Behind the Masks: Episode 12 - GAME OVER! Blackmailer Wins!

A place for old, unplayed, and completed games go to lie.

Behind the Masks: Episode 12 - GAME OVER! Blackmailer Wins!

Postby Blackajack » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:03 pm

Behind the Mask: Episode 12 - A Grand Arrival

Welcome to Cradlebury Court. I am your host for this grand ball. May I humbly request that you don your masks? The game is to begin soon.

This is a classic game, enforcing classic rules and classic roles, with some slight alterations. I recommend you review the rules and roles.

Roles:

Spoiler:
Augur

You are an Augur!
Death can never come too soon, for you there is new life in death. Those that die around you are merely wandering spirits, waiting for your guidance underneath your spiritual light. You offer repentance to all who dwindle on this plain of existence.

During the Action Phase, you may ask any dead players up to three questions divided (question length = 100 characters). The dead player may respond to each question(20 characters).
Three per game, during the Action Phase, you may ask the moderator of the current game and ask 1 question about someone who is already dead. Questions against anyone who is currently alive will be ignored. The Moderator will not lie about what they tell you; the information is correct.

Created by nighthawk101. Credit to Blackajack for flavor.

Barbarian

You are a Barbarian!
Across the land, your name is whispered in fearful corners and shouted from the peaks of mountains. Mighty conquerors seek mighty trophies, and the Palace is certainly a worthy trophy.

After winning a duel, gain an intimidate charge up to a maximum of 3 at a time.
During the dinner phase, you may expend any number of charges to intimidate an equal number of players. PM the moderator to use this power.
Intimidation is not announced publicly, only the victim and the Barbarian will know.
Intimidated players cannot challenge, and must accept all challenges presented to them for that challenge phase.
If an intimidated player breaks this rule, the intimidation will be publicly revealed and be forced to adopt said rules.

Blackmailer

You are a Blackmailer!
Your hobby is certainly dirty- in that you dig up dirt. Research and preparation are the keys to success. Before you entered the Palace, you were already familiar with every tidbit and secret embedded in the past of the other players- secrets that will make them cringe in fear and do your bidding.

During the Dinner Phase, you may blackmail one player. PM the Moderator to use this power.
Blackmailed players must challenge during the Challenge Phase, or will die. Only the blackmailed player will know that they are blackmailed.

Blacksmith

You are a Blacksmith!
Steel flows like water under your steady gaze and steady flame. The pounding of your hammer crafts works of art and workers of war. One of your weapons in a hand guarantees victory.

At the beginning of the Action Phase, you will be notified of the intended winner(s) of the accepted duel(s).
Three times per game, during the Action Phase, you may change the winner of a duel. PM the Moderator to use this power. You may use this ability once on yourself.

Court Jester

You are a Court Jester!
Entertaining is your bread and butter, you live and breath laughter and lightheartedness. Capable of soothing even the loudest of mobs into a quiet peace and calmness. You will do anything to prevent death, including changing your act when it occurs.

When a player dies by non-execution your position on the duel/dance list is randomized (Credit to Blackajack for this one)
Once per game you may choose to entertain your fellow guests and force a skip of the current voting phase and preventing that the MAA Shot, Poisoner's Poison and the Current execution from taking place.

Knight

You are a Knight!
Fair combat is your style, for there is true honour when blade meets blade. You find the best way to learn of someone is by your code of honour, trial by combat.

Any dance challenges you partake in are considered duels.
It will still appear to be a dance.
Blacksmith and Musician will know the difference.
Once per game, you may initiate a "Colosseum phase"
The "Colosseum phase" takes place after the dinner phase.
During this phase, all players secretly vote on another player.
Players can vote for themselves.
The two highest voted players will duel each other, and the loser will be killed.
In the event of a tie, the Knight may choose the combatants.

Credit to Blackajack

Man-at-arms

You are a Man-at-arms!
All these poor people attempting to fool their way to riches, you have, and always has, been an excellent murderer. By detecting weakness in the group, you can spread fear with one simple line - Who done it?

