Not Having My Questions Answered

Post anything related to the game here!

Not Having My Questions Answered

Postby YourFavouriteUni » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:17 pm

So I was suspended for spamming. I sent my will to some people in the game at the start of day 2 during death recaps, and it was constituted as spam. Upon making a forum post and inquiring about this, and how it was different from how I normally play the game, I was told that the report was valid because it was "unnecessary" to "flood the chat with whispers" even though I was just trying to send my will. The forum was locked so I couldn't inquire more. Upon making ANOTHER post to ask questions, I was just told that it was a valid report and it was locked AGAIN without answering my questions. I will repost my post here in the hopes of getting answers because I am VERY irritated that I can't get a straight answer from any of these mods. I want to know what exactly the definition of spam is for this game so I can make sure I don't do it again, as I have done similar things to what got me suspended for 4 YEARS without ANY punishment.

Here was my post. If this could actually be answered, that would be great.

I previously made a post where I was suspended for whispering my will to several people at the beginning of day 2. I was suspended for spamming, and asked about it, and the post was locked right after there was a response so I couldn't even ask further questions for clarification.
I was told by the mod that it is unnecessary to whisper my will to people when I can just post it in day chat. However, I had clearly whispered to a few people during death recaps at the beginning of the day in order for people in the game to be able to fully read and comprehend my will before the day chat was potentially flooded with messages and other wills. I sent it to several people because if I just sent it to less than two, and they were both evil/afk, it could have been redundant or looked bad on me. I actually have been lynched for that reason before. Being a psychic in the game, I thought this would be important, as it also gives the people who were in my psychic will less time to potentially make a fake claim and will, since people will question them quicker. I clarified this in my initial post.

So I have so many questions. How many times can you whisper at the start of the day before it becomes "unnecessary"? What and who judges when it becomes unnecessary? How is spreading information in the only way I can during that time of day (death recaps) unnecessary? If I had not whispered it and just posted it that many times in chat, would it have been fine since I wouldn't have been "flooding the chat with whispers"? Is just whispering people a lot spamming the chat due to the whisper notification that is out of my control? How many times can you send your will to people before it is constituted as spam? Is there a period I have to wait between posting my will for it to not be constituted as spam? If I had changed the message slightly instead of just having my will sent, would it have still been spam? How is "flooding the chat with whispers" spam if it is in a chat based game where the information sent is relevant to the game and with the intent of spreading important information that could aide in my team's success?

As someone who has played this game for over 4 years now, and done this without any complaint for this long, it is confusing that it is suddenly a problem. It's especially weird because I did some work on an early ToS Tribunal where I had to distinguish clear examples of spam and they were nothing like this. I assume it is because of the spambots, so ToS is cracking down on "spam." This just irritates and confuses me because I was legitimately trying to play the game using a tactic I have used frequently and seen others use (especially in ranked), and apparently it's not allowed, but I have no guideline to help me distinguish when I cross the line from informing people, to spam. I have even whispered people more than this before daytime began, sometimes with my will and sometimes with other messages relevant to the game, with no complaint. I seriously do not think whispering my will to about 4 people is spam, since the information sent was relevant to the game, sent with a clear innocuous intent, and not sent to a large amount of people. All these factors go against the traditional definitions of spam.
YourFavouriteUni

Re: Not Having My Questions Answered

Postby Shyyster » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:58 pm

From Trial's System's rules guide,

Spamming definition

That means posting your will more than 5 times during day or night phase, whether in public chat or in whispers, will result in you being guilty of spamming. This doesn't apply when you update your will to reflect new information after each night since it's no longer the same message.

Yes BMG partly cracked down on spamming due to the spambots that plagued BMG awhile ago, but they made this chat to stop players from clogging up chat and impeding the flow of the game when they spammed their will. This has been seen in Ranked if you have played it any by evils as a strategy to prevent discussions or muddle it so town could waste a day phase to lose majority.

I did some work on an early ToS Tribunal where I had to distinguish clear examples of spam and they were nothing like this.

Rules changed when ToS went P2P to focus more on black and white cases instead of those in the grey area. You can find the updated rules in the Trial System under "Rule book" tab.
TRIAL GANG GANG MEMBER
Shyyster
Easter 2020 Winner
Easter 2020 Winner

Return to Town of Salem Discussion