What is the probability of ...

Post anything related to the game here!

What is the probability of ...

Postby lepelke4 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:09 am

When the jailor dies to the serial killer in the first night, the probability that the jailed person is the serial killer is 51.8%.
When the jailor dies to the serial killer in the first night and the death note has the jailor's name, the probability that the jailed person is the serial killer is 7.1%.

This assumes that the sk has no way of knowing the jailor's name.

Define the events
A = jailor died to sk
B = sk was jailed
C = sk got the jailor's name in death note

Now it is just a straightforward application of conditional probabilities:
P(B|A) = P(A and B) / P(A) = P(A and B) / [ P(A|B)P(B) + P(A|not B)P(not B) ] = 1/14 / [1/14 + 1/14 13/14] = 1 / [1 + 13/14] ≈ 51.8%
P(B|A and C) = P(A and B and C) / P(A and C) = P(C|B)P(B) / [ P(A and C|B)P(B) + P(A and C|not B)P(not B) ] = 1/14 * 1/14 / [1/14 * 1/14 + 1/14 * 13/14] = 1/14 ≈ 7.1%

update: apparently there is a bug that allows you to change your death note AFTER the day starts. If there are two dead bodies at the start of the day, and the sk manages to update his death note to mention one of them, that increases the second probability to 35%.
lepelke4
Spy
Spy

Re: What is the probability of ...

Postby SantanaTheSmall » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:44 pm

I love this kind of post, thank you. Reminds me of playing as invest before the new role list and using math to make certain decisions.

Like, if you found BG, GF, Arso, it was more probable that the person was GF instead of BG and NOT 50/50 like some smooth brained sod tried to tell me.

There’s much less of that with the new invest results and role list.
SantanaTheSmall
Medium
Medium

Re: What is the probability of ...

Postby Joacgroso » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:45 pm

I know this has nothing to do with the OP, but does anyone know what are the chances of a juggernaut spawning?
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Return to Town of Salem Discussion