Once per voting phase, you may shoot one person. They will not survive the shot unless they are the Soldier. If you shoot the Soldier, the Soldier will kill you instead.
You can only shoot losers of duels/dances.
Additionally, you also gain an additional shooting every time you defeat a player in a duel or dance.
The shooting is silent, meaning it does not reveal your role.
You cannot store more than 1 shot at a time.
You start off with one shot.

Credit to Blackajack.

Musician

You are a Musician!
Perfect pitch, perfect playing... perfect music. Hands dance across strings and keys as the notes rise and fall. No matter the tune, no matter the tempo, every song ascends to perfection in your grasp. Yet with a single twist, that song becomes an instrument of death.

At the beginning of the Action Phase, you will be notified of the intended winner(s) of the accepted dance(s).
Three times per game, during the Action Phase, you may change the winner of a dance. PM the Moderator to use this power. You may use this ability once on yourself.

Peasant

You are a Peasant!
Every day, you go out onto your simple plot of land and farm. But those who look past your grubby face will find a mind as sharp as a tack. The world is an open book to you, as darting eyes pick out nuances in every scenario.

You will be notified whenever the Blacksmith or the Musician interferes in a challenge.
You will be notified of any secret plate switches.
You will be notified of the original target for the poisoner. (Not post-switch)

Poisoner

You are a Poisoner!
There is no better color than the pale blue of asphyxiation. Or perhaps a simple white pallor. Hmm, but the rich re- No matter. Your art is that of death, slipped unnoticed into a vein, on the rim of a cup, among familiar foods...

You may poison a player's food during the Voting Phase. If they eat it, they will die during the dinner phase. PM the Moderator to use this power.

Royal

You are a Royal!
The blood running through your veins is undeniably royal. An aura of command encircles and influences those who behold you. Combined with a forceful and assertive personality, you can direct others without their knowledge.

Your vote counts as two during the Voting Phase. PM the moderators to cast your second vote secretly.
Once per game, during the Voting Phase, you may force a vote. PM the Moderator to use this power. A forced vote allows you to instantly declare any vote-able player as executed. You or your role is not revealed when you used this, players will only know that a royal has forced the vote.

Sorcerer

You are a Sorcerer!
Why must the magical elite linger among the unpowered civilians? No matter. Your victory is near certain, as you are obvious the the most cunning and clever person here. The other contestants must be grateful that your powers are too flashy.

Once per game, you may choose a player to magically kill. PM the Moderator to use this power.
When you use your power, you will be revealed as the Sorcerer. There are no restrictions on when you may use this power, only that you cannot use it if you are one of the losers in a voting phase.

Soldier

You are a Soldier!
You went off to war a simple peasant boy, unsure of the world. You returned not a man, but a soldier. With guns, war is hell. With magic, war is worse. Your mind was nearly shattered, and your body forever changed.

You are immune to poison.
You will kill the MAA when he shoots you.

Student

You are a Student!
During your college years, you could never confine yourself to a single field of study. Thankfully, a natural knack for learning led to the collection of a wide variety of skills. In the Palace, this ability will serve you well, as duelling and dancing are simply other skills.

Each time you lose a duel or dance, you move up two slots on the corresponding list. Dead players count as being on the lists.

Thief

You are a Thief!
The perfect crime remains unknown. It is a mark of your prowess as a thief that no one had heard your name or seen your exploits. You have stolen from the richest kings, scammed the brightest scholars... Switching plates is like taking candy from a baby.

You may switch player's plates up to 5 times without their knowledge. PM the Moderator to use this power. If the poisoner dies, you will become the new poisoner.

Changes of note:
This role set is a modified variant of the role set from Behind the Mask: Episode 7. It contains 15 roles, with the added Knight due to popular request.

Challenge phase:
During the challenge phase, you may challenge anyone to a duel or a dance. The difference between the two depends on what role you have, but you may only challenge one person per phase. The highest on each respective chart is the winner.

