Gamethrowing or nah?

Post anything related to the game here!

Gamethrowing or nah?

Postby suckdickforjesus » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:13 am

This isn't about a game I was in, but rather a trial I was judging. Someone was being reported for "threatening to throw" if vampires tried to convert them or if they became a vampire. Issue with the report is that they were mafia. It would be impossible for them to gamethrow vamps because, if they were bitten, they would die.

My question is whether people should be allowed to threaten gamethrowing as a tactic or whether that should be grounds for report, and if so, whether it should also be considered "gamethrowing" considering they didn't and physically couldn't gamethrow (at least not in the way they were threatening).

============================

Personally, I just think it's the same as people threatening that they're jester on the stand when they're not (and it's just as obvious as that fake claim as well... I mean, what sort of jester would claim their role right as they end up on the st- whoops, off topic). It adds a certain risk to the decision. Plus 10 times out of 10, they are evil anyway. I've been in plenty of games where people threatened to throw in some way if they were hung (especially in VIP mode and outting the VIP), not a single one has actually done it or even had the ability to do it.

Also, can we please stop reporting people before we know what their role is? ;) I'm getting a little tired of people reporting survivors, jesters, exes, NKs, etc. for not voting with town or not behaving in a cooperative manner with other town, just because people assumed they are town or they gave a decent fake claim.
suckdickforjesus
Jester
Jester

Re: Gamethrowing or nah?

Postby UzayAltay » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:55 pm

TBH it seems to me Same with A Jester saying in final 3 that " I Will vote The one Dont vote me , vote me in 5 seconds "
Voting sb else ( and guiltying later ) is Gamethrowing for Jester , Because it remove any winning chances Jester have . But The thing Jester is doing is threatening others for reacting their goal : being lynched.
It is definitely not GT for Mafia , but I Dont think it is GT for town as well, as More as they Dont Actually GT after converted.
46-46 Spoiler: Town Games(27-32)

NFM50,NFM51,NFM52,14D,14E, NFM54 ,14H (AF), 14G, NFM 55, NFM 56, 15C, NFM 57, NFM 58,15F,SFM45,16B, VFM36, 16D , SFM 47 , VFM38, NFM62 , 16G ,VFM 39, EpisodeXVII, 17B , 17C , VFM44 , 17D , 17F,18C,18D,18E,VFM55,VFM57,SFM64, 19C,VFM58,VFM59 ,19D,VFM60,SFM66,SFM67,VFM64,SFM70,VFM69,XX7,XX9, VFM71,VFM72, VFM73, VFM74, 21A,VFM75,VFM76,XX14,VFM77,XX16,VFM78,VFM79

Scum Games (19-14)

NFM 48 , NFM 49 , TFM 65 ,TFM 66 , Episode XV ,TFM68 ,VFM 34, NFM61 , VFM42 , SFM53, VFM43,17E,VFM49,SFM60,CFM19,VFM54, EpisodeXIX, SFM63, 19E, 19F ,VFM62 ,VFM63,XX3,VFM66,XX5,VFM67,XX6,SFM72,XX8,VFM70,XX10,SFM76,SFM80
UzayAltay
[Forum Mafia XV] Winner
[Forum Mafia XV] Winner

Postby wozearly » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:47 pm

UzayAltay wrote:TBH it seems to me Same with A Jester saying in final 3 that " I Will vote The one Dont vote me , vote me in 5 seconds "
Voting sb else ( and guiltying later ) is Gamethrowing for Jester , Because it remove any winning chances Jester have . But The thing Jester is doing is threatening others for reacting their goal : being lynched.

It's a little different, IMO - although I agree that the Mafia threatening to gamethrow if converted isn't gamethrowing. Unless there is any evidence to the contrary, I would presume they were doing this to discourage the Vampires from biting them in case that led to an immediate loss. It's a somewhat underhand and distasteful tactic, but there's nothing objectively wrong with it. As Mafia they couldn't follow it up - and had they been Town, provided they were just bluffing and didn't actually gamethrow on conversion then there's nothing wrong.

A Jester stepping up in the final three in a kingmaker situation is a little different. They're revealing their role to take control and attempt to ensure they get a win - as a Jester in that situation, 9 times out of 10 you really won't have any other options unless at least one other player has no idea you're actually a Jester.

If one (or both) of the players refuses to vote up and/or guilty the Jester, leading to the Jester voting them up and guiltying, it's not really gamethrowing. By that stage, it's clear the Jester is in an unwinnable situation - there's no point in waiting for the clock to tick all the way down to prove it to the benefit of the blocking faction, and so there's no real harm in the Jester lynching them in response. If anything, it's outright helpful to future Jesters - if the meta is clear that not lynching a Jester when they hold the Kingmaker vote leads to an inescapable loss for you/your team, it will discourage people from blocking the Jester during a kingmaker situation.
wozearly
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby Duckferno » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:50 pm

I'm pretty sure threatening to game throw isn't allowed. But in these terms I'm not sure.
The Duck has Spoken. Please move Along Now.

psydukkk
Duckferno
Spy
Spy

Return to Town of Salem Discussion