Scrolls Improvements

Scrolls Improvements

Postby LordTeague » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:43 pm

First idea: 1500 point reusable scrolls.
These work like normal scrolls, except they can only be used every three hours. Perhaps these should be listed as "[Role Name]+ Scroll" or "[Role Name] Scroll+" or something like that, with some sort of + mark in the top right corner. They're expensive enough that most people are only going to buy one or two of them, but cheap enough that saving up to buy one for a role you like is indeed a reasonable option. Like the way scrolls work normally, these scrolls don't count as used until you are granted the role it prioritizes. (Good job on that account, Blank Media Games.)

For truly permanent scrolls, I'd imagine 5000 TP or even higher would be appropriate. But this is typically far out of the realm of plausibility for most players, and the above idea provides a happy medium between the consumable and the permanent scrolls.

Second idea: Anti-Scrolls.
These scrolls work like normal scrolls, except in the opposite direction--they make it less likely you'll be placed in a certain role. As such, they're useful for avoiding roles you don't like, don't feel like playing, or even downright hate. Anti-scrolls should likely be cheaper than normal scrolls as they're not as liable to dominate the game as normal scrolls are. 25 or 50 points hardly sounds unreasonable for a single Anti-Scroll. Visually they'd appear like normal scrolls, except with one of those big "NO" symbols (the O with a / through it) in red over the icon.

As a subset of both the first and the second idea, there's also the potential for a reusable anti-scroll. Again this should be cheaper than the equivalent normal scroll, and perhaps can be reused faster (2 hours instead of three?) as well.

The devs said they had considered this idea but had decided against it. I heard this information second-hand.

Third idea: Lower the prices for normal scrolls.
I've discussed it with others in the testing grounds and we tend to agree that the prices of scrolls are too high for just a single use of each one. While an excellent counterpoint was made that the use of them could dominate the game if one gets really good at a role, even the person who made the counterpoint agreed that lowering the price to 100 or even 50 points wouldn't be a bad idea.

This way, one can reasonably get a scroll after a few games of Town of Salem, and people will be more willing to buy and/or experiment with them with the town points they already have. And lowering the price by half or more will mean that players will get twice or more utility from the scrolls--which means players will be more inclined to buy more of them. This will be especially so if combined with the below suggestion.

Fourth idea: Bulk discounts/bonuses.
To be honest, I don't think this idea would mesh well with some of the other ideas I have in mind, especially the first one. But for those players who are going to spend money to get a bunch of scrolls, I'd imagine they'd appreciate it if they either got cheaper as larger and larger quantities are bought, or if you get bonus scrolls at various intervals of x scrolls bought at once. In other words, having something similar to how you get more and more town points for putting more and more money into the game.

And chances are those people who were going to put money towards the game are still going to put the same amounts, while the bulk bonuses may attract some people who weren't previously going to put money towards the game--and everyone likes getting a little something for free.

Constructive criticism and feedback appreciated.
Fastest Win: 1 day, in All Any. There were no evil roles.
Second Fastest Win: Veteran. Three days. My n3 alert took out half the town and all the evil roles.
Not exactly active in Town of Salem anymore.
LordTeague
Spy
Spy

Return to Archived PTR Posts