For a challenge to go through, one person must challenge another, and then the other must accept the challenge. Each person is given 1 deny at the start of the game, which they can use to refuse a duel from another person. You can get more denies as a gift. If you do not respond before the challenge phase ends, you will automatically accept any challenges against you. Challenges typically may look as follow:

Deserted Monk wrote:By the nine! These fools dare quash against my skill?!

You, ruffian seem ill equipped to deal with me! I /Challenge thee hawky bastard to a duel!

The "/Challenge" is important. This tells the mod exactly what you are doing. If you don't care for roleplay, simply put "/Challenge *insert mask* *insert type of challenge*"

The duel list:
Spoiler: Barbarian
Soldier
Man at arms
Knight
Blacksmith
Sorcerer
Peasant
Blackmailer
Poisoner
Student
Thief
Augur
Court Jester
Musician
Royal

The dance list:
Spoiler: Royal
Thief
Musician
Blackmailer
Peasant
Sorcerer
Poisoner
Court Jester
Soldier
Man at arms
Student
Blacksmith
Barbarian
Augur

Due to the nature of the Knight's ability, he is not present on the dance list.

Changes from last game:
The Knight has been added.

Action phase:
During this phase, most secondary actions will take part in this phase. Pay attention to your rolecard if you are expecting anything from the moderator, or communicate with the moderator if you wish to perform your role's action. Even if you don't, tell the moderator to keep them informed.

After the action phase, duels and dances will be carried out and results will be announced to all players.

Voting phase:
Anyone who loses a duel or a dance is eligible for voting. The Royal can vote twice, but otherwise each person gets to vote once. If you are voted off by the group, you will be formerly executed and be officially removed from the game. Roles are not revealed upon death and no-one can be executed on the first round.

While some roles can avoid being voted, no single role can avoid execution.

Additionally, during this phase, if you took part in a challenge (Regardless of whether you won or lost) you may PM me for your choice of gift. There are 5 gifts to choose from -

Free guess - You can guess someone's role the following dinner phase. You cannot store free guesses, and you can only make one guess per dinner phase. This gift remains active, and the guess must be PM'd to me. If you do not use the free guess in the phase you acquire it, it will be wasted. You cannot have more than 1 of this gift.
Free deny - You can get an additional deny to use for challenges. You may hold a maximum of 5 denies.
Free switch - Free plate switch that allows you to pass your food to other people.
Guess immunity - You may ask for guess immunity, preventing you from being guessed for that dinner phase. Any guesses on you will be rendered invalid, regardless of whether correct or not. This gift is automatically used on the phase you acquired it. You cannot have more than 1 of this gift.
Premium food - Upon receiving this gift, you will be given food that cannot be poisoned. If the poisoner selected food that is premium, it will have no effect. This gift is automatically used on the phase you acquire it. You cannot have more than 1 of this gift.
Gift Reserve - This gift can be redeemed at any point later in the game for a gift of your choosing. You can only hold 1 of these at any time.

If you were challenged multiple times, you can have multiple gifts with up to 3 in a single phase.

Changes from last game:
Denies now cap at 5, to prevent abuse. It is unlikely someone actually reaches this cap and maintains it.
Gift Reserves in the past were relatively strong, and so you may now only hold 1 at a time.

Dinner phase:
After all the other phases, the 15 will sit and eat dinner. During this time, you can choose to swap plates with anybody else. Roles that interact with this phase will have additional actions or notifications. Be aware of your ability.

Some of your gifts also become relevant during this phase. Pay attention to what your gifts do, and act accordingly.

If you will it, you may guess with your life a player's role. If you are correct, you will eliminate them from the game. But if you get it wrong, you yourself are eliminated. PM the moderator to perform this action, do not guess publicly!

The Loop:
Once the dinner phase completes, the game loops back to the start and the next challenge phase is declared. This continues until only one remains.

