Miscatogarized REPORTS

Suggestions you have for the Trial System go here.

Miscatogarized REPORTS

Postby Assweasel » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:24 pm

All to often i come across reports that are mis-filed.
As an example there will be a report for Spamming when in fact it is harrassment or gamethrowing.
There is the option of starting a new report and finding not guilty on that report.

This however leads to added reports against a player that perhaps are not warranted.

A mechanism where Jurors can change the categorization of the report and submit a vote on that would be more than helpful and would also reduce the actual number of reports.

Perhaps a new category that would eliminate a host of other categories,
Example a new category TOXIC BEHAVIOUR. That encompasses hate speech/innapropriate user name/spamming.
This would give the voters a better opportunity to deal with toxic players without filing a new report.
Under the Toxic report a box so voters can add what about the behaviour was toxic.

This would better serve the community in that it seperates Nuisance players and reports from the game mechanics offences like multi accounting, botting, cheating, gamethrowing.

As for leaving a game early this should keep its own category as it can actually be a Toxic , game mechanic , or quite simply a crappy internet connection.
Assweasel
Amnesiac
Amnesiac

Re: Miscatogarized REPORTS

Postby Meandrina » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:53 pm

It has already been suggested to have a category switch and was stated that it is not possible. If we could count on players to fill out the description box a little better, then maybe we could deal with less report categories. However, getting a report with little to no details is hard enough to figure out sometimes and report category is all we have to go on.
~Judge Emeritus~
Do you know all the game rules?? Check out the guide: http://bit.do/Juror-Guide

Have you played 150 games? Consider being a juror for the trial system: http://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start If you would like to join the Trial discord server, https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Meandrina
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby Jerme » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:04 pm

In the Trial system there is already the option to duplicate a report on a player for another reason. This way you can file the report for the same user with the correct reason/category. Durign the duplication there is the option to add "leaving" as a possible reason.
Disclaimer: I try to abide by the game's softfilter and use the appropriate replacements, when I am using the forums. Those will be set in brackets. Example: [tarnation]
Visit my role suggestions and give me feedback: http://www.blankmediagames.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28949

Visit the Testing Grounds
Occupation: A developers pain and joy (QA-fox), currently "hired" by Ralozey
Jerme
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CommentEtiquette » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:43 pm

Although you make great points, the real problem here is "gamethrowers" or "cheaters" abusing the report system to their advantage. Now I understand why there is a 50 game requirement in order to play in ranked. However, as I'm sure many of you are aware there has been an increase in "gamethrowers" and "multi-accounters." Additionally, if you stay in a game with "gamethrowers" because the "gamethrower" is on your team and you want to win, you will play another game and will most likely be paired with the same people; which then ends in the same result. All too many times I have seen people who are "gamethrowing" in ranked practice because they have multiple accounts or multiple people playing with connected communication. These people, who basically have control of the game, undoubtedly aggravate legitimate players to the point where legitimate players may express their standpoint with some understandable anger. The "gamerthrowers", who have majority mind you, will then mass report this player; causing them to be suspended or banned.
Allow me to construct an imaginary scenario.
Let's say persons 1-9 are "gamethrowers" or cheaters. Persons 1-9 could be all the same person with multiple accounts, or a group of friends with an outside means of unfair communication; including but not limited to; Skype, Discord, or even a private stream.
Persons 10-15 are all legitimate players who want to have a good old time or they may be new players looking to get their feet wet and prepare for ranked.
In this scenario, let's say person 7 who is not an investigative role calls out all the mafia and neutral evil and neutral killing. For example, let's say person 7 is a mayor and they reveal day one or two. They will most likely say something along the lines of "Alright town, listen up! Person 12 is mafia. Get them up!" Mind you, this is the mayor talking, someone with no visiting capabilities. Whether or not person 12 is mafia is irrelevant. Naturally, any legitimate player who witnesses this will think "Hmm, that's suspicious. How does the mayor know who is town and who isn't. I'm going to call them out for gamethrowing."
So person 10-15 expresses their concern with person 7. That night, the legitimate player who expressed their concerns will either be jailed, executed, or killed.
The victim in this case (the person who called out a "gamethrower") will be naturally upset; more so if they have been killed or executed. So, they will express their completely understandable anger and opinions to the other dead folks, or the town if they are still alive.
At this point, the "gamethrowers" now have a "valid" (using that term extremely lightly) reason to report this upset, and most of all, innocent player; or should I say victim? Now the legitimate player who reported the gamethrower and expressed concern will be banned or suspended because the "gamethrower(s)" have massed nine reports for the same person for the same offense in the same game.
If for whatever reason the legitimate player stays in the game (perhaps the "gamethrower" is on their team) they will most likely be paired with the same "gamethrower" their next game.
The following are my proposed solutions to this problem;
1) The judges, moderators, etc. at BlankMediaGames should look at the full context of the situation, and not just one single person or "ctrl+F." Although this may lengthen the process, BlankMediaGames may actually ban the "gamethrowers" on a counter investigation; thus improving the community and the playing experience of ranked practice.
2) Make it more difficult for these "toxic" players to create new accounts; I suggest an Ip ban. Because it is very easy to create a new account.
3) Implement an "Avoid Player" system where people may avoid potential "cheaters" and "gamethrowers"
Now a counterargument may be, "Well why don't all the legitimate players report the "gamethrowers". That way the "cheaters" will get banned." My counterargument to this counterargument is the other legitimate players may not all file a report, or they may report different people. Now let me pose a question; what looks worse, three or four reports on "gamethrowing" which may be caused by lack of game mechanics knowledge or someone not paying attention, or at least nine reports all for hateful/harassing speech or spamming which has evidence of an angry player lashing out at an obvious "gamethrower?"
I hope this message finds its place and rightful reviewer among this section, so we may fix this ever-increasing problem of "gamethrowers" and "cheaters" in ranked practice mode.
Erik over and out
CommentEtiquette
Witch
Witch

Return to Trial System Suggestions