Beneath the Turnstone Peaks - Pregame Discussion

A place for old, unplayed, and completed games go to lie.

Re: Beneath the Turnstone Peaks - Pregame Discussion

Postby squosher » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:54 am

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:Y'all I feel bad. I'm harassing the poor DM.

Don't worry, I'll just take it out on you by adding more mimics to the adventure.

As for timings, its looking like its more likely to be monday or tuesday. Probably going to stick with the time of 5PM GMT.

Some extra details on how things will run, mostly just random things which I haven't mentioned yet:

Pace:

I want to keep the pace of the thread fairly slow so people don't miss things whilst they are asleep or whatever. Try to keep with that, and not have a conversation with just two people for pages when you are supposed to be discussing things as a group. Obviously when it is actually a conversation between two people, that is fine.

How the plot will work and how open-ended it will be:

I will basically be working on the premise that events will happen whether you are there to witness them or not and there will be enough things going on for you to be involved in things wherever you are. There is a planned plot in terms of 'I have a timeline of events which will happen with no intervention, and when the players intervene I will change things accordingly and the players will see the results of that play out' but I don't have an exact plan of where I expect you to go and in what order. This applies both to the smaller adventure and the campaign as a whole. Its also worth mentioning that this adventure has some links to the whole campaign, and even if you stop after this adventure, your actions will probably have an impact on how things will play out for other any future groups playing in this setting.

Chapters:

I will split things up into chapters as things progressed so its easy to read the thread and find things which happened before. That will occur as the game goes on and the chapter structure is not really planned in advance. I will link the different chapters at the start of the thread.

Out of character talk:

Once the thread starts don't talk out of character too much and if you do talk out of character indicate that you are doing so in some way. There will probably be a short intermission between chaptersfor you to discuss things out of character whilst I prepare things. If you have some questions for me you can DM me.

Actions and dice rolls:

If an action doesn't have a major impact on anything and doesn't require a role then you can narrate it yourself rather than going through me. For more important actions declare them and I will tell you the result, asking for a dice roll if I need one to determine the result. If you know what dice roll your action needs you can roll when you declare the action. For example:
FredTheBarbarian wrote:/Sneak past the guard (rolled 22)

Secrets and secret actions:

If you want to secretly do something PM me. Be aware that if you do something like whispering to another character I may tell the rest of the players that you are whispering something to that character. When you make public perception and insight checks I will generally respond publically and when you make them privately I will generally respond privately. In terms of passive perception and understanding languages and stuff like that, If I expect you immediately will tell the rest of the group anyway I will post it publically, if I think you might keep it secret I will post it privately.

Other people joining and character death:

I will add a second section to the signups for people who want to join when there is space. Please do not ask to join in the thread. PM me instead. When a character dies I will ask that player if they want to stay in the game and if so they will go to the top of the queue for waiting to play. When there is space and it makes sense to bring a character in I will allow whoever is at the top of the waiting to play queue to make a character and join.

Be nice to each other:

This goes without saying but make sure you are nice to the other players (and to me). Arguements between characters are okay but make sure they stay between characters and not between players. If you have a problem with another player, PM me rather than calling out the player in the thread.
I usually go by Stereokuma in-game.

I am Nathan in DR-XXIII.

Help us count to 12020 before 2020
Help us count to 200300 before 2030
squosher
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby Blackajack » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:32 am

Out of character talk:

Once the thread starts don't talk out of character too much and if you do talk out of character indicate that you are doing so in some way. There will probably be a short intermission between chaptersfor you to discuss things out of character whilst I prepare things. If you have some questions for me you can DM me.

The easiest way to do this is to speak using ((double brackets))

Spoiler: Image
Blackajack
Jailor
Jailor

Postby squosher » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:38 am

Yeah, generally normal text is speech, italics is narration of what your character does, bold with a slash is a declared action which you need me to resolve, and some kind of brackets is out of character. I've usually gone with (ooc: [some words]), but yeah (([some words])) or works too. Do it however you like, as long as its clear.

I am Nathan in DR-XXIII.

squosher
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby squosher » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:32 am

Rather than continuously pushing things back by a day I'm just going to say it starts Wednesday 5PM GMT and stick with that. It's the player's job to be finished by that point.

I am Nathan in DR-XXIII.

squosher
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby squosher » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:21 am

Probably lol

I am Nathan in DR-XXIII.

squosher
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby squosher » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:50 am

Quick update before we start:

Start time

We will start as planned at 5pm GMT.

Progress:

All player characters are finished, except Cenvil who still hasn't responded and has been removed into the reserve list for now. As of now, the game itself is in a runnable state but I haven't finished the setting information. I hopefully will finish or at least mostly finish the setting information. If I have to choose I will focus on the stuff in peoples backstories first so as to make sure I get that done. Honestly the wierdest thing about dnd prep is like 70% of my prep time is spent deciding on the names of things. I also plan to add a world/region map (well more of a sketch lol) so you can have more context of where things are.

Game Start:

I have found out I have to dissappear for about an hour, half an hour into the game. I am hoping that shouldn't cause trouble because I can still set the scene at the start of the game and the first couple of hours will probably be mostly conversations between you. The adventure starts you travelling with a caravan along the mountainfoot path in the late afternoon, with the intention on stopping at harrowhill for the night. The idea is that you have been travelling together with this caravan for a while so even if you haven't got to know each other, you have been around each other for a while. Feel free to coordinate with other players in the exact details of the journey so far and who has talked to each other. Also feel free to make up things that have happened along the journey so far as long as they are fairly normal things and make sense. I will leave your characters talking until the conversation dies down and then I will make things happen.

I am Nathan in DR-XXIII.

squosher
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby squosher » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:51 am

A small addition:

Why you are here:

Most of you have already discussed to some capacity why you are travelling east with the caravan. If you haven't already you should decide now. Most likely you are either travelling with the caravan to get somwhere to the east or you are being paid to help protect the caravan from any dangers it might face on its journey. Also its up to you how well you know the other players and any of the NPCs on the caravan.

Where you are on the caravan

There are two wagons on the caravan which are not private wagons and just for people who don't have cargo to travel on, they are at the front and the back. Both paid guards and people travelling will be on one of those. You don't need to tell me in advance just make it clear where you are.

ScorpioDiAngelo wrote:Yyeet. I'm hyped y'all. This will be my first game that I don't have to DM.

I'm hyped and also kinda a bit stressed lol. But I will probably find it fun as soon as it starts.

I am Nathan in DR-XXIII.

squosher
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby Blackajack » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:06 am

Just to say - throughout this campaign I am on UK time. I typically sign of around 11pm and come back around 6-10pm. Also, my availability is spotty - I have other things to work on. That being said, I will try and be as available as possible.

I'm also currently running BtM so I have reason to visit the forums often for the next few weeks.

Spoiler: Image
Blackajack
Jailor
Jailor

Postby squosher » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:11 am

Don't worry I'm in the UK too. That said i'll try to make it as easy for everyone to play regardless of timezone.

I am Nathan in DR-XXIII.

squosher
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Postby squosher » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:57 am

One last reminder before we start:

I intend for the start to be open ended where you to talk to each other and (later when I get back from what i'm doing) talk to the NPCs. It is a bit wierd to just spontaneously start talking i know but thats the only way to do it really.

Good luck. If you have any questions PM me.

I am Nathan in DR-XXIII.

squosher
Christmas 2018 Winner
Christmas 2018 Winner

Previous

Return to Completed/Abandoned Games