Timeframe:
I will dedicate 24h to each phase, to ensure that the game runs at a regular pace. In some cases, primarily mod error and discourse, this timeframe may be extended. Please get your actions in before the day is done, and remember to check the thread daily at least!*
*This is experimental to ensure games run quickly. May be dropped mid-game if the situation calls for it.

Communication:
Private communication between players is perfectly acceptable. However, you must include me in the PMs. Failing to do so is grounds for eviction from the game. You have been warned.

If you ever have any additional problems that are not mentioned, feel free to PM the current moderator.

Death:
If you die, then you may leave one final post in your name. You may also prematurely make a death note before your death and send it to me; it will be released the moment you perish.

Signups:
If you want to signup, please type /join and give yourself a mask to don. Masks typically follow animals, both real and mythical.

Anyone is welcome, even newbies. The game is relatively easy to understand and plays itself in some ways.

The theme for this game is 18th century fantasy. Flintlock pistols and fireballs. Please keep that in mind when you declare your mask.

1. transportowiec96 - The Sheep
2. sunfirejr - The Gorilla
3. EyeOfTheTiger - The MockingBird
4. Cenvil2 - The Dragon
5. dota2reporter - The Sturgeon
6. Technetium - The Goose
7. Chemist1422 - The Eagle
8. JazzMusicStops - The Fairy
9. destawaits - The Devil
10. Bluedetroyer - The Phoenix
11. Vannish - The Outlaw
12. BRVR - The Snake
13. TheBrunoPT - The Direwolf
14. timurtheking - The Vulpine
15. tardispaten - The Husky

Backups:
PokemonKidRyan - The Swan
GrumpyGoomba - The Viper
Last edited by Blackajack on Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 64 times in total.

Spoiler: Image
Blackajack
Jailor
Jailor

Re: Behind the Mask: Episode 15 - A Grand Arrival

Postby Blackajack » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:03 pm

Reserved. Just in case. You never know.

Blackajack
Jailor
Jailor

Postby transportowiec96 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:06 pm

join as the sheep
transportowiec96#4236
Feel free to pm me, I'll try to help you with anything.
Spoiler:
StlnSP wrote:transportertownie96

birdyluv0 wrote:transportwiec96

JammySplodge wrote:transportowie96

JammySplodge wrote:transportwie96

Jordan917222 wrote:transportowic96

birdyluv0 wrote:transportwise96

Blackajack wrote:transportowniec96

Jordan917222 wrote:
Warden name i cant spell and i don't want to be in your sig twice wrote:

eleethacker1337 wrote:transportowniec

Moleland wrote:Transporttowiec96

VucubCaquix wrote:Transport-Townie

transportowiec96
Spy
Spy

Postby sunfirejr » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:07 pm

/join the gorilla
might as well

Avatar and signature provided by AaronC, thanks Aaron (Slighly editied by me for a bit)

Sometimes i post
sunfirejr
Jester
Jester

Postby Blackajack » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:08 pm

transportowiec96 wrote:join as the sheep

Sold, to the man in the front row!

Remember the / please!

sunfirejr wrote:/join the gorilla

And to you, my good sir!

Blackajack
Jailor
Jailor

Postby EyeOfTheTiger » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:09 pm

/join as the Mockingbird
EyeOfTheTiger
Transporter
Transporter

Postby Cenvil2 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:11 pm

/join as Dragon
Cenvil2
[Forum Mafia XVII] Winner
[Forum Mafia XVII] Winner

Postby dota2reporter » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:13 pm

/join as The Sturgeon
26-18 ToSFM
34-26 MU
0-3 MS

60-47
dota2reporter
[Forum Mafia XIX] Winner
[Forum Mafia XIX] Winner

Location: Somewhere in Kazakhstan, switching between UTC +5 and +6

Postby Technetium » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:15 pm

/join as the untitled Goose

In memory of those who have been deleted.
The last poster to survive Blindside Island will win a cookie. Or perhaps 1500...
Technetium#8515 on Discord
Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Blackajack » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:16 pm

Technetium wrote:/join as the untitled Goose

If you do spend the entire game saying Quack and win I swear to god...

