[Bug / Suggestion] Disconnecting & Jailed

Bug reports for the Unity Steam Beta.

[Bug / Suggestion] Disconnecting & Jailed

Postby lizspeckle » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:56 pm

Bug

https://imgur.com/a/bJqFRaT

This has happened WAY too many times since being forced into unity. I know this is not something to do with my internet connection because 1.) It allows me to log in and join a game right again and 2.) I have gotten a different message when it was a problem with my connection.

I'm not the only player that is having these issues and it is ranked players that get penalized the most. Not only does the person who dcds lose 15 elo, but also the rest of their team has to go on without them.

Suggestion

https://imgur.com/a/nsBS1cc

Being jailed is not obvious enough. Especially when you're a role that other messages might pop up for. That is why I suggest making the hauled off the jail message look more obvious like the vigilante messages pictured.
lizspeckle
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Re: [Bug / Suggestion] Disconnecting & Jailed

Postby Jerme » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:16 pm

There are a couple of ways a disconnect could occurr, the displayed message is one of them. There can be a few causes of those, so I am not sure where it actually is. Checking up that error messages could have a few causes, which had a few causes that seems to be located anywhere. Anyway I hope that this will be looked at. Regarding the ability to relog -> even a slight disconnect from the net could cause ToS client to disconnect, as it requires a constant connection.

Regarding your suggestion: The display of being jailed could indeed be a bit more "flashy".
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SwampRabbit » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:04 pm

Unity is crashing in a manner and frequency that flash never did. The entire game is crashing and closing on itself. I know I have reported this, and I have read several other people reporting it.

Jerme, idk if you are one of the coders or just a forum mod, but regardless, your uncaring dismissal of the reports as something other than a problem with the unity (since the crashing problem being reported by so many is a unity issue and not a flash issue or connectivity issue) is growing quite annoying. Are the programmers trying to fix the problem with unity crashing or not? If they are trying to find the problem, then say that they are aware of the oft-reporting bug and are working on it. If they have no intention to fix the issue, then tell us that as well.

In the meantime, the bare MINIMUM that bmg could do is discontinue the absurd penalty to ranked players whose elos have crashed along with the game since unity was forced on the players who purchased the game while ranked, free players are not penalized for programming bugs.
SwampRabbit
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:57 am

SwampRabbit wrote:Unity is crashing in a manner and frequency that flash never did. The entire game is crashing and closing on itself. I know I have reported this, and I have read several other people reporting it.

Jerme, idk if you are one of the coders or just a forum mod, but regardless, your uncaring dismissal of the reports as something other than a problem with the unity (since the crashing problem being reported by so many is a unity issue and not a flash issue or connectivity issue) is growing quite annoying. Are the programmers trying to fix the problem with unity crashing or not? If they are trying to find the problem, then say that they are aware of the oft-reporting bug and are working on it. If they have no intention to fix the issue, then tell us that as well.

In the meantime, the bare MINIMUM that bmg could do is discontinue the absurd penalty to ranked players whose elos have crashed along with the game since unity was forced on the players who purchased the game while ranked, free players are not penalized for programming bugs.

Where is Jerme dismissing? He's simply addressing the bug report? :|

I highly doubt they will remove the leaving penalty, however, they are aware of these issues. Currently I'm working with them to try to get a list of error messages and what they mean and what we can do to assist you guys, but it might take some time, as they're constantly working on the next build to push live to fix such issues, and porting the web version to Unity as well, which will also take a while.

I understand these issues are frustrating, especially when some of us can't reproduce such issues, but we're doing what we can to make sure they fix these issues for you guys, and gives us reliable information to relay to you guys. We don't have much to go off on, which might be why Jerme seems to be 'dismissing' the issue, but I assure you he is not.
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jerme » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:22 am

I am simply trying to explain the cause of the issues. It could be clientsided, serversided, or hardwarebased. I am a coder, but not creating code for BMG, thus I can tell you, that one cannot expect a software to be 100% bugfree, there are always aspects one had not considered during developing and there are also aspects that one cannot reproduce or emulate. Additionally are there issues that can hardly be fixed either. When the game crashed/closes automatically, it could be helpful to attempt to find the errorstack located in the eventviewer (windows) or the Console (mac). This could help to locate the issue, as a crashing client could be prevented by code, usually.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby rider339 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:08 am

Yea I just had this right now. The message came up saying that either the server kicked me out or I had disconnected but my internet is fine, I clicked on google chrome and my internet was completly fine. It's really annoying as I was in the middle of game and I was still alive so I could get suspended for this even though I have done nothing wrong. I've had this happen a few times now.

EDIT: Almost the very next game I played it happened again. This time I took a screenshot, and fortunately I was already dead in a game I was about to lose anyway.

https://ibb.co/4gt0YG9

and again my internet was completly fine. I'm afraid to join games now.
rider339
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Jerme » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:43 pm

I believe the client still requires a constant connection, which means even a small disconenct that randomly happened could've already ended it.

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby lizspeckle » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:27 pm

Thanks for the responses Jerme and Naru,

I think in this situation, users (myself included) are generally less interested in why things are happening, and more interested in making sure that the developers are aware of the problem and that something is (hopefully) being done about it. I have a basic understanding of how computers work so I'll never claim to know the ins and outs of connectivity issues, but I do know that I never had disconnection problems like these on flash. So I may not know for certain that there is something wrong with unity's code or whatever it may be, but I do know that this problem did not exist for before I was introduced to unity. Which is why my natural conclusion is that there is something up with unity.

With all that being said, I do appreciate you confirming that he developers are at the very least aware of this issue, and I hope it is something that they plan on looking into.
lizspeckle
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Postby Jerme » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:36 am

It will be looked at in the next week as far as I've been told.

Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to [UNITY] Steam Beta Bug Reports