatsoever

No need to be alarmed...
ScarfVendetta
Summer 2020 Winner
Summer 2020 Winner

Postby Shyyster » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:20 pm

SparkingJayYT wrote: I don’t think gamethrowing,

I stopped reading here. If you think people intentionally ruining the game for others don't deserve a ban, then something is wrong with your standards.

EDIT:Oh yeah, I remember OP from appeals. He has two suspensions on his account, one for gamethrowing and the other for cheating,for sending a screenshot ingame, so I can definitely see why his standards are out of line with the rest of the community.
TRIAL GANG GANG MEMBER
Shyyster
Easter 2020 Winner
Easter 2020 Winner

Postby SparkingJay » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:10 pm

You really should’ve continued reading, as I said if a player abuses this system then it should result in a full ban and no offence but it is quite rude of you to judge my “standards”. I never said Gamethrowing shouldn’t be punished but for someone to be banned for it for one occasion is pretty harsh.

You should just re-read what you typed and think to yourself “hm is this a mature way to respond?”

SparkingJay
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby pcekai » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:35 pm

As someone who just got off a 24 hour suspension for a mistake (was reported for gamethrowing, accidentally went afk as godfather cause im genuinely just an idiot and forgot i was in a game after i got up to pee lmao) I think the system is perfectly fine.

It encourages players to not break the rules, even if they are minor offenses. Hopefully, I'm never gonna get suspended again and now I'm gonna pay more attention. I've been reported for other petty shit, and none of it was found guilty because the system is pretty fair imo. You also get a fair amount of chances before you're fully banned, and if you continue to break the rules whether its the same rules or different rules, that should result in a ban. Gamethrowing sucks, and doing it once shouldn't result in a ban (like in my case, if i'd gotten banned that would have sucked ass) but if it's your first time and you do it once... it's not going to result in a ban. If you've already racked up some suspensions, don't gamethrow? It's not that hard.
pcekai
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Shyyster » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:14 pm

SparkingJayYT wrote: I never said Gamethrowing shouldn’t be punished but for someone to be banned for it for one occasion is pretty harsh.

Good thing that gamethrowing once doesn't lead to your account being permabanned so what are you even trying to argue? Only reports that lead to your account being permabanned are hate speech/harassment reports where you're being racist or sexist or inappropriate usernames that are racist or pedophile related.

SparkingJayYT wrote:You should just re-read what you typed and think to yourself “hm is this a mature way to respond?”

Nothing wrong with what I said. You just feel that way cause I outted your suspensions and how your bias has colored this thread.
TRIAL GANG GANG MEMBER
Shyyster
Easter 2020 Winner
Easter 2020 Winner

Postby SparkingJay » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:07 am

Shyyster wrote: You just feel that way cause I outted your suspensions and how your bias has colored this thread.

This post has nothing to do with me, unlike you I care for other peoples' accounts and know how I'd feel if I got perma banned, this post is absolutely harmless and you treat it like I am targeting you. Do not bother replying because I will just ignore it. Have a good day.

SparkingJay
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Shyyster » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:59 am

SparkingJayYT wrote:
Shyyster wrote: You just feel that way cause I outted your suspensions and how your bias has colored this thread.

This post has nothing to do with me, unlike you I care for other peoples' accounts and know how I'd feel if I got perma banned, this post is absolutely harmless and you treat it like I am targeting you. Do not bother replying because I will just ignore it. Have a good day.

I love folks that get suspended and talk about how the system needs to be changed or caring about others when the post is just a way for them to express changes they would like to the system to benefit them so they don't result in being punished again for breaking the rules, instead of simply following them. Don't hear a peep from folks like you till then and it's hilarious. Have a good day yourself.
TRIAL GANG GANG MEMBER
Shyyster
Easter 2020 Winner
Easter 2020 Winner

Return to Town of Salem Discussion