And with that, 1/3rd of available slots are gone.

Blackajack
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Chemist1422 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:16 pm

I thought we were on episode 12

/join as the Shinx
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?
(still here for danganronpa i guess)

stop sending reports to me i'm not a tos game moderator
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby Technetium » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:19 pm

Blackajack wrote:
Technetium wrote:/join as the untitled Goose

If you do spend the entire game saying Quack and win I swear to god...

And with that, 1/3rd of available slots are gone.

Geese go HONK >_>

Chemist1422 wrote:I thought we were on episode 12

/join as the Shinx

The next Test game would be 15, but the Episodes are not there yet

The last poster to survive Blindside Island will win a cookie. Or perhaps 1500...
Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Blackajack » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:19 pm

/join as the Shinx

So we are. Whoops.

Will update accordingly - Getting confused with the test games. T sounds like E in my head.

Blackajack
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Blackajack » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:22 pm

Blackajack wrote:

/join as the Shinx

So we are. Whoops.

Will update accordingly - Getting confused with the test games. T sounds like E in my head.

Secondary note;

The OP! WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!? wrote:The theme for this game is 18th century fantasy. Flintlock pistols and fireballs. Please keep that in mind when you declare your mask.

I will put down the Shinx and it's fine but you would make my day if you made it something else.

Blackajack
Jailor
Jailor

Re: Behind the Mask: Episode 12 - A Grand Arrival

Postby JazzMusicStops » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:26 pm

/join as the Fairy

Spoiler: I'm probably just going to lurk forever, posting occasionally
But if there ever comes a point where my account speaks its last
Know that it was a pleasure to be here, especially in Forum Games
During my teenage years, this place was my first real community
Thank you all so much for playing silly games with me
I'll never forget you
JazzMusicStops
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Technetium » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:27 pm

Yay

Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Chemist1422 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:41 pm

someone hasn’t seen the lucario movie

/in as eagle
mist ~ she/her

i guess this is goodbye?
(still here for danganronpa i guess)

stop sending reports to me i'm not a tos game moderator
Chemist1422
FM Game Moderator
FM Game Moderator

Postby destawaits » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:51 pm

Sounds exciting. How are y'all?

/join as the sorcerer

Spoiler:
destawaits
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Bluedetroyer » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:52 pm

/join as the Phoenix
I own 3 dogs and 3 cats.
hello

Behind the Mask Record

1-1

Spoiler: BtM: School Trouble - Loner (Deceiver) - guesses DP8 - Chef (poisoner) win
IDDY BtM - Pesant - Pesant (me) win

Bluedetroyer
Witch
Witch

Postby Technetium » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:08 pm

destawaits wrote:Sounds exciting. How are y'all?

/join as the sorcerer

Wait...what?

Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby Blackajack » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:11 pm

Technetium wrote:
destawaits wrote:Sounds exciting. How are y'all?

/join as the sorcerer

Wait...what?

Yeah I was also thinking about this. It fits the theme somewhat but is the same as a role.

I'd like to ask you to change your name, thanks. I'll put it down for now until then.

Blackajack
Jailor
Jailor

Postby JazzMusicStops » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:14 pm

trying to rig the RNG, eh?

I'll never forget you
JazzMusicStops
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Vannish » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:24 pm

/Join as The Outlaw (does it work?)
Last edited by Vannish on Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sna? Sna!
Vannish

Postby Technetium » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:27 pm

JazzMusicStops wrote:trying to rig the RNG, eh?

But why try to rig it to Sorcerer?

Technetium
Godfather
Godfather

Postby JazzMusicStops » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:31 pm

Technetium wrote:
JazzMusicStops wrote:trying to rig the RNG, eh?

But why try to rig it to Sorcerer?

Best Role

I'll never forget you
JazzMusicStops
Sponsor
Sponsor

Next